Author Topic: JXD s7800B, Disappointed in Arcade Emulation!!!  (Read 16493 times)

BlockABoots (OP)

JXD s7800B, Disappointed in Arcade Emulation!!!
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:23:06 am »
One of the main reasons i got the JXD s7800b was for mame emulation, after receiving the device and playing around with both Mame4driod and RetroArch i have to say am sorely disappointed in this device!

The few games i have tried so far only Final Fight seems to run flawlessly, the other games i have tried (Outrun, Chase HQ, Alien Vs Predator, Ninja Spirt, Elevator Action Returns) run with alot of skipping, and NEED Frameskip set to auto and eevn then soo many frames are being skipped it doesnt make for smooth gameplay!. Outrun here is a massive fail, with auto frame skipping set to on, it has to skip between 8-10 frames to keep a smooth-ish framerate!!!...this is just ridiculous, Alien Vs Predator is not as bad but doesnt run smoothly! The humble GCW-Zero, runs both these games flawlessly in Mame4All, surely thr JXD HAS to be more capable than the GCW-ZERO.???

Am i missing something here, as the emulation on this device for arcade games cant be this bad can it?

acid

Re: JXD s7800B, Disappointed in Arcade Emulation!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:40 am »
Which version of mame are you using? Also, have you tried using the final burn alpha core in retroarch for some of those games?

Edit. Haven't tried all of those but alien vs predator and chase hq seem to run well with final burn alpha.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:38:34 pm by acid »

crispy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 12:56:37 pm »
yes something isnt right here
I can play all those games super smooth
I could even play all those smooth on my xperia play phone
what firmware are u running on your device?
and as above try a different emulator
be afraid...be very afraid

XiTaU

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:56:54 pm »
ive played outrun in fba and it runs fine also never touched the mame core as it is outdated and mame always uses much more processing power no matter the system. Well the system has plenty of power to run them old 80's games it all about how well the developers work on it.

XiTaU

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 01:13:04 pm »
ok downloaded the mame rom and it works flawless on retroarch and mame4droid with 0 frameskip maybe its something to do with ur cpu throttling program?

Peibal

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 02:25:38 pm »
Use set cpu in 1400 - 1400 ondemand but when it will be required go to 1600 and set performance, use the fba 1.65 or retroarch final burn-mame emulators when mame4droid reloaded doesn't run the games well with this method you can  play cps3 mortal kombat 2-3, nba jam, ninja warriors, night slashers and games like that flawless
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:29:30 pm by Peibal »

foleyjo

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 02:49:07 pm »
For outrun in mame4droid try changing the speed hack settings that you bring up in the in game mame menu by pressing start and select

BlockABoots (OP)

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »
Which version of mame are you using? Also, have you tried using the final burn alpha core in retroarch for some of those games?

Edit. Haven't tried all of those but alien vs predator and chase hq seem to run well with final burn alpha.

I have the daily updated version, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91sakv0qdyxjx9f/cGOfV7ZOKd

so was released yesterday.

yes something isnt right here
I can play all those games super smooth
I could even play all those smooth on my xperia play phone
what firmware are u running on your device?
and as above try a different emulator

Well i got the device back last wee so has the default 1.4 version i believe.

Use set cpu in 1400 - 1400 ondemand but when it will be required go to 1600 and set performance, use the fba 1.65 or retroarch final burn-mame emulators when mame4droid reloaded doesn't run the games well with this method you can  play cps3 mortal kombat 2-3, nba jam, ninja warriors, night slashers and games like that flawless

Where can i find this option to change the clock speed then?

For outrun in mame4droid try changing the speed hack settings that you bring up in the in game mame menu by pressing start and select

Have tried that any thing above 'High' make the game go slower, and High isnt enough to stop the stuttering
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:18:34 pm by BlockABoots »

BlockABoots (OP)

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 04:43:21 pm »
Heres a vid show FBA core on Retroarch, it still stutters and gets even worse on Stage 2....

<a href="https://web.archive.org/web/20190313162507/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxLqusjiY0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxLqusjiY0</a>

....yeah i know i havent taken my screen protector off yet :)

Vimtoman

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:54 pm »
There are two versions of Mame4driod try the red one.

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »
as mentioned try the mame4droid .37
it runs things much better then retroarch or 1.39

The down side however is the mame4droid .37 doesn't seem to play every game, for example mk2/3/umk all crash out to launcher when I try to run them.

also change your governor to ondemand, I think default is interactive and it sucks.

Peibal

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 07:47:54 pm »
As we said go to set cpu app and then switch to 1400-1400 ondemand or performance for other games you could switch to 1600

In btw if you are using an usb with the otg cable it makes the emulation much slower and did you check how many apps are open while you are using the emulator?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:09:01 pm by Peibal »

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »
In btw if you are using an usb with the otg cable it makes the emulation much slower
Why is that? CD based roms ok.. but IC rom's / Carts should load up into memory on the vast majority of emulators.
This is why Neogeo games are hogs on memory.

Peibal

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 08:08:11 pm »
I don't know i think is something like the tablet is checking the usb all the time, but when i used my mame roms in the usb otg with mame4droid reloaded, final burn 1.65 and retroarch the performance was way worst than with the sd card and i mean much worst that's why i moved all my n 64, nintendo ds, dreamcast games mame roms to the sd card
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:10:23 pm by Peibal »

Epsilon68000

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:42 am »
Can someone please help me in understand how exactly do I make MAME roms work manually?

Like when I download a MAME game from Happy Chick. It plays fine and it appears with the other games I've downloaded from there. There are games that Happy Chick doesn't have like Viewpoint arcade. So I download the game from my PC, connected my 7800b, and dragged the zipped rom to the folder where all the other roms that were downloaded from Happy Chick are in. When I go back, the rom doesn't appear. So I went and downloaded the Mame4driod app but that emulator can't run a single game I select because they all apparently have missing files.

What am I doing wrong??

procyon

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 04:46:32 am »
What am I doing wrong??

Well, for starters, you're using the Happy Chick app.  Stop using it.  There are a ton of other places to get MAME ROMs from.

Use either of the two official MAME for Android apps (MAME4Droid or MAME4Droid Reloaded).  Once they're installed, start them.  It will ask you if you want to use the default directory path.  If you don't know what you're doing (or aren't super anal about where your directories go) say yes.  This will set up an entire MAME4Droid directory.  In that directory is a folder called "roms".  Any time you download a ROM, make sure you put it in that folder, and that folder only.  Then it should work just fine.

There's a wrinkle to all of this, of course.  Both versions of MAME for android do not use the most up-to-date ROM sets available.  The original MAME4Droid relies on the incredibly old v37b5 set so those ROMs can be hard to find individually (but very easy to download as a complete torrent, roughly 2GB).  MAME4Droid Reloaded relies on the v139u1 set, which is reasonably recent by comparison; very few of those ROMs have changed significantly since the latest releast (v152 which came out last week) although a couple have.  The complete v139u1 set is over 20GB, and can be found through similar means (torrents, etc.)

Timber

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 11:23:45 pm »
24.3GB for the v0.139 pack, gonna test it later as the other pack I had barely any roms worked.

BlockABoots (OP)

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:03:01 am »
There a program u can get called Romlister, so basically once you have your 0.139u1 romset you can use Romlister to remove all the clones, mature, pinball, fruit machine and other strange Asian games out and place only the Roms you want into another folder, so cutting down the size of your rom list considerably

Bargaintuan

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 04:13:15 pm »
There a program u can get called Romlister, so basically once you have your 0.139u1 romset you can use Romlister to remove all the clones, mature, pinball, fruit machine and other strange Asian games out and place only the Roms you want into another folder, so cutting down the size of your rom list considerably

Bah. The strange Asian games are half the fun of MAME! ;)

Timber

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 02:51:16 pm »
I will have to try that Romlister the pack is full of weird versions that have choppy graphics etc, the games run fantastic on Mame4Droid though, apart for MK4 which was laggy as hell.

On the other hand, I've been using NEO.Emu for all my Neo-Geo games and it runs them awesome. Kof and metal Slug are sweet on this device.

Post a new topic
Post a new topic