Author Topic: lazy extended battery mod for s7800b  (Read 2209 times)

darthskids (OP)

lazy extended battery mod for s7800b
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:40 am »
Recently shield portable broke and decided to take the s7800b out of storage.  Battery life sucks and I happened to have one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Tech-10000mAh-Replacement-NP100K-BAT/dp/B00DBW9E4M) laying around.  The charging bit had broken on it so I pulled the battery out of it and wired it into the s7800b.  Drilled a hole through the back of the plastic snap in piece for the wires to fit and soldered them onto where the s7800's battery was already connected.  Might add a little more electrical tape, or 3d print a covering, battery life is much improved but the s7800 itself is such a hunk of junk I don't know if I'll use it that much.  No more JXD devices for me, would probably work better taping a moga controller to the side of a regular tablet than trying to deal with the jxd's.

octo

Re: lazy extended battery mod for s7800b
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 10:05:55 pm »
Do you happen to have a guide on how you did this? I do love my JXD but the battery life is a HUGE bummer.

darthskids (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:26:34 pm »
It was pretty simple, step by step pictures attached (Have to be logged in to see them).  Battery is a single cell lithium ion.  Any 3.7v single cell lion or lipo will work.  The white plastic connectors are called 2.54mm JST, the wire is 24 gauge stranded, and all I did was solder the connector wires onto the PCB where the red and black wires from the battery were already attached.  I've been leaving the extra battery attached while charging the JXD and no problems so far.  Takes a lot longer to charge, but seems to last 8-10+ hours of solid use too. 

Only trouble I can see anyone running into, is I've seen a picture of a disassembled jxd and it didn't look like the internal battery was wired into the same place on the PCB.  So if there are a couple different revisions out there and the one you have is different then you might have to pull it further apart to figure out where the battery is actually connected.  Oh, and the battery indicator doesn't really work, it just sits at 99% for quite a few hours and then starts slowly going down but being a jxd the battery indicator never really worked before either.

darthskids (OP)

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:27:33 pm »
Pictures 4 and 5 and a picture of it working with the screen on afterwards.

octo

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 09:30:45 pm »
Thank you!
I was just considering buying a small portable power brick and a wee bit of Velcro to slap it on the back when I needed the extra battery life - on journeys and such.
This looks like a fun project though, would love to see if you do end up with a shell for the additional battery.

vinidluca

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:59:41 am »
My battery died today, I think i'm gonna do something like this uahsduhaushd

Post a new topic