Author Topic: S7800b Source?  (Read 9727 times)

Dobsa (OP)

S7800b Source?
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »
Hey Folks
I've had my 7800 for 2 months now, and the joy has wore off !
I didn't research much, before buying, saw the photos with 7 " screen, 2 joysticks, WOW, I want it !.
I ASSUMED  before buying that i would be able install Linux on SD and Boot, Nooooo
Don't get me wrong it is a decent gamepad/tab, the right stick working would be better !
I've done all i can to make it better, (installed TANs Supercharged etc.)
It needs JXD to release the source, the modders would go into overdrive !
and make this device what it actually should be, and more.
The 7800 can be a great gamepad, if JXD would let it happen.
There should a concerted effort, petition ?, with all supporters putting
there name to it, to persuade JXD to do the right thing
If people get behind this it can happen.

Arthur x

acid

Re: S7800b Source?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »
Hey Folks
I've had my 7800 for 2 months now, and the joy has wore off !
I didn't research much, before buying, saw the photos with 7 " screen, 2 joysticks, WOW, I want it !.
I ASSUMED  before buying that i would be able install Linux on SD and Boot, Nooooo
Don't get me wrong it is a decent gamepad/tab, the right stick working would be better !
I've done all i can to make it better, (installed TANs Supercharged etc.)
It needs JXD to release the source, the modders would go into overdrive !
and make this device what it actually should be, and more.
The 7800 can be a great gamepad, if JXD would let it happen.
There should a concerted effort, petition ?, with all supporters putting
there name to it, to persuade JXD to do the right thing
If people get behind this it can happen.

Arthur x

It's very unlikely that jxd will ever release it. Skelton and several other people have tried repeatedly. And it's also highly unlikely that they'll release any other firmware updates too. So yeah, we all learned something from buying a 7800 I guess.

Dobsa (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
Hey Acid :)
So u think JXD are done with the 7800 ?,
it's just move on to the next device ?, how can they
just leave something not "completed"
If there done with it, they should release the code
to the community, why keep it back?,
I have no idea about manufacturers mind machinations !
Why do they do what they do ....
But would thousands on a petition help getting the innards
of the 7800 released ?

skelton

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 08:48:43 pm »
They won't release source, specially because they don't do or compile any source. They hire a external company which doesn't work with JXD anymore. So most probably no more updates for 7800, 7300, or 5110B, unless they hire another company and change their mind, which I doubt.
Most probably they will just move on to future devices.

To say the truth, jxd said from the very beginning that they were not releasing anything for 7800, so it's not really a surprise. Expecting kernel source code from a chinese company is having big expectations, because only a few of them release anything at all. Even "european" companies like Archos don't release anything buildable. There is no code for Archos gamepad 2 as far as I know either, so unfortunately is a common practice.
Retired

Bargaintuan

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:27:40 am »
Yeah, but most companies support their products for more than three months. They should either release source or get things fixed themselves.

Hell, the problems in the firmware could probably be fixed by one person in his spare time, and the good reputation JXD would gain would be worth the expense.

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 04:58:32 am »
do you guys think that the problems with the 7800 will carry over to the 5800...?

skelton

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:44:33 am »
do you guys think that the problems with the 7800 will carry over to the 5800...?

The 5800 has its own issues, like a terrible d-oad.
Retired

lemmywinks

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:12:29 am »

Just out of interest, why would you assume that?

I think it's best to enjoy these devices for what they can do rather than expecting something mind-blowing. It's a decent gaming tab which is pretty powerful and has good controls, go play some Dreamcast or N.O.V.A. on it or something.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

mkvsbs

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:34:20 am »

I think it's best to enjoy these devices for what they can do rather than expecting something mind-blowing. It's a decent gaming tab which is pretty powerful and has good controls, go play some Dreamcast or N.O.V.A. on it or something.

@Lemmywinks: you are right. That assumption was pushed a little too far.
My assumptions, yet, were absolutely correct: I assumed that the devices sold were working (many are not: touchscreen not working, dpad not solderd, wifi antenna desoldered, flatcables broken or misplaced), I assumed that the JXD Company was going to support the console fixing the bugs in the firmware (they are not, kernel is full of errors and warnings due to joystick -11 var read, i2c bus errors, coreographer errors and so on).
Yeah.. if you are the lucky one with a working unit you can surely enjoy it. But if you aren't.. you have to turn towards another brand: more hope to have something fixed.

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:49 am »
JXD have never really been ones to support a product all that long but in all fairness they are no different to almost all of the cheap Chinatab/console makers, the S7300b was the exception but only because they released sources and people here were able to build proper firmwares for them. In fact the (surprisingly good) official firmwares for that console were down to the work of dedicated individuals here.

RE the whole defect rate thing and whether forums offer an accurate view of things, that's been done to death here already so there's no point going over old ground. If you want customer support then avoid companies with a track record of ignoring customers' problems and refusing to back up their promises like Willgoo and Dinodirect.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »

How so?  It seems perfect, like a nintendo style.  Much better than the 'open in the middle" sony style.

skelton

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:53 pm »

How so?  It seems perfect, like a nintendo style.  Much better than the 'open in the middle" sony style.

Seems not to be well mounted in the case and "moves" a little bit. Also, when you press up or down most of the times it registers a diagonal movement. So, it's a not a good pad indeed.
Retired

Atlantis_Risen

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:43:18 pm »

Seems not to be well mounted in the case and "moves" a little bit. Also, when you press up or down most of the times it registers a diagonal movement. So, it's a not a good pad indeed.

That's not good.  I had high hopes for this device.

Dobsa (OP)

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »

I have an Olimex A13 board with 7" touchscreen (obviously Bulgarian manf. not Chinese), which is open, you can install any flavour of Linux.
I thought Chinese manufacturers would be more open and let people mod their devices, as opposed to Apple etc., with their closed mind, lockdown mentality.

Are there any recent Gamepads which can run Linux, be modded etc. ?

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 03:11:54 pm »
JXD have never really been ones to support a product all that long but in all fairness they are no different to almost all of the cheap Chinatab/console makers,
Just my opinion but 150-200 dollars is not "cheap" I know this is a relative term but for me I can't piss away 150 bucks and say.. oh well haha it's cheap.
I can do a lot with that money, you could say "cheaper" then say a shield.. but then it's not comparable that in spec to start with.

At what point does the price tag justify JXD's misconduct?

If you want customer support then avoid companies with a track record of ignoring customers' problems and refusing to back up their promises like Willgoo and Dinodirect.
add foxoffer to that, not only did it take me sending a email to check on the last email I sent to get a response, at this point they will not even return emails at all.. It's been a few days shy of a month and i've sent 4 emails since and they no longer respond to me.

I personally will never order again from FO, I've seen enough problems out of willgoo with the 78 to write them off as well.

Dino seems to be the best here but that's nto really saying much since I've seen at least 2 time where the person has paid for the 99cent return shipping insurrance and Dino tries to screw them.

Unfortunately not many B&M stores want to carry these devices if for no other reason then then pirated app's that come on them.

But then again I don't think im interested in another JXD, I only hope by the time im looking for another device the US market has picked up proper, If the shield had a 7inch screen and a different formfactor I would have probably bought one of those instead, I seen some on BF for 200 or 250.. which at the time was not much more then the 7800's was selling for.

lemmywinks

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 03:12:14 pm »
Nah, Chinatabs are usually pretty closed. They don't mind putting pirated software on their products but are pretty conservative when it comes to their own software.

The way the usually work is to bring a console out, support it for a short while and then move onto the next one. There is usually very little support and the custom roms you see are often just people trying to do their best with the stock one rather than building something from the ground up.

Not ideal but still workable. I think companies like GPD and Iben are showing some promise, they seem willing to work with community developers (particularly Iben) and their products seem to have better build quality.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »
The Iben looked good but I dismissed it cause it only had 1 set of shoulder buttons and PS1 is important to me.

kristianity77

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:22 pm »
To be honest I've had the 7800 for a few weeks now and I like the look of the GPD G7.  Hardware wise it looks similar in specs to the 7800 but should run a tad faster in games due to the slighly lower res of the screen.  Also doesn't appear to have the nagging issues of the 7800.  Am thinking about the switch but its the lack of the IPS screen which is stopping me.  The S7800 has issues but the screen is probably the best so far on an android gaming device.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

lemmywinks

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »
Just my opinion but 150-200 dollars is not "cheap" I know this is a relative term but for me I can't piss away 150 bucks and say.. oh well haha it's cheap.
I can do a lot with that money, you could say "cheaper" then say a shield.. but then it's not comparable that in spec to start with.

At what point does the price tag justify JXD's misconduct?

It's all relative I suppose, what does the cheapest quad core tablet cost? I don't have money to burn but I still buy these things and I have been happy with the three JXDs I've had, for what they cost they have been good value IMO. That's not to say I think they are good quality because I don't, I just think they are comparable to similarly priced products. If you are unlucky and get a defective unit then it's up to you to get it fixed as there is no support from JXD or resellers, just the nature of the beast I'm afraid and until something better comes along we're stuck with it.

add foxoffer to that, not only did it take me sending a email to check on the last email I sent to get a response, at this point they will not even return emails at all.. It's been a few days shy of a month and i've sent 4 emails since and they no longer respond to me.

I personally will never order again from FO, I've seen enough problems out of willgoo with the 78 to write them off as well.

Dino seems to be the best here but that's nto really saying much since I've seen at least 2 time where the person has paid for the 99cent return shipping insurrance and Dino tries to screw them.

Unfortunately not many B&M stores want to carry these devices if for no other reason then then pirated app's that come on them.
But then again I don't think im interested in another JXD, I only hope by the time im looking for another device the US market has picked up proper, If the shield had a 7inch screen and a different formfactor I would have probably bought one of those instead, I seen some on BF for 200 or 250.. which at the time was not much more then the 7800's was selling for.

I have just bought from Geekbuying who offer shipping insurance (if it goes missing they send another) for $2 and also pay for the return shipping if it is DOA. Whether they actually do or not who knows but they have posted on this forum giving details of their return policy and it looks much better than the usual suspects.

Also you may want to check out the 7" GPD G7. It's big and ugly (although better proportioned than the 5" one I ordered) but people seem to be liking the G5A a lot and Geekbuying are doing 10% off until the end of the month:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-G7-RK3188-1-6GHz-7-inch-GamePad-Android-4-2-Quad-Core-Capacitive-Touch-Screen-1024-600-1GB-8GB-Tablet-PC-324409.html
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

lemmywinks

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »
To be honest I've had the 7800 for a few weeks now and I like the look of the GPD G7.  Hardware wise it looks similar in specs to the 7800 but should run a tad faster in games due to the slighly lower res of the screen.  Also doesn't appear to have the nagging issues of the 7800.  Am thinking about the switch but its the lack of the IPS screen which is stopping me.  The S7800 has issues but the screen is probably the best so far on an android gaming device.

I like the look of GPD stuff quite a bit. They work with Skelton and Tincore etc so there will be community support plus the hardware seems to be better thought out and executed. The analog assembly is seperate and screw mounted for example, whereas other consoles are often just soldered on with no extra support. From early reviews there doesn't seem to be any of the common bugs and the controls are natively mappable in emulators apparently.

They seem to solve many of the issues which we have so far been putting up with and the prices are very good - ?70 for the 5" and ?90 for the 7" which I think is excellent value. I would prefer something sleeker but for everything else they look ideal.
Handhelds:
PC:
Psion 5 & 5MX

Post a new topic