Author Topic: Set up and play roms on a JXDs7800b without touch screen!  (Read 6519 times)

2DTRON (OP)

Set up and play roms on a JXDs7800b without touch screen!
« on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:35 pm »
Ok here is a question:
Is there a way to use the device without the need of touch screen?
I only want to have some emulators and roms on to play retro games.
The unit has had a factory restore so no previous apps are on the unit.
Maybe installing tans supercharged will help?

Some of you will be familiar with my predicament and there is a chance I will be left with a faulty unit. In the event of such is there a way to still use the device for my needs? Other uses crossed my mind ?85 paper weight and door stop. Laugh or cry comes to mind! Lol

Any suggestion are much appreciated.
Shoot the core!

hippy dave

Re: Set up and play roms on a JXDs7800b without touch screen!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:16:27 pm »
If your touchscreen doesn't work, I can think of two other ways of installing apps (e.g. emulators) - from the Play Store on your computer, telling it to install to the jxd; or if it's not on the Play Store, getting the app on your computer and installing it using adb. The first option is easy, the second needs a bit more software and knowledge, but someone could guide you through it if you don't already know adb.

Once the emulators are installed, and roms are copied into the right place, you've still got the problem of launching the apps - there may be launchers that can be controlled with just buttons, I haven't looked - and the same with navigating and configuring the emulators. Hope you can find a solution.

omgmog

• * Administrator
  • Doesn't sleep.
    • omgmog.net
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
If the problem is that you touch screen isn't working, you can connect a regular USB mouse using an OTG cable.

See here: http://www.xda-developers.com/android/use-your-keyboard-and-mouse-on-android-with-usb-on-the-go-xda-developer-tv/

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:46:09 pm »
Awesome guys thank you.

Maybe this device will avoid being an expensive paper weight after all  ;D
Shoot the core!

lemmywinks

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »
I think Retroarch is set up to enable complete Dpad control, seem to remember squarepusher saying something along those lines in an old thread.

Did Dinodirect sort anything out?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:26:22 pm »
I will look into retroarch. Cheers. Could solve my issue of navigation through the roms.

No reply from dino as yet. Think the rep is seeing what he can do. I'm not holding my breath.

As it stands at the moment they are using the orher thread against me as a reason to close my case. Saying I have opened and rooted the device which has caused the issue with the touch screen and JXD know about it and won't exchange the device.

::)

Edit: just seen your avatar- love totoro! My daughter who is two can't get enough. Her middle name is May :D
Have you seen ponyo?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:30:14 pm by 2DTRON »
Shoot the core!

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »
as was mentioned usb mouse or use the analog/dpad to get around.

neither is a great option but both should get you where you're going.

See if dino can get you a replacement touch screen.. based on the other thread they're not gonna replace the unit but maybe you can get at least the part to do it your self.

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »
Yeah I will see if dino will help with a new screen. I would be happy with that.

Dpad will be fine for me and what I want to use it for. Mouse will be handy for the enitial set up I think.

As it is at the moment because I reset to factory settings there is a welcome screen that I can't navigate past/close. Anyone know if I install tans firmware will this get rid of 'now let's get started' screen? (this might not make sense, I can upas a picture to explain better)

Cheers for all your help guys :)
Shoot the core!

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:19 pm »
IIRC tan's does not greet you the first time so that I suppose is a solution.

but you should be able to get past that with a usb mouse.

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:48:25 pm »
Ah ok great.

I will run with stock for now.

Need to get an OTG cable
Shoot the core!

lemmywinks

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:06 pm »
Edit: just seen your avatar- love totoro! My daughter who is two can't get enough. Her middle name is May :D
Have you seen ponyo?

Yeah I have Ponyo and just about every Ghibli film on a bootleg compilation from Singapore but I'm slowly collecting them as seperate DVDs, got most of the popular ones now and some of the older stuff. Introduced my 3 year old daughter to them early on and they're her favourite films, recently we've had The Cat Returns on every day (and most of the time Kiki's Delivery Service after it) so it's kinda getting on my nerves a bit, still an ace film though! She has them all ripped in her little JXD tablet which keeps her occupied on long journeys, must admit it's pretty scary watching a 3 year old navigate Android and put her own films on, amazing what they can do with some cartoon pandas as motivation!

Just gotta remember to keep her away from Grave of Fireflies though.....
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:55 pm »
Ah ok great.

Need to get an OTG cable

? did'nt you get one with your unit? should have one.

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:57 am »
Have you seen ponyo?

Yeah I have Ponyo and just about every Ghibli film on a bootleg compilation from Singapore but I'm slowly collecting them as seperate DVDs, got most of the popular ones now and some of the older stuff. Introduced my 3 year old daughter to them early on and they're her favourite films, recently we've had The Cat Returns on every day (and most of the time Kiki's Delivery Service after it) so it's kinda getting on my nerves a bit, still an ace film though! She has them all ripped in her little JXD tablet which keeps her occupied on long journeys, must admit it's pretty scary watching a 3 year old navigate Android and put her own films on, amazing what they can do with some cartoon pandas as motivation!

Just gotta remember to keep her away from Grave of Fireflies though.....

Haha!

Not seen the Cat Returns or Kiki's deliver service. Will see about getting them. I could do with some variation to what movies are on at ours too. If its not Ponyo or Totoro it's the snowman on repeat... And I just can't take anymore Christmas!
Spirited away was recommended from my wifes friend, I just did a quick google search and watched a trailer.... Lol not suitable for a two year old!
It is scary how quick little ones can pick up a pad/tablet and navigate. I do love it when she activates camera and leaves little video snippets of a minute in the life of a two year old. :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:14:49 am by 2DTRON »
Shoot the core!

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 08:50:00 am »
Ah ok great.

Need to get an OTG cable

? did'nt you get one with your unit? should have one.

So I did! Haha
Cheers man saved me a journey and some ?? :D
Shoot the core!

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:55 am »
Whoooooooo! I'm up and running with OTG  ;D

Good effort peeps!

Just downloaded a few emulators off of the play store.

Found a link for gamex which I will download when I get back.

I can't see happy chick on the play store? Any links? The one I'm looking for is the stock app.

As I reset to factory settings I lost all the pre installed apps, any recommendations? I can't remember them all.

Shoot the core!

lemmywinks

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:24 am »
Just a thought, maybe you could ask Tincore if he's planning on adding mouse emulation for one of the sticks?
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33:41 pm »
The .emu emulators are good, snes9x

Problem is no net play, oddly precious few emu's on android have net play, most of the few that do aren't free.
Sucks I just finished pokemon crystal.. No way to battle any one but the com.

The *oid emu's are free and have net play, they also seem to require less CPU.. However they are highly inaccurate and genoid in particular likes to crash a lot... Nesoid ain't bad though.

I've not tried net play on them but I'm going to later today, I've heard the net play is very buggy.

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
Just a thought, maybe you could ask Tincore if he's planning on adding mouse emulation for one of the sticks?

Good shout! Will drop him a pm. Think a few people would like this.
Shoot the core!

2DTRON (OP)

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »
The .emu emulators are good, snes9x

Problem is no net play, oddly precious few emu's on android have net play, most of the few that do aren't free.
Sucks I just finished pokemon crystal.. No way to battle any one but the com.

The *oid emu's are free and have net play, they also seem to require less CPU.. However they are highly inaccurate and genoid in particular likes to crash a lot... Nesoid ain't bad though.

I've not tried net play on them but I'm going to later today, I've heard the net play is very buggy.

Cheers.
Shame about net play for Pokemon. I had the origional for gb colour bitd. Followed a walk through guide to collect everything, then one day selected new game on the start up screen, which wipes the old game without warning.... Was like nooooooooo followed by profanity after profanity! Followed by one manly tear! Lol. Not went near Pokemon since.
 ;D
Shoot the core!

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »
Whoooooooo! I'm up and running with OTG  ;D

Good effort peeps!

Just downloaded a few emulators off of the play store.

Found a link for gamex which I will download when I get back.

I can't see happy chick on the play store? Any links? The one I'm looking for is the stock app.

As I reset to factory settings I lost all the pre installed apps, any recommendations? I can't remember them all.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/game-center-app-for-jxd-s7800b-lost-please-help!!!/

Post a new topic