Author Topic: New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!  (Read 14395 times)

02k0 (OP)

New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!
« on: December 26, 2019, 03:55:29 am »
Hi, here a new bootleg device.
Apparently, it's Runs Nes, Snes, MD, GBA and Mame.

Possible Firmware update for it's?

Link: https://a.aliexpress.com/OtcGD9zW

Worth??

Qinti

Re: New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:18:57 am »
This is an RS-69 clone, with two added buttons. SNES would be a quasi no go, some Genesis might play at bearable frame rates, NES will be almost perfect, GBA will be a lot more playable now that (hopefully) it has L and R mapped, and Arcade games compatible will be pretty much the same (but Street Fighter will be more playable albeit with frameskip). Issues with SNES and Genesis are frameskip that can range from bearable to slideshow, layer priority issues with SNES that made games unplayable (no transparency, and some layers are hidden behind others, so some Mario enemies are behind backgrounds but can still kill you, and Zelda is unplayable). Very low arcade compatibility, it pretty much is only compatible those arcade roms it comes with. Button mapping is all over the place, with no remapping options available. Only way to save is via the save states, but the save states are compatible with other emulators (I can share save states between my RS-69 and my Retromini, for example). I got one because I want to see how the extra two buttons are wired, so that maybe I can add them to my RS-69. Buy it mainly as a NES and GBA machine if you will, but for 8-10 USD more you have the Pocket Go.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:32:29 am by Qinti »

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 03:10:42 am »
This is an RS-69 clone, with two added buttons. SNES would be a quasi no go, some Genesis might play at bearable frame rates, NES will be almost perfect, GBA will be a lot more playable now that (hopefully) it has L and R mapped, and Arcade games compatible will be pretty much the same (but Street Fighter will be more playable albeit with frameskip). Issues with SNES and Genesis are frameskip that can range from bearable to slideshow, layer priority issues with SNES that made games unplayable (no transparency, and some layers are hidden behind others, so some Mario enemies are behind backgrounds but can still kill you, and Zelda is unplayable). Very low arcade compatibility, it pretty much is only compatible those arcade roms it comes with. Button mapping is all over the place, with no remapping options available. Only way to save is via the save states, but the save states are compatible with other emulators (I can share save states between my RS-69 and my Retromini, for example). I got one because I want to see how the extra two buttons are wired, so that maybe I can add them to my RS-69. Buy it mainly as a NES and GBA machine if you will, but for 8-10 USD more you have the Pocket Go.
Dude you're great!  I thought the console was good, it's pretty cute, too bad it doesn't work well.  You could do a Reviews, what do you think?

Enviado de meu moto g(7) play usando o Tapatalk

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:23:47 am »
https://youtu.be/okVJe6ywc4c

Qinti

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 06:14:33 pm »
That odroid would be perfect if they had added l2 and r2 buttons. Still, if the price is right, I might get it.

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 06:15:35 am »
Have you tried to install custom RS-90 firmware on it?  It may work.

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 03:49:18 pm »
Any chance to do Custom firmware got this?

https://youtu.be/zB-7_1FVd1U

Qinti

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 04:31:50 am »
**UPDATE**: It has an zh1901mp02c chip, which is a rebadged F1C500s.

Ok, so I got mine, and it is not a simple rebrand of the RS-69. Yes, it uses the same OS and emulators, so it has the same base compatibility issues (same ROMs not loading, and the same layer priority issues for SNES), HOWEVER, it does not use the same chip (FC100s), it uses a different chip which I have been unable to identify yet. As a result, it has better performance on GBA ROMs (it used to have random frame skips), very playable performance for the most part on Genesis ROMs (it used to have nasty frame skip, now it seems to run between 80-90% speed, which while noticeable, does not bother much), much less frameskip in Arcade ROMs (goes from somewhat playable to quite playable), and less screen tear in NES ROMs (goes from looking like the screen is made of sloshing water to almost unnoticeable screen tear (and I am quite sensitive to it). Add to that the fact it has 6 action buttons makes for better gameplay.

As no device is perfect, especially Chinese devices, here come the cons:
- The D-Pad is absolute crap. It registered 2 of 5 diagonal presses. I modified it by opening the console, and cutting the 4 tabs it had on the diagonal axis (no idea why it had those), then using moldable compound to add approximately 2-3mm to the ball pivot it has. The result is that now all diagonals now work, and the increased height of the ball pivot prevents pressing all 4 directions at once.
- The screen has a "bad" viewing angle. I say "bad" because it will only bother you at the beginning, and will be noticeable if you keep putting it to the side just to remind yourself how much you hate those angles. The thing is, it looks ok at the angle you are supposed to play. Not the best screen, but I have seen worse and much worse.
- The menu button is gone, and now you have to press the select button for a few seconds to active the menu to exit or save and load states. Add to this the fact that using this menu is the only way to save (it doesn't create save files for those games that save), and the fact that some games use the select button for some functions and it can be a bit of a hassle.
- There is no volume rocker, only a volume button that goes up. So you have to press it to go louder and louder until it goes mute, then gets louder again. And it resets every time you turn off the machine. I saw some circuitry that could allow for the installation of a volume rocker, but then you would need to change the ON/OFF switch. Ugh...
- It does have an indicator LED, but it is hidden inside the machine. So you cannot tell if it is charging, if it has finished charging, if it managed to turn on, etc. Now, this might not be a problem for some people, but I would have preferred the LED be visible.

All in all, it's not bad. But... at 18-20 USD, it is in Bittboy V3.5 territory, and for 9-12 USD more you can get a Pocket Go, which is a much better machine. As I have got it already, I am going to use it as a cheap handheld on the go. If it breaks, it won't hurt as much as it would if my Bittboy or Pocket Go died. The ideal price point for a machine such as this is 15 USD maximum. If you can get it for that price, I recommend it if you need something to use on trips where you fear a more expensive machine might not return from. Hopefully the advent of machines such as this will push back those NES clone handhelds back to their original 5-9 USD price points.

If you want to know about ROM compatibility, think it similar to those of the early emulators of the DOS days, aka Nesticle, Genecyst, and whatever it's contemporary for the SNES was. This includes not just ROM compatibility, but sprite and layers issues it may have had as well.

Also, never buy something hoping there is custom firmware. Chances machine will get custom firmware are almost nil. Only reason those machines that did get custom firmware, was that they had a derivative of Open Dingux to begin with. So if you can't understand the difference between that and how machines work, my advice is to stick to WELL KNOWN MACHINES THAT ALREADY HAVE CUSTOM FIRMWARE. As such, I won't test games of any sort, not check if any CFW will work on it, as I believe I have provided sufficient information in this and my previous posts for people to know whether they still want this or not, and am sufficiently satisfied with how it works.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 04:40:34 pm by Qinti »

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 10:45:07 pm »
Hello everyone, how are you?
I was watching some reviews on this console and noticed that its current models are coming with a firmware update. The first versions have V1.1.1 and the most recent that I found on this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7dPWxNeYNk it uses version V1.2 Any news about CFW for him?

Qinti

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 01:24:23 am »
Well if the machine has a better SNES emulator then the machine would be fine, NES is ok, GBA is mostly good, Genesis is quite good and Arcade is decent for what it is, but SNES uses an old emulator that has Sprite layer priority issues, which makes some layers be under others and makes games unplayable.

Edit: I did mod the d-pad though, necessary to have proper control. So if it fixes SNES and has a better d-pad, then it might be ok. The Pocketgo is a better buy for a bit more though. Heck the Bittboy is better and not difficult to mod and add L and R buttons IF you have the tools, but for the money spent modding might as well just get the Pocketgo.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:45:55 am by Qinti »

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 12:53:56 am »
Thanks, man! I bought him and i still waiting for the sending, maybe not are a bad thing, you know? I paid 17 USD in the end, very cheap. But i wish try install some firmware on him, maybe the RS-07 CFW, just for test, who knows? The name "Open Source Arcade" on the box will have to make sense hahaha

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 12:59:19 am »
Thanks, man! I bought him and i still waiting for the sending, maybe not are a bad thing, you know? I paid 17 USD in the end, very cheap. But i wish try install some firmware on him, maybe the RS-07 CFW, just for test, who knows? The name "Open Source Arcade" on the box will have to make sense hahaha
I intend to buy one of these, but I'm afraid it won't do much.  These days I ordered an X6 Game console and two PAP KIII Plus (in case one doesn't work).  I intend to buy an Odroid Go Advanced 2, more ahead.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 12:11:20 pm »
the pap kiii plus is awesome for ps1, but i don't like to the console shape, i prefer the game boy format, like the bittboy. Well, nice acquisition!

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 08:16:32 pm »
Here the Backup Firmware:

https://mega.nz/file/l8sBnBYI#ZjDx-lNzlNqa9d_qEmhn1TWEyKRfjZduliTGxJIkxrE

Password: DjvanbeatYT

Credit's: Djvanbeat

The firmware for this device is stored inside the MicroSD card.  It would not be very difficult (for those who understand modifications) to modify it to add new emulators.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2020, 03:22:56 pm »
Wow! That's great news, i hope wich someone can design a system for it, like the opendingux used on retromini, they support ps1 emulator, so maybe the XYC Q8 can do it too.

Qinti

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »
I was skeptical of your "rip" seeing that NOTHING is stored in the SD card but the roms and one bios. I downloaded it anyway and it is exactly the same as the stock one, that is to say, nothing that can be modified, sadly. The base emulators are inside the internal storage which contains the firmware. Until there is a method of accessing the firmware, no modification will happen.

Djvanbeat

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 05:33:53 pm »

The firmware for this device is stored inside the MicroSD card.  It would not be very difficult (for those who understand modifications) to modify it to add new emulators.

Hello! ,i'm Djvanbeat , the creator of this backup file (with any other games i tested aroud 3k games but only 120 works), this is not a firmware ,the firmware is only inside of this console eprom memory.

i open this and see a possible backdoor for see this in ttl mode betwen a usb ttl cable.
im now in working of this investigation.

regards.

kndcds

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 06:06:24 pm »

Hello! ,i'm Djvanbeat , the creator of this backup file (with any other games i tested aroud 3k games but only 120 works), this is not a firmware ,the firmware is only inside of this console eprom memory.

i open this and see a possible backdoor for see this in ttl mode betwen a usb ttl cable.

regards.
Cool, good luck.  Would you have the list of games that worked on it?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:13:45 pm by kndcds »

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 10:06:08 pm »

regards.

Thanks for this!

kndcds

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2020, 09:11:28 pm »
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:12:23 am by kndcds »

Post a new topic
Post a new topic