Author Topic: PS Vita, how does it fare against Dingoo, and other systems?  (Read 7071 times)

LifeIsOnTheWire (OP)

PS Vita, how does it fare against Dingoo, and other systems?
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:54 am »
Hey everyone, my first post here.  I've been into the retro gaming and emulation thing for a long time.  I had a GP32 and GP2X back in the day.  Lately I've been gaming on my Android devices.  but I'm getting tired of touchscreen controls, and bluetooth controllers are not convenient.

I've been reading about the JXD and Dingoo devices for a while. 

The JXD seems great, because Android is familiar to me.  But the physical quality concerns me, and they don't seem as portable. 

Dingoo devices look nice and simple, but the spartan controls look like they might limit me to 8-16 bit games :S  The Dingux OS seems to be well supported by the community.  But the lack of touchscreen means ScummVM would suck.   It would also be nice to run the occasional Dosbox.

The PS Vita seems like the best of both worlds.  Not to mention the physical quality, and their indie game selection is improving.  And the promise of Remote play on the PS4 looks amazing.

My BIG concern is how difficult it is to get it up and running on Emulators/Homebrew.  I've been reading some of the forums and it doesnt seem very "turn-key". 

Does anyone have a Vita running emulators?  Was it worth the trouble?  Is it annoying to have to find the "hack of the week" everytime there is a system update?

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
Re: PS Vita, how does it fare against Dingoo, and other systems?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:35:40 pm »
Give a go to JXD S5110b.

LifeIsOnTheWire (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:54:15 am »
to be honest, I'm not all that interested in JXD.  i have read too many complaints about analog sticks breaking off the motherboard,  and their LCD screens are crap.

one of my biggest concerns is that their 'build' of android is complete garbage.  if they were more widely sold, like Samsung, or Asus, this wouldnt be a concern, because there would be an army of people making custom software.

i know theres a few 3rd party android builds for them, but if I'm buying something that isn't what I want "out of the box", then I'm leaning more towards a Vita.

lemmywinks

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:56:21 am »
i know theres a few 3rd party android builds for them, but if I'm buying something that isn't what I want "out of the box", then I'm leaning more towards a Vita.

The Vita doesn't do what you want out of the box though, you have to softmod it, I'm guessing by instaling 3rd party custom firmware.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, PlayGo, RS-90, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket c/w screen mod, PSP Go
PC:
ASUS TUF, Medion Erazer, Toshiba Z20t, Dell Mini 9, Psion 5MX, Toshiba 3480ct
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

fosamax

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:17:55 am »
Currently, the Vita is only able to run PSP homebrew through VHBL.

There's for now no promise that you may use its real power for indie gaming. So you can get access to the massive PSP homebrew library BUT don't expect too much of it since PSP hardware is quite outdated.

Not to mention that VHBL is patched each time sony update the firmware, which may be mandatory for many games to work or to access new features.

You may consider the following :

- Hacked PSP + Vita (not really more expensive and more user friendly)
- Caanoo + Vita but Caanoo tends to be harder to find those days. The caanoo is quite similar to dingoo but it's a bit more powerfull and has a touchscreen.
- Pandora which even feature nds emulation, that your vita can't do for sure.

Anyway don't hold your breathe by saying it's just a matter of time before the vita is fully hacked and open. Just remember that the nintendo dsi does'nt support homebrew in dsi mode except for a very low number of hacked games that were patched and blocked from nintendo long time ago.

The same apply for the 3DS : no homebrew support except in true nds mode via flashcarts.

surfi80

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 10:11:15 am »
a shame, PsVita has potential that could emulate nearly all
play with the best? die like the rest!

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/PS_VITA_Usuarios_EoL

Pollux

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:58 am »
I had the same question a few weeks ago.
After a long search I quit from PS-Vita and bought a  cheap PSP 3004.
I'm having some fun now because I have old school games running (incluiding ScummVM) and I have the "bonus" of playing PSP games.
However I'm not happy with MAME emulators because they play the same games that Dingoo do (or even less) but I got my Android devices to play those (few) games I like outside PSP.
If you like android games (like Real Racing 3, etc) you cannot play them in PS-Vita (as far as I know) so you'll have to play them in other gadgets (same to PSP/Canoo/Dingoo).
Despite that if you and a "solid" handheld I think you should have multiple devices to play what you like.
In my case I now own those systems: NDS, PSP, Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (P3100) only for gaming proposes.

Post a new topic