Author Topic: True Price Announcement For The NEOGEOX  (Read 8559 times)

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
True Price Announcement For The NEOGEOX
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:34:26 am »
The NEOGEOX finally has a price attached to it and it is nowhere near what was thought. There is a deluxe version that comes with an awesome docking station that has tvout and a NEOGEO joystick as well and it is planned to be sold at $199! There is also a regular version available without the joystick or dock. Here are some pics and a list of the some of the games as well. More information is at WWW.NEOGEOX.COM

Since it has a sd card slot maybe someone will be able to do something that will open up the scene on this device

The list of games are as follows:
King of Monsters
Metal Slug
Realbout Fatal Fury
Magician Lord
Puzzled
League Bowling
Cyber Lip
Last resort
Baseball Stars 2
Fatal Fury
Mutation Nation
King Of Fighters 95
3 Count Bout
NAM 1975
Super Sidekicks

and a few more I was unable to make out on the screen shots. They seem to be fighters.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:37:28 am by qbertaddict »

SNESFAN

Re: True Price Announcement For The NEOGEOX
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »
$129 for just the console. This looks pretty good. I will curb my enthusiasm until I see the chipset on this bad boy though.

The dock and joypad looks decent for a set top. If this can be modded to run dingux like the game gadget, throw some mame on it... it might be a really decent alternate to a cabinet. Also looking forward to see when someone can generate a pin-out for the controller port and see if other controllers can be hacked into it.

I've never been a fan of neo-geo personally, but as a stock solution this looks good if you are one of those people.

skelton

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »

If they use 16:9 screen mode should be a big mistake IMO.
Retired

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:52 am »
The price isn't bad, but for $129 it better play its own games flawlessly. The times, they are a-changin' and it would be really embarassing if emulation on the Zero outperforms this official emulator.

I don't get the appeal with the Neo joystick aside from the nostalgia factor. It's a portable console, so why market it with an optional controller that's the size of a PS3?

I wouldn't mind buying one but my expectations would be very high. It better play its games as good as the original hardware, support other emulators (or be easily hackable) and hold no excuses when it comes to build quality. So long as it can meet that criteria, count me in. However, because a lot of that can't be proven until it arrives in the hands of consumers, I don't expect to place a preorder.

lemmywinks

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:57 am »
I don't get the appeal with the Neo joystick aside from the nostalgia factor. It's a portable console, so why market it with an optional controller that's the size of a PS3?

Two reasons:

1 - It looks ace.
2 - Playing it on your TV with an arcade joystick will be equally ace.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, RS-97, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

k0en

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »
NeogeoX was made by Blaze. Gamegadget is made by Blaze. Gamegadget support Opendingux. Do you think Neogeox support Opendingux too?  ::)

gibberish

• Obscure Handhelds
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:21:03 am »
NeogeoX was made by Blaze. Gamegadget is made by Blaze. Gamegadget support Opendingux. Do you think Neogeox support Opendingux too?  ::)

If the innards are the same (Ingenic JZ4755) then it's possible. But getting it to work with the dock and joystick might be more work. Honestly, I see this thing going the same way as the GameGadget... if it's just an emulator then there are plenty of better solutions around already that sell for less.

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »
I am going to take the chance. I'm assuming they know there are other devices that run neogeo almost perfectly So theirs will have to be at least or better than what is out there. Since SNK is directly involved I have high hopes. Also if you have never played a real neogeo the joysticks were amazing. The system and games are incredibly expensive and some are hard to find. Some games go for well over $1000. A rare version of aero fighters 3 sold for $30000. The tvout with the negoeo joystick and dock will save people A LOT of money. Not too mention how awesome the games are.

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »
I think it looks rather awesome however I carry a laid back form of scepticism towards Blaze due to their generally crappy emulation on past systems.

I really want to see the size of the joystick too, it doesn't appear to be in scale with the original as it looks much smaller, and knowing Blaze they will fill it with poor quality buttons and sticks, which will make it pretty to look at but worthless to use.

Not all Neo Geo games are expensive by the way, plenty of great and fun games can be had for a small amount of cash.

I can't decide whether it's a good buy at $200 or not. Kind of expensive in the sense that the same amount of cash could land you the real thing, but cheap if you factor in that games should be free via roms.

P.s. Aside from Blaze paying a licensing fee to utilise the SNK brand name, I doubt there's any other involvement from them. Also, 'SNK' hasn't been 'SNK' for many years now, if you know what I mean.

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
Not all Neo Geo games are expensive by the way, plenty of great and fun games can be had for a small amount of cash.
MVS games are not expensive AES are. One example is metal slug check out the difference in the prices. Also realize there are A LOT of fakes and conversions out there. There are a few lower priced titles that are worth the money. Its amazing how much money emulation saves us.  Im going to take the chance. I hope it is not worse than the other crap I have been throwing my money at lately. Only time will tell. I'm on a multicard kick until something truly different comes out.

DisgruntleElf

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:22:55 pm »
There is no mention of it playing MP3s, movies, or support for any other console.  I wonder if they really do plan to dedicate the device to just NeoGeo.

yoshi41

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:59:48 am »
I bought my AES 20 years ago and there are still new games developed for it (Gunlord is already sold out, before it has been released). Amazing.

http://www.ngdevteam.com/

I will buy this Neo Geo X just for the collection and I hope for a perfect emulation.

The system and games are incredibly expensive and some are hard to find. Some games go for well over $1000.

Yes, some AES carts are pretty expensive...

http://www.neo-geo.com/guides/aesguide.html

A rare version of aero fighters 3 sold for $30000.

This was a fake AES version...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?236232-The-Final-Chapter-of-the-Fake-Aerofighters-3-I-Need-your-help-%28-NGDEV-TEAM-161-in1-ETC%29
Emulator packs and fact sheets for Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo and Pandora.

qbertaddict (OP)

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:39 am »
This was a fake AES version...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?236232-The-Final-Chapter-of-the-Fake-Aerofighters-3-I-Need-your-help-%28-NGDEV-TEAM-161-in1-ETC%29
ROFL that guy is a genius and an asshole. It was even published in retro-gamer magazine  ;D

cutterjohn

• !
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:16 pm »
$129 for just the console. This looks pretty good. I will curb my enthusiasm until I see the chipset on this bad boy though.

The dock and joypad looks decent for a set top. If this can be modded to run dingux like the game gadget, throw some mame on it... it might be a really decent alternate to a cabinet. Also looking forward to see when someone can generate a pin-out for the controller port and see if other controllers can be hacked into it.

I've never been a fan of neo-geo personally, but as a stock solution this looks good if you are one of those people.
neo-geo was freaking expensive when it was available.  I seem to recall carts that were $200+ or something silly like that...

Trevor Belomont

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 06:15:32 am »
This thing looks frickin' sweet. You can count me in when it drops. I am a hardcore Metal Slug fan. Everything else is icing on the cake.
Why doesn't Nintendo do something like this? Could you imagine, if they re-released their old handhelds, loaded up with classic Nintendo (and maybe even 3rd party company) games, with TV out, docking stations, extra controllers, light zappers, etc... They could actually make some money. I think the Virtual Console is a big joke. Doesn't make any sense. Who wants to step back into the 80s and 90s to pay 80s and 90s prices for retro games, wich are a dime a dozen online now....?

This is the basic route companies like Nintendo should consider if they are interested in making some real money on old gems. Just my opinion, but kudos for SNK for taking action on their own part. Hats off to them.

Frank_fjs

• My simple Dingoo web site
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »
I think it looks cool and am glad they dropped the price, but it's not for me. If the controllers were interchangeable with real AES ones and you could freely load your own roms onto the device I might be tempted, but having to pay $15 a pop for an emulated game is not for me.

retrogamer

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:17 pm »
In the US, you will also be able to get this at gamestop, the full package or just the handheld.

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/neogeo-x-handheld/104734
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 04:01:06 pm by retrogamer »

cdoty

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »
I think it looks cool and am glad they dropped the price, but it's not for me. If the controllers were interchangeable with real AES ones and you could freely load your own roms onto the device I might be tempted, but having to pay $15 a pop for an emulated game is not for me.

The Game Card looks like an SD Card, so there's a possibility of loading your own roms. There's probably some encryption, but that might get broken pretty quickly, since game cards do not appear to be locked to a specific system. Not to mention, given an encrypted rom (Ninja Master), the unencrypted values are known.

This pages also mentions that it's linux based:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120911_558737.html

SNESFAN

Post a new topic