Author Topic: New (much) improved Bittboy on Presale  (Read 40616 times)

davidgilmour

Re: New (much) improved Bittboy on Presale
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 06:06:51 am »
Having compared this to OG GBP hardware it does seem to be less smooth, tried Bemlont's Revenge and it definitely seems to be dropping the odd frame but in a weird way, definitely feels like obvious emulation. Even on slow scrolling games it is evident, on SMB 2 the screen tearing is pretty bad but this is worst case scenario. Hopefully this gets fixed, on most games it's not a problem.

Maybe because SMB 2 definitely doesn't run at 60fps on the original hardware (it has pretty bad slowdown and regular stutters throughout) so frame drops seem worse, Belmont's Revenge is silky smooth on OG hardware though and it feels like it's using frameskip on the Bittboy.
So the bittboy can?t emulate a 1989 system 100% in 2019?

30 year later! Wow!  :o  :o  :o

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2019, 09:13:15 am »
Neither can the RS-97, both GB emulators for that crap out on some games like Race Drivin' that I mentioned. Hopefully it can be sorted via a software update and they didn't use a sub 60hz screen or something stupid like that.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

ADY

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 02:34:41 pm »
New video from the Bittboy people showing off a new native resolution mode for Gameboy and Gameboy Color.

lyleflyle

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 08:41:23 pm »
New video from the Bittboy people showing off a new native resolution mode for Gameboy and Gameboy Color.

I assume this is a new firmware rather than a new hardware version leaving previous buyers having the inferior one?

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 12:25:14 am »
I assume this is a new firmware rather than a new hardware version leaving previous buyers having the inferior one?

Looks like it's specific to a slightly different hardware revision, apparently according to some posters on their Facebook page the original model released a month ago can't be updated without bridging two pins on the motherboard. Quite a few people not too happy about it, as usual with Chinese manufacturers they're ignoring this like there's nothing wrong.

I emailed them asking if there was a new firmware and got this as a reply:

"HI, we have updated this problem on our NEW inventory for NEW BITTBOY.
We added the original aspect ratio display mode for GB/GBC games.

Buy it now: https://www.bittboy.com/collections/bittboy2"

Nice.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

davidgilmour

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 05:36:35 am »

Looks like it's specific to a slightly different hardware revision, apparently according to some posters on their Facebook page the original model released a month ago can't be updated without bridging two pins on the motherboard. Quite a few people not too happy about it, as usual with Chinese manufacturers they're ignoring this like there's nothing wrong.

I emailed them asking if there was a new firmware and got this as a reply:

"HI, we have updated this problem on our NEW inventory for NEW BITTBOY.
We added the original aspect ratio display mode for GB/GBC games.

Buy it now: https://www.bittboy.com/collections/bittboy2"

Nice.
So you don?t know what you are getting, old or new inventory.

Anyway, I don?t like the tiny new aspect ratio, it is way too small!
I am happy with the old ? 10:9 ? screen ratio, looks perfectly fine to me.

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 05:04:01 pm »
I assume if you order it from them it will be one of the new batches which can be updated over USB and will have the new firmware installed. Hopefully they release the new firmware and there are modding instructions for the original one, I guess it will be covered on Jutley's site or something. Currently all information is on Baidu I think which presents a language barrier.
Handhelds:
PC:

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 05:10:39 pm »
Also the problem of roms getting mixed up alphabetically when you add new ones can be fixed by using this utility:
http://www.trustfm.net/software/utilities/SDSorter.php?fbclid=IwAR2U5GjSDPTKCsyX_D1JGnP8JdQQIVjgndZh0o5NjCqqpLH7iRoHGfM8qIo

Fix courtesy of a few users on the Bittboy Facebook page.
Handhelds:
PC:

VanZan

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 08:21:18 pm »
Even if I considered purchasing again what's to stop them making another improvement the following week? I have zero trust in them now. Unless they do something truly revolutionary they won't see another penny of my money.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:56:59 pm by VanZan »

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 09:11:59 pm »
Yeah it usually doesn't bother me if there's an updated system 6 months to a year after a device is released (par course with Chinese tech) but this thing has been out around a month, they announced it as the "new" Bittboy and a few weeks later it's outdated with no update path.

As it stands the handheld is pretty nice but it's unlikely I'll buy anything else from them again and if their Facebook page is anything to go by there's quite a few who feel the same. They're already getting opinions on a new handheld which looks like an RS-97 with a fancy paint job. Clueless.
Handhelds:
PC:

lazanti

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2019, 11:07:51 am »
I was stupid enough to pre-order two new BittBoys before x-mas 2018, which turns out to be the pre-final version. It took them two months to get here and the package was also damaged. They've only used a very thin box without the bubble wrap, but luckily I got a refund for one of the damaged BittBoy. Now they've released a new version and I'm so pissed!!! Posted this on their Facebook page and 24 hours later I was banned from the group. So far I can't trust this company anymore and to be honest I don't really care about their current and upcoming products. I'm done. I'll spent my money on the upcoming Retro-V3S console that can emulate PS1 :)   

nick p

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 11:17:54 am »
So can we already buy the new bittboy with the firmware update or is it better to wait?

davidgilmour

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 12:26:29 pm »
So can we already buy the new bittboy with the firmware update or is it better to wait?

On youtube they said they ship the new one now!

look at their reply to drb his comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJY4wmP79Xs
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:29:31 pm by davidgilmour »

nick p

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2019, 02:12:08 pm »

On youtube they said they ship the new one now!

look at their reply to drb his comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJY4wmP79Xs

wow! Awesome customer service, LOL. I was going to buy a bittboy on aliexpress and when I read that they had taken an update, i cancel the order. Now I do not know if I buy it there because maybe it's an old bittboy without an update and I do not know if I trust its website.

ADY

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 01:31:05 pm »
I heard from here the save state menu frequently locks up freezing until reset. Is there any truth to that and how often?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:39:19 pm by ADY »

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 04:55:43 pm »
I heard from here the save state menu frequently locks up freezing until reset. Is there any truth to that and how often?

That happened to me when I first got it, found out it was triggered by navigating the menu too quickly - ie if you want to quickly save then you would quickly tap A several times automatically. Just going through the menu at normal speed prevents it freezing, hasn't happened to me since discovering thar.
Handhelds:
PC:

lazanti

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2019, 05:21:10 pm »
NxHope BETA out :)

Great Crippler

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2019, 06:57:26 pm »
I went to order one today, and Bittboy is on vacation until the 12th of Feb. Just my luck. Does anyone know where I can get one of the latest revision ordered? US would be great, but I'll live with wherever as long as it is the latest build.

VanZan

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:06 pm »
That NxHope beta is a hardware mod yeah?

lemmywinks (OP)

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2019, 11:05:29 pm »
Is there a soldering/flashing guide for this?
Handhelds:
PC:

Post a new topic
Post a new topic