Author Topic: [SOLVED] (S)FTP / SSH connection from GNU/Linux  (Read 802 times)

Wendigo (OP)

[SOLVED] (S)FTP / SSH connection from GNU/Linux
« on: December 28, 2019, 05:55:10 pm »
I've got some trouble getting the RG350 to connect to my Linux Mint 19.2 PC via Network connection.
Did everything mentioned in this guide but the RG350 isn't found.

What I have done so far:
1) Started the Network application on the RG350 and enabled "Allow logon without a password"
2) Connected the RG350 USB2 port (right hand side) to the PC via the USB-C cable that came with the unit
3) Tried to access the RG350 via the filemanager ftp://10.1.1.2 and FileZilla but all I get is a timeout
4) lsusb doesn't list anything that looks like the RG350

Do you have any suggestions on how to establish the connection?

EDIT:
Solution
1) If you connect the RG350 with your PC (and you use the cable that came with the device) and the network manager shows no additional connection:
- Buy a new USB-A to USB-C (the one that came with the RG350 seems to only work for loading the battery)
2) If the RG350 is connected and the network manager shows the new connection but you can't enable it
- Connect the RG350 to your PC via the USB cable
- Disable and delete your wired ethernet connection (the one you use for browsing the internet)
- Rename your USB - Ethernet connection to something like "USB Ethernet RG350" (you should now be able to connect to the RG350)
- Enable the ethernet connection again (the deleted connection is automatically recreated)
- You should now be able to browse the internet AND connect to your RG350  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:52:19 am by Wendigo »

iball

Re: (S)FTP / SSH connection from GNU/Linux
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 06:23:19 pm »
Use a password.  Most SSH apps don't like password-less-but-not-using-a-cert-either connection.

gameblabla

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 06:47:13 pm »
It could also be a bad, defective USB type C cable as some reported. We had a similar issue on the RS-97's and their crappy mini usb cable after all.

Wendigo (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:14:43 pm »
Thanks for the answers.
Unfortunately using a password didn't work either.
The cable that came with the RG350 at least worked for charging.
Looks like I need to buy another USB-C cable in order to check.

computermouth

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 06:36:16 am »
I'd bet Mint uses Network Manager. On my debian install, I had problems with Network Manager interfering with the connection.

If you're only using wifi on your PC, the following won't help you.

However, if you're using a wired connection, you may need to create a new named wired ethernet connection. On my desktop, my wired connection over my intel eth chip was called "Wired connection 1", and the wired connection over the RG350's gadget eth was also called "Wired connection 1". It's a real annoying problem/bug with Network Manager. But in my case, giving the gadget eth connection a different name solved it for me.

Wendigo (OP)

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 04:10:29 pm »
Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it didn't work either.  :'(

EDIT:
I tried to connect it via Ubuntu Live DVD and it didn't connect either. Guess the culprit is really the cable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 04:34:26 pm by Wendigo »

Ninoh-FOX

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 06:08:32 pm »
You need put the user in filezilla how root, the same for hss. [email protected]

yoshi41

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 02:27:09 am »
I have 2 RG350. Both charge with the shipped cable, but none of them can be used to connect to a PC. One cable is so weird, that my wireless Logitec keyboard/mouse stops working, as soon as I connect the RG350.  ::)
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 03:34:28 am »
I have 2 RG350. Both charge with the shipped cable, but none of them can be used to connect to a PC. One cable is so weird, that my wireless Logitec keyboard/mouse stops working, as soon as I connect the RG350.  ::)

I have 2x RG-350 and both of mine connect fine on Windows 10 v1903 - Strange
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

Wendigo (OP)

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 05:56:18 pm »
@Ninoh-FOX Providing a user and password didn't help either. It seems the device isn't even recognized by the operating system

I'm currently waiting for my new USB A/C cable to arrive.

I wonder if they changed the included cable over time. My RG350 had quite an old firmware when it arrived (compile date: Oct 12 2019).
So it must be one of the older ones.

mougrim

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 07:08:57 pm »
My cable was faulty too. Worked OK for charging, but no good for data transfer. New cable for 4 bucks solved the issue for me.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Wendigo (OP)

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 03:21:28 pm »
I got my new USB-A <-> USB-C cable and after plugging it in, the network manager showed a new connection. So it was definitely the fault of the cable that came with the RG350.
But in order to access the device via SFTP, I had to follow @computermouth advice and rename the network connection first. Otherwise the network was shown, but could not be activated.

Thanks again for your help @All.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic