Poll

What matters most to you?

Better Google Store compatibility.
28 (18.8%)
Correct HDMI / vSync video out issues.
18 (12.1%)
More speed, more power!
64 (43%)
Swap 'SDCard' and 'USB Storage' functionality.
28 (18.8%)
Other (leave comment).
11 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Version 2: S7800B 1.6GHz - (Tweaked+vSync Fix+60Hz+Apex Launcher) ROMs  (Read 210175 times)

kristianity77

Ok brilliant.  :) does your device then when hooked up via HDMI not slow down at all? As in does it remain a constant 60fps exactly the same as it would be without the HDMI plugged in?

Try this (it also includes the Google Play Store compatibility improvement patch):

- Updated HDMI Driver
- Updated Video Driver
- Updated Video (Mirroring) Driver

http://www.cloudstor.es/file/m1_MTAxMDA/

Hi

Just tried the new one.  Same results.  Screen tear has now gone, but its still slow over HDMI no matter what the CPU is set to.  Getting the same framerates as  before, anywhere between 44 and 52fps so in any game it results in slowdown and choppy sound unfortunately. As soon as I pull the HDMI cable out though, games shoot straight back upto 60fps.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:30:20 am by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Alright, I've got one more trick up my sleeve... See the end of this post.

Between you and I these RK3188 chips were mainly designed to be powering video to HDMI (video as in video's, movies, tv shows, etc.). The hardware may not good be enough to get 50FPS.

Thanks for the test - I'll keep the updated drivers in the public release as it did some good (resolved the tearing issues).

I'm uploading a .002 version - hopefully that will do the trick or at least provide you a somewhat better performance gain.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:59:52 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77

The does seem somewhat odd though.  Take a gameboy emulator for instance.  On the tablet alone, this will run full speed at the 500mhz setting at 60fps.  If i connect the HDMI up whilst the tablet is still set to 500 mhz then it will drop to 45 fps on the tablet, and show 45 fps on the tv.  However, if then take the S7800 all the way up to 1.6ghz, i get absolutely zero improvement. 
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Using HDMI uses a few extra drivers and uses separate DRM routines in the kernel (which I don't have the source for). Which means all we can do is patch around the kernel.

As an example - finding the solution to the vSync bug took about 8 hours in a hex editor (and I knew what needed to be changed). Given I don't have the kernel source, don't know what needs to be changed, and without any support from JXD, tracking down the problem is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

You can try this (.002) - it's boasted the best performance during my testing.
http://www.cloudstor.es/file/m1_MTAxMDY/

I think it best for the WebClaw v2 ROM release to focus on vSync issues and leave HDMI to the guys who have the kernel source.

Face it, JXD should be asking us dev's to work for them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:45:24 am by WebClaw »

kristianity77

Ill give it a whirl!  :)
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

kristianity77

Hi

No improvement with the latest version.  Also on the latest one the screen tear is back when using HDMI
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Ok, let's turn this adventure back towards the original purpose of the firmware.
Does video playback drop frames when on HDMI (eg: if you play a movie back is it smooth)?

kristianity77

Ok, let's turn this adventure back towards the original purpose of the firmware.
Does video playback drop frames when on HDMI (eg: if you play a movie back is it smooth)?

No, the video problems as far as i noticed hadnt changed, they were still quite jumpy.  I tried a couple of 720p files with MX player over HDMI and got the same results. 
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

How about the video playback on the device itself (without HDMI)?

kristianity77

On the device itself without HDMI, perfectly fine as far as I can tell.  Again, I played a video whilst on the device and it only became jumpy the moment the HDMI was plugged in, same as everything else ???
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

Sorry, I am confused - your saying your device with my 1.0X firmware played videos on the device without any frame loss? Further, your not noting any differences between the 1.0X and 2.0X firmware when playing videos on the device itself (without the use of HDMI)?

the_randomizer

On the device itself without HDMI, perfectly fine as far as I can tell.  Again, I played a video whilst on the device and it only became jumpy the moment the HDMI was plugged in, same as everything else ???

Have you tried posting that YouTube video showing what happens?  I think showing it here would help a lot  ;)

kristianity77

Sorry, I am confused - your saying your device with my 1.0X firmware played videos on the device without any frame loss? Further, your not noting any differences between the 1.0X and 2.0X firmware when playing videos on the device itself (without the use of HDMI)?

Sorry I wasnt clear.  On 1.02 which I was using before on the device videos played "more or less" fine to my eyes.  Not perfectly, but no where near as jumpy as it was via HDMI.  With the new firmwares ive tested today, video is the same on the device as it was on 1.02 (IE close to perfect but not quite) but still jumpy on HDMI.

Basically I've not noticed any difference on my device from 1.02 through to the 2.0 ive tested today
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

WebClaw (OP)

@kristianity77; my 1.0X firmware did not fix any vSync issues.
The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but bad new (for me). I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for your feedback regarding 2.X - I'll keep that in mind. At present I think it best we get more beta testers involved.

the_randomizer

kristianity77; my 1.0X firmware did not fix any vSync issues.
The fact that you did not notice any issues with 1.0X firmware makes.. we'll your feedback less than creditable (as all S7800B units had choppy / frame drop issues on X264 video playback). The fact you didn't notice this is awesome (for you), but not so great for me.

Thanks for your feedback regarding 2.X - I'll keep that in mind. At present I think it best we get more beta testers involved.

Once I get this device (shouldn't be too far off), I can definitely help with that  ;)

Post a new topic