• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: FC3000 Linux Porting from Scratch  (Read 13635 times)

Steward_Fu (OP)

• Steward Website
Re: FC3000 Linux Porting from Scratch
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2021, 10:25:35 am »
The assumption is all of LCD pinouts are compatible with others FC3000 model, guess...

Nelugamer

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2021, 05:13:00 pm »
@Nelugamer
I think it is possible to find out LCD init sequences in my FC3000 handheld.
I can burn your IPS firmware into my FC3000 and then use digital analyzer to log it.
And then test the program I modified in your IPS FC3000, how about this ?
If you can help test, just tell me, I prepare to solder my FC3000, ha ha :)

I'm ready to help you my friend, sorry for answering late, I was busy on these days.

Just tell me what do you need and I will apply it on my console.

I also assume that the pinout is just the same, some users installed a tft screen on the IPS version and just works, so yes... Seems it's just the same

Regards!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 05:15:02 pm by Nelugamer »

2blackbar

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2021, 11:03:31 pm »
I tried to copy english img file to my microsd cards, two of them, none boot to any menu, they go straight to usual FC3000 menu, how its supposed to work? Do you just copy img file to card and turn it on ?
I have FC3000 V2 , TFT version with screen that turns blue from sides
none of the img files in this topic work or do anything, screen test doesnt boot , just starts regular menu, do i need to set bootglag to this micro sd card ?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:11:29 pm by 2blackbar »

riviery

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2021, 12:45:23 am »
Everythings works fine, EXCEPT the option to start stock system (button A). When I choose it, I can hear the system and game's sounds but the display doesn't work (remains white). Maybe some LCD driver? All the other options works, including opendingux and the flash tools.

I have the TFT version with SD card under the battery, which came with 8 emulators (flashing the V2 worked fine).

riviery

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2021, 01:41:08 am »
I tried to copy english img file to my microsd cards, two of them, none boot to any menu, they go straight to usual FC3000 menu, how its supposed to work? Do you just copy img file to card and turn it on ?

Did you just copy the .img file to SD card, or you've flashed the image to SD card using some software as BalenaEtcher or Win32DiskImager? Just copying the file doesn't work, you have to flash the .img file.

Steward_Fu (OP)

• Steward Website
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2021, 02:00:15 am »
@Nelugamer
It will take some time to prepare environment. I will inform you when it is ready for testing, thanks :)

@2blackbar
Using "Win32 Disk Imager" clone image into microsd, not copy them.

@riviery
Thanks for your information.

riviery

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2021, 02:27:57 am »
Thanks for your information.

Thanks for your awesome work on our underrated device! Sorry if my comment sounds like I was complaining, my english is not so good

Steward_Fu (OP)

• Steward Website
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2021, 09:25:06 am »
@riviery
It is okay, don't worry  :)

@Nelugamer
It is bad news again, ha ha,
After burn your IPS FC3000 firmware into my TFT FC3000, my FC3000 cannot be started (no any LCD signal and LCD backlight off).
So, I guess the encrypt IC might be different.
I use digital analyzer to probe LCD signal on my FC3000, no any signal can be found.
So, this is bad news for you, I give up porting OpenDingux to IPS FC3000.
Thanks for your great help ! :)

Nelugamer

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2021, 10:02:11 am »
@riviery
It is okay, don't worry  :)

@Nelugamer
It is bad news again, ha ha,
After burn your IPS FC3000 firmware into my TFT FC3000, my FC3000 cannot be started (no any LCD signal and LCD backlight off).
So, I guess the encrypt IC might be different.
I use digital analyzer to probe LCD signal on my FC3000, no any signal can be found.
So, this is bad news for you, I give up porting OpenDingux to IPS FC3000.
Thanks for your great help ! :)

Oh man... this is a very bad news... We are a lot of people just waiting for this... Please don't give up for the moment, I'm sure that there's something more to try in the future. Is there anything that I can do by myself to help?

Thanks!

mforce2

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2021, 12:49:00 pm »
 One way to do it would be in software. The fact that it's not Linux but some proprietary Meli OS doesn't make it easy but I think it's still possible to get the LCD configuration from the software.
 Is there a way to dump the software that is working for the IPS display version ?
 I just ordered a V1 and it might have the IPS display , if it does I'd be willing to reverse the software to try and find the LCD routines.

mforce2

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »
 Another way would be for Steward_Fu to get an IPS device. I'm not sure they're still on sale but I propose 2 things:

1. We sponsor him to buy an IPS version ( it shouldn't be the developer who pays for the hardware , right  ?  )
2. Someone who has an IPS device makes a sacrifice and sends it to Steward , it's about 10E or less to send a package from EU to China.

I've seen somewhere on Aliexpress where they still sell what I believe is the IPS version but I'm not sure you can shop on Aliexpress from China, probably not.

2blackbar

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2021, 02:16:17 pm »
OK im writing img to second card, first one (the one device came with) gave black screen
So what emulators are on this linux OS ? does it have openbor ?
----
WOWOW this works !! Its amazing, a lot of temulators, playstation, finalburn, finally i dont have to lok for these dumb neogeo secret files and can use zips.
Great work, now time to copy some roms !! ;D

But how do i copy any roms? i dont see any folders for roms on sdcard in windows7, on console i could see folders for every system, but i dont see this on card ?
Also how i can go to actutal linux, what i have when i turn it on is some multiemulator that shows different system, id like to go into actual linux and games/apps to install openbor.
Well.. i cant really play anything , no roms , no way to exit default frontend and enter linux to pick other programs, is there some tutorial for that ? i see that with some devices you just connect console with usb cable and it works, but for me its unknown device when i do that...
That function to run original firmware of FC3000 is very strange, i dont have that files anymore cause i flashed microsd card, and even if i have it on another sd card... i have to pull the battery out to change it, i dont think theres any point to have it in menu.

How i can edit img file and put my own roms ? can i just unzip and zip it back ? cause i know that you can unzip img file to see whats inside, some 2 files taht you can also unzip.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:07:05 pm by 2blackbar »

salvacam

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2021, 03:53:59 pm »
OK im writing img to second card, first one (the one device came with) gave black screen
So what emulators are on this linux OS ? does it have openbor ?
----
WOWOW this works !! Its amazing, a lot of temulators, playstation, finalburn, finally i dont have to lok for these dumb neogeo secret files and can use zips.
Great work, now time to copy some roms !! ;D

But how do i copy any roms? i dont see any folders for roms on sdcard in windows7, on console i could see folders for every system, but i dont see this on card ?
Also how i can go to actutal linux, what i have when i turn it on is some multiemulator that shows different system, id like to go into actual linux and games/apps to install openbor.
Well.. i cant really play anything , no roms , no way to exit default frontend and enter linux to pick other programs, is there some tutorial for that ? i see that with some devices you just connect console with usb cable and it works, but for me its unknown device when i do that...
That function to run original firmware of FC3000 is very strange, i dont have that files anymore cause i flashed microsd card, and even if i have it on another sd card... i have to pull the battery out to change it, i dont think theres any point to have it in menu.

How i can edit img file and put my own roms ? can i just unzip and zip it back ? cause i know that you can unzip img file to see whats inside, some 2 files taht you can also unzip.

I do not have that device, but in the consoles that use the operating system to pass the roms you have to put the micro sd cards in the computer and in one of the two partitions you will have a roms folder where there are folders for each emulator

2blackbar

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2021, 05:31:11 pm »
I dont have another partition visible, i have just one partition visible in windows thats about 250MB, the rest is unallocated data, i dont know how to access it and copy files there.
Im not sure why is that, both chinese and english have only one partition visible in windows7, other one is there only in diskgenius or other partition sofrware, but when i do anything with one of these, then dinfux menu wont boot, so at the moment this idea is cool proof of concept, but in practice you cant copy anything to that hidden partition.Theres no windows drivers for this device and dingux partition is not accessible in windows7, any change to partition settinfgs in programs will not make card bootable, also i never really managaed to make that unallocated part visible in windows .
Did anyone acutally managed to install it on FC3000? how do you copy roms and opendingux programs in win7?

Now i formatted both cards, put roms folder(with v1 and v2 flash img) and roms in there, but when i turnon device, it looks like there is still some leftover from that startup menu or its not original V2 tft rom ? but screen is just one LUT file, it looks like png lut file where color rectangles are shows , green on top and pink on bottom and i cant get past it, i managed one time but now no button wont let me play, so im kinda stuck now with not working FC3000.
I dont knwo what that img file does, but it messes up cards booting and even after format they dont work like they should, the one that came with device, it doesnt boot at all when you put any roms on it, its just black screen.
There has to be something off in there in that img file.
Now im flashing v2, doing it over again(trying to at least make stock menu work)
no luck, still same lut image at boot, i have no clue whats happening.Its not bricked but its not playable, cant get past boot corrupted image.
I suspect that flashed V2 image is not really untouched, its tinkered with, does anyone have original V2 image ?

Ok, i have stock rom running and roms... so for now id like to know how i can copy anything to opendingux if ii cant see second partition in win7?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:05:03 pm by 2blackbar »

Nelugamer

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2021, 08:04:09 am »
One way to do it would be in software. The fact that it's not Linux but some proprietary Meli OS doesn't make it easy but I think it's still possible to get the LCD configuration from the software.
 Is there a way to dump the software that is working for the IPS display version ?
 I just ordered a V1 and it might have the IPS display , if it does I'd be willing to reverse the software to try and find the LCD routines.

I've previously uploaded here the firmware of the IPS version, is the one that Steward tested on his device, you can check it on previous messages.

I can try to do any test on my device with the required instructions if there's no advanced tools to use, etc...

I've seen somewhere on Aliexpress where they still sell what I believe is the IPS version but I'm not sure you can shop on Aliexpress from China, probably not.

Currently there's no warranty to receive an IPS v1 version of this console, sellers are not fully confident to send the model that they're announces... Yesterday a spanish user received a TFT version when the seller indicated it's an IPS...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:10:19 am by Nelugamer »

mforce2

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2021, 01:11:26 pm »
I looked at the firmware dump for the IPS. I think it's doable to analyze that but the seller didn't ship my FC3000 so I gave up on buying one. I have the Powkiddy J6 on which I really like the 4.3 inch IPS screen so I'll probably focus on that.

Nelugamer

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2021, 03:42:10 pm »
Do you want to use mine as test console? I can do all the tests you want... Please don't give up on analyzing this ;)

mforce2

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2021, 08:25:34 pm »
 No, sorry but when I have the time I plan on playing with the Powkiddy J6. If the current version of the FC3000 were with an IPS display I'd get one and invest time in it but as such I just don't feel it's worth it for the model that's not being produced anymore. The current FC3000 V2 is not cheap, not spectacular in any way and there's the Powkiddy Q90 for the same price with the same SOC that has an IPS screen.
 I'd really want to get this done but it's not trivial as Steward can probably even better tell you. I'm also not that good in reversing binary firmwares so it might take me quite a lot of time.

Steward_Fu (OP)

• Steward Website
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2021, 05:09:48 am »
I don't need anyone to donate or provide FC3000 handheld to me.  :)
I tried to reverse the firmware for IPS FC3000 handheld and quickly scan the reversed code to see whether there is any LCD initial sequence.
Unfortunately, no any information can be found.
Now, I focus on both PocketGo and TRIMUI handhelds.
I think it is time to say goodbye for IPS FC3000 handheld.
Anyway, thanks for everyone to help on FC3000 handheld. :)

Nelugamer

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2021, 01:59:20 pm »
I'm heartbroken now...  :'(

Nobody wants to continue this project in order to apply it to the IPS version?

Post a new topic