Author Topic: [SKIN Release] LegieUI and SymphieUI skins  (Read 3361 times)

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
[SKIN Release] LegieUI and SymphieUI skins
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:52:54 am »
My new projects, two weeks of presumptuous skinning cycle in the making...
LegieUI

An 350teric skin based on the PS2 GOAT RPG, Tales of Legendia, that provides (almost) the full package:
  • A true-to-source menu and widget designs, with custom section icons.
  • Replacement font tuned for readability while maintaining the feel of the original
  • And a loader that takes you back a simpler time!

Targeting ver. 1.0.0 of 350teric and onward. Can be used on any firmware, so long as your frontend version matches the target.

LegieUI Download

And if you're not as much a fan of the bold gold/bronze designs of Legie and prefer something more traditional, I'm also happy to introduce...
SymphieUI

Another 350teric skin, based on the GameCube-born Tales of Symphonia, that provides a simpler interface with more subtle features.
  • Monochrome icons, borrowed from m1024x's retrogame-skin-pack/PSNext
  • Custom button designs repurposed from LegieUI
  • Three distinct border/color styles - each containing six unique background designs for each one!

Also targeting ver. 1.0.0 of 350teric and onward. Can be used on any firmware, so long as your frontend version matches the target.

SymphieUI Download
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:46:06 pm by SeongGino »
It's just your average Seong.

Please contribute to the (un)official Dingux repository, to protect the life cycle of our favorite handheld platform! https://github.com/SeongGino/RetroGame350-AppRepo

Wanderer987

Re: [SKIN Release] LegieUI and SymphieUI skins
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:17:51 am »
Both of these look very nice!!

Thank you for all your effort....

Want to try the Gold one first, can you repeat the base requirements again? Is that build version 1.5 that is needed and onward?

Thanks

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

ace9094

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 07:28:17 pm »
Nicely done, I appreciate the time you have taken to produce and test them.

I will look forward to trying them out...

Thank you for sharing them...
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Anubys

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 10:37:27 pm »
They look nice, thank you, but where can I download this "350teric"?
Google can't help, as there is a band with this name, all I could find is their music.

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 04:02:34 pm »
Oh, right, kind of forgot that 350teric/Esoteric hasn't actually formally released yet.

Current official release of Esoteric can be found here.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:58:51 pm by SeongGino »

Please contribute to the (un)official Dingux repository, to protect the life cycle of our favorite handheld platform! https://github.com/SeongGino/RetroGame350-AppRepo

Anubys

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 11:34:47 pm »
Jeez, thanks!
I have tried it, and I think it's a great loader. I tested the skins as well, and I must say, they are the greatest skins I have found so far.
Only one question about Esoteric, is it possible to use screenshots in the file selector? If so, how?
I managed to set it up on my device that has the GMenuNX on it, but not on the other one which now has Esoteric - I use that device to test new things.
If it's possible to use screenshots, I would install on the main device.
Thanks again for your work!

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 01:23:13 am »
Only one question about Esoteric, is it possible to use screenshots in the file selector? If so, how?

Currently the skins have previews disabled, but you could very well enable it yourself. You'll have to take a peek in the skin.conf of each one to do so, though.

Code: [Select]
# how game previews look
# game previews live in a subfolder called .previews, within a rom folder, with each file within named after the exact file name it's to be attached to, minus extension.
# e.x. For the game "Tales of Phantasia (Eng).sfc" in a given folder, your preview name should be "Tales of Phantasia (Eng).png" inside of the .previews subfolder.
# -1 means fullscreen as a background
# 0 means disable, and don't search fodlers
# positive int means animate in from the right hand side for this many pixels
# default is 142
previewWidth=0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:26:49 am by SeongGino »

Nikojiro

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 01:57:20 pm »
Is Esoteric the new name of GMenuNX, or a fork?

Wendigo

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:33 pm »
Very nice skins, especially the LegieUI.
One small suggestion: I think you should reduce the luminescence of the yellow highlight drastically. It should already be enough if the highlight was slightly lighter than the background. Currently it feels a bit disturbing to the eye.

Your skins inspired me to work on my one one. But since I still have to wait for Christmas to get my RG350 it is currently just a dry run. ^^
Could you find some documentation on creating skins or did you just clone and adapt an existing one?
Would be interesting if it was possible to add some kind of switch to the settings for changing the preview behaviour.

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 05:00:09 pm »
One small suggestion: I think you should reduce the luminescence of the yellow highlight drastically. It should already be enough if the highlight was slightly lighter than the background. Currently it feels a bit disturbing to the eye.
Doneso. However, I'm currently awaiting on one extra new feature for Esoteric before pushing a new release, as well as some other smaller changes for LegieUI specifically. You can always download the updated skin.confs if you like.

Your skins inspired me to work on my one one. But since I still have to wait for Christmas to get my RG350 it is currently just a dry run. ^^
Could you find some documentation on creating skins or did you just clone and adapt an existing one?
A little bit of column A and B.
Much of the base widget designs are derived from m1024x's retrogame-skin-pack, with naming conventions/feature updates copied from podulator's personal repo and commits. I then compiled my findings into (pretty bad) guideline texts for my own personal use. Though, podulator's pretty good about informing me on new features and how to implement them. Much of the issue is that Gmenu2x skin maker documentation is pretty dry, shy of doing carbon copies of existing designs.

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 07:49:39 pm »
Updated both LegieUI/SymphieUI. Check the OP links for more info.

(Still nothing to do with that 'new feature' I wanted to add, but better to push it now than wait a week and a half.)

Wendigo

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 06:48:33 am »
Thx for the links @SeongGino.
Lets see if I can come up with something during the holidays.

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 06:47:11 pm »
Updated SymphieUI's fonts and sizes for readability improvements.

Updated OP, reflecting recent Esoteric releases and switching to GitHub hosting for images.

datadragon

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 04:34:51 am »
I like the 350teric/Esoteric launcher and the skins are very good. In SymphieUI, the new font/size is a bit too big now as text for DosBox RG350 and GCW Connect both get cut off on the left side a bit. 350teric seems to be missing showing the added text that is normally shown when an icon is selected. For example when you select SMS Plus GX in the standard launcher it shows txt of SMS/GG/SG emulator near the bottom. Maybe it should display in the section info bar area. The GMU icon doesnt display well on the gold (C) skin. The edit and config text on the section info bar also should be darker font to show better. I played around for a minute, adding my own wallpaper. Im playing with the icons next just trying out esoteric.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 05:50:55 pm by datadragon »

SeongGino (OP)

• Twitter!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2020, 05:33:14 pm »
I like the 350teric/Esoteric launcher and the skins are very good. In SymphieUI, the new font/size is a bit too big now as text for DosBox RG350 and GCW Connect both get cut off on the left side a bit.
Known issue. No real way to fix this without Esoteric's developer accounting for this edge-case. The move to a new font and size was a democratic vote for the sake of list readability. The cleaner list view, IMO, trumps the few cases of letter cut-offs.

350teric seems to be missing showing the added text that is normally shown when an icon is selected. For example when you select SMS Plus GX in the standard launcher it shows txt of SMS/GG/SG emulator near the bottom. Maybe it should display in the section info bar area.
Again, that's something Esoteric's dev didn't want to put in. But I can see why - space is at a premium. For now, that subtext only displays in the file browser.

The GMU icon doesnt display well on the gold (C) skin.
I'd fix it, but;
A) Not a graphic designer
B) I don't personally use GMU and neither has anyone else brought this up to me. It's an edge case for icons that only use black on Window Type C.

The edit and config text on the section info bar also should be lighter font to show better.
Blame Tales of Symphonia for that one.

To me, it looks fine - and haven't had others really say anything about that. I'd like to change it specifically for the section bar, but right now a skin can only declare two font colors, and you can't choose what's `Text` and `AltText`.

I'd also request that if you have your own skin, please kindly make a new thread for that. If you're making your own thing, it's kind of off-topic now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:35:39 pm by SeongGino »

rweizer

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2020, 01:16:57 am »
Can't wait for my RG350 to get here so I can check the Symphonia skin out!

Post a new topic