Author Topic: X9 Handheld  (Read 349 times)

shim80 (OP)

X9 Handheld
« on: April 14, 2019, 01:05:24 pm »
Hi.
I bought a X9 handheld portable console.
The UI is terribly slow and laggy, some games aren't running at fullspeed and the firmware seem old (2013).
I didn't open it, I don't want to break speakers, so I have absolutely no idea what is the CPU, but I have micro usb port and micro sd card slot.
GB/GBA and NES/SNES are running fine.
PS1 games running but too slow (something like 15fps)...
n64 games seem to bo not recognized.
Is there a way to install a custom firmware?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:14:10 pm by shim80 »

gameblabla

Re: X9 Handheld
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 02:04:40 pm »
These devices uses a poorly documented ATJ2279 processor.
it is unknown what architecture this uses (if it's not ARM or MIPS, possibly even a proprietary one) and the only thing close to it is a someone getting the logs from the console.

It also uses an internal NAND (unknown filesystem) and not an sd card like consoles like the RS-97, LDK or Bittboy.

The only way i could see of hacking it through is by running a corrupted ROM image. Really.

I don't personally own this device but honestly this is a bit hopeless : even the neo geo mini took some time before it got cracked open. (even though it was Android based)

Surkow

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 02:15:35 pm »
These devices uses a poorly documented ATJ2279 processor.
it is unknown what architecture this uses (if it's not ARM or MIPS, possibly even a proprietary one) and the only thing close to it is a someone getting the logs from the console.

It also uses an internal NAND (unknown filesystem) and not an sd card like consoles like the RS-97, LDK or Bittboy.

The only way i could see of hacking it through is by running a corrupted ROM image. Really.

I don't personally own this device but honestly this is a bit hopeless : even the neo geo mini took some time before it got cracked open. (even though it was Android based)

Appears MIPS based:

High Speed 32bit RISC
- Up to 450 MHz
- 8-stage pipeline
- MIPS32? instruction set
- Programmable Memory Management Unit
- 16KB I-Cache and 16KB D-cache
- 24kB DSPRAM
- 8kB ISPRAM
http://www.datasheet-pdf.com/PDF/ATJ2279-Datasheet-ActionsSemiconductor-836671

shim80 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:59:35 am »
Okay...
According to you, what is the best hackable chinese console ?
They can only run emulated games? There is one with n64 support?

gameblabla

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:30 pm »
Appears MIPS based:
High Speed 32bit RISC
- Up to 450 MHz
- 8-stage pipeline
- MIPS32? instruction set
- Programmable Memory Management Unit
- 16KB I-Cache and 16KB D-cache
- 24kB DSPRAM
- 8kB ISPRAM
http://www.datasheet-pdf.com/PDF/ATJ2279-Datasheet-ActionsSemiconductor-836671
That makes sense i guess given that it seems to use a real time os. Any leaked SDKs out there ?

Okay...
Dunno, depends on what you need.
The upcoming Retrostone 2 would sound like what you need, it will appear on Kickstarter by the end of this month.
There's the Retrostone 1 but that one has an awful screen so i can't recommend it.
Both could run Mupen64Plus. (But even then, don't expect it to be perfect)

There's the Retro v3s too that will come out but this surely won't do N64 emulation, despite what the leaked flyer says.
(The v3s SoC has no 3D GPU)
However, if you want to do PS1, SNES and maybe 32x emulation on that, it sounds like what you need.

TheReaperUK

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 04:17:24 pm »
I just bought the X9-S The New 2018 128bit 16GB Version with 5.1" screen, Firmware version 1.1.10.120301 (If i reading this right that looks like 2012?).

And it has issues, GB/GBC and NES all run great, GBA runs great but after 4 to 10 minute has some sound issues (cracking and sounds like an underwater tin can), Megadrive is 50/50 some games run ok others are to slow and jerky, now here is the strange one, SNES is running way to fast, Like about 40% faster which makes some game unplayable, CPS 1 Games run ok, Neo Geo bios/Logo screen is running really slow, but games seem to play ok, some do have slower music audio playback.
Menu is a rip-off of the PS-Vita, Lots of round icons and it scrolls up and down 3 screens.

Also when charging light flashes blue/red and never stops, i had it charging for just over 10 hours and it was still flashing, have tested with different chargers and USB Cables still the same so i guess that's just how it is.

I hope at some point someone will make a 5 to 6" handheld that will work great with all emulators (I can Dream), So GCW Zero is still the best handheld i have just wish it had a bigger screen.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:20:48 pm by TheReaperUK »
Lots of Handhelds but my favourite is still my GCW Zero.

TheReaperUK

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:00 pm »
Okay...

The only Handheld i have found that can do N64 is most android powered handhelds, I had/have a JXD S7800B but the battry is dead now so i don't use it, that could do N64 but still was not perfect, the GPD XD Plus Android Tablet does N64 as well and some other android powered handhelds but you do have to pay way more cash for these.

Raspberry Pi 3 in some sort of handheld console also could do N64 but looking on Ebay the prices are just way to much.
Lots of Handhelds but my favourite is still my GCW Zero.

shim80 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 06:51:06 pm »
Hmm... Look like handheld device with raspberry pi zero inside is the best choice.
I've also seen some mini boards (pi zero-like) with H3 (quad core chip) with retropie support (orange pi zero).
But where I can find a simple kit to turn it to handheld console?
The Retrostone and GCW Zero are too much expensive, I don't think I can spend more than 70$ for a handheld retro console...
I love the PSP/GBA form factor (buttons on left/right sides, screen on center), because of L/R trigger, so I regret this X9 is so locked... If I can help to improve it or something, feel free to ask
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:05:47 pm by shim80 »

ker

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:46:24 pm »
What about a second had PSP/PSVita?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

gameblabla

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 12:12:58 am »
Hmm... Look like handheld device with raspberry pi zero inside is the best choice.
I've also seen some mini boards (pi zero-like) with H3 (quad core chip) with retropie support (orange pi zero).
But where I can find a simple kit to turn it to handheld console?
The Retrostone and GCW Zero are too much expensive, I don't think I can spend more than 70$ for a handheld retro console...
I love the PSP/GBA form factor (buttons on left/right sides, screen on center), because of L/R trigger, so I regret this X9 is so locked... If I can help to improve it or something, feel free to ask
Cases for Raspberry pis are going to cost way too much unless you do it like yourself.
And even in kit form it will still be expensive. (see RetroCM3 among others)
Also, i feel like the Raspberry Pi zero is too little for N64 emulation.

What about a second had PSP/PSVita?
Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
That would have been okay... except for the fact that N64 emulation is terrible on those.
(and the Vita has to run in PSP mode for Daedalus)

Post a new topic