• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: [Release] RgQuake - Enhanced Quake 1 port  (Read 5640 times)

shpuld (OP)

[Release] RgQuake - Enhanced Quake 1 port
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:01:36 pm »
Hello everyone,

I got myself a rg350p a few weeks ago and was disappointed by the available Quake ports so I took matter to my own hands.

I present to you RgQuake v0.1.0, a software rendered port based on sdlquake with a bunch of ehancements made with the rg350 devices in mind. Funny enough being software rendered it runs faster than the existing Thenesis Quake or when I tried running FTE Quakeworld on it, both with gles renderers. The speedup is a good bonus in addition to getting back graphical features that glQuake removed.

The main features:
    - Configurable dual or single analog support
    - Added cheats menu into options
    - Added option for generous autoaim for gamepad use
    - Enhanced particle effects (no squares, less "pop" when they disappear)
    - Added Weapon wheel (with slowmo)
    - Smoothed out monster movement
    - Added option for crosshair
    - Added option for non-centered weapon models
    - Smoothed out the lightning gun beam when turning

More info and downloads:
https://github.com/shpuld/rgquake/releases

Let me know how it works for you guys or if there's anything you'd want to see. I'd also be curious if it works on gcw0 out of the box, but I don't have one.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:35:00 am by shpuld »

gameblabla

Re: [Release] RgQuake - Enhanced Quake 1 port
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 12:48:04 am »
This port is good news, thanks for doing it !
Funny enough being software rendered it runs faster than the existing Thenesis Quake or when I tried running FTE Quakeworld on it, both with gles renderers.
Yup, the drivers were crap on the 2014 based firmware. They are a lot better on the new beta firmware though so you could try it there.

I hope you fixed the crashes with SDLQuake because i had my own attempt too and it wasn't pretty haha....
I'm going to play with your source code and port

shpuld (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 06:27:39 am »
This port is good news, thanks for doing it !
Funny enough being software rendered it runs faster than the existing Thenesis Quake or when I tried running FTE Quakeworld on it, both with gles renderers.
Yup, the drivers were crap on the 2014 based firmware. They are a lot better on the new beta firmware though so you could try it there.

I hope you fixed the crashes with SDLQuake because i had my own attempt too and it wasn't pretty haha....
I'm going to play with your source code and port

Faster drivers is good news! Perhaps I can get FTE Quakeworld to run at better speeds then, it's very flexible quake engine that can easily be used to make completely new games, I could see how my older games run.

Regarding SDLQuake crashes, were you perhaps building on a 64bit system? The code isn't 64bit safe and it crashes a lot because of it. That's part of the reason why I didn't bother with makefiles for anything but opendingux as getting the 32 bit builds going is a bit of a pain when you need to install i386 SDL and it can conflict with your amd64 SDL. On the rg350 I had it crash only once, it was after a long play session and I haven't investigated yet.

shpuld (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:34:18 am »
I just released an update, it just adds support for launching hipnotic/rogue mission packs to the OPK and makes sure the weapon wheel isn't broken with the new weapons.

https://github.com/shpuld/rgquake/releases/tag/v0.1.1

Elaphe666

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2020, 12:14:40 pm »
It doesn't work. I've tried everything and the game files are never found.

LvL99Bard

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 04:06:11 pm »
I get the same problem too. Its never able to find the .pak files. Followed all instructions to the letter.

Elaphe666

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 10:12:58 pm »
Let's hope the OP can say exactly what files are needed and where they have to placed. I'm using a RG350M with the Rogue firmware. The instructions are not clear at all, which does not help.

shpuld (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 08:52:04 am »
if you're using OPK, then pak0.pak and pak1.pak need to be like
/media/data/Quake/id1/pak0.pak
/media/data/Quake/id1/pak1.pak

if you've created the directories on the device itself with DinguxCmdr, double check the spelling, v and u look incredibly similar and I ran into this issue myself when I first tried Thenesis Quake.

if you've got the set up like that and it still doesn't work, I wonder if rogue firmware does something differently than what I have, I have not yet tried installing it.

PabbaShabba

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 03:13:08 pm »
Heya! Beautiful work here- sooo much better than the old quake port..

Do you have any plans to do Quake 2 or User Addons for Rg350?? 

To my very basic understanding- Sdl quake 2 runs okay but I personally couldn't find out how to play the Addons- The other Quake has god awful controls and wacky framerate

shpuld (OP)

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 05:12:12 pm »
Heya! Beautiful work here- sooo much better than the old quake port..

Do you have any plans to do Quake 2 or User Addons for Rg350?? 

To my very basic understanding- Sdl quake 2 runs okay but I personally couldn't find out how to play the Addons- The other Quake has god awful controls and wacky framerate

Thanks!

I don't really have plans to deal with qQ, I don't have the same sort of extensive history with Quake 2 as I do with Quake 1. I'd rather use rgquake as an engine for my own games if I want to do more for the RG350.

For Quake 2 mods (including the mission packs) to work, they need to be recompiled for the right arch, as quake 2 went from portable bytecode to native binaries for its gameplay code.

PabbaShabba

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 12:46:41 pm »
Well if you do decide to make some games using the engine i hope you post them here
Stay safe and thanks for your quick reply :)

jimfaker

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 10:01:03 am »
Hi!

Great thanks! By the way, I also got a GCW0 and it works, I installed it via wifi with the GCW Zero Manager1.0 but I did have to put the Quake folder into the media/data/Quake, not like it was saying on screen, mnt/RgQuake.

Also my GCW0 has the old firmware, I didn't update to the new one yet.

And well just configure the controls, but thats how each person want hehe.

Again, great, thanks, I got a new port of Quake working on my RG350M and GCW0 and the best port to date :)

Di0k0n0s

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 01:16:07 am »
I just wanted to chime in and say this is great work! Probably the best FPS port I've played on the RG350. I know you said that you'd rather spend time on your own games, but I'd love to put the ZDoom bug in your ear. The community could really benefit from a ZDoom port of similar quality! ;) Thanks again!

jimfaker

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 05:35:46 pm »
Oh yes, tha would be great, a nice zdoom updated and without all the issues, you have my vote for that  ;)

jimfaker

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 09:55:15 am »
Hello everyone,

I got myself a rg350p a few weeks ago and was disappointed by the available Quake ports so I took matter to my own hands.

I present to you RgQuake v0.1.0, a software rendered port based on sdlquake with a bunch of ehancements made with the rg350 devices in mind. Funny enough being software rendered it runs faster than the existing Thenesis Quake or when I tried running FTE Quakeworld on it, both with gles renderers. The speedup is a good bonus in addition to getting back graphical features that glQuake removed.

The main features:
    - Configurable dual or single analog support
    - Added cheats menu into options
    - Added option for generous autoaim for gamepad use
    - Enhanced particle effects (no squares, less "pop" when they disappear)
    - Added Weapon wheel (with slowmo)
    - Smoothed out monster movement
    - Added option for crosshair
    - Added option for non-centered weapon models
    - Smoothed out the lightning gun beam when turning

More info and downloads:
https://github.com/shpuld/rgquake/releases

Let me know how it works for you guys or if there's anything you'd want to see. I'd also be curious if it works on gcw0 out of the box, but I don't have one.

Hi! How do you do to make the music work? I have the files but it doesn't seem to work, either ogg, wav or mp3.

Thanks

dezign999

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 04:08:16 am »
Wow, can't wait to give this a go! Question, does this support mods other than the mission packs? I'd really love to play against Obots. Works on Thenesis, but whether I'm using bots or not I find that the constant random crashes has kept me from playing that port anymore.

dezign999

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 05:41:51 am »
if you're using OPK, then pak0.pak and pak1.pak need to be like
/media/data/Quake/id1/pak0.pak
/media/data/Quake/id1/pak1.pak

if you've created the directories on the device itself with DinguxCmdr, double check the spelling, v and u look incredibly similar and I ran into this issue myself when I first tried Thenesis Quake.

if you've got the set up like that and it still doesn't work, I wonder if rogue firmware does something differently than what I have, I have not yet tried installing it.

I'm on the latest Rogue Firmware for both my RG350/m & RG280V. Keeps telling me it can't find the files in mnt/RgQuake/id1. I've tried both install methods and can confirm my files are where they should be as Thenesis launches just fine.

sleepyadam

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 08:24:39 pm »
I'm on the latest Rogue Firmware for both my RG350/m & RG280V. Keeps telling me it can't find the files in mnt/RgQuake/id1. I've tried both install methods and can confirm my files are where they should be as Thenesis launches just fine.

I'm having the same issue and I'm on the same firmware that came with my device.

EDIT : Fixed this by making the pak files all lowercase. So no PAK0.PAK it should be pak0.pak. Hope this helps. Amazing port btw, the weapon wheel makes fast weapon switching so smooth. I'd love to have some kind of mod loader so I could play with bots, considering weapon switching is a big part of Quake multiplayer and this makes it so easy on console.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:24:24 am by sleepyadam »

kokossexy

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 05:11:04 am »
Hello! Thx for your hard work!

I tried this on opendingux beta but unfortunately it returns to home on launch. Previously had thenesis port which also couldn't get to work on beta..

Any chance to get opendingux beta compatibly? I can provide logs / do some testing if that would help  ;D

Thanks in advance!

rchrdcrg

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 12:37:44 pm »
Hello! Thx for your hard work!

I tried this on opendingux beta but unfortunately it returns to home on launch. Previously had thenesis port which also couldn't get to work on beta..

Any chance to get opendingux beta compatibly? I can provide logs / do some testing if that would help  ;D

Thanks in advance!

I'd like that too! The beta firmware is good enough for daily use now, but a lot of programs still need to be recompiled for it.

Post a new topic