Author Topic: Wi-Fi Problem Very Disappointed (S7800B 16GB) RESOLVED  (Read 6324 times)

YB50 (OP)

Wi-Fi Problem Very Disappointed (S7800B 16GB) RESOLVED
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:45:37 am »
Hey guys,
I purchased a S7800b 16GB from Aliexpress, it arrived packaged very well and appears undamaged. But I have a big problem with the Wi-Fi, it is ridiculously slow; downloads time out, I rarely see over 56KB/s, happy chick game downloads time out. It's awful I used wifi speed test and it goes up to about 3MB/s and within less than 2 seconds it seems to "cap" itself down to about 100KB/s. I have had this annoying problem since I got my device.

Wi-Fi signal strength seems to be average/comparable to my phone so I think it's a firmware problem, all other devices on my network including other android devices do not have this problem. The build is S7800-01-V1.5-20140327.210822 if anyone could shed any light on this issue I would really appreciate it. Also I had to root the device; I fought it was supposed to be rooted out of the box.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:27:46 pm by YB50 »

Joe Sixpack

Re: Wi-Fi Problem Very Disappointed (S7800B 16GB)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:59 am »
not sure about 1.5.. I know 1.1.4 and earlier are rooted.

I think issues with wifi speed also.. I rarely see more then 1.5mb/sec out of wifi which is a lot less then what it should be.

Webclaw has updated wifi drivers in his firmware, not sure if it helps any but you could try that.

YB50 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:30:02 pm »
Thanks for your help. I'm want to upgrade to Prometheum CFW as that has updated wifi drivers and seems like a nice ROM. I don't suppose you know how to backup a ROM? I want to backup my ROM in case anything goes wrong. Is there a program that I can use?

EDIT: Also I forgot to ask, does my 16GB device need a special ROM or will an 8GB ROM work?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:32:14 pm by YB50 »

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:25:32 pm »
best way i've found is to install a custom recovery, I use clockworkmod
then do a back up, it will do perfect restoration.

I do not know if the 16gb needs a special firmware, I don't think so but that is only a educated guess.

truffle

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:34:25 pm »
I'm have the same problem as you. I think happy chick servers tends to be slow to begin with (some at 30kb/ sec) BUT I did manage download a game at 1.5mb/sec last night. Playstore apps also download at a decent speed for me. It's also true that wifi strength is less than decent; certain distances from the router lower the signal strength. Maybe we have that antenna issue as others have complained about?

I'm using promethium build btw.

truffle

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:51:38 am »
After giving this some thought, I'm finally returning it to DinoDirect.... I just couldn't deal with the product's issues some are possibly limited to the unit I received:

Bad wifi
Choppy frame rate in certain games
Occasional sluggish performance
Stuck buttons
Horrible sound board plus sub par speakers (my phone is louder and better sounding...)
corners of the touch screen seem unresponsive

I want to like it, really, but my phone sadly outperforms it... Or maybe I'm just asking too much from a 130$ tablet to begin with... I was hoping I'd be able to use it as a media tablet with occasional gaming but I guess I'll just otg a large capacity usb stick on my phone until something better comes up...  :(

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:29:28 am »
some of those are just inherent to the device.
I've got 2 of them and both have shitty wifi speed.. range is'nt all that great either.

the touch screen on these units is just a step above garbage.
sensitivity is fine but accuracy is trash and it's easy to (for lack of a better word) trick it into acting weird.

WebClaw

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 03:07:04 pm »
best way i've found is to install a custom recovery, I use clockworkmod
then do a back up, it will do perfect restoration.

I do not know if the 16gb needs a special firmware, I don't think so but that is only a educated guess.

It does not need any special firmware - I own a 16GB model / tested working w/o issues.

YB50 (OP)

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:56 am »
Well ladies and gents I found the cause of the problem. Here in the UK we have a ISP called Virgin Media, they supply you with a WiFi router called a "Super Hub".

My Super Hub still had default settings on it, I turned off "OBBS", changed the password mode from "WPA Auto" to "WPA2-PSK[AES]" and enabled "Greenfield Mode". This has improved the performance no end; I'm now seeing 5MB/s on Happy Chick, Google Play and the browser are also much faster. It has improved my whole network. The strange thing is when I used to connect my S7800B to my Super Hub it used to slow down the whole network, now I've changed the settings the whole network works perfectly with my S7800B.

I hope this information will be helpful to you guys. I believe most modern routers support WPA2 and Greenfield mode so give it a try!

(The Super Hub is a Netgear router made for Virgin Media.)

Edit: Forgot to add I am now running Promethium CFW but this had no effect on fixing the WiFi. @Maetel thanks for the CFW it is lovely.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:17:43 am by YB50 »

hippy dave

Re: Wi-Fi Problem Very Disappointed (S7800B 16GB) RESOLVED
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:35:17 am »
Very interesting, gonna check that out - I'm on Virgin too. Cheers for the info!

Post a new topic