Author Topic: Physical comparison S5800 vs S7800.  (Read 6418 times)

Atlantis_Risen (OP)

Physical comparison S5800 vs S7800.
« on: July 27, 2013, 03:06:23 am »
I cut these two images from the JXD catalog and noticed something strange.  They seem to be the exact same device except for the speaker holes on the S7800.  One is supposed to have a 5" inch screen and the other a 7".  But if you look at the ratio between the d-pad and buttons, the outside edge of the device and the screen, they're the same.  Did JXD really create scaled down buttons that perfectly match the smaller screen?  If the S5800 is 2 inches smaller, then the d-pad should appear quite a bit larger in comparison in these images.

S5800:

S7800:

Dcpmark

• My handheld collection
Re: Physical comparison S5800 vs S7800.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 03:31:28 am »
Good catch. As another poster pointed out, this may be vaporware that won't ever be sold and we are just looking at a Photoshop image.
Devices: Nvidia Shield Portable, PS Vita, 3DS XL, PSP 2000 (hacked), DS Lite (hacked), Dingoo A320, GP2X, GP2X with NGage D-pad mod, GP32 BLU, Gizmondo, NGage, GBA Micro, GBA SP, GBA, Sega Game Gear, Atari Lynx, NEC TurboExpress, Sega Nomad

jimclarson

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 04:38:42 pm »
vaporware pisses me off, as in terms of actual hardware design it usualy tends to be pretty decent, like -[just imo]- the panasonic jungle. i wanted that thing to get hacked soooo bad.... but then it got canceled. oh well..

Atlantis_Risen (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:37:19 am »
It's kind of annoying, I really want a device with this design with a 5" screen.

Dexidus

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:41:37 am »
Those are just renders, not actual photos of devices. Jxd has a long history of matketing and promoting devices, and then cancelling/postponing the promoted device to 'focus their efforts' on yet another device - it's one of the reasons they have something like 30 devices under their name - all of them pretty shitty quality, because rather than fixing something, it's easier for them to make yet another device.

Honestly guys, don't get your hopes up about the s5800, chances are pretty high they won't exist, or they'll take the internals, put them in a new case in 7-8months and call it the 's5110c' or something.

In fact, i've had quite a few jxd's - i can say that A: i am never getting hopes up at all about a jxd device again, and B: the build quality, quality control, and overall delivery of a device that lasts longer than 2 months with average daily usage seems to be impossible for jxd.

I'm not hyping up the nvidia shield, infact i cancelled my preorder a while ago, but if you are considering an android device, i'd highly suggest the shield.

skelton

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »
Those are just renders, not actual photos of devices. Jxd has a long history of matketing and promoting devices, and then cancelling/postponing the promoted device to 'focus their efforts' on yet another device - it's one of the reasons they have something like 30 devices under their name - all of them pretty shitty quality, because rather than fixing something, it's easier for them to make yet another device.

Honestly guys, don't get your hopes up about the s5800, chances are pretty high they won't exist, or they'll take the internals, put them in a new case in 7-8months and call it the 's5110c' or something.

In fact, i've had quite a few jxd's - i can say that A: i am never getting hopes up at all about a jxd device again, and B: the build quality, quality control, and overall delivery of a device that lasts longer than 2 months with average daily usage seems to be impossible for jxd.

I'm not hyping up the nvidia shield, infact i cancelled my preorder a while ago, but if you are considering an android device, i'd highly suggest the shield.

+1 to that, but should be mentioned that not all people can afford a 300 bucks device, apart that it's rather compicated to buy one in europe for instance, unless some overpriced unit in ebay. In this sense, I am happy at th moment with s5110B and costed me 90 dollars.
Retired

Dexidus

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:17:57 pm »
Oh ya, forgot about the north america only launch :( that kinda sucks!

skelton

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 04:34:35 pm »
Oh ya, forgot about the north america only launch :( that kinda sucks!

I suppose they will end launching it in europe too. If they do, maybe I consider getting one if opinions are good.
Retired

Dcpmark

• My handheld collection
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:37:13 pm »

+1 to that, but should be mentioned that not all people can afford a 300 bucks device, apart that it's rather compicated to buy one in europe for instance, unless some overpriced unit in ebay. In this sense, I am happy at th moment with s5110B and costed me 90 dollars.

For me it's not the cost but the shear bulkiness of the Shield that makes it less attractive to me. I much prefer the smaller and lighter weight of S5800, so I only hope that it becomes available soon.
Devices: Nvidia Shield Portable, PS Vita, 3DS XL, PSP 2000 (hacked), DS Lite (hacked), Dingoo A320, GP2X, GP2X with NGage D-pad mod, GP32 BLU, Gizmondo, NGage, GBA Micro, GBA SP, GBA, Sega Game Gear, Atari Lynx, NEC TurboExpress, Sega Nomad

lemmywinks

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:37:06 pm »
..... but if you are considering an android device, i'd highly suggest the shield.

I didn't think they had even been released yet, have you used one?
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

TROGO

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:59:19 pm »
I cut these two images from the JXD catalog and noticed something strange.  They seem to be the exact same device except for the speaker holes on the S7800.  One is supposed to have a 5" inch screen and the other a 7".  But if you look at the ratio between the d-pad and buttons, the outside edge of the device and the screen, they're the same.  Did JXD really create scaled down buttons that perfectly match the smaller screen?  If the S5800 is 2 inches smaller, then the d-pad should appear quite a bit larger in comparison in these images.

Dood!, glad to see I wasnt the only one that saw this also. I just assumed the nubs were just bigger in the bigger unit.

Post a new topic