Author Topic: New 7" inch handheld?  (Read 2267 times)

kfchow

Re: New 7" inch handheld?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 05:39:15 am »
Ok so i finally recieved this thing and i can say that it is a huge letdown.  The only pro is that it is cheap and that it is 7 inches but personally if you want emulation that works ok then get a RS-97 instead for a similar price or spend more and get a GPD XD.

Problems.

Lack of memory means that the thing is dog slow.  So slow that it is near unusable.  I had to actively search for a Snes emulator that actually ran at fullspeed.

SuperRetro16 was the only one that worked well on it for me.  Snes9x EX & John Snes ran terribly slow.

Battery life is terrible on this thing.  By that i mean half an hour to an hour max.

L and R buttons are extremely uncomfortable.

Also Start, Select and the Analog seem to be a different joypad to the D pad, a,b,c,d,l,r buttons so certain emulators do not work well with it.
Handhelds:

Lynx, Game Gear, Gameboy DMG, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite x 2, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan Color, G&W Donkey Kong II, G&W Zelda, NMC Mario Cement Factory, NMC Donkey Kong Jr, NMC Super Mario Bros, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb

gibberish

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 08:27:40 am »
i mean, despite what the youtube reviews might say - you can surely tell from just looking at it that's it's going to be absolute junk. the ridiculously low price tag would confirm the same.

lemmywinks

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 09:11:22 pm »
Those specs were fine on the JXD S601, played PS1 pretty well and lots of N64 titles were playable with frameskip. I think that had Android 2.3 though which will have been less resource heavy. Maybe try to find older versions of Snes9X and epsxe/fpse to sideload?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

davidgilmour

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 12:05:10 am »
Ok so i finally recieved this thing and i can say that it is a huge letdown.  The only pro is that it is cheap and that it is 7 inches but personally if you want emulation that works ok then get a RS-97 instead for a similar price or spend more and get a GPD XD.

Problems.

Lack of memory means that the thing is dog slow.  So slow that it is near unusable.  I had to actively search for a Snes emulator that actually ran at fullspeed.

SuperRetro16 was the only one that worked well on it for me.  Snes9x EX & John Snes ran terribly slow.

Battery life is terrible on this thing.  By that i mean half an hour to an hour max.

L and R buttons are extremely uncomfortable.

Also Start, Select and the Analog seem to be a different joypad to the D pad, a,b,c,d,l,r buttons so certain emulators do not work well with it.

In the youtube review it does not look that bad. N64 seems to be ok. And a 512MB 1ghz A9 is not really that bad.
Those old games run at 2-32 mhz.

kfchow

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 01:35:51 pm »
Cracked it open and took a photo of the board if anyone is interested.

https://snag.gy/ZL9F0b.jpg
Handhelds:

Lynx, Game Gear, Gameboy DMG, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GB Boy Color, GBA, GBA SP AGS-001, Gameboy Micro, DS Phat, DS Lite x 2, DSi, DSi XL, 2DS, New 3DS XL, PSP, PS Vita, Neo Geo Pocket, Wonderswan Color, G&W Donkey Kong II, G&W Zelda, NMC Mario Cement Factory, NMC Donkey Kong Jr, NMC Super Mario Bros, Coolboy RS-97, Coolboy RS-90, GPD XD 64gb

Strugglemeat

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 03:35:57 pm »
too bad about the sluggishness and battery life

I'm still rather curious about this unit "vanzatek game se"

how does it play GBA?
and how about sprite-based PS1 games?

an owner of this device has made a thread in the Android section:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-devices/tablet-vanzatek-game-se/
seeing as this device is Android-based, maybe this thread should be merged there?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:01:01 pm by Strugglemeat »

skelton

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 08:55:31 pm »
Those specs were fine on the JXD S601, played PS1 pretty well and lots of N64 titles were playable with frameskip. I think that had Android 2.3 though which will have been less resource heavy. Maybe try to find older versions of Snes9X and epsxe/fpse to sideload?

That device is same specs and almost as s601, which was made by softwin (GPD) for JXd. Probably it performs worse because like s601 is underclocked to 600 mhz..... and the JXD s601 with skelrom went to 1.0 ghz. I wouldn't be surpirsed if in this device the softwin name appears in the kernel.... because as far as I know this was an oem device  made by softwin.
Retired

Strugglemeat

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 09:17:49 pm »
That device is same specs and almost as s601, which was made by softwin (GPD) for JXd. Probably it performs worse because like s601 is underclocked to 600 mhz..... and the JXD s601 with skelrom went to 1.0 ghz.

how much work would be required to make a custom Android for this device? seems like this handheld has a lot of potential.

skelton

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 08:05:00 pm »
A custom ROM without source Code would be just a repcaked stock ROM. Maybe Kernel could be overclock though. But hard to know.
I doubt there IS a dev with time And motivation though
Retired

LordDavon

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:57 pm »
repcaked

World's greatest typo!!!  We should all use this for repacked ROMs now.  Next one I do is being called LordDavon's RepCaked Rom!

No sarcasm.  I saw this and just went, "YES!"

skelton

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 09:09:08 am »
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:30 pm »
Good sleuthing Skelton! I think you mentioned before that GPD made consoles for JXD, interesting stuff.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go
PC:
HP Envy M6
Acer 522
Psion 5 & 5MX

skelton

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 12:00:10 pm »
yeah, the software. GPD was called softwin (they still use that name) and were an OEM company. They made the firmware for most JXD devices at that time, they broke relationship after JXD 7800b, and GPD started as a hardware company too.
Retired

davidgilmour

« Reply #28 on: Today at 12:25:13 pm »
Wicked gamer is posting a few videos of this handheld the last few days, check his youtube channel