Author Topic: JXD s192 - Still going strong [Nvidia Games & Steam App?]  (Read 2172 times)

siliconmessiah (OP)

JXD s192 - Still going strong [Nvidia Games & Steam App?]
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:16:14 pm »
So, how is everyone faring with the JXD s192 (Nvidia K1 version) one year after release?

I must say that this device did meet all expectations that I had on it. I have only had minor issues like dropped wifi and orange light, but nothing that a restart couldnīt fix. So with that said. I play on this device almost daily in my bed before I go to bed. I use it only for Nvidia Gamestream from my PC. Very convenient, as I can turn off my PC via Steam Big Picture Mode too.

I have two questions for the people here.

1. Did anyone find any good case or home stand for the JXD s192? If so, please post it here.

2. How did things fare with the custom roms? Can anyone here be able to shoehorn in the new Nvidia Games-App, wich has recently replaced the Shield Hub? It cannot be installed from the Play Store on the JXD s192...as it is not recognized as a tablet. If someone could make a compatible version for the s192, no one could be more grateful than me.

Cheers!

EDIT: Wow, over 50 views and no answers.  :'( I wonder how many JXD s192īs with the Nvidia chip that is actually out there?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:13:09 am by siliconmessiah »

DCXPIG

Re: JXD s192 - Still going strong [Nvidia Games & Steam App?]
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:18:06 pm »
 I'm glad to see there's a working one out there.  My first one came in with a stuck pixel and died on boot, the replacement has a stuck pixel and crashes almost immediately.  Unfortunately I can't get into recovery fully as selecting doesn't work either so I'm stuck... Wish it were different

siliconmessiah (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:10:39 pm »
Thatīs not nice to hear. I guess the build quality differs and the device is nothing being talked about anywhere.
I wonder if LordDavon and Skelton is here and watching?

Mine is working just fine and dandy. Actually, today I installed the custom rom (made by LordDavon or Skelton?) that spoofes it into a Nvidia Shield tablet.

But...the battery bug is still there, even in the custom rom.
I can charge it for hours, but sometimes it just donīt reach 100 percent.
I wonder if it actually IS 100 percent, and it is just showing the wrong stats. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:12:36 pm by siliconmessiah »

LordDavon

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
1. Did anyone find any good case or home stand for the JXD s192? If so, please post it here.

I don't use a case with mine, so I am not of much help.

2. How did things fare with the custom roms? Can anyone here be able to shoehorn in the new Nvidia Games-App, wich has recently replaced the Shield Hub? It cannot be installed from the Play Store on the JXD s192...as it is not recognized as a tablet. If someone could make a compatible version for the s192, no one could be more grateful than me.

Unless I can get a new bootloader on the device, it isn't going to happen.  Their new software isn't working on Android 4, so it will need an upgrade.  I'm happy to do it, but I've only got one device right now.

Since JXD is not really responding to me these days, I'm not getting another device for hacking... unless someone wants to send me one.  I really think the K1 is dead, as far as they are concerned.  They told me that the new version is still on its way, but no details were given.  Maybe I will get their ear once it is closer to release.

LordDavon

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:20 pm »
But...the battery bug is still there, even in the custom rom.
I can charge it for hours, but sometimes it just donīt reach 100 percent.
I wonder if it actually IS 100 percent, and it is just showing the wrong stats. Anyone know?

I'm still here, but not really checking every day.  I'm still working on the S192.  It doesn't have the same priority it used to have though.  Now that the Switch is released, I'm playing a bit too much Zelda too... just to be honest.

As for the battery bug, it should be fixed in the Hackware.  If it isn't, I wonder if something else may be going on with your unit.

siliconmessiah (OP)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 08:04:54 pm »
Nice to hear from you LordDavon. Yeah...I am using your latest beta, but the batteries are still showing the wrong stats.
I am using an official Nvidia Shield Charger for the unit...so maybe thatīs the culprit? I really donīt know.

As you say. The K1 seems to be dead in the water. Still, itīs nice to have one, as long as it stays alive. =)

I wonder if Nvidia and JXD got in some kind of argument over the device.

LordDavon

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 06:28:45 am »
I think Nvidia stopped working with JXD because the S192 could be seen as a competitor to the Switch.  This is just speculation on my part, but I know Nintendo is very protective of their IP.  They would want their partners to be just as protective.

After I flashed the battery fix, I needed to leave the S192 alone for a few hours, while on, to complete its charge.  It didn't hit 100% the first time, if I remember correctly.  It took a few times.  Hopefully yours will work itself out.  If not, I hope it isn't an actual hardware issue.

I still like my K1, but I rarely use it.  It's a project device, since I keep flashing it.  It is hard to use when you are constantly wiping a device.  I have everything backed up, but just never have the time to restore and backup before wiping again.  I do give it a good use it when testing though.

DCXPIG

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:22:31 am »
 LordDavon, I literally bought a S192 to get your rom on it but I haven't had good luck with this model.  I'm on unit #2 right now with original rom, unfortunately I can get into recovery but the vol + worked for about a minute and won't respond any longer.  I've taken it apart but no luck (for me). 
  ANyway, as long as I don't use the unit it stays up and active but within a few swipes, touches or button hits it locks almost immediately.  Do you have any suggestions or is it a lost cause in your opinion?

Thanks ahead of time

siliconmessiah (OP)

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 06:53:41 am »
Well, after hours of playing, I can for certain say that the battery is only SHOWING the wrong stats. Itīs not any fault in the hardware, as the percent is not ticking down at all. So apparently the batteries are fit & fine, but the stats are still in limbo. Will try your advice about charging with the unit switched on later! I always charge with the unit off...

The other thing, about this and the Nintendo Switch. Itīs interesting, as it seems to be exactly the same measures in centimeters. I wonder if the S192 will fit in one of those Switch Cases?

bagmouse7

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 05:21:47 pm »
The 192 is still my go to handheld for emulators and streaming from PC.
The screen and controls are great.

It actually feels like better hardware to me than the switch (I have both).  The build quality is below the big N's, but higher than the standard Chinese device, and I prefer the 192s screen and control layout.

It is a shame that JDX did not continue development of the 192, I find the screen and controls are almost the perfect form factor for a portable game machine.

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:36:41 pm »
I love my Jxd Singularity S192, and use it daily. The only problem that I have is the battery not reading its percentage correctly,and a single dead pixel.
Alienware 18 Sli Gtx 880m
Nvidia Shield Portable
Gpd Xd Red 64gb
Hp Destop Gtx 750ti
Hp Envy Desktop Beats By Dre Amd Graphics card
PlayStation 3 320gb

halljames

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 01:31:10 pm »
Mines in the bin.

The Wifi stopped working which meant it was a wee bit useless.  I opened it up to see if there was anything wrong but I couldnt tell.  I ended up putting it in the bin.

I have a switch now, so have ditched the whole Android/China tablet gamepad thingy.

suave6565

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »
Mine is dead in the water.. I got just few hours of use...mine is stuck on a flash mode and i believe Lordavon was willing to help me out but i never got around to it. Mine just didnt want to power up.. I was in the crapper playing a game..it got hot and i decided to shut it down. Since then, i get an orange light.. Oddly enough, i left it on for a week hoping to drain the system...and nothing.. Just a few weeks ago of months not turning it on...still, i get the orange light. ill revisit this and hope to get help from Lorddavon but now i have a new toy..the gpd win..which i havent really used yet and hopefully it doesnt crap out like the s192.. I may consider getting the newer version but jxd kindve left a bad taste after their lack of support on the last k1 leaving it up those in this forum with the know how to hack it and get it to work properly. Saddly, i only got less than a month of play...when i finally got it, it sat on the side without opening for two weeks than i opened..loaded a few emulators and games then just lightly played with it for about an hour..my 6 year old used it a bit more and loved the screen..then one day...it never turned on. I never got a chance use it.. Ill check tonight as im curious if it drained or gets to the orange light after a few months of sitting in the closet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

LordDavon

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 05:05:22 pm »
LordDavon, I literally bought a S192 to get your rom on it but I haven't had good luck with this model.  I'm on unit #2 right now with original rom, unfortunately I can get into recovery but the vol + worked for about a minute and won't respond any longer.  I've taken it apart but no luck (for me). 
  ANyway, as long as I don't use the unit it stays up and active but within a few swipes, touches or button hits it locks almost immediately.  Do you have any suggestions or is it a lost cause in your opinion?

Thanks ahead of time

Sorry for the [couple months of] delay.  I'm not really sure.  Been trying to get a second unit to really pull one apart and work on bootloaders, but I really haven't touched mine in a long time.  I did find that certain USB3 ports acted strange when connected, so I flashed with a hub attached.  It really helped.

LordDavon

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 05:06:33 pm »
Mine is dead in the water.. I got just few hours of use...mine is stuck on a flash mode and i believe Lordavon was willing to help me out but i never got around to it. Mine just didnt want to power up.. I was in the crapper playing a game..it got hot and i decided to shut it down. Since then, i get an orange light.. Oddly enough, i left it on for a week hoping to drain the system...and nothing.. Just a few weeks ago of months not turning it on...still, i get the orange light. ill revisit this and hope to get help from Lorddavon but now i have a new toy..the gpd win..which i havent really used yet and hopefully it doesnt crap out like the s192.. I may consider getting the newer version but jxd kindve left a bad taste after their lack of support on the last k1 leaving it up those in this forum with the know how to hack it and get it to work properly. Saddly, i only got less than a month of play...when i finally got it, it sat on the side without opening for two weeks than i opened..loaded a few emulators and games then just lightly played with it for about an hour..my 6 year old used it a bit more and loved the screen..then one day...it never turned on. I never got a chance use it.. Ill check tonight as im curious if it drained or gets to the orange light after a few months of sitting in the closet.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Still always happy to help.  I'm LordDavon on Skype, so if anyone needs some help, just give me an add.  Mine was still working the last I messed with it, so I am happy to help where I can.