Author Topic: MINI GUIDE - Compile s192 source  (Read 14466 times)

LordDavon

Re: MINI GUIDE - Compile s192 source
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 01:05:36 am »
Installed the firmware.  Everything is working well.  Shield Hub is working with the auto-generated build.prop.  Need to remove the development packages that installed, and root the system.  Kingsroot doesn't work because it thinks it is a Shield Tablet.  Going to see if I can get the store seeing the unit as a Shield Tablet also, since those apps still won't install. 

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 03:53:21 am »
Sweet this update sounds like it will take care of all the issues I have with the S192. One question can either of you fine gentlemen get Jxd to confirm if the S192 has a fan for cooling as this would give a good idea as to overclocking potential?
Alienware 18 Sli Gtx 880m 8tb external 1tb enternal 80gb SSD 256gb SSD
Nvidia Shield Portable Tegra 4 64gb Micro SD
Jxd S192 Tegra K1 200gb Mirco SD
PlayStation 3 320gb

ClawShrimp

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 05:34:36 am »
In the videos JXD posted to YouTube about part replacement I didn't spot a fan.

Loving your work, LordDavon. Once my unit arrives I'll probably just keep it boxed until your rom is ready.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 09:42:53 am by ClawShrimp »
Proud owner of
Sony Xperia Play - JXD S5110 - JXD S603 - JXD S5100 - JXD S7300 - JXD S7800B - GPD G5A

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

skelton (OP)

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:45 pm »
Included a guide in third post to include supersu and binaries from source. No idea if this ill work though, I cannot test it myself.
Retired

LordDavon

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »
Included a guide in third post to include supersu and binaries from source. No idea if this ill work though, I cannot test it myself.

I've actually put all the binaries for busybox, su, SuperSU.apk in my ROM, but setting the permissions has been the issue.  I will try your approach and see if that works for me.

UPDATE: Okay, compiling now (this will take a couple hours).  If this doesn't work, I have another su system that I can use, and know how to set the permissions now. :-)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:50:18 pm by LordDavon »

LordDavon

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:31 pm »
@skelton - The root didn't work.  I am going to make sure I set everything up correctly for the scripts.  The binaries are there.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 08:34:31 pm »
Mmm. Strange, is the same i do in the gpds... when you open supersu shows some message or something? Maybe you can try with superuser from kousa. It's the one included in most cyanohen, etc...
https://github.com/koush/Superuser
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 08:37:31 pm by skelton »
Retired

LordDavon

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 08:48:45 pm »
Mmm. Strange, is the same i do in the gpds... when you open supersu shows some message or something? Maybe you can try with superuser from kousa. It's the one included in most cyanohen, etc...
https://github.com/koush/Superuser

I have another one I want to try first.  It may work, I hope. :-)  I also need to add ShieldHub to the image.  So, those are my projects for the day. :-)

skelton (OP)

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 09:05:48 pm »
I thought shield hub was included in the source. So does supersu appear installed when you compiled it? Does it show something when you open it? I think editing boot.img setting permissions or loading daemon su from ramdisk could be better than from install-eclvery.sh scripts. I can try uploading a boot.img tomorrow
Retired

anthonws

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 10:12:36 pm »
Hi skelton and LordDavon,

Would it be possible to share some pointers on how you where able to run Shield HUB with your custom firmware?

Steel01 (at XDA), has been trying to check how to run Shield HUB in the original Shield Portable using CM13, but it seems that not even the first level API are loading.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nvidia-shield/development/rom-cyanogenmod-12-shield-portable-t3042192/page34 (post 334 has the most juicy info).

Thanks for your attention!

Cheers,
anthonws.

p.s. Congrats on your great efforts with this cool handled!

LordDavon

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 10:27:20 pm »
I thought shield hub was included in the source. So does supersu appear installed when you compiled it? Does it show something when you open it? I think editing boot.img setting permissions or loading daemon su from ramdisk could be better than from install-eclvery.sh scripts. I can try uploading a boot.img tomorrow

Yes, SuperSU is there, as well as the binaries.  I ran a terminal on the system and tried running su, and it gives the error that use 10080 unable to use it.  So, it has the same issue as the one from the sources.  I think the permissions aren't being set (4755, I think) on the binaries.  I can change add them to the recovery script, and see if that makes it work.

Shield Hub is from Nvidia, and the one that JXD included in their patch was very old.  I am including the latest.

LordDavon

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 10:35:52 pm »

Would it be possible to share some pointers on how you where able to run Shield HUB with your custom firmware?

Steel01 (at XDA), has been trying to check how to run Shield HUB in the original Shield Portable using CM13, but it seems that not even the first level API are loading.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nvidia-shield/development/rom-cyanogenmod-12-shield-portable-t3042192/page34 (post 334 has the most juicy info).

Cheers,
anthonws.

I actually outlined them as I did them.  Pages 63 to about 67 of the JXD S192 thread.  When I get the ROM out, I should have time to do a step-by-step.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

skelton (OP)

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 10:37:55 pm »

Cheers,
anthonws.

i am not making any firmware for this jxd, just made the guide.

Lordavon, su permissions are 6755 and install-rwcovery.sh should be 0755. But install-recovery is called in init.rc. shouldn't be needed to set permissions manually. I don't understamf why it doesn't work though. I will try to edit ramdisk inside boot.kmg tomorrow to see if i can find another approach. I don't promise anyrhing though, i am spending too much time on a device that i will never own, lol.
Retired

LordDavon

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 10:47:47 pm »
Lordavon, su permissions are 6755 and install-rwcovery.sh should be 0755. But install-recovery is called in init.rc. shouldn't be needed to set permissions manually. I don't understamf why it doesn't work though. I will try to edit ramdisk inside boot.kmg tomorrow to see if i can find another approach. I don't promise anyrhing though, i am spending too much time on a device that i will never own, lol.

I don't know what su's permissions are, but they aren't working.  What I am suggesting is setting the permission for the files in install-recovery.sh, just to make sure they are set correctly.  If it doesn't work, I will try a simpler package.

UPDATE: I looked into the permissions and they are fine.  I am going to pull out some of my other changes from the image and see if doing just the su additions work.

UPDATE2: I've gone over the changes over-and-over, and they are all correct.  I'm giving a try to moving the user_apk.mk entry below the third_part_apps.mk line, just in case that matters.  I doubt it.  I suspect the daemon isn't getting run, but not sure why.  Once I do the install, I will install a terminal emulator and run ps to see if it is listed.  After that, I am going to have to try a different package.  @skelton, I will email you a link to another package we can consider.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:55:39 am by LordDavon »

skelton (OP)

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 09:53:50 am »
I think the problem is that for some reason system is not running the install-recovery.sh even though it should, so the daemon su is not running. It think the best approach is running daemon su from kernel ramdisk, or we'll need to make a custom recovery and just flash a supersu file.

LordDavon try flashing with this boot.img (rename to boot.img), to see if root it's working. If not I am out of ideas. Maybe bootloader is locked and we'll need a custom recovery,

https://mega.nz/#!lpBn3ZLQ!ygPWadggCT8rMPq6h8Zy0uNyUFoCZ-FIelxh3nc_1_U

Here is it is a repacked CWM recovery taken from Shield tablet mixed with JXd binaries. (rename it to recovery,img)

https://mega.nz/#!cpxBhD4J!E4etojQU0UW-wfWM6PycPVSmGL1-kFPzSUbgdejAWQU

To install it you probably need fastboot and unclock the bootloader following this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2399737

If bootloader can be unlocked then run follwing commands:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot boot recovery.img

And the device should reboot to CWM (if it works.....)

I am out of ideas, because I don't understand why it's no working. If CWM works, just flashing a SuperSU zip file should enough. https://download.chainfire.eu/921/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.65-20151226141550.zip

Another choice is try to sign an update,zip, but not sure if JXD just use the standard test keys to sign a zip or a diferent one.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:40:34 am by skelton »
Retired

LordDavon

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 02:18:38 pm »
I think the problem is that for some reason system is not running the install-recovery.sh even though it should, so the daemon su is not running. It think the best approach is running daemon su from kernel ramdisk, or we'll need to make a custom recovery and just flash a supersu file.

LordDavon try flashing with this boot.img (rename to boot.img), to see if root it's working. If not I am out of ideas. Maybe bootloader is locked and we'll need a custom recovery,
I agree.  I put a command to write a semaphore file in the install-recovery script, and it wasn't created.  So, it is not being run.  When I used your boot.img, it didn't make any difference.

I have an app that you can run, and it will root the device.  I may just include the app, so people who want root can have it, and anyone not wanting root can just not run it.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 02:57:16 pm »
Yep. That's also a choice
Retired

LordDavon

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 04:19:11 am »
I've emailed JXD about the recovery script.  Hopefully, they will give me a way to run the daemon on startup.  Until then, I am going to include the rooting application.  I am also including spoofer app, which allows you to spoof the device as a different device, without it changing the build.prop.  It does contact the Google servers to change it on their side, so I am hoping that it will give a little more flexibility for the device.

My issue right now is Shield Hub.  It needs to be installed, because it adds so much to the system.  If I use JXD's update version, then we are a bit behind in versions.  I am trying to include the latest Shield Hub package, and create an icon on the desktop that will install it.  This way it is nice and tidy.

Once these changes are in place, I will release the first beta of the image.  After that, I'd like to cleanup the install process (there are just too many files there), change the bookmarks to be things that S192 users will need, add a few more apps, and install a 3rd party store that will update Shield Hub as the new versions come out.

I hope to have the beta out any day now.

skelton (OP)

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 10:56:10 am »
In theory my boot.img should load dameon su at init.. No idea why it doesn't, perhaps there is something I miss, or tegra devices are more tricky than I expected. In my shield tablet I had to use TWRP to make a proper root in Marshmallow.

I'll get a shield TV today, and perhaps will try to compile a kernel etc, so I think I have entertainment for some time XD
Retired

bagmouse7

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 04:02:37 pm »
This is getting VERY interesting!

Looking forward to testing your release.
Thanks!

Post a new topic
Post a new topic