• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: PocketGo S30 - Gmenu2X - add Emulator  (Read 1073 times)

MicJeRon (OP)

PocketGo S30 - Gmenu2X - add Emulator
« on: January 05, 2021, 04:57:25 pm »
Hello.

I have here the new PocketGo S30.
https://pocket-go.com/collections/frontpage/products/pocketgo-s30

I like the look and it feels good in hands. Nice to the touch.
It seems to have a gmenu2x as OS. The folder structure is quite simple on the FAT32 partition. I would like to add emulators. Had already tried swapping the gamebatte emulator for the ohboy. For this I took the executable "ohboy" file from the first PocketGo and copied it into the directory of gamebatte and renamed it to "gamebatte_sdl".
Didn't work of course ;)
Can I take a ready compiled file or an unpacked opk-file e.g. for the RG350 for this at all?
Or have I compile from source?

Thanks and greetings.

Surkow

• * Administrator
Re: PocketGo S30 - Gmenu2X - add Emulator
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:18:47 pm »
[...]

It seems to have a gmenu2x as OS. The folder structure is quite simple on the FAT32 partition. I would like to add emulators. Had already tried swapping the gamebatte emulator for the ohboy. For this I took the executable "ohboy" file from the first PocketGo and copied it into the directory of gamebatte and renamed it to "gamebatte_sdl".
Didn't work of course ;)
Can I take a ready compiled file or an unpacked opk-file e.g. for the RG350 for this at all?
Or have I compile from source?

Thanks and greetings.
It appears to use a completely different architecture (ARM instead of MIPS). If the port author didn't include multiple .desktop files and binaries to target different systems it won't work.

MicJeRon (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 05:19:43 pm »
Thanks for the answer.
I think you are right - I thought too simple.
Will try to adapt the existing emulators a little better. Unfortunately the emulators don't seem to be set up well for the device. MAME, FBA, FCEUX (NES) and one of the two GBA emulators are good. With the PSX emulator and PICO-Drive, the aspect ratio needs to be adjusted. I am severely disappointed with the GB emulator (Gamebatte) - not a pretty picture.
Worst out of the box experience I've had with a PocketGo device.
The device definitely needs software-tuning. It's a shame to sell such a well designed device with this poorly tuned firmware. Pocket-Go is once again relying entirely on the community to fix this.

Regards

MicJeRon (OP)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 07:02:40 pm »
Good news.
"Retro Game Corbs" shows how the emulators can be expanded and improved. A tutorial is on his homepage.
https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/01/08/pocketgo-s30-starter-guide/
Also I heard some rumors that the guys from https://www.rghandhelds.com are also working on the firmware.

This gives hope that the S30 can unfold his full potential.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic