Author Topic: Good Tutorials for XBOX Modding  (Read 14857 times)

GideonB

Good Tutorials for XBOX Modding
« on: November 03, 2009, 03:54:24 pm »
Hi there i haven't been able to find a good SIMPLE tutorial for SoftModding an XBOX. All the GOOD ones are really complicated. Can any help me?

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
Re: Good Tutorials for XBOX Modding
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:14:26 pm »
The best way to mod an original xbox without a modchip is to "hot swap" and install the softmod using a pc-based xboxhdm disk.

hot swapping is simply a method of unlocking the xbox hdd and then connecting it to a computer so that the softmod can be installed. You can find a guide explaining how the hot swap is done over here - http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Hard_Disk_Hotswap_HOWTO

You can find a guide for installing a replacement dashboard using "Ndure" overe here - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

Hope that helps :)

segakiki

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »
Go to this site it has all the tools and tutorials you need.
The site is french but almost all of the downloads are english and the site can be translated through google!

http://gx-mod.com/xbox/modules/mydownloads/index.php

Hope this helps!

trooper

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:40 pm »
This isn`t the exact tutorial i used, But it pretty much follows the same principals. And Splinter Cell was the game i used.

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-183.html

Trooper

Rebelphoenix

• Critical Indie Gamer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:14:31 pm »
there's a site called xbox-scene that works well too.

Doom_master1122

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 11:04:48 pm »
This isn`t the exact tutorial i used, But it pretty much follows the same principals. And Splinter Cell was the game i used.

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/xbox-tutorials-183.html

Trooper

That is the old way to softmod. Well at least the software is old. I've modded several Xboxs. However the tutorial I think fits better and would be better is this one. I've used it on my first "Mod". And continue to use it on Xboxs that come my way.
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-tutorials/5334-softmod-your-xbox-sid-4-0-a.html

It requires
Action Replay for Xbox (With the memory card and the adapter to transfer saves from PC to the Memory card)
Splinter Cell (Preferred)
or Mech Assult, or 007 Agent Under fire. Must be NON platinum hits.

It allows Dual booting your Xbox between Softmod and the original Dashboard. When getting around to choose EvoX and Unleashed X dash boards. Install Unleashed X. It has many features that EvoX doesn't have, and the Dashboard themes are MUCH better. Over all it is user friendly to newcomers to the Softmodded Xbox world, and is also Advance enough to satisfy people who like to do more advance modding such as flashing bios.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:08:04 pm by Doom_master1122 »

Goon8

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 11:39:07 pm »
If you don't have a support game (007/splitercell etc) & a memory card, the only way to go about it is hot swapping. Only problem is you have to open the Xbox, which can be a pain in the arse if you aren't confident in such things, in which case getting a memory card, or making one by joining an xbox cable/usb cable (which is what I did :P ) and a supported title isn't too much mucking around. Xbox games sell for like 5 bucks, just call around and get a support title/memory card, shouldn't cost more then $20.

I found the whole Xbox modding scene EXTREMELY confusing, because there's no clear indication of what method works best, so trying to work out the safest and easiest way was a bit overwhelming.

Hot swap is cheap but can be confusing if you aren't confident in what you're doing.
OR
Softmod with a supported game/memory card. Easiest and safest way imo, but costs money!

GideonB

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28:02 pm »
Completed it with a hot-swap. However unable to ftp to xbox. Don't know why it doesn't work. meh

Doom_master1122

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 09:25:39 pm »
Completed it with a hot-swap. However unable to ftp to xbox. Don't know why it doesn't work. meh
FTP with Flash FXP. You need a special type of ethernet cable. The Cross-over cable. I wired my cable to my router. Changed Xbox to Static IP(I believe so, not completely sure.) Got the IP of the Xbox and put it into Flash FXP. Username is xbox and password is xbox. Unless your machine changed it. I don't think it will though.

QBert

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 01:34:26 am »
FTP with Flash FXP. You need a special type of ethernet cable. The Cross-over cable. I wired my cable to my router. Changed Xbox to Static IP(I believe so, not completely sure.) Got the IP of the Xbox and put it into Flash FXP. Username is xbox and password is xbox. Unless your machine changed it. I don't think it will though.

If you're using a router, you don't need a crossover cable, or a static IP. Keep Evolution X in DHCP mode and take note of the IP address shown on the main menu (ie: your router will assign your xbox an IP address). FTP to that IP address with the username/password: xbox/xbox. Any FTP client should work (eg: Filezilla).

I recommend that you install a recent build of XBMC and make it your default dashboard.

Doom_master1122

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 03:14:37 am »
 Really? I couldn't FTP to my Xbox through the router without the crossover cable. The minute I tried the crossover cable I was able to connect and transfer.

QBert

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 02:16:37 pm »
Really? I couldn't FTP to my Xbox through the router without the crossover cable. The minute I tried the crossover cable I was able to connect and transfer.

Maybe the first cable you tried was faulty? The only time a crossover cable would be required is if you were connecting the XBox directly to a NIC on your PC. Otherwise, the router takes care of the switching automatically -- no cross-over required.

Doom_master1122

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 05:27:17 pm »
Ah. May be it was faulty. Idk. Doesn't really matter anymore. I FTP'd to the Xbox and got stuff in it already...
Good to know though. :)

sonicboy

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 05:57:55 pm »
Hi,

I know it's an old topic, but just want to as some information upon transferring the hacked save game to the memory card. Could this card http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300579435233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT do the trick? If so, which software would i have to use (the action replay or the one mentioned in the ebay auction?

thanks for helping me out

fenixt

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »
The easiest way I have found it to use the Jungleflasher tutorial pdf. It has sort of a step by step with your specific kind of console. It stays pretty up to date afaik. From what I know, there isn't an 'easy' way to mod an xbox, only the right way, specific to what drive you have. So, yeah, skip all the forum tuts and just use the pdf.

Harteex

• * Administrator
    • Harteex Productions
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 09:09:02 pm »
The easiest way I have found it to use the Jungleflasher tutorial pdf. It has sort of a step by step with your specific kind of console. It stays pretty up to date afaik. From what I know, there isn't an 'easy' way to mod an xbox, only the right way, specific to what drive you have. So, yeah, skip all the forum tuts and just use the pdf.

This topic is for Xbox 1 modding, not Xbox 360.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic