Author Topic: Version 2: S7800B 1.6GHz - (Tweaked+vSync Fix+60Hz+Apex Launcher) ROMs  (Read 227820 times)

kristianity77

Hi

No improvement with the latest version.  Also on the latest one the screen tear is back when using HDMI
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Ok, let's turn this adventure back towards the original purpose of the firmware.
Does video playback drop frames when on HDMI (eg: if you play a movie back is it smooth)?

kristianity77

Ok, let's turn this adventure back towards the original purpose of the firmware.
Does video playback drop frames when on HDMI (eg: if you play a movie back is it smooth)?

No, the video problems as far as i noticed hadnt changed, they were still quite jumpy.  I tried a couple of 720p files with MX player over HDMI and got the same results. 
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

How about the video playback on the device itself (without HDMI)?

kristianity77

On the device itself without HDMI, perfectly fine as far as I can tell.  Again, I played a video whilst on the device and it only became jumpy the moment the HDMI was plugged in, same as everything else ???
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Sorry, I am confused - your saying your device with my 1.0X firmware played videos on the device without any frame loss? Further, your not noting any differences between the 1.0X and 2.0X firmware when playing videos on the device itself (without the use of HDMI)?

the_randomizer

On the device itself without HDMI, perfectly fine as far as I can tell.  Again, I played a video whilst on the device and it only became jumpy the moment the HDMI was plugged in, same as everything else ???

Have you tried posting that YouTube video showing what happens?  I think showing it here would help a lot  ;)

kristianity77

Sorry, I am confused - your saying your device with my 1.0X firmware played videos on the device without any frame loss? Further, your not noting any differences between the 1.0X and 2.0X firmware when playing videos on the device itself (without the use of HDMI)?

Sorry I wasnt clear.  On 1.02 which I was using before on the device videos played "more or less" fine to my eyes.  Not perfectly, but no where near as jumpy as it was via HDMI.  With the new firmwares ive tested today, video is the same on the device as it was on 1.02 (IE close to perfect but not quite) but still jumpy on HDMI.

Basically I've not noticed any difference on my device from 1.02 through to the 2.0 ive tested today
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

@kristianity77; my 1.0X firmware did not fix any vSync issues.
The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but bad new (for me). I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your feedback regarding 2.X - I'll keep that in mind. At present I think it best we get more beta testers involved.

the_randomizer

kristianity77; my 1.0X firmware did not fix any vSync issues.
The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but not so great for me.

Thanks for your feedback regarding 2.X - I'll keep that in mind. At present I think it best we get more beta testers involved.

Once I get this device (shouldn't be too far off), I can definitely help with that  ;)

kristianity77

The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but bad new (for me). I hope that makes sense!

I didnt say I didnt notice issues,all i said was is that the video played alot better on the device than it did over HDMI.  And all ive stated about 2.0 is that again, it plays better on the device than it does over HDMI.  To be honest when it comes to video playback I possibly dont notice the issues as much as I do with other areas.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but bad new (for me). I hope that makes sense.
Actually it,s hit and miss.
The 78's have problems with h263 also (divx/xvid) in 360/480p
Yet I have a 1080p copy of night of the living dead in h264 that runs just about perfect.
I don't think the issue is an under powered CPU, the hardware decoder should handle most of the heavy lifting on that anyway.

As for the DRM I seen a setting in dev options to disable HDCP iirc it made no difference on or off but I'll double check tomorrow.

Kris is credable , they was the first to notice the HDMI issue.

WebClaw (OP)

Alright then. Looks like revisit the RK616 chip. Sigh.
Would be nice to know what is causing this.

Joe Sixpack

Does WebClaw even pay attention to this thread anymore?  There's an unfortunate pattern of ROM devs abandoning threads lately.  First TanWorks, now WebClaw...  It's not so much a criticism as it is simply an unfortunate observation.

Yes, I'm still around. I'm currently working on this in my spare time.
Right now I'm working on a new patched kernel that is showing promise to resolve the video issues (frame drop). Once that's complete I'll see what comments there are and release an update to my ROM.

On another note, this thread is full of requests and only and handful of thanks / appreciation. Kinda kills my desire to release any new kernels when all people do is download / install and never comment / thank for developers hard work. As an example over 6000 people downloaded my firmware - that's a crapload of downloads.
well if i had,nt said it before, Thank You.
Ok brilliant.  :) does your device then when hooked up via HDMI not slow down at all? As in does it remain a constant 60fps exactly the same as it would be without the HDMI plugged in?

Yes, but I have a RK3188 unit - I would guess bet money you have a RK3188-T unit.

Edit:
My patches hate these T chips as the volt tables are completely different. The fact you stated the FPS increased suggests its a hardware issue.
ya Skelton had cautioned that in the past about the T units maybe interpret voltage values different.
How do you verify core voltage? Or is it a best guess?

BTW any problems with repacking the kernel on this?
Or are the video fixes beyond a kernel swap?

WebClaw (OP)

It was tricky but I got it done. The kernel did hate me for a bit.
The fixes are both in and outside the Kernel.

001 and 002 work flawlessly for me (not testing HDMI).

Joe Sixpack

Alright then. Looks like revisit the RK616 chip. Sigh.
Would be nice to know what is causing this.
I'll see if I can find the source of that notld copy I have, or maybe I can split it with out loosing the magic that makes it one of the few well playing videos.

And post it for testing, in case any was wondering notld is public domain, I just don't want to upload 1.8gb on my lousy 1mbps upstream connection
It was tricky but I got it done. The kernel did hate me for a bit.
The fixes are both in and outside the Kernel.

001 and 002 work flawlessly for me (not testing HDMI).
ah so I can't just swap the kernel then?
I've been running a repartitioned 1.1.4 stock with your old kernel, has worked pretty well, was hoping you got vsync/HDMI fixed it would be equally as simple to get the benefit on stock.

WebClaw (OP)

No, sorry it's not that simple. The fix involves both the kernel and system images.

WebClaw (OP)

On an HDMI related note, I've got one other idea I didn't think would work (but now seeing my device actually boots ) maybe it's worth a try.

I'll post another version here shortly (pending my device starts).

scrag85

Does this rom fix the root so the external sd card acts as the root and internal 8gb acts as extra space?

mitcher78

Thank you WebClaw for keep updating your custom rom. The VSync issue fix is very welcome!

Post a new topic