Author Topic: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!  (Read 494457 times)

Watto

Re: JXD S601 New android console from JXD with shoulder buttons!!!
« Reply #400 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:02 am »

You should probably see what isharegifts says first (they'll probably require you to pay shipping back to china   >:( )

Cheers for the internals. Might well come in handy!

Yeah. I emailed them last night... They got back to me pretty quick, but mainly to ask the obvious questions like...was I sure I had the volume up!

Anwyays, I replied back saying I was sure it was a hardware fault and had factory restored etc etc, but have heard nothing back from them as of yet. But fingers crossed, hopefully they will replace it.

I've not tried it yet, but I do know that Robert's emulators are very good (I have most of them on my Ipad/Iphone), so I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks Wiierdguy and Skelton  ;D

EDIT. Sorry wrong quote there, should have been the thread on Neo Geo !
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:18:39 am by Watto »

skelton

« Reply #401 on: February 18, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »
SNESFAN, i've been testing some android games from market, cordy and zenonia 4 and controls are perfect, so maybe the failure in samurai II and fight game heroes are from the version i have, Sorry for any inconvenience, but controls seem to be perfect. I will try some other games if I can.
Retired

SNESFAN

« Reply #402 on: February 18, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »
the alternate config is overriding the BUTTON_A call for the circle button, BUTTON_A is a non-standard call for 2.3.4, it is modified on the version on the xperia play. inaccurate
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent.html
sort by API level 10 (android 2.3.4) in top right

My problem with the play is I'm running aosp similar to whats on the s601 and others are having the same issue.
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/36038-xperia-play-o-button-not-setting-isaltpressed-in-onkeydown-event/

some games are using BACK such as dungeon defenders, zenonia, corgy etc... others are possibly using the keycode it's self.. it may require a rebuild of the OS to fix, but we will see. Seeing how the problem hasn't been fixed on the aosp xperia play port... I can't promise anything

workaround, as stated before, go back to the stock qwerty.kl and games that use BUTTON_A as opposed to BACK will work, those that use BACK won't work untill I find a solution for the alternate mapping

nope this is inaccurate, just tried it, the problem is app specific, take this for example, you can do one of two ways
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1341
also read this on samurai vegence 2
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhyCyNa5rK-QdHlVNUg5dXhYMEFxdjg5NllLX01CcUE&hl=en_US#gid=0

I'm confident it's an app specific problem, the reason is sony ericsson though

Sony Ericcson kinda helped the android gaming scene, but also fragmented it, they chose DPAD_CENTER and BACK instead of the perfered BUTTON_A and BUTTON_B, they also docuement the center and back on their site so most developers will use those rather than standard android calls... they never rolled these changes back into android source or at least how to merge both at once from the perspective of the OS ...so... we're left in a fragmented software ecosystem. If I figure out what can be done to fix it, I'll be sure to document it so other systems can benifit.
http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/wp/2011/02/13/xperia-play-game-keys/

I'm going to look into it, but I'm not going to invest too much more effort, it works the way it is, most apps use the center and button a, the ones that don't are the problem. SE didn't make it extremely easy to copy what they did on the xperia play, so this will have to do for now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:53:44 pm by SNESFAN »

abhoriel

« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:57 am »
just ordered one of these.. but I guess my skills as a C programmer won't be particularly useful as its all android ;)

what kernel are you trying to compile SNESFAN? :)

bamboori

« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2012, 01:54:41 am »
ther are c compilers for android :p
looking forward to your emulators lol

SNESFAN

« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:14 am »
just ordered one of these.. but I guess my skills as a C programmer won't be particularly useful as its all android ;)

what kernel are you trying to compile SNESFAN? :)
have you looked at the NDK?
http://developer.android.com/sdk/ndk/index.html

android 2.3.4 uses a 2.6.35 kernel, but the 601 uses android 2.3.4 but with a 2.6.34 kernel

the source that's available looks to be 2.6.32, there's not a whole lot of consistency as you can tell
the "m-1 kernel" is 2.6.34

There's like 3 different versions I'm digging through and trying to compile
http://forum.openhandhelds.net/index.php/topic,25.0.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:02:42 am by SNESFAN »

skelton

« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »

I have tested the new Neo.emu emulator form the market. it works awesome in terms of speed. In my opinion, this is best emulator to play NeoGeo games on the JXD s601. There's some issues with some games, but it is the first version of the emulator and the performance is awesome.
Retired

abhoriel

« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »
i guess i wont get it for a while though, dealextreme status: waiting for supplier :P
cancel and order somewhere else?

i guess i'll see if i can compile the kernels in the meantime

i know about the NDK :) but it seems that they've added the facility to create pure native programs :) sweet.

SNESFAN

« Reply #408 on: February 19, 2012, 02:05:56 pm »
i guess i wont get it for a while though, dealextreme status: waiting for supplier :P

they're probably in high demand everywhere... this thing is attracting a lot of interest. I personally ordered from isharegifts, but if I had the choice at the time between dx and them I would have gone with dx. Your choice on that one. I'd say wait it out though.

awesome, I take it you have experience compiling kernels? I'm a android rom cooker by nature, and I know a lot about the android platform, but I know little about kernel hacking... It's been a great learning experience for me so far, it sure is a challenge though.

abhoriel

« Reply #409 on: February 19, 2012, 02:20:01 pm »

they're probably in high demand everywhere... this thing is attracting a lot of interest. I personally ordered from isharegifts, but if I had the choice at the time between dx and them I would have gone with dx. Your choice on that one. I'd say wait it out though.

awesome, I take it you have experience compiling kernels? I'm a android rom cooker by nature, and I know a lot about the android platform, but I know little about kernel hacking... It's been a great learning experience for me so far, it sure is a challenge though.

I've compiled kernels, but I also know little about kernel hacking unfortunately. I guess I'll learn :) I just have a lot of C/C++ experience.

SNESFAN

« Reply #410 on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:59 pm »
I've compiled kernels, but I also know little about kernel hacking unfortunately. I guess I'll learn :) I just have a lot of C/C++ experience.

well I'll document everything I come up with, hopefully you do the same, so we can both learn from each other  ;D

Watto

« Reply #411 on: February 19, 2012, 07:23:55 pm »

I have tested the new Neo.emu emulator form the market. it works awesome in terms of speed. In my opinion, this is best emulator to play NeoGeo games on the JXD s601. There's some issues with some games, but it is the first version of the emulator and the performance is awesome.

I've tried the Neo.emu emulator, and it just won't work for me, it keeps saying I have missing files for the games, but I know this is not true because they work fine in Mame4Droid. I just assumed the emulator wouldn't work on the S601 as its documented as being for android 2.0 - 2.2, and we are running 2.3, but that is obviously wrong if it works for you.

Any hints to getting it to work would be most helpful !

skelton

« Reply #412 on: February 19, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »

I've tried the Neo.emu emulator, and it just won't work for me, it keeps saying I have missing files for the games, but I know this is not true because they work fine in Mame4Droid. I just assumed the emulator wouldn't work on the S601 as its documented as being for android 2.0 - 2.2, and we are running 2.3, but that is obviously wrong if it works for you.

Hi, the problem is that the roms for mame4droid are not valid for neo.emu. Neo.Emu uses the mame romset 0.144, whereas mame4droid uses the 0.37, so you need the roms for 0.144 romset.
Retired

Watto

« Reply #413 on: February 19, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »

Hi, the problem is that the roms for mame4droid are not valid for neo.emu. Neo.Emu uses the mame romset 0.144, whereas mame4droid uses the 0.37, so you need the roms for 0.144 romset.

Thanks for that, I saw Qbertaddict's review of the emulator and he confirms what you said. Just have to find the right romset  :o

SNESFAN

« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2012, 07:23:34 am »
I think I tracked down the exact problem with the mapping issue. However, I can't fix it without compiling something, the problem is in a specific binary.

EDIT: most people don't care for technical crap, so I modified my post and removed most of it, but if you care to read my documentation of the problem it's right here.
http://forum.openhandhelds.net/index.php?topic=29.msg86#msg86

I found a tool that can be used to decompile the keypad-zeus.kcm.bin from the xperia play and insert and recompile the entries into qwerty.kcm.bin for the S601 that's causing the issue. It's written in python if anyone is curious.

unkcm tool
http://code.google.com/p/openeve/wiki/KeyboardMapping
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:00:48 am by SNESFAN »

Watto

« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2012, 11:51:49 am »

Thanks for that, I saw Qbertaddict's review of the emulator and he confirms what you said. Just have to find the right romset  :o

Finally got this to work after much head scratching, it may be obvious to most out there, but my problem wasn't with my roms, you have to make sure that you have the uni bios file named exactly - uni-bios_2_3.rom inside your neogeo.zip file.

Hope this helps anyone else struggling  ;)

qbertaddict

• * Former Staff
  • The Doctor
    • about.me
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:26 pm »

Finally got this to work after much head scratching, it may be obvious to most out there, but my problem wasn't with my roms, you have to make sure that you have the uni bios file named exactly - uni-bios_2_3.rom inside your neogeo.zip file.

If you are using the mame .144 romset you dont have to rename the file in the neogeo.zip file. If you are using an old romset some games will work but not all. Romsets of certain games are changing all the time. For best compatibility get the .144 romsets or use clearmame to create a set for you.

Watto

« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2012, 02:16:49 pm »

If you are using the mame .144 romset you dont have to rename the file in the neogeo.zip file. If you are using an old romset some games will work but not all. Romsets of certain games are changing all the time. For best compatibility get the .144 romsets or use clearmame to create a set for you.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice  ;D

Shadowfire

« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »
I've received the S601 and here are my impressions.
This is in the perspective of a retro game player.
1. The DPAD, is, unfortunately, the weakest link in this package.  It is actually 2 pieces (UP/LEFT, DOWN/RIGHT), and allows you to simultaneously press DOWN and UP (and LEFT and RIGHT).  Also, the buttons are spaced further apart than in the JXD5000 - which is pretty bad for a dpad which isn't a single piece.  I'm giving the D-pad a 4/10 here.  The shoulder buttons are loud but provide excellend tactile feedback, and seem to be microswitches, as are the four option buttons.  The d-pad and 4 primary buttons are the rubber-dome type.  Of the 3 units I own, the Dingoo A380 has the best dpad.
2. Based on the photograph posted here earlier, the nub hardware really is 100% analog.  That picture shows a resistive track layout, with a voltage sensing line. It almost certainly gets fed into an ADC on the board.  How the driver exposes it to the OS may be another issue entirely, though.
3. USB, video, and headphone connectors come out on the top of the unit instead of the bottom.  This is a +1 for intelligent layout.
4. Like the JXD5000, only 1 speaker.  Like the JXD5000, loud enough for most purposes.  I have an A380 and stereo output doesn't mean a whole lot without headphones on a portable like this.  No points docked, but no points added.
5. The touchscreen is resistive.  There is no stylus included with the unit.  It's good for a resistive touch screen.  I didn't buy this to play Android games on anyways, and it functions acceptably for launching and utilizing the emulators.  If you really want to play touchscreen games, this is NOT the unit for you, look for a capacitive unit.
6. The screen resolution is odd, but ideal for running emulators of older systems.  Screen brightness shifts on vertical rotation.  Looking straight down at the unit produces an acceptable display.  Even holding this unit vertically, the display is tons better than the Dingoo A380, although not as nice as the JXD5000.  The screen is recessed, which will help prevent scratching.
7. The stock emulators work very well with the games that are included.  Which are (as usual) almost all chinese.  Frameskipping and limiting seems to be working fine.  It includes a disc which I assume is a DVD with more chinese games on it.  I tossed the DVD out, rooted the unit, and installed the Android Marketplace.  You can surely use the stock UI (the included menu program will automatically take snapshots of the screen when you exit the emulator if no screenshots exist) if you just want to use the included emulators.  It comes stock with NES, GENESIS, N64, FBA, and some android games.  TigerMAME (which seems to be a port of FBA) works 100x better than MAME4ALL on the Dingoo A380, and works better than FBA on the DA380.
8. QC seems a little lax, the power LED on my unit doesn't light up.  The right shoulder button needed to be worn in before reliably registering (and I fear for its longevity because of this).

The JXD S601 gets an 8 out of 10 overall for retrogaming.
The software and underlying hardware are finally up to the task of emulating the older consoles.
The screen quality is very good for displaying those old games.
The unit size is a compromise between the DA380 (which is really portable) and the JXD5000 (which with a 5" screen you need a rather large pocket to tote it around).  The JXD5000 is hands-down a better portable movie player due to screen size, resolution, and display quality.
Rooting the unit, and enabling wifi allows you to use and SMD client to download ROM images directly from a network share.  The speed wasn't outstanding (pulling around 750K/s when using AndSMB to download stuff), but it was convenient.  The USB -> SD card implementation is finicky (seems to take half a minute or more for the drives to mount), so I recommend using an SD reader on your PC to put images on your card if you have to transfer a lot of files.
It would be a 10/10 retrogaming unit if they would put a good DPAD on it instead of what we have here.  Even the JXD5000 had a 1-piece DPAD which although not the best, was certainly acceptable (and would have brought this unti up to a 9/10).

bamboori

« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2012, 06:44:24 pm »
when i will get mine ill be sure to mod the dpad :D
i ratehr want one like on the genesis or xbox360 controllers.
or at least seperate buttons.

Post a new topic