Author Topic: What will or will not work on a 7800b JXD  (Read 14029 times)

gvilhena (OP)

What will or will not work on a 7800b JXD
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:31 pm »
Firmware: WebClaw 116-7

I thought it would be helpful for myself and others to talk about what does work (or not) on a 7800b JXD device. If you want to add your personal experience with this unit so others do not make the same mistake or they could copy your good experiences, this would help people to move in the right direction with this unit (could even help individuals decide should they buy it or not)

I will start with the bad experiences first:

-Gl tools 107xda
It kind of work on this device. tested it with the new "Walking dead Seasons apk Amazon Kindle version" and it did work (it does look good, you can get the free demo now on Google play) I use the word "kind of" because the fist time i used it it soft brick my unit... when i finally did get it to work (install your apk fist then install the GL tools last) it allowed me to play games not designed for this unit but at a performance cost of 10 to 20% on all other games (not really worth keeping)

-the top right analog joystick does not always universally work (remember some games like ShadowGun have the JXD game profiler tuned on automatically. just activated the mapper and hit "clean/close" and you will notice a perfectly working right joystick... if you need to map your action buttons then map them... also works for RTCW4A and Dead Trigger 1). you can not map the right analog joystick to games unless you use the JXD touch screen maper. the stars represent the sensitivity so just play around with it. keep in mind if it works with out the JXD mapper it will move a lot smoother.

-after a period of time with using the joysticks your touch screen will stop working (you need to flick your power switch and everything will be fine).

- i had a usb problem with the unit re-starting but it is debatable if it has anything to do with the unit. looking thought the net if found enough theories (no real had facts) that if the usb device is faulty it could cause a short that in turn will cause your unit to crash, freeze or reboot. it could also be the otg cable or the mini usb plug on this unit. most of my usb devices do work only the one caused my unit to re-start.

now the good news:

PPSSPP v9.8-238
remember not every game is going to work, more like 1  out of 5 will work perfectly. games that i am playing are:
Gladiator, Manhunt 2, Miami Vice, Narato Ultimate ninja Heroes, NHL 07, Shinobido: tales of a ninja, SoulCalibur: Broken destiny, Star Treck: Tactical Assault, Steambot Cronicles, Valkyria cronicals 2, and Way of the samurai

Reicast R6 alpha
It is even worse in this one, 1 out of 20 seems to work perfectly.
Shadowman, Resident Evil Veronica and Soul Reaver

PS1 (most of your emulators are good)
I like to play with the OpenGl plug in for better graphics (almost N64 level) The PS1 has the highest success rate (with out the OpenGl plugin) 8 out of 10 games should work perfectly.
Alien resurrection, Armored Core Master of arena, Front mission 3, Martian Gothic, Resident Evil 2 and Star Trek Invation

N64 (I use the old and dead N64oid 2.7 for hi-res texture games and Mupen64Plus for some of the others)
I have downloaded and used all of the available High resolution texture pack (not that many exist, location to install... N64oid 2.7 kept the location in sdcard\.n64oid\hires_texture\"name of the game folder") it really helps make these classic games look even better. 6 out out of 10 games will work perfectly.
AreoGuage, Airboarder, Earthworm Jim, Goldeneye, Kirby, Legend of Zelda 1 and 2(hi-res), Mace, Mega man, Paper Mario(hi-Res), Perfect Dark, Ready to rumble 2, Star Fox(hi-res), Super Smash(hi res) and Super Mario(hi-Res)

Now android games:
Wanting to see what this unit can do, i have tested all of these games for afew minutes, and during those few minutes all of these games ran smooth with no problems. Not every game can be downloaded from the Google store and others are modiffied to run on Mali GPU's. here is the list:
9mm, Anomaly 1/2, Arlon HD, Bard's tale(hi-res pack), bladeslinger, Breach and clear, Can knock down 1 to 3, Conduit HD, Contract Killer 1 and 2, D-Day, Dark meadow, Dead Effect, Dead Space, Dead trigger 1 and 2 (both had the .xml file edited for ultra visual settings), Dues Ex, Dragon Slayer, Dungeon Hunter 4, Dungeon nightmare, Epoch, getaway, GOF 2, GTA (all versions), House of the dead, Horn, Imperial Gal2, Jedi Kight 2, Jelly Defence, LOD tactics, Lonewolf, Modern Combat 4, Mass Effect infiltrator, MX meltdown, NOVA 3, NFS most wanted, Ravensword 2, Rayman Series, Real racing 3, Rema, Riptide GP2, Rise to Glory, Return to Castle Wolfinstine (plus mods), Quake 1 and 2 (plus mods), ShadowGun, Shadowrun, Shardland, Sine Mora, Call of duty - Strike team, summit X, Survival craft, Bat man, The Desent, The room, trial Xtreme 3, TW battles, Walking Dead assault (not the episodes), Walking dead (an adventure novel game), and finally World war Z.

Video play back on the unit is good (for me at least, some people are reporting a problem so it could happen to you as well, keep that in mind) Dvix, Xvid, MKV and Avi have been tested on this unit 720p to 1080p with no problem (but under 1.5gb in size... have not tested Videos bigger than that).

So at the end of the day I do feel that this unit is a good gaming machine and is worth the money.

Some other compatibility list to look at.

Reicast compatibility list:
http://pandorawiki.org/Reicast_Compatibility_List

PPSSPP compatibility list:
http://pandorawiki.org/PPSSPP_Compatibility_List
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=1473

Mupen64Plus Compatibility List
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/54360-mupen64plus-compatibility-list/

ePSXe v.1.7.0 compatibility list
http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?73805-New-ePSXe-v-1-7-0-compatibility-list-thread

Noid 2.6 Compatibility List
http://androidemulators.forumotion.com/t3-compatibility-list-in-alphetbetical-order-sticky

HD graphics

Hi-res textures for N640id

http://www.emutalk.net/forums/134-Completed-Projects
http://textures.emulation64.com/index.php?id=downloads

This list i have tested for a little bit of time and they are so far working.

-Banjo-Kazooie (huge downloaddownload, but totally worth it... do not forget to have it at 5 frames per second skip max)
-Castlevania LOD  (a large downloaddownload, was expecting more, but still good)
-Duke Nukem
-Mario kart (more than one choice of textures)
-Road Rash
-ShadowMan (keep in mind that it runs perfect and looks better on the DreamCast emulator)
-Sin and Punishment (this texture update also translate to English)
-Starfox
-Super Mario (more than one choice of textures)
-Super Smash Bros (3 to 5 frames per second skip max)
-Zelda OOT and MM (more than one choice of textures)

-Paper Mario (Glitch after you meet with the princess, not very playable after that)

These i have not tested, but will soon.
-Big Mountain 2000
-Doom 64
-F-Zero X
-Wave race

OpenGl extensions for Sony Playstation 1:

http://epsxe.com/android/video.html
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1434712

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:21:01 am by gvilhena »

warptechno

Re: What will or will not work on a 7800b JXD
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 04:33:42 pm »
Nice guide - thanks for this. :)
7800b
s5110

darklight1138

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »

PPSSPP v9.8-238
remember not every game is going to work, more like 1  out of 5 will be playable. games that i am playing are:
Gladiator, Manhunt 2, Miami Vice, Narato Ultimate ninja Heroes, NHL 07, Shinobido: tales of a ninja, SoulCalibur: Broken destiny, Star Treck: Tactical Assault, Steambot Cronicles, Valkyria cronicals 2, and Way of the samurai

Also, Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, Persona 3 Portable, Castlevania Chronicles, Darius Burst and Final Fantasy Crisis Core run well.

N64 (I use the old and dead N64oid 2.7)
I have downloaded and used all of the available High resolution texture pack (not that many maybe 8 to 10 exist) and all of them work and it really helps make these classic games look even better. 8 out out of 10 games will work perfectly.

Could you point me in the direction of these high resolution texture packs? I haven't been able to find any good ones or ones that seem to work.

Thanks for pointing out Walking Dead. I had no idea it was available on Android.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

WebClaw

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:00:15 am »
+1 thanks for this. Good information.

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 11:41:34 pm »
http://www.emutalk.net/forums/134-Completed-Projects

best site that i have found for N64 high resolution texture packs. When you extract them keep them in the original named folder (for example my star fox was STARFOX64... some times it is found two folders in, but it always has the name in it) N64oid 2.7 kept the location in sdcard\.n64oid\hires_texture

The legend of Zelda looks amazing and my favorite Super Mario is http://www.emutalk.net/threads/41509-Nintemod-Super-Mario-64-Retextured

keep in mind that the ShadowMan n64 texture update is cool and all but it is just better to play it on the DreamCast emulator.

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 12:05:38 am »
I almost forgot, if you are going to go with the Walking Dead first season episode and you want to use the developers demo Gl tools then here is the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2615514

use the 1.07 to get the downloaded drive, the other two are to old and will not work  (when you install it you will see two options, the bottom one is the one you want)

when you do install this make sure you have everything backed up. After install it will re-start, once everything is on re-start it again (the first time you will not have wifi working, but with the second boot you will). with this demo Gl tools once you open it you  have to type in the number that it asks, for it to work (it will do this all the time... if you  buy the full version this option disappears and you also upgrade to 1.09) the rest is self explanatory.

keep in mind you will notice a few games that worked great now run slower, but in the defense of the gl tools you do get a lot of cool options to play around with for each app.

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:31:13 am »
The walking dead : Season one has made it to the google play store... i am starting to download this as i type. would it not be funny if this can only work through the Gl tools (Amazon store) and not the playstore mali version, on this tablet.

Ghostwalk

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »
Regarding N64 emulation, has any of you been able to successfully use the Mupen64Plus with your S7800B? Mine, a T-unit with latest WebClaw's ROM, just crashes after loading a game with RetroArch's core (like here), whereas the standalone AE app works but quite poorly with several graphical glitches and speed issues in some of the games I tried (Conker's Bad Fur Day, Zelda Ocarine of Time, F-Zero). Not sure whether there is any solution to them or should I just stick with N64oid.

Rock27

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:56 pm »
Do you think that texture packs will work with Mupen 64+?? iam not a expert in the emulator things, i do my best

Right now iam playing Ocarina of Time, only with Open GL plug in, i didnt know of the texture packs existences, do you have the link??

Thanks you ^^

Volcano

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:45 pm »
The walking dead : Season one has made it to the google play store... i am starting to download this as i type. would it not be funny if this can only work through the Gl tools (Amazon store) and not the playstore mali version, on this tablet.

Awww yisss i just downloaded it and plays perfectly on the s7800b, you can choose touch or gamepad and it works great! Episode 1 is free
S7800B. Webclaw

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:35 am »
It is how android games should be made. a free level to demo the game and see how it works on your device, then if everything is good then you can buy it knowing it will work. no one complaining that it wont start or the game is just crap (maybe the last would still happen, but he or she would not buy the game... you hope :o)

defiantly will be getting the full version of the game. Walking Dead Season

I will be honest i have never used any other emulator for N64 other than N64oid 2.7 but all should be about the same (or close to it) you need to go into the setting to turn on hi-res textures. hopefully it should also tell you where to put it. then you have to just try it.

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 01:22:39 am »
about why i use this old N64 emulator (no update for well over a year... for android and mobile technology that is a long time) i use it because it works, and it works well. the 7800b can play full speed, even with hi-res textures.

here is a full list of games that work with this emulator (i tested each one for a few minutes to see how it plays).

007 - The World is Not Enough (E) (M3) [!].v64
AeroGauge (U) [!].v64
Aidyn Chronicles - The First Mage (E) [!].v64
Airboarder 64 (E) [!].v64
Armorines - Project S.W.A.R.M. (E) [!].v64
Army Men - Air Combat (U) [!].v64
Army Men - Sarge's Heroes (E) (M3) [!].v64
Army Men - Sarge's Heroes 2 (U) [!].v64
Banjo-Kazooie (E) (M3) [!].v64
Batman of the Future - Return of the Joker (E) (M3) [!].v64
Big Mountain 2000 (U) [!].v64
Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. (U) [!].v64
Body Harvest (U) [!].v64
Bomberman 64 - The Second Attack! (U) [!].v64
Bomberman Hero (E) [!].v64
Bug's Life, A (E) [!].v64
Castlevania - Legacy of Darkness (E) (M3) [!].v64
Castlevania (U) (V1.2) [!].v64
Centre Court Tennis (E) [!].v64
Clay Fighter - Sculptor's Cut (U) (!).v64
Deadly Arts (U) [!].v64
Disney's Tarzan (U) [!].v64        (no sound)
Dr. Mario 64 (U) [!].v64
Dual Heroes (E) [!].v64
Duck Dodgers Starring Daffy Duck (U) [!].v64
Duke Nukem - ZER0 H0UR (E) [!].v64
Duke Nukem 64 (E) [!].v64
ECW Hardcore Revolution (E) [!].v64
Eeathworm_Jim_3D_64(E).v64
Extreme-G (E) [!].v64
F-1 World Grand Prix II (E) (M4) [!].v64
F-Zero X.z64
Fighter Destiny 2 (U) [!].v64
Fighting Force 64 (U) [!].v64
Flying Dragon (E) [!].v64
Forsaken 64 (E) [!].v64
F-ZERO X (E) [!].v64
Gex 64 1.v64
Gex 64 2.v64
GoldenEye 007 (E) [!].v64
Harvest Moon 64 (U) [!].v64
Holy Magic Century (E) [!].v64
Hybrid Heaven (E) (M3) [!].v64
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000 (E) [!].v64
John Romero's Daikatana (E) (M3) [!].v64
Killer Instinct Gold (E) [!].v64
Kirby 64 - The Crystal Shards (U) [!].v64
Legend of Zelda 1.v64
Legend of Zelda 2.v64
LEGO Racers (E) [!].v64
Mace - The Dark Age (U) [!].v64
Mario Kart 64 (U) [!].v64
Mario Tennis (E) [!].v64
Mega Man 64 (U) [!].v64
Mischief Makers (E) [!].v64
Mission Impossible (E) [!].v64
Monopoly (U) [!].v64
Monster Truck Madness 64 (E) (M5) [!].v64
Mortal Kombat 4 (U) (!).v64
Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness (U) [!].v64
Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon (E) (M3) [!].v64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (E) [!].v64
Off Road Challenge (E) [!].v64
Ogre Battle 64 - Person of Lordly Caliber (U) [!].v64
Operation WinBack (E) (M5) [!].v64
Paper Mario (U) [!].v64   (works until you meet with the princess)
Paperboy (E) [!].v64
Perfect Dark (U) (V1.1) [!].v64
Pilotwings 64 (U) [!].v64
Pokemon Snap.v64
Pokemon Stadium 2 (U) [!].v64
Rampage 2 - Universal Tour (U) (!).v64
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - Round 2 (U) [!].v64
Road Rash 64 (E) [!].v64
Robotron 64 (E) [!].v64
RR64 - Ridge Racer 64 (E) [!].v64
S.C.A.R.S. (U) [!].v64
Scooby-Doo! - Classic Creep Capers (E) [!].v64
Shadow Man (E) [!].v64
Sin and Punishment.N64
Snowboard Kids 2 (E) [!].v64
Spider-Man (U) [!].v64
Star Fox 64 (U) (V1.0) [!].v64
Star Soldier - Vanishing Earth (U) [!].v64
Star Wars - Episode 1 - Racer (U) (!).v64
StarCraft 64 (E) [!].v64
Super Smash Bros. (U) [!].v64
Super_Mario_64_(U)_[!].v64
Tom and Jerry in Fists of Furry (U) [!].v64
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (U).v64
Toy Story 2 (U) [!].v64
Turok 2 - Seeds of Evil (E) [!].v64
Turok 3 - Shadow of Oblivion (E) [!].v64
Wipeout 64 (E) [!].v64
Xena Warrior Princess - The Talisman of Fate (E) [!].v64
Yoshi's Story (E) [!].v64

I tested this a few weeks ago and i can nor remember what games did not work (sorry about that). Keep in mind problems (glitches) could happen latter in the game.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:36:06 pm by gvilhena »

darklight1138

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 01:48:39 am »
I've been using Mupen64 and haven't had good luck with it. Some things run but others don't run well or require specific settings. Plus I hate the N64 controller as games do different things with the buttons as some of them will use that C-button for action while other games will use it for view, so you sometimes have to remap if you want to control it well, if that makes sense.

I'll get 64oid and give it a try.

I had Walking Dead on my Xbox 360 but I got a corrupted save bug and it took me from almost the end of ep 4 i think right back to the beginning
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 01:12:56 pm »
I hate when games crash like that (especially when you are into them and you want to know what happens next).

about the n64 emulators i found the same thing that you are seeing, emulators that are newer run worse than this old emulator (or you always have to adjust settings to make things work) this N64oid is not perfect but it does seem to work well (have it on a dual core cpu 4 core mali,two 4 core tregra 3 and this quade core unit, all very good game play)

for the button lay out:
-main shoulder buttons as the a/b
-a/b/d/c as the the c-buttons
-left minor shoulder button as z
-right shoulder button as right-shoulder
-start as start
----- i then hide all of the touch shreen buttons except for d-pad and l/r/z buttons
------i set up the touch screen from anolog to d-pad

now you have the ability to use all of the buttons on every game (a mix of touch and controller).

gvilhena (OP)

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 01:21:14 pm »
i keep on forgetting to add things... if you look at my game list of n64 games you will notice  (E) (M5) [!] (U) .v64. when you get a game you can get different formats (i use the .v64) (E)= English, (U)= Europe, (M)= modified and i can not remember what that is (!). getting anything different could give you a different result (better or worse) just keep that in mind.

kristianity77

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 01:51:28 pm »
i keep on forgetting to add things... if you look at my game list of n64 games you will notice  (E) (M5) [!] (U) .v64. when you get a game you can get different formats (i use the .v64) (E)= English, (U)= Europe, (M)= modified and i can not remember what that is (!). getting anything different could give you a different result (better or worse) just keep that in mind.

Can you get the New Tetris to run propoerly on it?  I've never managed to get that rom working no matter what emu I've tried.  But im beginning to think it might be me if you can get all the games in the above list working as I gave up on N64 emualtion in the end because most things I tried were very glitchy.

EDIT:

Woah!  I've just downloaded N64oid and Mario 64 on my lunch break and given it a whirl and you are right, its a lot better than the supposed "later" emulators.  Controls work perfectly and the framerate is much better than than the other emus.  Now to give a few more games a go and see what they are like!

EDIT 2:

Ok so tried Paper Mario and New Tetris.  Both are beyond glitchy.  Paper Mario is fine for the first 5 minutes but then you get the known issues of blacked out sprites and backgrounds that plague the other emus.  New Tetris the same, lines across the screen etc.  I think that whilst working games do run smoother than the later emus, the compatibility is way down with N64oid.  Ocarina of time is OK at the start as well, but the Equipment subscreen is a graphical mess so you cannot tell what you are doing.  N64oid, Mario 64 aside, really isn't that good.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:03:16 pm by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Ghostwalk

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 04:28:41 pm »
about why i use this old N64 emulator (no update for well over a year... for android and mobile technology that is a long time) i use it because it works, and it works well. the 7800b can play full speed, even with hi-res textures.

It is actualy completely fine for me to use N64oid as like you, it seems to work better than any other with the S7800B. I have no problems with that as long as it is the best alternative available.

However, call me curious if you like, bit I think that doesn't actually address the issue here about why Mupen64 doesn't work in our device, which I believe it's a legit question to ask since AFAIK it is considered the best N64 emulator out there. I have a few hipothesis:

a) The S7800 is not powerfull enough to run it properly.
b) There are some issues that could be fixed by the emulator developers.
c) Very unlikely, but maybe it's JXD's fault and only their skilled group of programmers or someone with the source code for the device (!!!) would be able to make it work somehow.

Probably it is more than only one reason, but at least the lack of successful stories with the emulator and the S7800, makes me feel there is something wrong with the device itself an not only with my unit (un)fortunately.

kristianity77

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 05:07:00 pm »

It is actualy completely fine for me to use N64oid as like you, it seems to work better than any other with the S7800B. I have no problems with that as long as it is the best alternative available.

However, call me curious if you like, bit I think that doesn't actually address the issue here about why Mupen64 doesn't work in our device, which I believe it's a legit question to ask since AFAIK it is considered the best N64 emulator out there. I have a few hipothesis:

a) The S7800 is not powerfull enough to run it properly.
b) There are some issues that could be fixed by the emulator developers.
c) Very unlikely, but maybe it's JXD's fault and only their skilled group of programmers or someone with the source code for the device (!!!) would be able to make it work somehow.

Probably it is more than only one reason, but at least the lack of successful stories with the emulator and the S7800, makes me feel there is something wrong with the device itself an not only with my unit (un)fortunately.

Mupen64 does work on the S7800 last time I checked? If you mean it doesn't show up as compatible on the Google Play store then that does happen on some firmwares I believe but there are ways to combat that.  Mupen 64 is a lot more compatible than n64oid, it just doesn't quite run as smooth as I believe it probably requires a bit more power compared to N64oid.  Running the S7800 at 1.6ghz though does sort most issues out.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Ghostwalk

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »
I meant performance-wise. In RetroArch it directly crashes after loading a game whereas in another device with the same SoC like the G7 just works fine as far as I have read. The bug report at RetroArch tracker points to maybe problematic GL drivers which might not affect other devices?

The AE version were showing missing polygons, textures and flickering which were far from an "accurate emulation" whether it were slower or faster and I though it could be caused for the same reason as above. However silly me :-[ I have just seen that by default Mupen64Plus AE has 3 video options enabled that might "cause glitches". After disabling both three now it seems to be working fine. Bugs from graphics of Ocarine of Time at the beginning are gone for good aparently. It runs at 20 FPS though.

EDIT: To my untrained eye, the 20 FPS reported by Mupen64Plus seems to be quicker than what you'd expect, uhm.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:26:42 pm by Ghostwalk »

Ghostwalk

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
duplicated

Post a new topic