Author Topic: JXD the end of an era ?  (Read 5138 times)

GuZzO (OP)

JXD the end of an era ?
« on: October 10, 2014, 08:25:39 am »
It seems that JXD won't produce handheld console anymore, only tablet and smartphone.
Enjoy your S7800 and S5800, it will be the last ones !

See here : http://www.open-consoles.com/t7685p60-voyage-a-shenzhen#85948

skelton

Re: JXD the end of an era ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 08:31:45 am »
I am not surprised.
Retired

GuZzO (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:17:22 am »
It would be a good reason to release source code if they give up with handled device, no ?

skelton

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:10:01 am »
To accomplish with GPL should be reason enough. They are obliged to do it. But yeah, perhaps they have an excuse now. I don't have 5800 or 7800 anyhow, but someone else could work with source I guess.
Retired

tiagao_extremo

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:47:06 pm »
Curious.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 11:57:34 pm »
on one hand their QC blows, their firmwares stink, and I'd say good ridden.

On the other hand I love the physical design of the 7800, it's comfortable both when using the physical controls and when using it as a tablet (touchscreen games) and will be sad if all of them adopt a controller like configuration.

If someone made a high quality 7800 with a better SoC and a open source firmware that would be awesome.

From a business stand point It seems like this niche market would have better potential if they focused on it.
Do we really need another budget Chinese tablet mfg? nope.. a zillion of them already.

Stormwatch

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 04:24:06 am »
Indeed. I loved my 7800... until the joystick broke.  ::)

Volcano

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 04:52:11 am »
s7800b with tegra k1... aww yisss
S7800B. Webclaw

darklight1138

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »
Heck yeah, if I had the money I'd start a company or at least start a Kickstarter so I can make domestic gaming tablets. First thing I'd release is a 7800 Plus model, with completely functioning FW (kernel available) and hardware and much higher quality of parts that can actually be easily swapped out.

I love the 7800 design and if it had the right people making the right choices for it, it would be the best handheld ever.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Chex

• Chex Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 01:56:38 pm »
Kind of upsetting, but oh well. They aren't the leading Android handheld manufacturers anymore anyway, I guess. Looks like GPD, iPega, iReadyGo, MatriMax, and Sanemax will carry the torch.

It has been an interesting few years. I've now witnessed both the rise and fall of JXD and Yinlips, as well as the rise of some other Android handheld manufacturers. I've seen them go from struggling to run N64 and PS1 to running DS, PSP, and Dreamcast games smoothly.

Who knows what is in store for us next year? Dolphin at playable speeds, finally? Maybe the beginning of PS2 emulation? With JXD out of the picture, will GPD and Sanemax begin to produce devices more frequently? We'll have to wait and see.

Will they at least continue producing older models?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:01:51 pm by Chex »
YOU GONNA GET CHEX'D
DS Phat | GenMobile | FC-16 Go | JXD S5110 | JXD S7300 | Retromini

Melquiades

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »
We all know JXD has plenty of faults and that their devices are a hit or miss (sometimes both like S7800B).

However, it is never good for the consumer to have less competition. And while JXD haven't really come up with new ideas for consoles, always basing their design in something else (until S5800/S7800) they have been a long time in the scene and I believe some of their products were very good at their time, like the S5110.

Lets see if GPD, that seems to be doing well can keep up the pace and avoid the mistakes made by JXD and others (like quality control disasters). To begin with they seem to be inventive and daring with their designs, and that is very refreshing in this scene, full of PSP and Vitas clones. Also, the fact that they work closer with developers is very good news. Lets see if they keep this policy when their market share grows...

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 03:33:00 pm »
I don't care who's name is on the device as long as it's good.
I just have'nt seen another gaming tablet with a better physical design.
and I don't want one that looks like a controller.. that was what I did not like about the shield.. that and the 5 inch screen.

The 7800 is just comfortable no matter what you're doing with it, it's not even to terrible in portrait (vertical)
And I GOTTA have 2 shoulder buttons.. this is a non starter with me.

Despite all their quality problems I've not seen another tab that speaks to me like the 78.

GRiM

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:11:33 am »
I don't care who's name is on the device as long as it's good.
I just have'nt seen another gaming tablet with a better physical design.
and I don't want one that looks like a controller.. that was what I did not like about the shield.. that and the 5 inch screen.

The 7800 is just comfortable no matter what you're doing with it, it's not even to terrible in portrait (vertical)
And I GOTTA have 2 shoulder buttons.. this is a non starter with me.

Despite all their quality problems I've not seen another tab that speaks to me like the 78.

Indeed.  Lack of 4 shoulder buttons is a deal breaker for me and one of the reasons I went for the S7800B.

It's sad to hear that wont be making any more gaming tablets although I'm hoping a company releases a good enough replacement that also happens to have good dev following.

JimKevin

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 09:38:08 am »
We all know JXD has plenty of faults and that their devices are a hit or miss (sometimes both like S7800B).

However, it is never good for the consumer to have less competition. And while JXD haven't really come up with new ideas for consoles, always basing their design in something else (until S5800/S7800) they have been a long time in the scene and I believe some of their products were very good at their time, like the S5110.

Lets see if GPD, that seems to be doing well can keep up the pace and avoid the mistakes made by JXD and others (like quality control disasters). To begin with they seem to be inventive and daring with their designs, and that is very refreshing in this scene, full of PSP and Vitas clones. Also, the fact that they work closer with developers is very good news. Lets see if they keep this policy when their market share grows...
Your analysis is great,and I also hope them make some changes.

skelton

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:40 am »
There is an electronic fair in Hong Kong these days, so we'll see if there is a new device by some company showed there. If nobody shows something, then I wouldn't expect anything new in a short-time period.
Retired

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 07:24:44 pm »
let us know if you spot anything good Skelton.
I guess this means the JXD section will die a slow death :/

Whole reason I joined.. Seemed like this was the most active board for JXD devices.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic