Author Topic: [Skin Release] Material Design for Gmenu2x  (Read 6071 times)

Ryvan

Re: [Skin Release] Material Design for Gmenu2x
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 11:09:52 pm »
This theme looks pretty good generally, but I think it would be better if the icons for the 'system applications' were consistently 'square' (like the WiFi one), round (like the info one), or symbolic (a book for documents). That is, mixing the design choices up makes it feels unpolished.

Also, the icon/color scheme chosen for WiFi connectivity seems wrong, or to be more specific it doesn't automatically scream 'wireless stuff over here'.. For one it looks like a mis-colored variant of the common icon/logo for RSS. And on top of that, blue or green are much more common color choices for wifi icons except when the environment calls for a white/black or monochrome look. In addition, most of the time the bars stack vertically (90 degrees) rather than out to top right (45 degrees). At some level it's a matter of stylistic choice, but in a way not unlike skeuomorphism a universal shared representation makes thing instantly recognizable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS#/media/File:Feed-icon.svg

Hellboy82BR (OP)

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 03:19:55 am »
@Ryvan
"This theme looks pretty good generally, but I think it would be better if the icons for the 'system applications' were consistently 'square' (like the WiFi one), round (like the info one), or symbolic (a book for documents). That is, mixing the design choices up makes it feels unpolished."

hmm, very interesting, but If I standardize that icons in this shape, maybe it will clash with emulator icons, I need test it to see.
But for now, I appreciate your suggestion!  :)

"Also, the icon/color scheme chosen for WiFi connectivity seems wrong, or to be more specific it doesn't automatically scream 'wireless stuff over here'.. For one it looks like a mis-colored variant of the common icon/logo for RSS. And on top of that, blue or green are much more common color choices for wifi icons except when the environment calls for a white/black or monochrome look. In addition, most of the time the bars stack vertically (90 degrees) rather than out to top right (45 degrees). At some level it's a matter of stylistic choice, but in a way not unlike skeuomorphism a universal shared representation makes thing instantly recognizable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS#/media/File:Feed-icon.svg"

Actualy, You're right about the RSS, for some reason, in my research the database show that icon as "wifi".  I need to change it.

Thanks for the advice and tips, I will consider. 🙏

Gemei A-330, JXD-7800, Rs-97, Rg-350, Pocketgo2

a330boy

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 01:05:24 am »
@Hellboy82BR wondering if this works with stock firmware?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:12:57 pm by a330boy »

a330boy

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2020, 06:11:10 pm »
@Hellboy82BR PokeMini, please. Thanks.

Post a new topic