Author Topic: Bittboy CFW guide V2 V3 V3.5 (Updated CFW_V3.9_Beta_20190610  (Read 28572 times)

lazanti

Re: Bittboy CFW guide V2 V3 V3.5 (Updated CFW_V3.9_Beta_20190610
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2019, 02:19:49 pm »
When will Duke Nukem be ported to BittBoy?  ::)

8-Brit Generation

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2019, 07:56:51 pm »
is there any way to change the aspect ratio in mplayer?

a330boy

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2019, 11:52:44 pm »
Similar problem with Handy, is there a way to save settings in Pokemini? There is an option to save, but does not work at all. Running the game again reverts the settings.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:00:55 am by a330boy »

RetroRLD

Re: Bittboy CFW guide V2 V3 V3.5 (Updated CFW_V3.8_Beta_20190518
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:13 pm »
Just got my new BittBoy (V2). Strange.......it is not working with the new CFW 3.6. No display (black screen). Audio is working because I can hear the 'ding' when the BittBoy logo comes on. Anyone else encounter this problem???

Edit - Not working with any version of CFW (tried CFW 3.5 + CFW 3.6), only working with included 8GB SD card

How did you fix this? Im experiencing the same problem.

Update as 20190610 - OK so, as a summary:

- I've installed this CFW in my Bittboy V3.5: I've experiencing shuffle booting cycles, sometimes is boots but takes a while due to some issues with "Fat 32 mounting Partition and Unclean shutdown detected" (see picture attached). If I shutdown the device correctly, next time I powered on will show a Black Screen, sometimes Initial Logo and Beep sound at the background.

- Ive testing psx games but theres are a few that freezes the device. Sega genesis "mortal Kombat II", freezes too. I tried to check in parallel the same SEGA Mortal Kombat II game in my RS90, and theres no problems.

Hope this thing can be fixed soon. I've heard a lot of people very upset with this behaviour.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I'm having the same issue with a couple of v3.5 ones running the 3.9 CFW, one of them is worse than the other. The worst one, 7 out of 10 boots I'm having NxHope logo stuck, or black screen stuck, or a black screen with horizontal lines stuck, in all cases I can hear the "beep" sound. I tested it on the original "SanDisk" microSD included, on a couple of Genuine SanDisk, on a couple of AData microSDs class 10, and the behavior is the same on all of them.

My solution is (if you can call it solution?  :( )

I wait about 3 seconds after the "beep?, press "R" for 2 seconds and then press "A", the screen goes off, wait a pair of seconds and I turn off the switch. After that I try to turn it on again. Usually one or a couple of tries gets the job done, and it boots like it should. But it's very annoying, because everything is working like a charm, but you depend on luck to turn it on correctly on first try.

I hope it gets fixed or someone can explain me, what is wrong. Thanks in advance for your attention.

a330boy

« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2019, 02:22:18 am »
The craze is getting quiet on the Bittboy. Are there more emulators coming in like ColecoVision, NeoGeo Pocket or ScummVM?

chevette

« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2019, 02:29:00 am »
Just got my new BittBoy (V2). Strange.......it is not working with the new CFW 3.6. No display (black screen). Audio is working because I can hear the 'ding' when the BittBoy logo comes on. Anyone else encounter this problem???

Edit - Not working with any version of CFW (tried CFW 3.5 + CFW 3.6), only working with included 8GB SD card

- I've installed this CFW in my Bittboy V3.5: I've experiencing shuffle booting cycles, sometimes is boots but takes a while due to some issues with "Fat 32 mounting Partition and Unclean shutdown detected" (see picture attached). If I shutdown the device correctly, next time I powered on will show a Black Screen, sometimes Initial Logo and Beep sound at the background.

- Ive testing psx games but theres are a few that freezes the device. Sega genesis "mortal Kombat II", freezes too. I tried to check in parallel the same SEGA Mortal Kombat II game in my RS90, and theres no problems.

Hope this thing can be fixed soon. I've heard a lot of people very upset with this behaviour.

I'm having the same issue with a couple of v3.5 ones running the 3.9 CFW, one of them is worse than the other. The worst one, 7 out of 10 boots I'm having NxHope logo stuck, or black screen stuck, or a black screen with horizontal lines stuck, in all cases I can hear the "beep" sound. I tested it on the original "SanDisk" microSD included, on a couple of Genuine SanDisk, on a couple of AData microSDs class 10, and the behavior is the same on all of them.

I wait about 3 seconds after the "beep?, press "R" for 2 seconds and then press "A", the screen goes off, wait a pair of seconds and I turn off the switch. After that I try to turn it on again. Usually one or a couple of tries gets the job done, and it boots like it should. But it's very annoying, because everything is working like a charm, but you depend on luck to turn it on correctly on first try.

I hope it gets fixed or someone can explain me, what is wrong. Thanks in advance for your attention.

I'm having the same exact problem with my 3.5 BittBoy (running Firmware 3.9). Very annoying. I hope It's not a hardware problem.......maybe the devs will fix it with the next Firmware update???????

RetroRLD

« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:43 am »

I'm having the same exact problem with my 3.5 BittBoy (running Firmware 3.9). Very annoying. I hope It's not a hardware problem.......maybe the devs will fix it with the next Firmware update???????

Yes, I hope it's not a Hardware problem, but the problem persist with the Factory Firmware so, I don't know what to think. And last week I found a post on reddit of a similar issue with the pocketGo, but apart from the annoying reboots, sometimes the data gets corrupted and you're forced to format your SD CFW again...

chevette

« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2019, 12:15:25 pm »
I have (2) BittBoys ver 3.5 and they both have this boot-up problem. About 50% of the time they will boot to a black screen. I've tried different microSD cards, that didn't work. I tried older firmware 3.8, that didn't work. I've seen postings about this problem on GitHub and Reddit, so I know it's not just me. I would not recommend that anyone buy a BittBoy ver. 3.5 because of this annoying problem.

KING_CHODE

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2019, 02:53:18 am »
I also have an issue with a Bittboy v3.5 that seems similar to those described by other users.

After preparing a fresh SD card , the device will work normally for a few boots. Then, on the next boot, I will get console output messages about FAT dirty bit set, and an endless series of lcdc_irq_handler messages that come in every 1.5 seconds. Sometimes it will eventually boot if I let it sit long enough (>90 seconds), but most of the time it just seems 'stuck'.

This behavior is present on both the latest 3.9 CFW as well as stock firmware. It seems correlated with 'unclean' power shutdowns (just flicking the switch).

Any idea how to mitigate this? (I don't consider shutting it down 'properly' every time to be an acceptable solution for a handheld device). Can I use a /main formatted to EXT4?

chevette

« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2019, 10:30:09 pm »
I also have an issue with a Bittboy v3.5 that seems similar to those described by other users.

After preparing a fresh SD card , the device will work normally for a few boots. Then, on the next boot, I will get console output messages about FAT dirty bit set, and an endless series of lcdc_irq_handler messages that come in every 1.5 seconds. Sometimes it will eventually boot if I let it sit long enough (>90 seconds), but most of the time it just seems 'stuck'.

This behavior is present on both the latest 3.9 CFW as well as stock firmware. It seems correlated with 'unclean' power shutdowns (just flicking the switch).

Any idea how to mitigate this? (I don't consider shutting it down 'properly' every time to be an acceptable solution for a handheld device). Can I use a /main formatted to EXT4?

The BittBoy has to be shut down "safely", you can't just flick the power switch off. If you do, you risk file corruption, just like when you shut down Windows improperly. So to shut down properly, hold the R button till you get a "poweroff or reboot the device? message. Then press the A button and the unit will shut down. Then flick the power switch off. As far as I can see, there is no Reboot option.
With all the power up problems I have with my (2) ver 3.5 BittBoys, I have to shut them down cleanly every time it boots to a black screen (which is very often).     I hope this helps you

KING_CHODE

« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2019, 11:10:56 pm »
It actually does boot every time, I just wasn't waiting long enough.
Also, once you are in the middle of the fsck there's no way to shutdown safely.
So once the bad behavior starts, you HAVE to just let it finsh.
The 128 GiB card I was using takes ~250 seconds to boot.
More data below.

If your unit behaves like mine, it's hard to recommend anything over an 8 GB card...

Experiments with other filesystems etc to follow.

Code: [Select]
-----------------------------
-***************************-
-* BITTBOY - DUMB FAT FSCK *-
-***************************-
-----------------------------

Bittboy v3.5, purchased ~May 2019
CFW "Bittboy-V3.5only_v3.9_10-06-19.img"
sha256:
6dbe6c9ae5c0642247a7360c8fdb1615473927343fd47d7b72a34570a709e564 

Time from power switch to menu screen
Values are CLEAN BOOT, UNCLEAN BOOT

-------------------------------------

8 GiB factory card, - 11 seconds, 17 seconds

%%%NOTE: card that came with unit,
shipped with about 10 roms/system

--------------------------------------
Just after dd cfw v3.9

8 GiB cfw  - 15 seconds, 23 seconds
16 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 23 seconds
32 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 23 seconds
64 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 20 seconds

--------------------------------------
FAT32 Filesystem expanded, no roms yet

16 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 40 seconds
32 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 70 seconds     
64 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 150 seconds

After filling with small roms

8 GiB cfw  - 15 seconds, 29 seconds   
16 GiB cfw - 15 seconds, 60 seconds

%%%NOTE:
8_sd /roms  = 16133 file, 4.4 GiB
16_sd /roms = 32266 file, 8.8 GiB

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:18:03 pm by KING_CHODE »

chevette

« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:07 pm »
I have a 32GB Sandisk microSD card in mine and it boots up in about 10 seconds

KING_CHODE

« Reply #152 on: July 16, 2019, 10:44:08 am »
Anyone got a guide/info about putting cfw/updated software on the Pocket-Go?

The V3.9 image for v3.5 Bittboys boots up and seems to works fine, except the screen is upside down.

chevette

« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2019, 03:07:31 pm »
Anyone got a guide/info about putting cfw/updated software on the Pocket-Go?

The V3.9 image for v3.5 Bittboys boots up and seems to works fine, except the screen is upside down.

Different screen hardware??? so maybe PocketGo firmware won't work on a BittBoy. I tried this too, and the screen was inverted. I copied the KERNEL folder from BittBoy CFW and overwrote the PocketGo KERNEL. That fixed some things, but didn't fix the booting to a Black Screen that I'm having.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 03:52:57 pm by chevette »

KING_CHODE

« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2019, 09:58:17 pm »
Jutleys uploaded an image specifically for Pocket-go earlier today, there's a thread for it. https://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/pocket-go-cfw-v1-1-160719/

It is quite likely that the Bittboy and the Pocket-go use the same exact screen hardware, but with the screen just installed in a different orientation. I haven't torn down my pocket-go yet, but steward's teardowns suggest that this is the case. The bittboy has the cable coming in from the right side of the device, while the pocket-go has the lcd cable coming in from the left side (while looking at the front of the unit).

I haven't tested Jutley's image much, other than to note that the display image is now oriented right side up, but it still has unacceptably long fscks on dirty boots...

Jutleys (OP)

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2019, 04:53:52 pm »
Bittboy Only minor update  CFW V4.0
2019-07-17

Download
https://mega.nz/#!otJxUCiT!DVjjnOvQvnHeygzEUl4VGi3d-653rQj-wBSq2URqF7M

Changelog: installation simply unzip and overwrite into the main folder do not delete anything only overwrite :)

*GAMEBOY: New gambatte version (20190621) - Thanks surkow and hi-ban
    +Adds an 'auto' palette setting. Palette with the same name as the loaded rom will be automatically loaded
    +See pastebin link below for more information on using this feature
*GB(Rumble): (fix) Included correct rumble version of gambatte - Thanks steward
    +This version of gambatte supports rumble (on games that originally supported rumble), but has less features than the main gambatte port
*MIDNIGHTWILD: New Game Port! MidnightWild (Arduboy game) - Thanks crait
*NES: Updated FCEUX emulator - Thanks Scooterpsu
For further information on the CFW see https://pastebin.com/pBFTwAqc