Author Topic: Low build quality s7800b  (Read 8012 times)

tito13kfm (OP)

Low build quality s7800b
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:08:02 am »
So, my jxd s7800b now has a broken USB port.  I used it exactly 8 times before it broke.  I was extremely careful when plugging and unplugging the cord as the orientation on a new device always takes some getting used to.

I can no longer mount it to my PC, so no more rkbtools for me.  Also confirmed USB otg no longer works so it's definitely the port..

I just hope all the updates I need to do from here on out can be done from the recovery ROM....

Oh well, no point to this, just posting my frustration.  Not going to bother trying to send it back to dinodirect as I'm sure the return shipping would be outrageous and I know "wear and tear" generally isn't covered.

DinoDirect

• * Confirmed Reseller
    • GPD Win
Re: Low build quality s7800b
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:44:03 am »
Really sorry to know this. Maybe you can contact our CS team for a solution.

Stealth Ninja

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:36:35 am »
So, my jxd s7800b now has a broken USB port.  I used it exactly 8 times before it broke.  I was extremely careful when plugging and unplugging the cord as the orientation on a new device always takes some getting used to.

I can no longer mount it to my PC, so no more rkbtools for me.  Also confirmed USB otg no longer works so it's definitely the port..

I just hope all the updates I need to do from here on out can be done from the recovery ROM....

Oh well, no point to this, just posting my frustration.  Not going to bother trying to send it back to dinodirect as I'm sure the return shipping would be outrageous and I know "wear and tear" generally isn't covered.

I received a damaged unit with R1 and R2 broken and that won't charge. I'd recommend opening a RMA case with Dino. If you paid for the insurance at checkout like I did than I think they will reimburse you for shipping. I'm waiting for them to authorize the shipping costs. I will keep you posted.

Pegoncology

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:11 am »
About this point, little tip : there is a 1USD insurance for shipping back on DD when purchasing. I took it to be sure and I think every buyer should do this (at this little price)...

EDIT : posted in the same time as Stealth ninja  ;)

odins_beard

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15:00 am »
_
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:11:41 pm by odins_beard »

lemmywinks

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:21:14 am »
If you can desolder the port it might be worth trying to find one on eBay which matches and either soldering it back on or getting someone to do it for you.

I broke the USB port on my S7300 (totally my own clumsy, stupid fault though) and found a compatible one for a couple of ?.
Handhelds:
GPD Win, GPD XD 64gb, Pap KIII-Plus, RS-97, RS-90, New Bittboy, 3DS XL, DSi XL, GBA SP, GBBC Clone, Gameboy Pocket, PSP Go,
PC:
HP Envy M6, Acer 522, Dell Mini 9
Psion 5 & 5MX
Tons of other old laptops and tablets.....

­

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:31:44 am »
The assumption is made due to:
1. JXD advertising the device as 1.6 GHz.
2. RockChip advertising the chip as stable up to 2 GHz.
3. The fact that every time the device boots with the original firmware, it tries to reach 1.6 GHz and fails.
All this leads us to believe that the second batch is the broken one.
Also, you're correct. On most devices, EMULATION wouldn't suffer a huge hit, with the exception being PPSSPP due to it not being optimized for multicore. But, higher end Android device already do suffer a hit, which will be compounded by the fact the SoC has a lower maximum frequency.

Also, when the S7800B was first released, there were many problems due to the faulty recharger JXD supplied. This is still true, but people have published workarounds and willgoo has supplied replacements - so you hear less and less about it. Also, the light leakage was so easily solved it shouldn't even be an issue, merely an oversight (it's loosening 4 screws that were overtightened).
The most notable issues were the faulty touchscreen and controls on JoeSixPack's unit, a unit with a missing back camera, and a unit that was fried due to the charger. 3 units out of thousands shipped. Crashes were rare, and I don't remember hearing about one.
So yeah. The S7800B's launch wasn't perfect (add it to the 2 month delay), but I'd rather have a light leaking device with a faulty charger than one with voltage leaks - at least I can take care of the first one.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »
I don't have much to add other then to +1 to sending it back if you bought the DD insurance.

I don't know where you are but in the US talking to someone else who had to send one back it cost them about 50 bucks.
For some reason it's cheap to send to the US and very expensive to send to China.

If it's going to cost you that much to send it back maybe DD could offer you a partial refund and in which case I'd recommend lemmywinks suggestion of changing the USB port.. IF you have exp with a soldering iron.

If you don't then use the money from (hopefully) partial refund and have it repaired at a shop..
You are gonna want a working USB port.

I would especially consider repair if your unit runs at 1.6ghz
A lot of the newer production units are showing up at 1.4

as M.I.C said I had touch screen and joystick issues on mine.
Still trying to get ahold of someone at Fox Offer about mine.
But since the cpu speed issue came up Im heavily leaning towards trying ot get parts and repair my self.

Other then a flaky touchscreen and some ghosting issues on my right joystick the unit has been solid, no freeze, no crashes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:06:00 pm by Joe Sixpack »

tito13kfm (OP)

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:44 pm »
Joe, I do have experience in soldering but it's just your basic stuff.  A couple mod chips, and other large and brainless points where I end up making 5 cold solder joints before fixing them.

My unit runs at 1.4, but I didn't pay for the insurance that I can remember.

Honestly, I can live without usb IF all the updates can be done from the recovery screen.  If they are going to require rkbtools then I'll have to whip out the soldering iron and try not to make it worse.

I have no intentions of using a 3g dongle or Bluetooth devices via otg, and all file transfers are done with my card reader anyways.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:24:06 pm »
Hmm not sure about recovery.
I flashed mine once using Rk batch tool.

I think in 1.1.4 they killed SD card based updates (where it boots and asks if you want to update)
But I could be wrong on that.

I'd get ahold of DD see what the cost is going ot be to send it back.. that would probably be a big factor in what you do.. if it's a lot then just get a partial refund at least it will take some of the sting out having no USB even if you dont use it very often

BTW: try ES explorer, nice little app.. It has the option of using Windows file sharing so it's very convenient, I have watched some videos this way off my pc using MX player.

It also makes file transfers easy.

tito13kfm (OP)

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 04:30:22 pm »
Thanks Joe

I actually just checked and I have a 99? return package fee on my invoice.  I'll have to check with customer service to see if that will do it.  My only problem with returning it is the is of getting one with bad buttons, touchscreen, or one that doesn't charge at all.

Of all the things that could be broken, the USB port is probably the least in inconvenient.  I already use ES and I agree, it's awesome. 

I know the SD card updates were killed, but if it's anything like my phone the updates can just be done from recovery boot by selecting install from zip file.

I'm just too much of a chicken to try it, brick it, and be SOL with no way to recover.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:36:27 pm »
Ah ya I know what you mean.
Send it back you might get a new unit or your own back with more issues then it left with.. I totally get that.
Same thing that worried me, Also I don't have any such insurance from where I bought mine, Fox Offer.

But then this CPU speed issue came up and I have a early unit that runs at 1.6 so now I really really don't want to send it back due to cost and also I don't want a 1.4..

Probably gonna do a self repair on mine if I can get F.O to send me parts, but im having trouble getting ahold of anyone at Fox Offer.  :(
They got a rep on the board I'll give them a while longer via email before I PM them.

tito13kfm (OP)

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 03:48:10 am »
I took my unit apart, the usb port had the middle part with the pins get pushed right out the back of it.

It's just kind of press fit together, I tried putting it back but it still didn't work. 

So I decided not to press my luck and put it all back together.  3 of the little plastic clips that hold the back on pretty much disintegrated and fell off

Lol, what a giant POS this thing is.  It runs great, but my god the build quality is garbage.  I even used a spudger that I've used numerous times when repairing cell phones and never had this issue.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:50:40 am by tito13kfm »

Marmiello

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 02:45:53 am »
I can't charge my unit anymore.  I plug it in and it will not recharge.  This is with a replacement charger.  It was progressively getting worse.  I would have to twist the power cord until the connector connected and then be sure not to move it.  It was manageable for a while but became problematic when it had no power to start.  When that happened I had no indicator the charger was connecting.  I've adjusted it 50 times but still it will not recharge the batteries.  Because of this I can't recommend this device to anyone.

darklight1138

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 02:52:59 am »
The USB port on my unit appears to have sunk a little into the console. I shaved some plastic off the end of the cord where the USB jack is and it worked, sporadically.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

deysmacro

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 03:31:11 am »
Lol. Now dust just entered between the screen gap.  ;D

Akkuji

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:12 pm »
The assumption is made due to:
1. JXD advertising the device as 1.6 GHz.
2. RockChip advertising the chip as stable up to 2 GHz.
3. The fact that every time the device boots with the original firmware, it tries to reach 1.6 GHz and fails.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/version-3-s7800b-1-6ghz-(tweakedvsync-fix60hzasop-launcher/msg109845/#msg109845

8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:02:43 pm by Lukyrediska »

sallylm

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 07:19:50 am »
Sorry to hear that, have you contacted the customer service

Post a new topic
Post a new topic