Author Topic: New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!  (Read 9037 times)

blackz1982

Re: New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2020, 09:17:26 pm »
good news!

I spoke on the chatsite with someone who a year ago was busy making a gmenu2x that's compatible with the bittboy. https://github.com/retrostone-dev/gmenu2x/blob/master/src/inputmanager.cpp

Then my question was whether scummvm.opk would run. He said that a newer Dingoo version would work. So it has to re recompiled from the source code of scummvm(the Dingoo version still being inside the source code).

Then to make gmenu2x read opk files, next thing:

For OPK support to work, you need to make sure...
- that the kernel is built with Squashfs support + cramfs.
If unsure about it, try to mount it with the mount and see if it works.

- The rootfs needs to be mounted as read-write, not read-only.
Buildroot mounts it as read only by default.
The following line in /etc/inittab usually fixes this :
::sysinit:/bin/mount -o remount,rw /

- You need to have the opkrun utility in /usr/bin.
opkrun is used for mounting OPK files to run them.
This is seperate from Gmenu2x's own handling of OPKs.

- You need to have a supported version of Gmenu2x.
My fork of Gmenu2x supports this.
Note that the -D_CARD_ROOT=\"/media\" define at compile time does matter.
If your opk files are in /mnt/apps then you need to tell the compiler to use the folder before /mnt.
So in that case, it will just be -D_CARD_ROOT=\"/\".

Then the key of making all buttons work on the q8 isn't in recompiling the emulators one by one, but in changing the kernel. So the custom firmware thinks the q8 is in fact a bittboy.
Why do you need opk support?
Fix the buttons first.

Отправлено с моего HRY-LX1 через Tapatalk

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2020, 10:23:57 pm »
@Soup42 Very interesting, I appreciate your work.

But let's focus on the main problems, that are:

1 - Discover and map the "Dpad Up" "B" "L" "Start" "Select" buttons and find some way to use the "Volume" button. (if you plug and unplug an otg cable into the micro usb port when in game or emulator, the cable works like a start button, i really can't understand how it happens.)

2 - Adjust the rotation and colors of the screen.
In the "Kernel" folder of Bittboy V2 CFW there is a file called "r61520fb" that corresponds to the Bittboy screen, I believe that the changes should start here.

3 - Make the speaker work.
The console plays sound if you use a headset, but the speaker does not normally play sound. (using the Bittboy V3 CFW, the speaker works and shows the sound of the Game Boy startup screen, however, the screen is completely white).

4 - CPU compatibility.
Apparently, the cpu does not use all its capacity, it is not possible to overclock, the emulators crashed when I tried. However, some ps1 games worked very well using only the default settings, without overclocking, performing similarly to that seen in LDK Vertical (I have one by the way) and even better than bittboy himself, but I'm not so sure why I haven't bought a bittboy yet.

Qinti

« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2020, 11:01:51 pm »
Soup it's ok to be enthusiastic, but you are borderline spamming things without regard to what we are trying to do.

The only reason I copied and pasted the contents of the *.conf file was because it was relevant to finding the hardware mappings of the machine. Please don't copy and paste an ENTIRE file content if it is not relevant to the immediate things to be done. Just getting one or two emulators to work is a haphazard solution, which is not a solution at all.

Also, just because some information has been found does not mean this machine automatically becomes a cheaper Bittboy. Take for example the RS-69, the first generation Bittboy clone. The Chinese for it out hoping it was similar enough to make people adapt NXHope to it. But they cut so many corners that developers just saw it and did not see it as worth it when the Bittboy was ready and just needed app porting.

The only reason I have some mild interest in this is because I have one, and have some coding knowledge which might be helpful. But that's it. Adapting firmware of any sort is not as easy as it sounds. And I have not only a job but other machines that can do this. Now, if we get it working, nice, but in the meantime, please refrain from just putting stuff just because you want, say, Scumm to work.

I'll look into the mappings later on, but if any of you wants to pitch in, those codes are keyboard number codes, so they should correspond to something.

When you mapped it in the PS1 emulator, you say you can remap the keys when you plug in the USB cable. But that could not be the start key, that doesn't bring the menu, that would be the menu key. At any rate, what values did it show when you mapped. Yes I know it said it was not numbers, but what values did it give for each key?

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2020, 12:15:57 am »
I made some changes in the position of the buttons to be more comfortable (since the screen is upside down).

This is the mapping I did for PCSX4ALL, exclusively for Crash Bandicoot (I found that I can save specific mappings for each game, it helped me a lot)

Here I will tell you which Q8 keys correspond to the ps1 layout:
Up = Dpad Down
Down = X Button
Left = Right Dpad
Right = Left Dpad
Square = Y Button
Circle = R Button
Cross = A Button
Start button in game / Menu Button on system = Usb Otg Plug

I hope you can understand better by seeing the image I made.

Soup42

« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:41 am »
ok, some more news: we can flip the screen possibly by following using a linux system:
"you could also try to modify /etc/main to rotate the screen, but you need linux to explore the rootfs parition on the sdcard.
add this line just below "modprobe r61520fb.ko":
echo 2 > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon

this is the same as the following:

You can rotate the screen setting a flag on the boot cmd line like "fbcon=rotate:1"
0 - Normal rotation
1 - Rotate clockwise
2 - Rotate upside down
3 - Rotate counter-clockwise
Most commonly you?ll have a txt file with a string of commands, usually setting the uart bound.

This should be the fix for the upside down screen.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:13:33 am by Soup42 »

Soup42

« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2020, 11:14:34 am »
buttons config file for complete q8:

use linux to enter the squashfs partition:

you could either add a line on your /etc/inittab
add a line like this after the swapon
::sysinit:/bin/loadkeys /etc/q8.map

download loadkeys.txt (remove the .txt), copy it in the bin folder on the squashfs partition.
Am not 100% sure it's the right loadkeys version.

(((( you can also load the keymap with 'loadkeys /path/new-keymap, or create a bash script with that same command and name it like S01loadkeys.sh save at /etc/init.d/ and make sure is executable))))

now we need the keys config file, a keymap that is a text file without extension with the following in it(example):
keycode 1 = Caps_Lock
keycode 58 = Escape

Download keymap.txt, rename it to q8.map and put it in /etc/.

they keycodes can be decimal or hexadecimal, it's trial and error to find out.

just make sure you set as one of your first startup scripts something like S01loadkeys
And on the script you load the keymap you generated remaping the keys from the q8 to match

keymaps you can dump the keys dumpkeys > original-keymap on the current hardware,
modify to match the keycodes you need and load the new keymap with loadkeys.

So, the bittboy has a startup script, we need to load a keys.ini file in at booting of the device.

Thanks go out to Boogaer!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 01:54:30 pm by Soup42 »

Soup42

« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2020, 09:56:23 pm »
----
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:27:15 pm by Soup42 »

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2020, 03:52:48 pm »
Hello.

I managed to add Mupen64Plus and Desmume to Gmenu2x and made it run, however, as expected, it didn't work.

It shows this message that appears in the image, the same goes for Desmume.

I am currently downloading the previous CFWs from Bittboy V2. I did a test with V4.2 and it worked, the sound works normally, however, no button responds. Even adding the new input file, the buttons do not respond.

I will continue testing previous versions of the system, maybe some will work with the sound and buttons at the same time.

Ps: I'm just doing this to find new possibilities.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2020, 04:38:34 pm »
** UPDATE

This CFW:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04vuy4vwbz7tdn1/AABpeMqAmLP8_d6tnpEbIMyza/Custom%20Firmware?dl=0&lst=&preview=Bittboy_v2_v2.5_Only_CFW_v3.8_beta_18-05-19.img.7z&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Worked very well, the sound works perfectly, however, the button mapping is completely different from the other versions. (The screen continues with the same problems).

I will take the time to find out what is the correct mapping because I am working on some Design projects.

In short, I believe that we can use this version to do the tests. Now I can install Opks on the bittboy, but I don't guarantee they will work, just like with Mupen64Plus.

For that, I unzip the Opk using 7zip, move it to the Sd of Q8, in the Emu / App folder, go to the gmenu2x / section / folder, and create a new file for the emulator / app I want to add. Basically I create an emulator Link for Gmenu2x.

If someone has an opk that finds the mapping of the buttons, just send it here on the thread and I'll do the test on my Q8.

Soup42

« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2020, 05:16:29 pm »
good to hear!

you can download emu's here: https://github.com/steward-fu/miyoo/releases
like openbor for double dragon kind of games.

@kevin_yamagata so sound/volume is working? Screen upside down, did you install ubuntu/linux for the patching? Buttons again different, did you try the keyloader at systemstartup?

For opk's to work, we need another version of gmenu2x and kernel.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 06:08:52 pm by Soup42 »

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2020, 05:47:03 pm »
Sorry, I will not be able to continue testing at this time. I have a lot of work to do. But when I get less busy I?ll try again.

Soup42

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2020, 08:56:47 pm »
** UPDATE

This CFW:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04vuy4vwbz7tdn1/AABpeMqAmLP8_d6tnpEbIMyza/Custom%20Firmware?dl=0&lst=&preview=Bittboy_v2_v2.5_Only_CFW_v3.8_beta_18-05-19.img.7z&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

Worked very well, the sound works perfectly, however, the button mapping is completely different from the other versions. (The screen continues with the same problems).

I will take the time to find out what is the correct mapping because I am working on some Design projects.

In short, I believe that we can use this version to do the tests. Now I can install Opks on the bittboy, but I don't guarantee they will work, just like with Mupen64Plus.

For that, I unzip the Opk using 7zip, move it to the Sd of Q8, in the Emu / App folder, go to the gmenu2x / section / folder, and create a new file for the emulator / app I want to add. Basically I create an emulator Link for Gmenu2x.

If someone has an opk that finds the mapping of the buttons, just send it here on the thread and I'll do the test on my Q8.

Could you figure out the mapping of the buttons, like you did with the latest custom firmware?

The reason the files are in iso format is that there is a hidden partition only readable with a linux system. So when i tried to fix the os, i made some changes in the hidden partition. So the iso files should fix the upside down screen, and some buttons should be at their right location.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:13:40 pm by Soup42 »

Soup42

« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2020, 07:24:22 am »
** UPDATE

This CFW:

I read that opk files made for the dingoo have best compatibility.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2020, 01:44:15 am »
** UPDATE

This CFW:

Could you figure out the mapping of the buttons, like you did with the latest custom firmware?
Maybe this is something(screenfix&buttonfixtrial): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sHdBiyfWhgUOLh0SCPZ73H3el6t1NCuJ?usp=sharing

The reason the files are in iso format is that there is a hidden partition only readable with a linux system. So when i tried to fix the os, i made some changes in the hidden partition. So the iso files should fix the upside down screen, and some buttons should be at their right location.

I will try it. Soon i will send you the results.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:11 am »
I write this version "XYCQ8bittboy1.31.ISO", the sound works perfectly, the screen remains the same, but this time I had problems with the buttons. Any button I press activates the option to turn off the console.

I tried to change the mapping, but it had no effect.

Soup42

« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2020, 05:18:01 am »
I write this version "XYCQ8bittboy1.31.ISO", the sound works perfectly, the screen remains the same, but this time I had problems with the buttons. Any button I press activates the option to turn off the console.

I tried to change the mapping, but it had no effect.
The ISO's aren't working, a pity.

*We could make a 'dumpkeys > keymap' and put it in the bootscript of the q8. Then we can make a new keymap and maybe the buttons would work.
For the upside screen, i uploaded the R61520.c, it's for making the gpu file for the bittboy v2 v2.5 and v3. The command to rotate the screen at boottime doesn't seem to work. More people on the net try to figure that out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:29:21 pm by Soup42 »

Soup42

« Last Edit: Today at 05:41:50 am by Soup42 »

Soup42

« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 04:44:41 pm »
Small improvement, the screen is still upside down, but the text from the os is not.
It's a compiled kernel the same way as the txt file in the last post, but it's from the kernel.7z from this link: https://github.com/steward-fu/miyoo/releases/download/v1.2/kernel.7z

Downloadable here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sHdBiyfWhgUOLh0SCPZ73H3el6t1NCuJ?usp=sharing

Now we can compile the kernel, we can change what the buttons do somehow. Maybe we need to play games upside down with it.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:20:47 pm by Soup42 »

Post a new topic