• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: LordDavon's S192 Hackware (Beta 0.53)  (Read 45406 times)

LordDavon (OP)

Re: LordDavon's S192 Hackware
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 01:31:45 pm »
Did you try changing governor in kernel to interactive as default? Perhaps that help to people having issues with emulators like mame running with stuttering (it seems it's only solved puting device in high performance mode, which is the same as using performance governor all the time.) although rooting the system with a cpu app anyone can try I guess.

I cannot test it unfortunately to give feedback, I'll get a s192K on monday, the one with RK3288.

did you try the CWM i send you? Because it would be a nice adittion in case if it works. I can extract system.img if you want to see if I can suggest anything. Did they send you the kernel patch for battery issues?

I haven't tried much of anything yet.  After losing the VM, and moving over to my Macbook Pro, I spent too much time trying to remake all my changes.  Now that it is getting tested, I will move the governor for the next version.

While it was down, my unit was down (bad firmware flash), so I have't tried the bootloader.  I can do the this weekend.

As for the patch, I haven't received any word from JXD since I last emailed them, over a week ago.  I'm not having the issue on my unit though.  It is one of the things I hope people report back is fine.

darthskids

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 05:53:14 pm »
Did a little sideloading and messed around with the governor but I don't really know what I'm doing with that.  Side loading wise, got Doom 3 BFG running, sound stuttered terribly but visually it seemed to have a good framerate so who knows. 

Installed "no frills cpu control" to mess around with governor / performance settings but either I don't know what I'm doing or it had some issues.  It only has one option listed for the I/O scheduler "noop", and it seems to be misreporting the min and max clock frequency.  I guess that has more to do with the s192 than any adjustments on your end of things tho.

update:  Spent a little more time with doom and had the same sound issue with the original and doom 2 that come with BFG.  And, kinda funny, it automatically loaded up my savegame on doom 3 from when I was playing it on the shield tablet.  Amazing world we live in.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:01:47 pm by darthskids »

skelton

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:23 pm »
Did a little sideloading and messed around with the governor but I don't really know what I'm doing with that.  Side loading wise, got Doom 3 BFG running, sound stuttered terribly but visually it seemed to have a good framerate so who knows. 

Installed "no frills cpu control" to mess around with governor / performance settings but either I don't know what I'm doing or it had some issues.  It only has one option listed for the I/O scheduler "noop", and it seems to be misreporting the min and max clock frequency.  I guess that has more to do with the s192 than any adjustments on your end of things tho.

Try with kernel Adiutor or setcpu. you must be rooted and should allow you to change governor and scheduler.
Retired

darthskids

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »
Ok.
Installed setcpu. 
It's correctly reporting the CPU mhz and looks to be working alright.  By default it's set to interactive, and no option for deadline or b/cfq, etc.  Dunno if those matter or not.  I haven't had any problems with stuttering on emulators even before root/install but I haven't tried mame yet.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.  Was there anything else I should be testing/trying out?

skelton

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2016, 07:01:51 pm »
Some people reported that mame run poorly unless high performance mode was set on settings. Strange that interactive is default governor (at least in source it was userspace). try mame 0.139 without frameskip to see if scroll runs smooth with simple games like outrun. At least some people reported that mame run very poorly, but no idea....

Also, some people reported that scroll was not completely smooth in broglia's emus without frameskipping. at least that was commented during the first days of the device. But not all people notice micro-stuttering in scroll...Apparently device have thre power modes, high performance, balanced and powersaving, and apparently only in high performance mode everything works ok.

Strange thing that cpu apps don't show any scheduler...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:05:23 pm by skelton »
Retired

skelton

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 07:08:32 pm »
Salut ,d?sol? je ne parle pas anglais , je pass? pour f?liciter lorddavon pour son taf , super , merci a toi , sinon je voulais savoir si c'?t? possible que tu int?gre cwm pour pouvoir flasher super su a la place de kingroot , sa serais juste g?nial , en te remerciant et bon courage pour la suite ;)

Please try in english, at least with google translator xD.

You mean CWM for s192? I put one in this forum (a repack from shield tablet CWM). Take a look at this post, no idea if @LordDavon or someone else tried it though. I cannot test it without a device, sorry. You'll probaly need fastboot and unclock bootloader to flash it, or an app like Flashify.

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/mini-guide-compile-s192-source/msg145472/#msg145472
Retired

skelton

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 07:15:14 pm »
@LordDavon, I noticed you spoofed using a MM fingerprint, instead of a Kitkat one. I also suggest you change the
ro.build.product=ardbeg to ro.build.product=shieldtablet. It can help to download legit ganes from play store (unless there are more checkings to avoid it) . I would put the beginning of build.prop like this in case you wanna try:

Code: [Select]
ro.build.id=KTU84Q-01-V1.4-20160701.145857
ro.build.display.id=nvidiashield-eng 4.4.4 KTU84Q-01-V1.4-20160701.145857 eng.parallels.20160701.145858 test-keys
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.parallels.20160701.145858
ro.build.version.sdk=19
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=4.4.4
ro.build.date=Fri Jul  1 15:00:26 EDT 2016
ro.build.date.utc=1467399626
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=NVIDIA
ro.build.host=ubuntu
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.model=SHIELD Tablet
ro.product.brand=nvidia
ro.product.name=wx_na_wf
ro.product.device=shieldtablet
ro.product.board=
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=NVIDIA
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=shieldtablet
persist.sys.strictmode.visual=0
persist.sys.strictmode.disable=1
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=wx_na_wf-eng 4.4.4 KTU84Q 41524_664.1902 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=nvidia/wx_na_wf/shieldtablet:4.4.4/KTU84Q/41524_664.1902:eng/test-keys
ro.build.characteristics=tablet

Nothing to lose I guess, probably you will need to erase data and cache from play store and services framework.
Retired

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »
@LordDavon, I noticed you spoofed using a MM fingerprint, instead of a Kitkat one. I also suggest you change the
ro.build.product=ardbeg to ro.build.product=shieldtablet. It can help to download legit ganes from play store (unless there are more checkings to avoid it) . I would put the beginning of build.prop like this in case you wanna try:

ro.build.display.id=nvidiashield-eng 4.4.4 KTU84Q-01-V1.4-20160701.145857 eng.parallels.20160701.145858 test-keys
ro.build.version.sdk=19
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=NVIDIA
ro.build.host=ubuntu
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.brand=nvidia
ro.product.name=wx_na_wf
ro.product.board=
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra
ro.build.fingerprint=nvidia/wx_na_wf/shieldtablet:4.4.4/KTU84Q/41524_664.1902:eng/test-keys

Nothing to lose I guess, probably you will need to erase data and cache from play store and services framework.
There are more checkings, but not sure what else is needed.  I was making the changes line by line, since changing some of the lines changes how the code compiles (which means I have to move ardbeg files to the wx_na_wf or shieldtablet code, or put hooks in to load the ardbeg files).  I stopped at this point to get the software out, and am going to spend some time changing things one at a time for the rest.

Oh, I make the change in the code and recompile each time.  This way the stuff that gets tested can stay.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 07:37:00 pm by LordDavon »

skelton

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 07:43:40 pm »
It's faster to compile just as default and use a tool to extract/repack system.img and change build.prop. If there are also framework checkings then it will be more complicated.
Retired

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 09:31:10 pm »
update:  Spent a little more time with doom and had the same sound issue with the original and doom 2 that come with BFG.  And, kinda funny, it automatically loaded up my savegame on doom 3 from when I was playing it on the shield tablet.  Amazing world we live in.

Anyone know if this happens on the original JXD Firmware?

darthskids

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2016, 09:34:55 pm »
Some people reported that mame run poorly unless high performance mode was set on settings. Strange that interactive is default governor (at least in source it was userspace). try mame 0.139 without frameskip to see if scroll runs smooth with simple games like outrun. At least some people reported that mame run very poorly, but no idea....

Also, some people reported that scroll was not completely smooth in broglia's emus without frameskipping. at least that was commented during the first days of the device. But not all people notice micro-stuttering in scroll...Apparently device have thre power modes, high performance, balanced and powersaving, and apparently only in high performance mode everything works ok.

Used mame4droid 0.139u1, turned off frameskip, and no problems at all.  I flipped on and off threaded video, the thread priority options, etc, no stuttering at all.  I play the hell out of the broglia emulators with ninja gaiden and batman and I haven't seen any stuttering on those eithers.  The one thing I did see with the broglia nes emulator is it's default screen refresh rate when installed was set at something goofy like 57 or 58hz.  I let it autodetect and it came up with 59.89hz, turned off frameskip and lowered the audio latency setting to 4 frames from 8.  I'm a whiny picky bitch when it comes to input lag so I would think if there was an issue on ninja gaiden then I would've noticed it.

Shit, sorry, I should've tried it before.  I haven't tried any other shield games so I don't know if it's specific to Doom or if it's a broader thing.  Guess I should get to sideloading something else

skelton

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2016, 09:42:22 pm »

Used mame4droid 0.139u1, turned off frameskip, and no problems at all.  I flipped on and off threaded video, the thread priority options, etc, no stuttering at all.  I play the hell out of the broglia emulators with ninja gaiden and batman and I haven't seen any stuttering on those eithers.  The one thing I did see with the broglia nes emulator is it's default screen refresh rate when installed was set at something goofy like 57 or 58hz.  I let it autodetect and it came up with 59.89hz, turned off frameskip and lowered the audio latency setting to 4 frames from 8.  I'm a whiny picky bitch when it comes to input lag so I would think if there was an issue on ninja gaiden then I would've noticed it.

Shit, sorry, I should've tried it before.  I haven't tried any other shield games so I don't know if it's specific to Doom or if it's a broader thing.  Guess I should get to sideloading something else
do you have your device in high performance mode or balanced?  It seems people reporting that issue claimed that ittndidn't work ok in balance mode. only in high performance seemed to work right. Retroarch is also a good test for testing screen refresh rate.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:46:16 pm by skelton »
Retired

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2016, 09:44:10 pm »
It's faster to compile just as default and use a tool to extract/repack system.img and change build.prop. If there are also framework checkings then it will be more complicated.

Okay.  I will try that and see if that gets things working better.  I will also change the default governor.  Should I add a few more governors and I/O schedulers to the kernel?  I haven't looked at the kernel config to see if there are a few I just need to turn on. One thing though, wife took the baby to the in-laws for the afternoon, so I'm installing Total War:WARHAMMER right now.  ;-) 

Once she gets back, I'm going to work on it.  While she is gone, it is play time for me.  I have a date with DOOM and TW:W.  I've had these games for a couple weeks now, and am just getting TW:W installed, and have 31 minutes into DOOM (51 now).  :-)

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2016, 09:44:53 pm »

Take your time.  I really appreciate the help.  This is great testing!

skelton

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2016, 09:49:12 pm »

Okay.  I will try that and see if that gets things working better.  I will also change the default governor.  Should I add a few more governors and I/O schedulers to the kernel?  I haven't looked at the kernel config to see if there are a few I just need to turn on. One thing though, wife took the baby to the in-laws for the afternoon, so I'm installing Total War:WARHAMMER right now.  ;-) 

Once she gets back, I'm going to work on it.  While she is gone, it is play time for me.  I have a date with DOOM and TW:W.  I've had these games for a couple weeks now, and am just getting TW:W installed, and have 31 minutes into DOOM (51 now).  :-)

I saw several governors in the source. Userspave governor seemed to be the default according to kernel config. Just put interactive as default and add the ones included in the source to see if it behaves better.
Retired

darthskids

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 11:05:42 pm »
Got HL2 ep 1 installed and it didn't have any problems so maybe it's just doom3 that has the issues.  Doing to dig into it's config file and see if there's anything that can be done from there, at least get an fps counter up so I can see if there are any issues there compared to the shield.

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »

ro.build.version.sdk=19
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=NVIDIA
ro.build.host=ubuntu
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.brand=nvidia
ro.product.name=wx_na_wf
ro.product.board=
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra

@skelton I tried changing ro.build.product (I didn't touch it before thinking it was deprecated) in the image and reflashing.  It still didn't work.  I will move to these keys and see if it makes a difference.  I basically have to spoof it and then recompile everything, just in case things get signed.  I want them signed with these keys.

I looked inside the MarketHelper app to see what object it used for spoofing.  Here is what I found:
    public static DeviceSpecs m50a(Context context) {
        if (f73a != null) {
            return f73a;
        }
        DeviceSpecs deviceSpecs = new DeviceSpecs();
        deviceSpecs.hardware = Build.HARDWARE;
        deviceSpecs.brand = Build.BRAND;
        deviceSpecs.radioVersion = DeviceSpecsUtils.m55b();
        deviceSpecs.bootloader = Build.BOOTLOADER;
        deviceSpecs.device = Build.DEVICE;
        deviceSpecs.model = Build.MODEL;
        deviceSpecs.manufacturer = Build.MANUFACTURER;
        deviceSpecs.product = Build.PRODUCT;
        deviceSpecs.cpuAbi = Build.CPU_ABI;
        deviceSpecs.cpuAbi2 = Build.CPU_ABI2;
        ConfigurationInfo deviceConfigurationInfo = ((ActivityManager) context.getSystemService("activity")).getDeviceConfigurationInfo();
        WindowManager windowManager = (WindowManager) context.getSystemService("window");
        DisplayMetrics displayMetrics = new DisplayMetrics();
        windowManager.getDefaultDisplay().getMetrics(displayMetrics);
        deviceSpecs.glEsVersion = deviceConfigurationInfo.reqGlEsVersion;
        deviceSpecs.screenDpi = displayMetrics.densityDpi;
        deviceSpecs.screenWidth = displayMetrics.widthPixels;
        deviceSpecs.screenHeight = displayMetrics.heightPixels;
        deviceSpecs.screenSmallestWidthDp = DeviceSpecsUtils.m53b(context);
        deviceSpecs.deviceKeyboard = DeviceSpecsUtils.m54b(deviceConfigurationInfo);
        deviceSpecs.deviceNavigation = DeviceSpecsUtils.m56c(deviceConfigurationInfo);
        deviceSpecs.deviceTouchscreen = DeviceSpecsUtils.m48a(deviceConfigurationInfo);
        deviceSpecs.deviceScreenLayout = DeviceSpecsUtils.m49a(context.getResources().getConfiguration());
        deviceSpecs.deviceInputFeatures = deviceConfigurationInfo.reqInputFeatures;
        deviceSpecs.glExtensions = DeviceSpecsUtils.m51a();
        deviceSpecs.systemSharedLibraries = DeviceSpecsUtils.m57c(context);
        deviceSpecs.systemFeatures = DeviceSpecsUtils.m59d(context);
        f73a = deviceSpecs;
        return deviceSpecs;

So, it looks like there may be a few things we can try.

Oh, I changed the default governor in the config file, and it didn't change in the code.  I changed the config file you said for the kernel compile.  Is there another one that gets used during the image build and creation?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:27:17 pm by LordDavon »

skelton

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »

ro.build.version.sdk=19
ro.build.type=eng
ro.build.user=NVIDIA
ro.build.host=ubuntu
ro.build.tags=test-keys
ro.product.brand=nvidia
ro.product.name=wx_na_wf
ro.product.board=
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=tegra

@skelton I tried changing ro.build.product (I didn't touch it before thinking it was deprecated) in the image and reflashing.  It still didn't work.  I will move to these keys and see if it makes a difference.  I basically have to spoof it and then recompile everything, just in case things get signed.  I want them signed with these keys.

I looked inside the MarketHelper app to see what object it used for spoofing.  Here is what I found:
    public static DeviceSpecs m50a(Context context) {
        if (f73a != null) {
            return f73a;
        }
        DeviceSpecs deviceSpecs = new DeviceSpecs();
        deviceSpecs.hardware = Build.HARDWARE;
        deviceSpecs.brand = Build.BRAND;
        deviceSpecs.radioVersion = DeviceSpecsUtils.m55b();
        deviceSpecs.bootloader = Build.BOOTLOADER;
        deviceSpecs.device = Build.DEVICE;
        deviceSpecs.model = Build.MODEL;
        deviceSpecs.manufacturer = Build.MANUFACTURER;
        deviceSpecs.product = Build.PRODUCT;
        deviceSpecs.cpuAbi = Build.CPU_ABI;
        deviceSpecs.cpuAbi2 = Build.CPU_ABI2;
        ConfigurationInfo deviceConfigurationInfo = ((ActivityManager) context.getSystemService("activity")).getDeviceConfigurationInfo();
        WindowManager windowManager = (WindowManager) context.getSystemService("window");
        DisplayMetrics displayMetrics = new DisplayMetrics();
        windowManager.getDefaultDisplay().getMetrics(displayMetrics);
        deviceSpecs.glEsVersion = deviceConfigurationInfo.reqGlEsVersion;
        deviceSpecs.screenDpi = displayMetrics.densityDpi;
        deviceSpecs.screenWidth = displayMetrics.widthPixels;
        deviceSpecs.screenHeight = displayMetrics.heightPixels;
        deviceSpecs.screenSmallestWidthDp = DeviceSpecsUtils.m53b(context);
        deviceSpecs.deviceKeyboard = DeviceSpecsUtils.m54b(deviceConfigurationInfo);
        deviceSpecs.deviceNavigation = DeviceSpecsUtils.m56c(deviceConfigurationInfo);
        deviceSpecs.deviceTouchscreen = DeviceSpecsUtils.m48a(deviceConfigurationInfo);
        deviceSpecs.deviceScreenLayout = DeviceSpecsUtils.m49a(context.getResources().getConfiguration());
        deviceSpecs.deviceInputFeatures = deviceConfigurationInfo.reqInputFeatures;
        deviceSpecs.glExtensions = DeviceSpecsUtils.m51a();
        deviceSpecs.systemSharedLibraries = DeviceSpecsUtils.m57c(context);
        deviceSpecs.systemFeatures = DeviceSpecsUtils.m59d(context);
        f73a = deviceSpecs;
        return deviceSpecs;

So, it looks like there may be a few things we can try.

Oh, I changed the default governor in the config file, and it didn't change in the code.  I changed the config file you said for the kernel compile.  Is there another one that gets used during the image build and creation?

Strange that kernel ignore that change. Did you make a make clean before compiling kernel again? Perhaps there is something in the power policy that overrides that. Or kernel is just a mess. Maybe bootloader must be unlocked i am afraid like happens with shield tablet.
I will get the rockchip modelo tomorrow probably so i think i will have my own fight with that model i guess, because jXD source will be muxh more faulty than gpd source i guess.
Retired

adamantibus

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 09:34:09 pm »
Skelton, you should sell your RK model and get a Tegra instead.  ;D

LordDavon (OP)

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2016, 09:48:55 pm »
Strange that kernel ignore that change. Did you make a make clean before compiling kernel again? Perhaps there is something in the power policy that overrides that. Or kernel is just a mess. Maybe bootloader must be unlocked i am afraid like happens with shield tablet.
I will get the rockchip modelo tomorrow probably so i think i will have my own fight with that model i guess, because jXD source will be muxh more faulty than gpd source i guess.

I always make clean unless I am just making a quick change in the system folder of the image.  I may just compile the kernel manually and move it to the image.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  There is also 5 governors in the config selected, so it may be using a different config.  Maybe I will make the changes to all of them.

Post a new topic