Author Topic: Linx Vision 8" Gaming Windows Tablet  (Read 21296 times)

vcoleiro1 (OP)

Linx Vision 8" Gaming Windows Tablet
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:28:49 pm »

nphage

Re: Linx Vision 8" Gaming Windows Tablet
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »
After seeing someone post information about the Linux Vision in a different thread I purchased one. I've had it for about a week. So far I am pretty happy with it. I've been waiting years for a portable device for playing PC games. I would have preferred something a bit smaller so it would be more portable, but I was tired of waiting. The only game I have played on it so far is Ys Origin and it runs perfectly at 60 fps. Based on testing by a different user it seems to be compatible with quite a few games.
http://linxtablet.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1492

The built in 32gb of storage is definitely not enough, so I am getting a 64gb micro sd that should help remedy that situation.

Mountainmohawk

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:01:49 pm »
I just received mine yesterday, so I'm excited to try it out!

vcoleiro1 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 08:53:46 am »
I just received mine yesterday, so I'm excited to try it out!

Let us know what it's like. 

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 03:39:20 pm »
What's a reputable site to buy this if you live outside the UK?

nphage

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 07:34:34 am »
I live in the US and the two sites I found with international shipping were Overclockers and Expansys. I could not get a payment to go through at Overclockers, so I ended up ordering from Expansys and had no problems.

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 08:39:12 am »
I read somewhere that the Linx Vision comes with Windows 10 32-bit even though the chipset is 64-bit. Another reviewer mentioned the display is a TFT, not IPS. Can someone confirm these two?

nphage

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 07:14:30 pm »
I read somewhere that the Linx Vision comes with Windows 10 32-bit even though the chipset is 64-bit. Another reviewer mentioned the display is a TFT, not IPS. Can someone confirm these two?

I can confirm that the operating system is 32-bit and the chipset is 64-bit. I am not sure how to check what type of screen it has.

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 03:50:38 am »

I can confirm that the operating system is 32-bit and the chipset is 64-bit. I am not sure how to check what type of screen it has.
Thanks nphage. I guess if the display has good viewing angles (off x-axis and y-axis) then it's likely IPS. How is the picture quality?

nphage

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 07:18:35 pm »

Thanks nphage. I guess if the display has good viewing angles (off x-axis and y-axis) then it's likely IPS. How is the picture quality?
The screen looks good to me, but I am not very picky when it comes to these things so I might not be the best judge. Viewing angles seem decent, but the screen is quite reflective so that can interfere with the viewing angle more than anything. Hasn't really been a problem for me since I am holding it most of the time I am using it.

shinkamui

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:24 am »
I just ordered one from overclockers.co.uk.  They were the only site i could find that would ship internationally.  Hoping this thing ends up with some decent performance for emulation, i really love the razor style gamepad dock.

Mountainmohawk

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 08:11:10 pm »
If anybody in the US is interested, I am currently selling mine. There is nothing wrong with it, I just don't use it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281919314904?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

shinkamui

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »
Just got mine today.  30 minutes out of box to get to desktop during that initial setup :(.  Once that was done the thing is buttery smooth.  32gigs of storage is not enough, if you plan to use this standalone a lot (18.6g free ootb).  Game controller feels really nice, dpad is strange, will test it for fighting games shortly.  Tablet build quality is excellent, feels premium, brushed metal pattern back feels like its metal, cold like metal, but taps like plastic.  Screen is sharp, viewing angles are good, no discoloration or inversion across the 180deg view, with brightness dropping off around 160. Running windows updates now.  My Sandisk Ultra 128 was recognized but is disconnecting.  Appears that its related to the intel SD driver, and needs to be updated.  Next post will be some gaming impressions, and Ill probably make some videos.  Seems the cherry trail intel HD integrated gpu is capable of using the xbox dvr function, so i look forward to recording some gameplay footage :).

If there is anything in particular anyone wants tested, let me know, i can make a video (as long as I have it, and its not ridiculous). 

shinkamui

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 03:03:40 am »
Quick update.

Spend most of the afternoon doing updates.  Fixed the sd card reader (driver issue).  So far tested PPSSPP and Retroarch CPS3 emulation.  Both run smooth.  Specifically, Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus is a lag fest on every tablet/phone arm SoC with the exception of the k1.  The Atom X5 8300 seems to be performing somewhere around 50% better than the k1 in this emulation.  There is no slowdown framerate issue related to the emulation it seems, however the tablet seems to have SD card speed issues, even with a UHS-1 class card.  Windows frequently complains about running out of ram when running retroarch or ppsspp, haven't tracked down the source yet.  PPSSPP reports using 300M of ram when running gvgnp, and before starting I have 1.3gigs free ram so...  Installing some 2d and less demanding steam titles right now for testing gaming off the sdcard, shovel knight, axiom verge, strider, fez, shadows vs warlocks.  If these run well, Ill try some heavier hitters, like skyrim, dragons dogma, R6 Vegas 2.

Mountainmohawk

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »
Quick update.

Spend most of the afternoon doing updates.  Fixed the sd card reader (driver issue).  So far tested PPSSPP and Retroarch CPS3 emulation.  Both run smooth.  Specifically, Gundam VS Gundam Next Plus is a lag fest on every tablet/phone arm SoC with the exception of the k1.  The Atom X5 8300 seems to be performing somewhere around 50% better than the k1 in this emulation.  There is no slowdown framerate issue related to the emulation it seems, however the tablet seems to have SD card speed issues, even with a UHS-1 class card.  Windows frequently complains about running out of ram when running retroarch or ppsspp, haven't tracked down the source yet.  PPSSPP reports using 300M of ram when running gvgnp, and before starting I have 1.3gigs free ram so...  Installing some 2d and less demanding steam titles right now for testing gaming off the sdcard, shovel knight, axiom verge, strider, fez, shadows vs warlocks.  If these run well, Ill try some heavier hitters, like skyrim, dragons dogma, R6 Vegas 2.

The sd card might be giving you problems because it is higher than the supported amount. I read on other forums that people were having issues with 128gb cards. 32 is the official supported amount, but 64gb seemed to work fine without any problems.

shinkamui

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 04:13:05 am »
drooped to samsungs uhs1 64gig. drive reads badly, super low speeds. gaming is mostly great but horrid lag spikes ruin emulation. running xbox record kills performance. looking for a root cause.  made about 5 vids so far, uploading to youtube...

10basetom

• tohodo.com
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 07:56:56 am »
Quick update.

Thanks, shinkamui! Keep the updates coming ^^. This tablet looks quite promising...I just wish they would ship to Singapore. I think having a 4GB RAM deluxe model would make it better also (and I would pay extra for it).

alslayer

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 01:11:17 am »
I am very interested in this device.  I have a few questions.

1. How much was the final price in US dollars to buy from overclockers.co.uk?  Shipping and anything else included.

2. Does anyone know of a good review or youtube review of the device?  I can't find anything really detailed.

3. How is the quality of the dpad?  I am really into platforming games.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 01:13:08 am by alslayer »

LordDavon

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 07:39:07 pm »
Mine should be here today.  I ordered it from Amazon.co.ok for $180 with expedited shipping (about $35 was shipping).  It only took a week to get from purchase to "out for delivery" too.

Update: So it came.  It's been running updates for a while, but I got a chance to connect it to the Xbox.  I really don't like the DPad.  It is a concave circle, which makes it harder to use.  Maybe I will get used to it though.  Other than that, the tablet is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:48:37 am by LordDavon »

alslayer

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:58 pm »
Thank you for the update.  The d-pad is upsetting.  I was hoping to use it for indie 8 bit looking games.  I may skip it and buy that jxd pc everyone is talking about.

Post a new topic