Author Topic: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)  (Read 4283 times)

Smoje

Re: PAP KIII Plus (Dingux, 480x272 screen)
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 03:51:30 pm »
I'm having problems trying to install dmenu, tried to run installer.sh from the console but nothing happens... any suggestions?

My model is LN430 version V.31224 and it's KIII Plus, 3.27GB space free

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 03:37:07 pm »
Here are my latest results. I was able to build a custom kernel using the ingenic patches and boot it. Display was working out of the box, but I could not get the keys to work. I did some more research, and it would be possible to get all the stuff working on a current kernel and create a new rootfs with all optimizations. The problem is that I don't see a real benefit from that. All emulators have to be recompiled to be usable and we would lose the compatibility to the (open)dingux using hard-float (FPU)

So I tried a different approach: I used the precompiled sdl-emulators and dmenu skins from the Ritmix rzx-50, the default emulators of the PAP K3 Plus and added all to my build of the dmenu. To be able to use the volume keys, I wrote a little helper that grabs the keys and adjust the volume. The volume is stored in the dmenu settings.

I think its now a nice little package and all I wanted from the device.

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

@Smoje
The installer creates two txt files containing log entries. If its not working, post the contents here

algorithm

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 06:06:26 pm »
Excellent job there.   Pretty much this is the open-dingux device to get for £30  (instead of shelling out for some second hand expensive opendingux/dingux handheld from ebay).  The alternative megadrive emulator (picodrive) runs absolutely perfect. 60fps, no audio distortion.

Smoje

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
@Jack83 Thanks for the last version that works like a charm in my PAP!!!! Love the new GB emulator because some of the games never worked with the last one!

I want to include the PC Engine emulator but doesn't appears in other emulators, how to add it?

Jack83 (OP)

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 08:26:46 am »
You have to edit the dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg file. Don't make any errors or the menu wont work. Thats why its on the external card 8)

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 12:52:16 pm »
Can somebody make a video of this in action sometime? I'm thinking on getting one of this to take on a long trip I'm doing without risking one of my more expensive (or beloved) handhelds, and it would be great to have it running Dingux. Thanks in advance ^_^

onthebridge

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »
You have to edit the dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg file. Don't make any errors or the menu wont work. Thats why its on the external card 8)
Wasn“t this easier using Gmenu2x? I think there was a way to add new emulators/games/apps inside the menu itself

Verdugo

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 04:07:00 pm »
Here are my latest results. I was able to build a custom kernel using the ingenic patches and boot it. Display was working out of the box, but I could not get the keys to work. I did some more research, and it would be possible to get all the stuff working on a current kernel and create a new rootfs with all optimizations. The problem is that I don't see a real benefit from that. All emulators have to be recompiled to be usable and we would lose the compatibility to the (open)dingux using hard-float (FPU)

So I tried a different approach: I used the precompiled sdl-emulators and dmenu skins from the Ritmix rzx-50, the default emulators of the PAP K3 Plus and added all to my build of the dmenu. To be able to use the volume keys, I wrote a little helper that grabs the keys and adjust the volume. The volume is stored in the dmenu settings.

I think its now a nice little package and all I wanted from the device.

https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/dmenu_0.7_k3_0.4.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/emulator.zip
https://github.com/JackD83/dmenu/blob/master/release/apps.zip

Installation:
- make a backup of your internal sd-card!
- unpack all zips to the root of your external sd-card
- start dmenu/installer/install.dge to install the new menu

@Smoje
The installer creates two txt files containing log entries. If its not working, post the contents here

How do you backup the internal SD card?

chevette

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »
Just tried this out and it works great!!!! Boots into the new menu, haven't tried all the emulators, but so far they all work. State saves are working for Sega Genesis. Amazing!!! Thank you so much Jack83. You've made a good handheld a GREAT handheld........thanks again.

I'm trying to figure out how to change default ROM paths to the external microSD card instead of the internal memory.

PS-Make sure you use Alternative Emulators and NOT Emulators from the main menu

Smoje

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 07:52:07 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how to change default ROM paths to the external microSD card instead of the internal memory.

As @Jack83 said, you must edit the file called dmenu/themes/ipen_en/theme.cfg where each emulator has a SelectorDir = "/mnt/mmc/PCE/" route

chevette

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 08:09:37 pm »
Thanks Smoje, I will give it a try.

algorithm

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 10:00:26 pm »
Anyone had trouble running cps1/2/neogeo using the alternative emulator section?   it brings the file selector, but selecting the specific rom brings it back to dmenu after a few seconds.    Tried it with cold boot too.

chevette

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 10:38:51 pm »
Same results here, all 3 are not working. May have to edit the themes.cfg to point to the Stock emulator. (They all use the same one). Should be a fix till someone figures out what's going on.

Good news is the C64 emu works OK

algorithm

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 12:39:01 am »
You can run the stock emulators just fine by going to the emulators menu (rather than alternative emulators).  Then cps1/2/neogeo works fine (but with the disadvantage of having distorted audio

chevette

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 03:16:58 am »
Sounds good, thanks for the suggestion. All the emus I've tried (except Amiga, haven't tried that one) work well. This is one great little handheld.

Post a new topic