Author Topic: BeebEm for RG350  (Read 6375 times)

j6wbs (OP)

BeebEm for RG350
« on: January 09, 2020, 10:55:41 am »
Hiya,
  I have put up an initial release of BeebEm (Acorn BBC Micro emulator) for the RG350, and will appreciate feedback.

https://github.com/jeremyrayner/beebem-rg350/releases/download/0.6.2/beebem.opk

A big thanks to Bob Fossil for the RS97 version upon which this is based, and for his direct help in getting started with this little project.

To install, put beebem.opk into your APPS folder, it should then appear in your Emulators section.

Running BeebEm at least once will create the ~/.beebem/roms/ folder if not already present
You will then need to locate and put System ROMs (aka BIOS) with exactly these names into ~/.beebem/roms
'acorn_dnfs' - Acorn DNFS 1.2 (chip ID# 201666)
'os12' - Base operating system for BBC Model B (v1.2)
'basic' - BBC Basic Programming Language (v2)

Sources: https://github.com/jeremyrayner/beebem-rg350/

Note:
I've made it save per-game keyboard mappings and settings to ~/.beebem/kbd/ folder, and you can save state of emulator to the ~/.beebem/saves/ folder too
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:28:52 pm by j6wbs »

mougrim

Re: BeebEm for RG350
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 10:58:03 am »
Thank you for a good work :) We already have an Spectrum emul, and now BBS Micro :)

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

goodfodder

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 02:02:15 pm »
Unfortunately can?t get it working, having problems with the rom files taken from a working ver of windows beebem, comes up with basic not found.
Placed them within the roms folder, tried .rom and .ssd extension - appreciate clarity

j6wbs (OP)

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 04:13:01 pm »
Hi, thanks for trying BeebEm on the RG350
The files have to be all lowercase, and they should not have any extension on the filenames,
so for example,  it is literally basic rather than BASIC or basic.rom

I hope that helps get it working for you, I really appreciate your feedback

Cheers

Jez

Dr_Bunsen

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:24:16 am »
Thanks! This brought back some memories of my own BBC model B back in my youth! I have this working for my two fave games, Chuckie Egg and Frak! I'm just wondering what the "click" button is in the button config? Couldn't this be the RG350 start button instead? Would be useful for games like Chuckie Egg to map S (which starts the game) to the RG350 start button.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:29:23 am by Dr_Bunsen »
My Portable Devices: Sega Game Gear, PSP 3000, PS Vita, Nvidia Shield Portable, GPD Win, GPD XD+, Bitboy V1, Coolboy RS-97, PAP KIII Plus, LDK Landscape, 1Up-Pix Portable Landscape (RPi 3B+), Anbernic RG-350.

j6wbs (OP)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:55 am »
Hiya, yes indeed, when I get the chance I hope to investigate further refinements to the available keyboard mapping.

At the moment click does not map to an Rg350 physical key, this is a holdover from the Gp2X original.

I hope (with the next release BeebEm for RG350 0.6.3) to move current L1 and R1 buttons to maybe L2 and R2 respectively, and to also add the start button to available buttons to map, thus giving another 3 buttons to readily use during games or on game menu screens. (Maybe even look into the analogue sticks too next, not sure how easy they are to map) (not started looking at this release yet, real life gets in the way (happy to look at pull requests on github for any other contributors))

Glad you are having fun with Frak and Chuckie Egg. Another tip for Chuckie Egg, if you go to game options and select video:centered, it looks a bit better imho.

I am also going through a few of the most popular games and creating keyboard mapping files, hope to put them on my site, so that most games can be played straight away, with dpad used for directions and B for jump and A for fire. I will update this thread with any updates.

Thanks for the feedback, and any more suggestions gratefully received

Cheers

Jez
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:02:40 am by j6wbs »

Dr_Bunsen

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 04:53:21 pm »
Thanks for the feedback @j6wbs really appreciate the work you're putting into this and keyboard mapping files would be really welcome. Here's the games I played in my youth and I have loaded up although I've only created mapping for Frak! and Chuckie Egg, I would be interested to know what your list of games for future mappings is:

Frak!
Chuckie Egg
Hunchback
Overdrive
Repton 1, 3
Elite
Exile
Castle Quest
Citadel
Fortress
Yie Ar Kung-Fu

Do you have an area to upload mappings if I get around to setting any more game up?
My Portable Devices: Sega Game Gear, PSP 3000, PS Vita, Nvidia Shield Portable, GPD Win, GPD XD+, Bitboy V1, Coolboy RS-97, PAP KIII Plus, LDK Landscape, 1Up-Pix Portable Landscape (RPi 3B+), Anbernic RG-350.

eltehero

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 08:27:34 am »
Nice to see BBC emulator ported to RG350, old computers are my favourite gaming sytems. I had so much fun on my CPC 464. 

I haven't got a RG350 yet but does this BBC emu play games fullspeed with sound?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:33:41 am by eltehero »

goodfodder

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 11:33:53 pm »
The files have to be all lowercase, and they should not have any extension on the filenames,

Cheers

Jez

Finally managed to get it working, thanks

re feedback, any chance of mapping say L2 directly to the key mapping screen? going through the menu each time is clumbersome, as is being asked whether I want to quit
Master 128 support would be nice

Appreciate your efforts
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:35:53 pm by goodfodder »

petekeys

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 09:44:56 pm »
Thanks for the excellent Beebem emulator for the RG350.

It works really well at full speed with sound. Best handheld BBC Micro emulator I used to date in terms of speed and sound.

Being able to map more keys would be great if you ever get any time to update this.

Thanks

Pete

phil8715

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 09:53:10 pm »
Does Beebem work on Stock on the RG-350?

Tannhauser1

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 07:52:57 pm »

Cheers

Jez

Finally managed to get it working, thanks

re feedback, any chance of mapping say L2 directly to the key mapping screen? going through the menu each time is clumbersome, as is being asked whether I want to quit
Master 128 support would be nice

Appreciate your efforts

I'm having the same problem. How did you fix it? Thanks

goodfodder

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 09:20:59 am »
Are there any plans for the ?beta? firmware as it does not appear to be work? 😔

SuperBadger77

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 12:44:50 pm »
Hi - I would strongly second the above request. The Beebm emulator is my favourite of them all but sadly it doesn't seem to work with the OD Beta firmwares which most devices now support. Ay chance someone could look into this?

goodfodder

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 10:55:48 am »
Just a FYI for beeb lovers - beebem is now available for the adam build thanks to plrguez 👏

runs great 👍🏻

https://github.com/plrguez/beebem-od/releases/tag/0.6.2-od-2021-10-03-fix01

klopjob

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 10:59:08 pm »
Hi,

Would or could this work on a 351v?
Any help much appreciated would love to run bbc gams on this device.

Post a new topic