• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Could we get a PINNED list of file locations for ports and emulators?  (Read 9074 times)

8bit (OP)

Only ever having used an RS-97 before, I'm struggling getting some of the ports and emulators working on the RG350.

Doom, Hexen, Hexen 2, MAME etc. I cannot get working  Others, I've managed to work-out PURELY by trial and error.

Quake for instance; I found the correct instructions but these fail to mention the files (original PC files in UPPERCASE, need to be renamed to be lowercase before they'll work with the emulator).

Trial and error got me Quake and Quake 2 working but the Chocolate Doom (Doom, Hexen, etc.) games, Hexen 2 and the versions of MAME still elude me.

I cannot get Chocolate Doom games to run with the retail WAD files and can't locate the shareware WADs (which it runs by default) to replace them.

Some instructions are included with the "localpack" bundle(s) but again, these are missing any notes regarding upper/lower case filename naming as below.

----

required data files and locations for ports see below (note locations local or .local)

*bermudasyndrome.opk copy data to (local/home/.bermudasyndrome)
*cannonball.opk copy files to (local/home/.cannonball/roms)
*devilutionx-rg350.opk copy diabdat.mpq to (.local/share/diasurgical/devilution/diabdat.mpq)
*ecwolf.opk copy data file to (local/home/.ecwolf)
*eduke32.opk copy duke3d.grp to local/home/.eduke32
*hexen2.opk copy data1 to (local/home/.hexen2/data1)
*Quake-1.0-GCWZero-gles1.opk copy id1 to (.local/home/share/Thenesis/Quake/id1)
*REminiscence.opk copy data to (local/home/.REminiscence/data)
*shadow-warior.opk copy sw.grp to (local/home/.jfsw)

----

Would it be possible to pin a sticky with working instructions regarding the correct file-location for retail data files, detailing if the files need to be renamed or not?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:52:30 pm by 8bit »

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: Could we get a PINNED list of file locations for ports and emulators?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 04:01:19 pm »
In the OpenDingux scene we actually vetted/tested software before release. Ports should have documentation in their original threads. It appears that the majority of the releases you mentioned lack much of the documentation required for a release. Some of the listed software is based on in-progress releases for the GCW Zero that were not considered ready for release yet and thus are not documented.

ace9094

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 06:24:21 pm »
I am trying to get Quake 3 running... I can see Jutley has managed to do it  8) 8)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Jutleys

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:50:52 pm »
Install the latest opk file first i posted in the first thread

ace9094

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 12:30:17 am »
Install the latest opk file first i posted in the first thread

I have done that, but I am not sure where to put the game files and folders and which files and folder I should add :(

I have a Quake III folder in Shared with these files in it

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:33:53 am by ace9094 »
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

8bit (OP)

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 02:05:37 am »
Posts like these are exactly what I'm trying to avoid in future with a sticky.

Once the RG350 is more readily available and gets into more hands, this forum is going to become FLOODED with requests like this.

I've wasted a few hours now, trying to get Quake 3 Arena and ANY of the Chocolate Doom games working.

I managed to get Quake 1 and 2 working but this was due to stubbornness on my part.

I'm about to give up on getting any other games working.

I'm NOT asking for WAD/PAK files. I have these. All I need are instructions on where in the file-system these files should be located for the games to find them and run.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Chocolate Doom loads using the SHAREWARE WAD file but I can't locate DOOM.WAD [maybe it's named doom.wad ??] on either MicroSD card. If I could, I'd replace it with the retail one. The same appears to be true for Hexen.

ace9094

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 03:02:28 am »
Posts like these are exactly what I'm trying to avoid in future with a sticky.

I get what you mean, but you cant sticky the topic if no one has the info, the search feature is pretty good on here to find posts etc... A Sticky topic can be great, but you still get questions asked and new topics started about stuff already covered.

Taki Udon on youtube does some solid reviews etc, I am sure he would create guides / walkthroughs on how to get the games running etc. Tech James is another good one for guides, but I do not know if he is getting the RG350.

Anywho, Jutley is a sound guy, he will most likely write some basic instructions or reply to this topic :)

8bit (OP)

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 04:03:56 pm »
Apologies. My mini-rant wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I noticed your addition to the thread, which just added weight to the point I'm trying to make.

Currently, I'm having difficulty working out where I should place the additional files required to get Chocolate Doom and its associated games working, along with Quake 3 and MAME.

From my point of view, the irritating part is that CD loads and plays from shareware WAD files which I cannot locate either. On other systems, it would simply be a case of replacing the shareware WAD with a retail one.

I'm assuming CD will look for a retail WAD in a pre-determined folder and if not found, will load the shareware WAD but without instructions, all bets are off as to where exactly the file should be placed and I've already wasted enough time in trial and error.

Jutleys

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 01:34:49 pm »
The info is in the v1.4 thread look at the first post you will see where to put data files

_-Caleb-_

• Profile in GP32Spain
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 09:12:46 pm »
Hi!

Maybe a website like openhandhelds...

Sounds good for the future

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 6 Pro mediante Tapatalk

- Nullum Gratuitum Prandium -
RG350 user

themyst

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 06:09:23 am »
Count me in as a noob that broke something... I had xMame 1.3 within the Emulators directory, but accidentally deleted the whole thing.  After a reboot, all my .opks showed up under an emulator folder again, except xMame, problem is xMame isn't an .opk, it's an installed package, which I can't link into the emulators directory.

I can use commander and execute xmame.dge and run the emulator that way within /usr/local/share/xmame but no way to actually bring it back to the links section under Emulators. 

I could simply reflash the 1.4 img file again, but there has to be an easier way to bring xMame back into the emulator directory, as transferring my xMame ROMset from one SD to another takes an hour. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

----EDIT
I'm dumb.  I found the xmame_1.3.opk which reinstalled it and the icon is back in where it should be.  For anyone else who is as dumb as me,  The xmame_1.3.opk can be found at http://www.slaanesh.net/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:15:52 am by themyst »

DrWhiffington

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 01:04:35 pm »
The info is in the v1.4 thread look at the first post you will see where to put data files

I'm sorry, but I am also in the camp that has no idea where to place the wad files for these games and I cannot locate the v1.4 thread you mention... unless your speaking of the droix fw thread and the instructions are located in a file in the download itself in which case I'll have to check that out later when I'm not at work.

ace9094

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 11:04:18 pm »
I cannot locate the v1.4 thread you mention...

That thread has gone, but Jutleys WIX site I think may still be up and running... Ill look for the instructions for you ;)

AndreaSpooky

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 09:06:36 am »
has someone by chance managed to run Cannonball?
I placed the required files onto the .cannonball path, in either direct and zip format, but the emulator wont start the game...wth?

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 10:54:22 am »
has someone by chance managed to run Cannonball?
I placed the required files onto the .cannonball path, in either direct and zip format, but the emulator wont start the game...wth?
For me the game works using retrofw, I didn't get it to work with Useless FW (it that's any help).

ace9094

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 11:42:43 pm »
For me the game works using retrofw, I didn't get it to work with Useless FW (it that's any help).

On the RG350 ? - I thought RetroFW and Useless FW was for the RS-97 not the RG350... Unless I missed something which is quite possible  :o

DrWhiffington

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 05:55:41 am »
Only ever having used an RS-97 before, I'm struggling getting some of the ports and emulators working on the RG350.

Doom, Hexen, Hexen 2, MAME etc. I cannot get working  Others, I've managed to work-out PURELY by trial and error.

Quake for instance; I found the correct instructions but these fail to mention the files (original PC files in UPPERCASE, need to be renamed to be lowercase before they'll work with the emulator).

Trial and error got me Quake and Quake 2 working but the Chocolate Doom (Doom, Hexen, etc.) games, Hexen 2 and the versions of MAME still elude me.

I cannot get Chocolate Doom games to run with the retail WAD files and can't locate the shareware WADs (which it runs by default) to replace them.

Some instructions are included with the "localpack" bundle(s) but again, these are missing any notes regarding upper/lower case filename naming as below.

----

required data files and locations for ports see below (note locations local or .local)

*bermudasyndrome.opk copy data to (local/home/.bermudasyndrome)
*cannonball.opk copy files to (local/home/.cannonball/roms)
*devilutionx-rg350.opk copy diabdat.mpq to (.local/share/diasurgical/devilution/diabdat.mpq)
*ecwolf.opk copy data file to (local/home/.ecwolf)
*eduke32.opk copy duke3d.grp to local/home/.eduke32
*hexen2.opk copy data1 to (local/home/.hexen2/data1)
*Quake-1.0-GCWZero-gles1.opk copy id1 to (.local/home/share/Thenesis/Quake/id1)
*REminiscence.opk copy data to (local/home/.REminiscence/data)
*shadow-warior.opk copy sw.grp to (local/home/.jfsw)

----

Would it be possible to pin a sticky with working instructions regarding the correct file-location for retail data files, detailing if the files need to be renamed or not?

I was able to get doom and doom II running using prboom+. Found this thread over on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/dq4bfy/doom_and_doom_2_on_the_rg350/

still no luck with hexen and heretic though

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 06:07:03 am »

On the RG350 ? - I thought RetroFW and Useless FW was for the RS-97 not the RG350... Unless I missed something which is quite possible  :o
Oops haha yes my answer is not meant for the RG 350 - it's for the LDK Game console. Somehow I must have jumped into the wrong forum, sorry about the confusion. :)

Dr_Bunsen

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 02:33:21 am »
I couldn't get Quake, Dissolution of Eternity or Scourge of Armagon working using .local/home/share/Thenesis/Quake/id1. I ended up using the following instructions for the internal card location, which worked fine for Quake and the mission packs:

Thenesis Quake v1.0 for GCW-Zero

This version is based on Quake v1.09 and GLQuake v1.0.

You can put the data either in the internal or external SD card.
Do not copy any .cfg file ! It may cause trouble.

- For the internal SD card, put the data files in this path:
  /media/data/Quake
  This directory is searched wherever you put the OPK.
- For the external SD card, you cannot use the OPK.
  You must use the binary files directly and put them on the SD card along with the data in
  /Quake

Copy only the .pak files in their associated directory:
- For original game, copy files in "id1" subdirectory.
- For "Dissolution of Eternity mission pack", copy files in "rogue" subdirectory.
- For "Scourge of Armagon mission pack", copy files in "hipnotic" subdirectory.

With all mission packs you should have the following files:
Quake/id1/pak0.pak
Quake/id1/pak1.pak
Quake/hipnotic/pak0.pak
Quake/rogue/pak0.pak

Ensure that all pak file names are lower case !

You can also use the demo version of Quake.
In this case you have only one pak file:
Quake/id1/pak0.pak
My Portable Devices: Sega Game Gear, PSP 3000, PS Vita, Nvidia Shield Portable, GPD Win, GPD XD+, Bitboy V1, Coolboy RS-97, PAP KIII Plus, LDK Landscape, 1Up-Pix Portable Landscape (RPi 3B+), Anbernic RG-350.

HercTNT

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 03:31:08 am »
Sorry for the necro bump, but I want to get an update on a few of these programs. I'm having issues with the following and hoping someone can step in and help:

Fheroes2: I have the files and copy them where requested, game dumps to desktop on launch. for the life of me I can't figure it out.

BOR: no luck copying the pak folder over, BOR just does not see it. Seems to be two different locations for BOR data and neither seem to work. Any ideas?

Hexen2: same as Fheroes2, i copy over the data files and game dumps to desktop.

Starcraft, Warcraft, and Warcraft2: all three do not function and no luck getting them to function. likely due to proper directory structure for data of which has not been posted.

Quake2 addons ground zero and reckoning: just don't know the directory structure, these addons exist in rogue firmware, but i have not seen their appropriate directory structure posted.

Jazz Jackrabbit: Runs fine but without music.

Heretic: Runs fine but without sound at all.

Sorry for the wall of text, I could really use some help on these. I'm loving my rg350. Most everything runs excellent.

Post a new topic