• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!  (Read 36883 times)

PhenomX

Re: New Handheld Game Console, cheapest!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2020, 10:22:57 pm »
Great contribution, we are going to make this very cheap console have opendingux, it seems that its soc zh1901mp02c is 100% compatible with the f1c100s of the bittboy. We have to solve problems with the screen, keypad and the very important sound, which for now does not have, the buttons must be remapped.
It would be great to have such a cheap and accessible console for everyone with Opendingux.

I offer to test any compilation or contribute what I can  ;)

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 01:37:46 am »
Great contribution, we are going to make this very cheap console have opendingux, it seems that its soc zh1901mp02c is 100% compatible with the f1c100s of the bittboy. We have to solve problems with the screen, keypad and the very important sound, which for now does not have, the buttons must be remapped.
It would be great to have such a cheap and accessible console for everyone with Opendingux.

I offer to test any compilation or contribute what I can  ;)

Thank you for your support.
Yes, as you just said, this console is very cheap and accessible for everyone.

Ps: the sound works if you connect a headset or some audio device, and if you want to press start to open the settings of an emulator, just connect an Otg cable to the micro USB port and unplug it again, Yes, the usb port work like a start button....WEIRD.

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 01:45:54 pm »
Hello, this is amazing, everything will be fine!

Fishfan

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2020, 02:30:48 pm »

PhenomX

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2020, 02:38:45 pm »
It seems that there are variants of the same hardware and software of this Q8, at first one of the clones of this machine seemed to imitate the bittboy https://youtu.be/OBj_QtIXQoU , but the one that is currently sold more regularly and is easier to find at a low price is the Q8 XYC.

If all goes well, the Q8 will win the title of the world's cheapest emulation console  ;D

Come on, let's support this project!  ;)

PhenomX

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2020, 03:05:56 pm »
Better Clone?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUNGGeu
hi, anyone tested this?

As indicated by kevin_yamagata in the video link, it is the same dog with a different collar, in this case it seems that it has improvements such as analog volume, front mono speaker and analog remote. As for emulation with original firmware, just as bad. That model is more difficult to obtain at the moment, there are countries where they do not send it, the Q8 does not present distribution problems.
Another problem that I see with these consoles is the battery life, it lasts very little and charges in 1 hour or so, and it works little more, at least in my case, I changed the battery for another and the same thing happens. The RetroFC with the same BL-5C battery charges in just under 3 hours and lasts up to 4 hours.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 03:52:43 pm »
i use a motorola turbo power, it takes about 40 minutes to complete the full charge. Pretty quick I would say.

PhenomX

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2020, 05:24:38 pm »
i use a motorola turbo power, it takes about 40 minutes to complete the full charge. Pretty quick I would say.

Using a generic samsung 5V / 1A charger connected directly to the console, the charging light turns off in about 1 hour or less. Curiously, with the original firmware it has an approximate autonomy of 1.5 hours. Then the automatic shutdown message appears. If I use the modified firmware of the bittboy when it goes out with the stock firmware, it still works much more, incredible.
If I charge the battery with an external charger or another console, the duration is very similar, the same if I use another new battery, I understand that it is a problem of the console and its consumption, or simply that it does not correctly detect the percentage of charge of the battery.

What autonomy does the console battery have with the stock firm?

To give an example the RetroMini (RS-90) with the same battery and OpenDingux holds me 4-5 hours with 3 hours of charge. The retromini has a 2 "screen and a 384MHz Injenic JZ4725B cpu.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2020, 05:57:29 pm »
This is a problem, I did not notice this issue in the stock firmware. But there is one thing that greatly influences battery consumption, the brightness of the screen that is always at maximum. In OpenDingux, I tried to decrease the brightness using the Y + R keys, but it doesn't work, it just shows the brightness control and if I use the minimum brightness, the screen turns off.

There is a file in the Kernel folder called "r61520fb", which is responsible for the bittboy screen. The Q8 screen is a model similar to RetroFc, I replaced it and it worked the same way. In my case, i used the "WL-283105-A1 PLUS" screen from my RetroFc. Perhaps, if the file "r61520fb" is reprogrammed for this screen, things can improve significantly.

Finally, the system sound, I rewrote the Bittboy 3.5 img and it shows the gameboy boot sound, but the screen is completely white. I tried to replace the files in the "kernel" folder with the bittboy 2.5 files and nothing has changed.

PhenomX

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:40 pm »
This is a problem, I did not notice this issue in the stock firmware. But there is one thing that greatly influences battery consumption, the brightness of the screen that is always at maximum. In OpenDingux, I tried to decrease the brightness using the Y + R keys, but it doesn't work, it just shows the brightness control and if I use the minimum brightness, the screen turns off.

There is a file in the Kernel folder called "r61520fb", which is responsible for the bittboy screen. The Q8 screen is a model similar to RetroFc, I replaced it and it worked the same way. In my case, i used the "WL-283105-A1 PLUS" screen from my RetroFc. Perhaps, if the file "r61520fb" is reprogrammed for this screen, things can improve significantly.

Finally, the system sound, I rewrote the Bittboy 3.5 img and it shows the gameboy boot sound, but the screen is completely white. I tried to replace the files in the "kernel" folder with the bittboy 2.5 files and nothing has changed.

I see that the battery problem is common, I thought at first that my unit was broken but I see that it is the usual duration and charge, when compared to your data, being very similar.

Indeed, the screen is the same as the retrofc, in this case with worse viewing angles and enough light leaks, I have fixed the leak with sponge stops for lcd, just like in the retrofc, at the same time I took the opportunity to seal dust inlets to keep the lcd clean.
My model has the PCB dated December 2019 and the firmware is 1.2

The problem of the crosshead diagonals can be solved by putting a support in the center of the circular crosshead, for example with thermal silicone. In my case I do not care, because I am not a big fan of fighting games, but that is a possible solution.

The first problem to solve will be the screen, colors, orientation, gamma ...
I will try to find information so that I can help as much as possible.
Moving forward using trial / error is tricky, I hope someone will help out with display settings.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2020, 08:22:10 pm »

I see that the battery problem is common, I thought at first that my unit was broken but I see that it is the usual duration and charge, when compared to your data, being very similar.

Indeed, the screen is the same as the retrofc, in this case with worse viewing angles and enough light leaks, I have fixed the leak with sponge stops for lcd, just like in the retrofc, at the same time I took the opportunity to seal dust inlets to keep the lcd clean.
My model has the PCB dated December 2019 and the firmware is 1.2

The problem of the crosshead diagonals can be solved by putting a support in the center of the circular crosshead, for example with thermal silicone. In my case I do not care, because I am not a big fan of fighting games, but that is a possible solution.

The first problem to solve will be the screen, colors, orientation, gamma ...
I will try to find information so that I can help as much as possible.
Moving forward using trial / error is tricky, I hope someone will help out with display settings.

I appreciate your dedication, good luck with yours tests!

Fishfan

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2020, 04:59:51 am »
**UPDATE**: It has an zh1901mp02c chip, which is the same one the RS-07 has. As this is new info, I will check if this machine does have any custom fimware and test if it works.

Ok, so I got mine, and it is not a simple rebrand of the RS-69. Yes, it uses the same OS and emulators, so it has the same base compatibility issues (same ROMs not loading, and the same layer priority issues for SNES), HOWEVER, it does not use the same chip (FC100s), it uses a different chip which I have been unable to identify yet. As a result, it has better performance on GBA ROMs (it used to have random frame skips), very playable performance for the most part on Genesis ROMs (it used to have nasty frame skip, now it seems to run between 80-90% speed, which while noticeable, does not bother much), much less frameskip in Arcade ROMs (goes from somewhat playable to quite playable), and less screen tear in NES ROMs (goes from looking like the screen is made of sloshing water to almost unnoticeable screen tear (and I am quite sensitive to it). Add to that the fact it has 6 action buttons makes for better gameplay.

As no device is perfect, especially Chinese devices, here come the cons:
- The D-Pad is absolute crap. It registered 2 of 5 diagonal presses. I modified it by opening the console, and cutting the 4 tabs it had on the diagonal axis (no idea why it had those), then using moldable compound to add approximately 2-3mm to the ball pivot it has. The result is that now all diagonals now work, and the increased height of the ball pivot prevents pressing all 4 directions at once.
- The screen has a "bad" viewing angle. I say "bad" because it will only bother you at the beginning, and will be noticeable if you keep putting it to the side just to remind yourself how much you hate those angles. The thing is, it looks ok at the angle you are supposed to play. Not the best screen, but I have seen worse and much worse.
- The menu button is gone, and now you have to press the select button for a few seconds to active the menu to exit or save and load states. Add to this the fact that using this menu is the only way to save (it doesn't create save files for those games that save), and the fact that some games use the select button for some functions and it can be a bit of a hassle.
- There is no volume rocker, only a volume button that goes up. So you have to press it to go louder and louder until it goes mute, then gets louder again. And it resets every time you turn off the machine. I saw some circuitry that could allow for the installation of a volume rocker, but then you would need to change the ON/OFF switch. Ugh...
- It does have an indicator LED, but it is hidden inside the machine. So you cannot tell if it is charging, if it has finished charging, if it managed to turn on, etc. Now, this might not be a problem for some people, but I would have preferred the LED be visible.

All in all, it's not bad. But... at 18-20 USD, it is in Bittboy V3.5 territory, and for 9-12 USD more you can get a Pocket Go, which is a much better machine. As I have got it already, I am going to use it as a cheap handheld on the go. If it breaks, it won't hurt as much as it would if my Bittboy or Pocket Go died. The ideal price point for a machine such as this is 15 USD maximum. If you can get it for that price, I recommend it if you need something to use on trips where you fear a more expensive machine might not return from. Hopefully the advent of machines such as this will push back those NES clone handhelds back to their original 5-9 USD price points.

If you want to know about ROM compatibility, think it similar to those of the early emulators of the DOS days, aka Nesticle, Genecyst, and whatever it's contemporary for the SNES was. This includes not just ROM compatibility, but sprite and layers issues it may have had as well.

Also, never buy something hoping there is custom firmware. Chances machine will get custom firmware are almost nil. Only reason those machines that did get custom firmware, was that they had a derivative of Open Dingux to begin with. So if you can't understand the difference between that and how machines work, my advice is to stick to WELL KNOWN MACHINES THAT ALREADY HAVE CUSTOM FIRMWARE. As such, I won't test games of any sort, not check if any CFW will work on it, as I believe I have provided sufficient information in this and my previous posts for people to know whether they still want this or not, and am sufficiently satisfied with how it works.
Very useful review for those looking at this handheld. Do keep this post active, if got more thing to add.

02k0 (OP)

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2020, 06:16:42 am »

PhenomX

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2020, 11:11:27 am »
Newest version!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSzWxpP

Very interesting, this M3 looks like another variant of the Q8, although modern the design is a bit rustic, to say something nice xD, the screen seems to have more brightness but I have seen a rare reflection to the right of the screen. The source video is quite out of focus. But the fact of having analog volume and analog stick, can make the rom of the original not be worth for the last one. I think the front left speaker is a good idea.
The important parts and the button panel seem to be the same as the Q8.

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2020, 01:00:15 pm »
It looks like an arcade machine, but it is very ugly hahaha

I think the LDK landscape input file (from the gmenu2x folder) can work on this little device as long as you use the bittboy V2 firmware. So, maybe the analong stick can work normally.

Fishfan

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2020, 01:09:01 pm »
Third version! This is M3 is the third version found in this thread.
Newest version!

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSzWxpP

Fishfan

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2020, 08:03:35 am »
Hi, glad to see the retrofc sreen fit Q8. Need any modifications? Or just plug in?
Is this the retrofc u used for screen replace?]https://images.app.goo.gl/bUNHjRpqAkvfbXu46

Hey, my XYC Q8 has arrived and i make a lot of tests with him. The firmware version is the 1.2, the most new i can ever seen. Now, lets go to the results.

Snes emulator:
He have some improves on the layer issues, for example, in super mario World the layers dont stay behind the others. The frame drop is the same. Zelda a link to the past still unplayable.

Mega drive/Genesis: The same of the first version.

Nes: I realy dont understand this emulator, super mario bros runs like a turtle, castlevania the same, but contra, double dragon, ninja gaiden, TMNT 3 runs perfectly.

Mame: The same of the first version.

Gba: I tryed a lot of 3d games and they have a good performance.

The Dpad stills crap, but i will try improve him.

I replaced the screen with a RetroFc 8 bits screen, works very well and dont have bad angles of view. Lucky!
In The box i made a translation of the chinese for english and i found "Supports multiplayer", but my usb joysticks doesnt worked, Maybe the joysticks of RS 07 can work.

The speaker volume dont reset when you turn off The console, interesting change.

For today, its just this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:07:16 am by Fishfan »

peppemas

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2020, 08:48:47 am »
This is a little resume about what i did for that one who want try the Firmware on your XYC Q8 by himself.

Ps: I recomend you make a backup of the sd card first. The Stock Firmware will continue working normaly after the CFW install, just copy the correct folders and files for a formated Sd Card again.

Step 1:
You can download the Bittboy V2 firmware right here
https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/Bittboy/Bittboy%20cfw/Bittboy_V2_V2.5_CFW_V1.3.1_23-09-19.img.7z

Step 2: Write the img on a Sd Card using the Wind32diskImager or some equal program. After this, plug the sd card on the console.

"When i will test it with this version 2.5 of V2, the screen is upside down, the arrow keys do not move, and when I press another button, the screen turn off automaticaly." That is normal in the first time.

So, i made a fix for this issue on that link.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15F4P9uKCGn5lPhkMSBVke8pjMkTMdbTm?usp=sharing

Step 3: You will unzip the folder and replace the respective files. Plug the sdcard adapter again and on the Boot partition you replace all them with the files in the folder "boot". In the "main" particion you will replace for the folder "kernel" and "gmenu2x".
(Note: The screen stills upside down and all the colors are strange, i really dont know what do here)

Now, you can open the emulators and games. You can make a test with psone games! (Note: When you open a emulator or app the button mapping enter on default config, so, just some buttons work, like Up, Down and A)

And this is it, this not are a official firmware, i made this test and he worked, i am not a system developer. We need of developers to make a decent port of the OpenDingux for the XYC Q8.

Hi Kevin i have try to put this bittboy firmware , and then the fix for screen , but the screen is always upside down, you have try other firmware? many thx

also i have wrote to the admin of https://www.rghandhelds.com/  for help with this console
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:10:55 pm by peppemas »

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2020, 03:17:06 pm »
Hi, glad to see the retrofc sreen fit Q8. Need any modifications? Or just plug in?
Is this the retrofc u used for screen replace?]https://images.app.goo.gl/bUNHjRpqAkvfbXu46

Hey, my XYC Q8 has arrived and i make a lot of tests with him. The firmware version is the 1.2, the most new i can ever seen. Now, lets go to the results.

Snes emulator:
He have some improves on the layer issues, for example, in super mario World the layers dont stay behind the others. The frame drop is the same. Zelda a link to the past still unplayable.

Mega drive/Genesis: The same of the first version.

Nes: I realy dont understand this emulator, super mario bros runs like a turtle, castlevania the same, but contra, double dragon, ninja gaiden, TMNT 3 runs perfectly.

Mame: The same of the first version.

Gba: I tryed a lot of 3d games and they have a good performance.

The Dpad stills crap, but i will try improve him.

I replaced the screen with a RetroFc 8 bits screen, works very well and dont have bad angles of view. Lucky!
In The box i made a translation of the chinese for english and i found "Supports multiplayer", but my usb joysticks doesnt worked, Maybe the joysticks of RS 07 can work.

The speaker volume dont reset when you turn off The console, interesting change.

For today, its just this.

Yes, i used this screen  https://pasteboard.co/JinPfSa.png
Just plug it on the socket

kevin_yamagata

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2020, 03:19:24 pm »
This is a little resume about what i did for that one who want try the Firmware on your XYC Q8 by himself.

Ps: I recomend you make a backup of the sd card first. The Stock Firmware will continue working normaly after the CFW install, just copy the correct folders and files for a formated Sd Card again.

Step 1:
You can download the Bittboy V2 firmware right here
https://rs97.bitgala.xyz/Bittboy/Bittboy%20cfw/Bittboy_V2_V2.5_CFW_V1.3.1_23-09-19.img.7z

Step 2: Write the img on a Sd Card using the Wind32diskImager or some equal program. After this, plug the sd card on the console.

"When i will test it with this version 2.5 of V2, the screen is upside down, the arrow keys do not move, and when I press another button, the screen turn off automaticaly." That is normal in the first time.

So, i made a fix for this issue on that link.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15F4P9uKCGn5lPhkMSBVke8pjMkTMdbTm?usp=sharing

Step 3: You will unzip the folder and replace the respective files. Plug the sdcard adapter again and on the Boot partition you replace all them with the files in the folder "boot". In the "main" particion you will replace for the folder "kernel" and "gmenu2x".
(Note: The screen stills upside down and all the colors are strange, i really dont know what do here)

Now, you can open the emulators and games. You can make a test with psone games! (Note: When you open a emulator or app the button mapping enter on default config, so, just some buttons work, like Up, Down and A)

And this is it, this not are a official firmware, i made this test and he worked, i am not a system developer. We need of developers to make a decent port of the OpenDingux for the XYC Q8.

Hi Kevin i have try to put this bittboy firmware , and then the fix for screen , but the screen is always upside down, you have try other firmware? many thx

also i have wrote to the admin of https://www.rghandhelds.com/  for help with this console

Sorry man, it was the most I could do. thanks for contacting RgHandhelds, maybe they can help us!

Post a new topic