Author Topic: Retro Arcade Mini 2 - 7 inch screen  (Read 16095 times)

lazanti (OP)

Retro Arcade Mini 2 - 7 inch screen
« on: June 16, 2019, 12:57:52 pm »

8)

MOFO

Re: Retro Arcade Mini 2 - 7 inch screen
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 04:43:10 pm »
Now this is nice and people won?t go blind with the nice big screen.
Any links where its sold?

odjinan

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:25:17 pm »
suddenly, you've got my attention...

TheReaperUK

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 04:14:00 am »
I've seen them Listed on eBay UK but item comes from China/Hong Kong and i think it's based on the firmware that most PMP Players use like the 5.0"/5.1"/7" and some 4.3" screens PMP Players, you know the ones that don't have an internal SD-Card.

Here is a eBay Listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YEPO-7-LCD-HD-Portable-Retro-Game-Console-Handheld-Classic-Video-Games-Machine/392314020674?hash=item5b57bce342:g:qKIAAOSwJshdA-kY
Lots of Handhelds but my favourite is still my GCW Zero and also RG-350, But the RG-300 is 2nd Best.

jimmybonsaville

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:49:38 am »
Hmmm not sure how I feel about this. Ive never really had an issue with the current screen on my Arcade Mini. Its just about the right size for personal use and portability. However that processor looks like it could shift things a bit better. Still not 100% happy with Snes and mame performance on my Mini. HDMI out however could push me over the edge on a purchase ha

RetroFreakPc

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 10:05:26 pm »
 i dont know what to think about this machine...  it is a midway between Rs07 and a Bartop, if implement a switches joystick maybe interesting, otherwise i still like more my rs07 flat mod as portable console it is cool.

kfchow

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 12:22:25 am »
i dont know what to think about this machine...  it is a midway between Rs07 and a Bartop, if implement a switches joystick maybe interesting, otherwise i still like more my rs07 flat mod as portable console it is cool.

I agree.  I have a RS-07 and the analog stick just kills the whole product.  Takes away from the whole arcade experience and is terrible for fighting games like street fighter.
Handhelds:
Lynx, GameGear, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP 2000, PSP Go, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb, ODROID-GO, PocketSprite

jimmybonsaville

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 09:43:46 am »

I agree.  I have a RS-07 and the analog stick just kills the whole product.  Takes away from the whole arcade experience and is terrible for fighting games like street fighter.

Not sure if this would help you...However I seen a post on another forum...think was spanish?? Basically someone thought the top left joystick action wasnt travelling enough. To remedy this he filed away the plastic to gain more travel. Im wondering if you did the same in all 8 directions? The joystick might perform better then?

kfchow

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 06:49:57 am »
Won't help.  You need the microswitches for the clicky click feel.
Handhelds:
Lynx, GameGear, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP 2000, PSP Go, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan Color, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb, ODROID-GO, PocketSprite

odjinan

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:07 am »
<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20220523084302/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrITxN2YCU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrITxN2YCU</a>

They are still using the clunky original firmware like on the rs07, but this time i'm not sur that we could get any useless or retrofw for this device..

Jutleys

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 09:49:05 am »
I do like the look of this one mmm gonna have to get one to get some cfw running on it :)

jimmybonsaville

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 11:40:28 am »
I do like the look of this one mmm gonna have to get one to get some cfw running on it :)

Good man!! Looks like Playstation Emulation is working VERY well looking at some of JLs videos!

JHale

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 03:14:16 am »
I just picked one up and it's running a custom version of Retroarch on Android. I got it to connect to the PC, but no drivers as of now.

jimmybonsaville

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:23 am »
I just picked one up and it's running a custom version of Retroarch on Android. I got it to connect to the PC, but no drivers as of now.

So its running android!? Now thats interesting!! Someone mentioned it was a old mp3 player OS of some sort. Look forward to your feedback.

odjinan

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 05:52:42 am »
"DJEmergency" own this device and did an interesting review on it (available on a discord server).   
Android system with retroarch on it ;)

source:
https://discordapp.com/channels/529983248114122762/597717494802677761

DJEmergency's review of the RS-07 V2 (Android) device.

Pros:

Pros:
- It?s using a version of Retroarch at the core of it?s emulation.
- The analog stick has it?s own board attached to it so mods can be possible for it. (Maybe replace it with a Sanwa stick and 3D print a larger bottom case.)
- Most emulators runs at a solid 60FPS. (I provide test results below)
- Android! Possible to root the device in the future or add our own APKs. (Plug the device in a PC using the top USB port, Hold the RETURN button, and power on.) Just need drivers for it .
- A few hidden emulators.
- The screen is clear and great with most angles. The brightness can be adjusted at your leisure.
- HDMI out with 720P
- Stereo Headphone jack.
- Micro SD Card slot.
- 2 USB ports.
- Videos run solid! No slow downs.
- Comes with 2 gamepads and supports up to 2 players. (Possibly four, but haven?t tested it with a USB hub)
- Rechargeable battery.
- The speaker is nice! Sounds better than the RS-07 Arcade Mini and has a bit of low end to it.
- Analog stick dead zone is very small with emulation , but in the system menu it?s bigger.
- Save states!
- Controller mapping! (Systems like the NES and SNES needs the A and B buttons swapped.)
- Battery saves work!

Cons:
- Sound on some emulation can be a bit distorted.
- I think it?s running an older version of RetroArch.
- The hidden emulators doesn?t run well.. (I guess that?s why they left them out in the supported system list.)
- Battery runs between 3-4 hours. (Not really a con for me but others might think so..)
- Buttons and analog stick can be a hit or miss sometimes within the main system menu, but it?s perfect with emulators.
- Once in awhile the controls stop working when switching to a different emulator. Powering off and back on the device will fix the issue.
- Some people reported missing ROMs in their device.
- Some devices were shipped with the RS-12 gamepads (Like mine)
- The file list order can be off so you might have to do some digging with the file you want.
- Holding left or right to skip pages of files do nothing.. You will have to continuously tap to change the pages.
- There is no graphical settings.. All games run stretched with some blurred filter. (Maybe possible to change, because I found a settings file on the micro SD card that came with it.)

EMULATION TEST RESULTS:
GBA: Almost perfect! Some games like Astrerix & Obelix XXL and Need for Speed Underground (3D games with polygons that push the GBA?s limits) are playable while sound can be choppy. For the most part everything runs smooth with a solid 60 FPS.

GB/GBC: GB Emulation is great. Few games have graphical glitches like Toy Story Racer. Some sounds seem to be distorted but not too bad. Games that use the Super Gameboy features will work too!

NES: Almost perfect! Runs anything I can throw at it! The sound seems to have pops at the end of notes though.

SNES: Almost perfect! Sounds sometimes have pops at the end. I tried some of the more demanding games and the results are pretty good.  Dirt Trax FX is one of those demanding games that I always like to test. This device can run it at a playable state. The sound is a bit choppy, but it?s still playable! Star Fox runs smooth, but the sound has a lot of pops in it. Stunt Race FX and SMW2 runs near perfect!

GG: Almost perfect! Very few games have graphical issues. I would say it?s around 99% there!

Gen/MD: Almost perfect! It can run anything I can throw at it. Race Drivin? runs well.. Virtua Racing runs smooth, but the sound is a tiny bit choppy and for some reason I can?t start the game.. Other games are near perfect

PS1: This runs fairly well! Many games work with it, but some use frame skipping to keep it running smooth. Still very playable and fun!

CPS1/CPS2: Emulation runs well. Some games have graphical glitches.

MAME: Some work and some doesn?t you will have to test games. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, The Simpsons and TMNT games run at 60FPS.

N64: It?s very slow with most games and the control mapping doesn?t seem to work properly. Anything that needs the analog stick is no good. You might have a better chance with 2D games, but even that is slow..

PCE/TG16: Slow and control mapping is broken.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 05:57:42 am by odjinan »

quadjfet

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2019, 10:30:29 pm »
Thanks for cut and pasting the review from Discord, some of us are a bit too GNU for that platform...

Anyone have pictures of device internals? I'm particularly interested in the LCD, LCD cable, LCD connector, control PCBs. I imagine dev-type folks will want some chip shots too.

xoreaxeax

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 08:11:03 pm »

I'm looking for a portable retro arcade console for my son, one which can also connect to a TV. He loves games like Pac Man, Space Invaders, Super Mario Bros., Solomon's Key, etc...
I was considering the RS-07 but I think I'm going to pull the trigger for this one instead, for its larger screen and HDMI port.
Any chance to see a CFW by the time I receive it?  ;)

davidgilmour

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 11:45:23 pm »
Quite good, but no scanlines, no 4:3 mode

xoreaxeax

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 08:51:32 am »
Ordered yesterday, taking advantage of a special price. I hope to see soon some hacks for this new toy, like rooted android, updated retroarch, etc... to overcome limitations and get the best out of it.
Does anyone know if it has an internal SD card like the RS-07?

KING_CHODE

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 11:10:47 am »
PARAPHRASED
> I just ordered this thing and want hacks for it real soon. Does anyone have hardware details?

It's a brand new ~$100, reasonably large tabletop device, seemingly running full, locked-down Android on a modern ARM processor. This puts it somewhat outside the norm for a forum that as of 2019, generally focuses on ~$25-50 pocketable MIPS32 devices.

(Note that the RS-07 Arcade Mini has the same JZ4760 processor that is in the RS-97/LDK/RG-300 etc, hence it's inclusion alongside the traditional 'pocketable' devices here)

Not to deflate you too much... but setting expectations. If the hardware is well received by the community-at-large then you may well see a software hack, and somewhat soon. But it may start from various Android forums, Reddit, GBATemp, wherever old arcade guys hang out... and not necessarily here in the beginning. It will start wherever people are capable, interested, and have the device on hand to test with.

My impression is that the comparatively high price may end up being a stumbling block towards dev/modder adoption for the typical users here. I know I myself am somewhat interested in the device, but can't really justify it as a 'speculative' buy since I don't yet know what's under the hood.

If you want to see  L I B R E   S O F T W A R E  from people here, IMO the best thing you can do as a first step is to perform a detailed teardown of the device when you recieve it. Use https://steward-fu.github.io/website/handheld/rs07/teardown.htm for a reference for what your pics should look like, and post your pics in a new thread under an explicit public domain license.

I've yet to see any actual teardown pics, or even the device's real name (manufacturer PN) here on the english-speaking FOSS-y side of the web. Some of us aren't willing to trudge through the discord/youtube morass. Bring us well-lit photos and good info and nice things MIGHT happen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:15:45 am by KING_CHODE »

Post a new topic