Author Topic: Best ES theme  (Read 591 times)

mattyj513 (OP)

Best ES theme
« on: June 03, 2020, 10:20:09 pm »
Greetings all. Got my rg350 humming after a few tweaks and some setup, lots of which was accomplished from information obtained here. Currently running Rogue 1.7.9.9z, installed preconfigured EmulationStation, box art scraped using Skraper at 150x150px, gamelist files cleansed of all foreign characters and moved to internal SD. After some trial and error with my favorite theme, gbz35-dark by RxBrad, I was able to get it running quite simply by using a past version of the theme, found here https://github.com/rxbrad/es-theme-gbz35-dark/tree/aefbbb2cd935ebf60599c59947a1962d44bc3c81 . The immediate visual difference between this version and the most up to date version I use on my other devices is the carousel bar is white as opposed to black. Here are a few screenshots, and big thanks to RxBrad for all his work on his fine themes.

ace9094

Re: Best ES theme
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 01:41:28 am »
Greetings all. Got my rg350 humming after a few tweaks and some setup, lots of which was accomplished from information obtained here. Currently running Rogue 1.7.9.9z, installed preconfigured EmulationStation, box art scraped using Skraper at 150x150px, gamelist files cleansed of all foreign characters and moved to internal SD. After some trial and error with my favorite theme, gbz35-dark by RxBrad, I was able to get it running quite simply by using a past version of the theme, found here https://github.com/rxbrad/es-theme-gbz35-dark/tree/aefbbb2cd935ebf60599c59947a1962d44bc3c81 . The immediate visual difference between this version and the most up to date version I use on my other devices is the carousel bar is white as opposed to black. Here are a few screenshots, and big thanks to RxBrad for all his work on his fine themes.

Looks Great, please consider sharing the EmulationStation set up etc (Obviously with NO roms included) I would like to check it out :) I noticed "Artwork" scraped / gathered using Scraper can have quite a large file size even when selecting smaller image dimensions like 150x150. I recommend using "Mass Image Resizer" to shink them. for example It will shrink a 120kb PNG to 20kb (you can choose) and the image quality still looks great. This will help speed up when browsing games with Artwork ;)

I have been tweeking SimpleMenu for a  couple of weeks, but I am struggling witha few theme / skin options.
The latest SimpleMenu I am using also has a version of the GBZ35 Theme which was modified by Weston Campbell.

I have been using Scraper to rework boxart, however I cannot get any "Custom Mix" files to work :( I followed various guides and turotials but no joy. I am trying to create a theme so the artwork sits over the Template like the examples below.

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 02:19:08 am »
Thanks for doing the footwork to find a working version of this, @mattyj513

The corresponding non-dark version of this would be at https://github.com/rxbrad/es-theme-gbz35/tree/e2f32f08a16207ff4f605c463a8d1dfb52bdcd67

I'm actually a bit tempted to add another RG350-specific tree to the themes that starts at that code level, but adds back in all of the other systems I've added since 2017.

EDIT: In case I get too lazy to actually do this (which is likely), it'd just be a matter of taking the RG350 compatible version of the theme, and copying all of the additional subfolders from the latest version into it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:32:52 am by RxBrad »

mattyj513 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 03:04:35 am »
Ok, here is my es setup, .emulationstation folder from /media/home/ on internal sd. My actual gamelist files are included in the respective system folders, you can reference the info in these when you set your gamelist/rom/image path in your scraper program of choice. Follow along Mashtec's video, he covers everything for scraping.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHQKRWsoKrG11m3IYBRXpe2MHqkRbOLy/view?usp=sharing

Here is my roms folder from my external sd, folder from /media/sdcard/, although that may be media/RG350/ if you aren't on Rogue. There are no roms included, the atari 2600 folder has an empty file named as a ROM and the corresponding boxart just to illustrate the path and format. Each system folder in roms has a boxart folder for boxart, other setups may use media as folder or have a different path entirely.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-NBVT_tlwR9qleXeRxOGlhIuFC6bs1M0/view?usp=sharing

My setup has several thousand roms on a variety of systems, ES takes less than a minute to load. Boxart images range between 5-40kb each with no additional resizing/shrinking performed. So far my biggest complaint is the lack of favorites/custom collections, I have created folders named -favorites- in systems and added duplicate roms and boxart links, obviously less than ideal, but easy enough for a quick shortcut to my go to games. Once I have the time I plan on seeing what I can cobble together for custom collections, on my pi I have some nice "systems" for Mario, Zelda, final fantasy, etc. encompassing games from a variety of systems.

The only two errors I have experienced with my unit thus far is a duplicate entry for MGS in psx in EmulationStation, tried everything to remove and I either have 2 entries or 0 entries, and after a long session, 5 or 6 hours, played off the charger my battery level back in gmenu showed 100%. The flashing green indicator light did begin at (I believe) 10%, but fully charging and playing for a bit off charger still showed 100%. Power off and on didn't fix it, but resetting with the reset button got it back on track.

ace9094

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:10:27 am »
Ok, here is my es setup, .emulationstation folder from /media/home/ on internal sd. My actual gamelist files are included in the respective system folders, you can reference the info in these when you set your gamelist/rom/image path in your scraper program of choice. Follow along Mashtec's video, he covers everything for scraping.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHQKRWsoKrG11m3IYBRXpe2MHqkRbOLy/view?usp=sharing

Here is my roms folder from my external sd, folder from /media/sdcard/, although that may be media/RG350/ if you aren't on Rogue. There are no roms included, the atari 2600 folder has an empty file named as a ROM and the corresponding boxart just to illustrate the path and format. Each system folder in roms has a boxart folder for boxart, other setups may use media as folder or have a different path entirely.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-NBVT_tlwR9qleXeRxOGlhIuFC6bs1M0/view?usp=sharing

My setup has several thousand roms on a variety of systems, ES takes less than a minute to load. Boxart images range between 5-40kb each with no additional resizing/shrinking performed. So far my biggest complaint is the lack of favorites/custom collections, I have created folders named -favorites- in systems and added duplicate roms and boxart links, obviously less than ideal, but easy enough for a quick shortcut to my go to games. Once I have the time I plan on seeing what I can cobble together for custom collections, on my pi I have some nice "systems" for Mario, Zelda, final fantasy, etc. encompassing games from a variety of systems.

The only two errors I have experienced with my unit thus far is a duplicate entry for MGS in psx in EmulationStation, tried everything to remove and I either have 2 entries or 0 entries, and after a long session, 5 or 6 hours, played off the charger my battery level back in gmenu showed 100%. The flashing green indicator light did begin at (I believe) 10%, but fully charging and playing for a bit off charger still showed 100%. Power off and on didn't fix it, but resetting with the reset button got it back on track.

Awesome thank you for sharing your EmulationStation set up, I noticed the XML files for Arcade games is onlly 35 bytes for MAME, FBA and NeoGeo.. Is that correct ? (Sorry I have not really used EmulationStation so not sure)

Thanks again for uploading the configs
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

mattyj513 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:09:41 am »
As of right now I am only running a mix of consoles and handhelds  (atari 2600, gb, gbc, gba, nes, snes, gg, Sega and psx). Plan on upgrading my external SD from its current 32 gb up to 64 or 128, but not a big priority at this point. Roms, boxart, and gamelist files will follow the same formats though, so the systems I uploaded can be used as a guide for  any additional.

RxBrad

• RxBrad.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 08:24:19 pm »
I just added a RG350_RG280 branch to both versions of the theme on Github.  This basically takes the version from July 24, 2017, and adds all of the systems that were added since then (and updates any artwork that was updated since then).

https://github.com/rxbrad/es-theme-gbz35/tree/RG350_RG280
https://github.com/rxbrad/es-theme-gbz35-dark/tree/RG350_RG280

I suspect that the logos for the dark theme will probably need some re-tweaking, since the current versions were revised to be more readable when they're on top of a black background.  I don't want to do too much tweaking until I have ES on my RG350... but I might have more tweaks I'll do, depending on the capabilities of the RG350 build of the frontend. (e.g. reworking the status bar on the bottom of the screen).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:27:46 pm by RxBrad »