Author Topic: Retro VGS -- New console  (Read 15371 times)

darklight1138 (OP)

Retro VGS -- New console
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:03:27 am »
This is probably the best and most updated link for anyone interested. If there's anyone interested, that is.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/

Despite the name, the Retro VGS is an entirely new console that plays cartridges. It gets its name because it plays new"retro style games". One of the guys involved is Gamester81 who has a pretty good retro gaming channel. I think he should probably stick to talking about games however.

So does this system sound good? No, not really.

Unfortunately, it's a 16 bit system. Furthermore, all it will do is play games. But only its own games -- no SNES, Sega, Atari or anything else. Its design is based on the Atari Jaguar, but uglier if that's possible. It's controller looks like a generic Wii controller.

What games are going to be on it? Well, according to the devs, they're having "conversations" with big name game companies. Of course, sending an email to the company could be considered a "conversation". There is nothing official save for a Shovel Knight ripoff called "Tiny Knight" which looks more like a NES game than a SNES.

Furthermore, this thing will cost at least $150, with exclusives starting at $20 and big licensed ports maybe going past the $50 mark. They are starting a Kickstarter in a few months and they hope to keep the price at $150 but it could go to $180!

Sorry, but I see failure written all over this thing. Waaaaay too expensive, way too limited and who are the guys that are creating it?? If something like the much cheaper Ouya can fail, which looks better and does a whole lot more, what are the chances of this thing even getting to the manufacturing stage? We've seen actual companies -- BIG, well known companies like Sega, Atari, etc -- create consoles that have flopped. The Ouya itself had a library when it came out. This thing has NO games, save for the aforementioned Shovel Knight clone which is in development.

Let's not forget that consoles lose money for companies when they come out. On top of that, cartridges are more expensive than disc based media. Also, retro or retro-style gaming is very easy and cheap to come by, with most peoples' phones able to play better games than this Retro VGS. If you want to play on a TV, there are many cheap and easy routes to explore. I could spend less on a Retron 5 and get a system that not only has thousands of games to choose from, but many games I've played and know will be good.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

lemmywinks

Re: Retro VGS -- New console
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:47:40 am »
Wow, all the hardware limitations of the 16bit era with none of the good games? Where do I sign up?  ;D
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

Melquiades

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 05:30:05 pm »
We all love old consoles and games. But keeping all the limitations and drawbacks from that time, while not having any of the selling points (great and simple but difficult games) seems a very bad idea.  Any Android box with an USB/bluetooth controller would fare like ten million times  better than an obscure console doomed to fail no matter how good are the intentions of the people behind it.

I fail to see the advantages of getting indie games at $20 versus Humble Bundle or GOG. And getting AA games released in cartridge on 2015 is science fiction. Pier Solar for Genesis/Megadrive took ages to materialized, and that was with a good team and a solid, doable single project, for a system with many sold units. Even Sturmwind for Dreamcast, which used simple CDs for production was a nightmare for everybody involved, including the purchasers (luckily it turned out to be a masterpiece with rock-solid production values). Project Eternity almost the same, even if it was done by Obsidian.

I don?t think the odds of getting something even close to it in an obscure system are very high. That been said, I would be very happy to be proved wrong. But these things... miracles do not occur. The ouya was the most kickstarter can do, and it has done barely OK in terms of  catalog.

Even if this console turned out to be a success, I would fucking hate to be subject to speculators selling in ebay at 200$ the really good games. Just look at the NG Dev Team games. I love physical content for my classic platforms, but Steam  is so much better than struggling to get a copy of Twilight Princess for gamecube or Shenmue 2 for the Dreamcast.

zhongtiao1

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 09:34:02 pm »
Wow, all the hardware limitations of the 16bit era with none of the good games? Where do I sign up?  ;D
If the hardware is on par with the Super A'can, the games might actually be pretty good

darklight1138 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 02:41:04 am »
Well, I don't see how any big name publisher would want to make games for this thing and have to deal with costly cart manufacturing. They'd have to open up a factory or warehouse or something for that, wouldn't they?

It's a catch-22. The company would need to see a demand for it, but potential buyers would want to see that there's going to be a library for it before shelling out $150 to $180 for a 16-bit system with an ugly Jaguar housing.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

lemmywinks

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:22:42 am »
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the carts will probably be an SD card in a large plastic box.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »
I fail to see the advantages of getting indie games at $20 versus Humble Bundle or GOG. And getting AA games released in cartridge on 2015 is science fiction. Pier Solar for Genesis/Megadrive took ages to materialized, and that was with a good team and a solid, doable single project, for a system with many sold units. Even Sturmwind for Dreamcast, which used simple CDs for production was a nightmare for everybody involved, including the purchasers (luckily it turned out to be a masterpiece with rock-solid production values). Project Eternity almost the same, even if it was done by Obsidian.

Actually, AA titles do get physical releases. I signed up for IndieBox and I absolutely love their service. The price averages to about $16 a month and they come with really cool extras. Consider this- Risk of Rain started off as a Kickstarter with no reward tier that gave you a physical copy of the game. I got a physical copy of it for $16, it also came with a journal, brooch pin, stickers, instruction booklet and socks! I'm not kidding. If they even had a reward tier with all of that on their Kickstarter, it would easily cost $40-60. Indiebox was able to make it for about $16. So my point is- if they have an organized operation that knows what they're doing, instead of just a few guys in their shed out back because they don't trust anyone and think they're saving money that way, then they could get a good operation going. Not to say that I think they'll succeed, which I'll get into in a second....

Well, I don't see how any big name publisher would want to make games for this thing and have to deal with costly cart manufacturing. They'd have to open up a factory or warehouse or something for that, wouldn't they?

It's a catch-22. The company would need to see a demand for it, but potential buyers would want to see that there's going to be a library for it before shelling out $150 to $180 for a 16-bit system with an ugly Jaguar housing.

If they were smart, what they would do is make it possible to play Jaguar games on it, exactly like a clone system. Atari Jaguars are going for like $100-130 right now. If I could buy a new Jaguar that plays all the old games, I would be tempted to get on board with this. And how about the infamous Jaguar CD? Anyone who watches AVGN (a lot of people) knows those are rare, expensive and prone to break. How about they find a way to add a USB connection to their Retro VGS so the user can connect just a regular CD drive to play Jaguar CD games?

I don't have a lot of faith in the project though. The guy who's doing this and bought the molds to make them is the guy who made Retro magazine. I backed that Kickstarter and it's the only one I regret so far. I only got 4 out of the 6 issues I was supposed to get and I'm not the only one that this happened to. The magazine is also consistently late. A full year was supposed to have 6 issues and that year turned in to almost 15 months.

I will say though, he is able to round up a lot of talented people. But he really overestimates how many people will buy this thing and how many AAA publishers will license out their games to be released on it. He was on the AllGenGamers podcast (which has Gamester81 as a host) they did a whole episode about this console, here's the link. He talks about the possibility of selling 50,000 or so, which I would be surprised if even the Ouya has been able to do. Plus, after working with GCW I can tell you that there are people who sit on the rights to obscure, classic game franchises and all they do is sit on them. It's strange because you would think that if they're sitting on the rights and not releasing anything it's because no one has approached them before or something. But no, even after showing initial interest, they would rather just sit on the rights and have them make no money than release the game anywhere else.

So yeah, I don't see this succeeding. I predict it's going to fail at the Kickstarter level, which is probably best for it. With a price tag of at least $150, that is a tough Kickstarter to back. Think about it like this- you're asking people to pay $150 for a VCR that doesn't play their old movies but might have some independent films released later on. There, I just wrote their Kickstarter pitch.

Other obvious points worth mentioning:

-No indie studio is going to develop for this because 1) it doesn't run on iOS or Android; 2) the small install base is going to make it worthless; 3) they don't want to have to factor in the cost of manufacturing cartridges and even if they did, whatever they don't sell they have to eat

-$150 to buy this thing?? Yeah, right.

-With a three horse race for the home console market and with Amazon and Nvidia trying to turn Android boxes into viable competition, who's in the market for this?

-Seriously. How many people are regulars in the Atari Jaguar forums? Take that number, cut it in half, cut it in half again and that's your market for this console. I can't imagine anyone else being sold on this. It's purely a novelty for Jaguar collectors.

hamie96

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:06:56 am »
Actually, AA titles do get physical releases. I signed up for IndieBox and I absolutely love their service. The price averages to about $16 a month and they come with really cool extras.
I used to be subscribed to IndieBox (I started around the release of the first box). It's a pretty good service, but I find it hard to justify most of the games and extras I received. The only boxes I actually liked (out of the 6) were the Lufausers and Escape Goat 2 boxes. The rest were pretty average in terms of extras for the price you pay.

Anyway, I've been following this console since they announced it a while back. I honestly don't really understand who the system is trying to appeal to, but hopefully it pans out for them. The tentative price they've been floating around ($150-$160) seems a little high for my tasters, but to each their own.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:54:46 am »
Anyway, I've been following this console since they announced it a while back. I honestly don't really understand who the system is trying to appeal to, but hopefully it pans out for them. The tentative price they've been floating around ($150-$160) seems a little high for my tasters, but to each their own.

Yeah. I'm weary of products that create a solution to a problem that never existed. Who ever woke up one day and said "ya know what we really need these days? A new cartridge based game system!"

I like this guy's ambition but he seems like a well to do retro gamer who's just checking items off his bucket list. Create a retro gaming magazine *check*, create a retro game console *check*, deliver Kickstarter rewards on time... eh... let me get back to you on that.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:22 am »
There's been some movement on this console.

Still no Kickstarter but they say they've secured Pier Solar, but I can't find official word from the developers and they claim they're in talks to get Super Noah's Ark 3D.

It's nice to see they're starting to get games on it. But I still don't have a lot of faith in it being able to meet its goals once the Kickstarter goes live. I just don't think the niche market of people who want these games in physical form are enough to carry this project all the way. We'll see...

superfenix2020

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 06:03:07 pm »
this console never see the light.

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 08:16:35 pm »
Yep, just three days into their Indiegogo campaign and it's already circling the toilet.

Also, the second pic that's no longer pulling up is supposed to be Super Noah's Ark 3D. The rights holder to that game has had a very public falling out with the Retro guys.

I don't think this will survive to the end of the campaign. They'll pull the plug by the end of the month.

lemmywinks

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 11:03:03 am »
Looks like this project was a shambles from the start, just a load of guys who like the sound of their own voices and want your money to pursue their projects.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-73#entry3326949

If you don't know already the guy they're insulting and belittling is Kevin Horton, the only guy involved who could actually make this project happen. Apparently they went from desperately needing his accurate cores to having a much more capable system in a matter of months, looks like they found some magic coding pixies in those butchered Jaguar shells they bought!
Handhelds:
PC:

Jayson

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 08:52:41 pm »
I had completely forgot this console existed. I remember hearing the name, and then seeing the designs and being excited, but lost all interest after I saw some youtube channel demoing early builds of a game or two on it. I know they're early builds, but nothing I've seen on it looks all that great. It also doesn't seem to be getting any real support, and I'm not sure what developers they could get to develop titles for the hardware and deal with the manufacturing costs of cartridges in 2015. If a developer liked Devolver Digital or Adult Swim Games got on board, I would honestly think about giving it a shot, since their aesthetic seems like it might scale to something like this but... yeah no. I have no interest in it. The other problem is that if they're targeting a retro style new console, everyone that likes to make those games seems to already be putting their software out elsewhere.

It sure is a pretty piece of hardware, though!
Do you know where I can find some sailors?

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 04:06:45 am »
I made a video about this and it's been very well received among those interested in this fiasco.

Mike Kennedy or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Retro VGS

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20220815043114/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gz727LyMiI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gz727LyMiI</a>

It's a fascinating project, there's not as many updates as before and it feels like they're going to pull the plug any day now but it's so interesting to watch.

lemmywinks

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 11:14:09 am »
Yeah I watched that Retro Land video last night, it's a scarily accurate summary of how they perceive their intended market. I'm getting a little weary of crowdfunded hardware cash-grabs, it seems like these guys just bought the Jag molds and thought everything else would just fall into place, whereas it now looks like they are going with software emulation on a RK3188 and selling it for $350. You've gotta ask, if there is no update functionality, everything is done in software and they have no FPGA cores then why not just stick a $50 Android box in their case and have done with it?

My general rule of thumb on these KS/IGG hardware pitches is that if a middle aged guy repeatedly uses the word "awesome" then it's going to tank.
Handhelds:
PC:

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 06:32:08 pm »
Aaaaannnnd it's over.

From their Facebook:
Hey Everyone! It?s clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste. Or you can go in and request a refund from Indiegogo right now.

The good news is we aren?t giving up and have made some adjustments to our hardware team, which includes the involvement of other hardware gurus who were part of our venture in the very beginning. We will also be lowering the price while maintaining most of the cool features you all want.

We will be back in the near future with a prototype RETRO VGS system, front-and-center playing our games on our cartridges and with our USB controller. Sit tight, be patient and RETRO VGS will return.

Thanks again for your support, patience and understanding while we regroup and prepare for the relaunch of a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter.

I guess their first RVGS crowdfunding effort was a wake up call. Maybe they can make something desirable with the lessons they learned, but I'm not holding my breath. The minds behind this campaign have more ambition than sense, which can be dangerous on crowdfunding sites and for any business in general.

You're right about your rule of thumb, lemmywinks. My litmus test is that any KS/IGG project must at least be sensible enough to be able to sell in Sky Mall magazine.

lemmywinks

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 07:41:22 pm »
Although it was a source of humour throughout the campaign I actually love those translucent Jag shell renders, they should ditch the solid colours and just do those. Even though they showed how unprepared they were by doing everything ass backwards and getting just about everything wrong maybe they can make something pretty neat, they need to look at all the criticism and do things properly though rather than blaming their target market for not liking their product.
Handhelds:
PC:

Jayson

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 02:06:19 am »
LOL. I absolutely loved your video, man. I used to listen to The Retro League and Retro Gaming Roundup all the time. For RGR, the thing that got me to stop listening is that how committed 2/3 of the guys on the show seem to be to the concept of living in Retro Land. I love retro games as much as anyone, and I wish I could believe in this product, but I think the biggest problem is that the team working on the Retro VGS just want to pretend like modern consoles don't exist, or handhelds, and that there are plenty of retro games that launched broken. I really wish I could believe in this thing succeeding, but I don't see how it has a chance with no known developers on board and especially that shady looking prototype you showed in the video.

Oh well, I'm still interested in seeing how development works out for them.

Also, I didn't mention it, but the problem I had with The Retro League is that the hosts all seemed out of touch or stating things that definitely weren't true as fact with nothing to back up their words. I don't care if someone gets something wrong, but if you're going to get it wrong, at least mention an article you read or something beyond whatever you wanted to make up. I also can't stand retro gaming podcasts pretending modern things don't exist at all. You don't have to like it, but you can't pretend like there aren't retro style games being developed for modern consoles.
Do you know where I can find some sailors?

Pardue

• GamingGems
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 04:57:08 am »
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the video! You hit the nail right on the head, even with your talk of how retro gaming podcasts can get out of touch quickly. I never subscribed to The Retro League or RGR (found the host too annoying and 4 hours?!? Are you serious?!). But getting out of touch was one of my problems with AllGenGamers. I know that there are some people out there that ONLY retro game, but I think a majority of the retro gaming market stay in touch with modern gaming or at least indie games.

Also, if you want to see something funny about the RVGS project's problems currently:

From Retro VGS Facebook:
Hey Everyone! It?s clear, in its current state the RETRO VGS Indiegogo campaign is dead in the water and thusly will be shut down early. Once the Indiegogo team explains to us how we can do this, the plug will be pulled and all of you who have contributed will receive a refund post haste.

From Indiegogo: Deleting a Campaign
All campaigns that have raised funds must be kept live in order to preserve your campaign information and contributor details. Campaigns can only be deleted if they have not raised any funds.

I was wondering why the campaign was still live. They can't delete their campaign! It must stay live until it runs its course! .... Welp, that's awkward.

It's so fittingly ironic that a campaign that couldn't get on Kickstarter because they didn't read their rules now cannot get off Indiegogo because they didn't read those rules either!

Post a new topic