Author Topic: I don't know how to upgrade my JXD S7800B firmware. Please help!  (Read 10683 times)

Epsilon68000 (OP)

I don't know how to upgrade my JXD S7800B firmware. Please help!
« on: December 15, 2013, 04:26:58 am »
After waiting since December 15, my JXD has finally arrived today. I hear that the firmware that comes install in it is, well bad. So I'm asking help from you guys in figuring out how to properly upgrade it. By help I mean I need you to explain it to me as if I were a 5 year old with maybe some pictures too. I'm THAT clueless when it comes to dealing with gadgets I never delt with before.

I've been enjoying the system so far and I like to get the most out of it and delete some of this bloatware that came pre-install in it.

thank you

Drem

• Russian Android/Dingo/GCW/gaming gadgets blog
Re: I don't know how to upgrade my JXD S7800B firmware. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:07:18 am »
Most simple way:
1. Download firmware archive from here:
http://yadi.sk/d/svKHEN8iDdKGW
2. Unpack it using any archiver like winzip or winrar (google it if you don't have it preinstalled on your PC). You will have one big "update.img" file.
3. Make sure your S7800b is fully charged and microSD card with at least 1 GB free memory space installed in its microSD slot, then connect it to PC using USB-cable.
4. When you plug USB-cable both to PC and S7800b, on S7800b will pop up the connection screen with Android mascot. Tap on Connect button on that screen and mascot will change its color indicating successful connection.
5. Now go to your PC "My computer" and select newly appeared disk - a microSD inside your S7800b. Make sure it's microSD and not internal storage of S7800b (check files, on new or freshly formatted microSD there is no single file). Then put update.img right on microSD's root (in other words, just drag it directly to the SD card in "My computer").
6. On S7800b screen tap again on same button from step 4. When Android mascot changed its color you may unplug USB-cable from your S7800b. Plug in charger.
7. Now system will detect firmware update and will ask you if you want to update. Tap on Yes and just watch the process - it will reboot with animation of Android robot with cog-wheels in its belly and update indicator below. It will take few minutes to finish the process and after it's done, S7800b will reboot as usual and then you may enjoy your new firmware. System will ask you if you would like to delete update file from SD, agree.

qooqoo

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:11:39 am »
I'm trying to upgrade aswell except for the s5110b would that work the same way?

Epsilon68000 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 08:09:06 am »
Success! Thank you so much DREM! I really appreciate this. I had another guy trying to help me on this but there was some screw up at the end which nether one of us knew what it was.

I honestly don't know what this firmware fixed from the pre-installed one but at least it's up to date.

Would you mind now writing the simple steps in rooting the device to remove some of the pre-installed apps it has?
thanks again. :)

Drem

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:38:55 am »
I'm trying to upgrade aswell except for the s5110b would that work the same way?
Unfortunately, I don't have S5110b (I have just s5110), but seemingly it uses different way. You may use "USB" package which contains firmware and burning tool, or "SD" package which has firmware + SD card maker. Here's google-translated readme from "SD" package:
Code: [Select]
The current version runs on win7 may not read the card !

Use this tool description:

1 first insert U disk boot ready made ​​cards , SD cards , CF cards and other removable storage media .

2 Run the tool.

3 In the "Select Disk" drop-down box to select the corresponding card ready made ​​boot disk . ( If the drop-down list is empty, check whether the removable disk
  Has been shown to drive in "My Computer" ? If the letter, re-run this tool after the close of the tool )

4 In the " whether to re- partition and format ? " Counterpart , select "Yes" will put the corresponding repartition the disk , the default information for the U-BOOT
  Reserve size is 16M of disk space , all remaining disk space is divided into an area and call windows format the partition window
  Formatting.

5 . " Select bin file " are you ready to write the corresponding SD card removable disk u-boot files (BIN file )

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Other ways to use this tool :

If you are not satisfied with the default partitioning tool , you can post on their own partitions ( note that the disk is actually u-boot sector is adequate space ) ,
Use this tool to achieve the effect of burning u-boot ( uncheck "Do you repartition and format ? " )
Would you mind now writing the simple steps in rooting the device to remove some of the pre-installed apps it has?
thanks again. :)
S7800b is pre-rooted. Frankly I don't have an enough experience in customization of that kind. If you want to remove bloatware, I may recommend you to try this firmware:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-supercharged-v2-0-oc-reparted-ext2int-cwm-mrktfix/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:40:52 am by Drem »

darklight1138

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »
Hey Drem, does one need to update to the newest official JXD firmware before updating to the supercharged one? Or can I go straight from the box with the supercharged firmware? Thanks, your post was helpful.
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Drem

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »
Hey Drem, does one need to update to the newest official JXD firmware before updating to the supercharged one? Or can I go straight from the box with the supercharged firmware? Thanks, your post was helpful.
It's better to ask SUPERCHARGED's author, TANworks. But assuming he didn't mentioned required version of firmware, it's safe to say it doesn't matter. Just follow TANsoftware's instructions STRICTLY. And don't forget to thank him after.

LuchadorEMC

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:36 pm »
I got my JXD s7800b yesterday from Dinodirect. So far, so good. Can someone please explain what this update does? Also, does the JXD s7800b already comes rooted. Explain to me like I am 5. :-D

Drem

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
1) It brings a lot of minor improvements and some major ones, and considering simplicity of the process I can't see any reason to refrain from update. But I recommend you to try TANworks' SUPERCHARGED.
2) Yes, pre-rooted by default.

I4ntonioI

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 03:01:40 pm »
hey guys, Im also needing to update my firmware, to 4.4.4 from here http://www.jxdofficial.com/firmware but Drem's method didnt work for me. I have the update.img file on the root of my sd card but the 7800 isnt recognizing it. please help.

darkmuted

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 10:18:30 pm »
Most simple way:
1. Download firmware archive from here:
http://yadi.sk/d/svKHEN8iDdKGW
2. Unpack it using any archiver like winzip or winrar (google it if you don't have it preinstalled on your PC). You will have one big "update.img" file.
3. Make sure your S7800b is fully charged and microSD card with at least 1 GB free memory space installed in its microSD slot, then connect it to PC using USB-cable.
4. When you plug USB-cable both to PC and S7800b, on S7800b will pop up the connection screen with Android mascot. Tap on Connect button on that screen and mascot will change its color indicating successful connection.
5. Now go to your PC "My computer" and select newly appeared disk - a microSD inside your S7800b. Make sure it's microSD and not internal storage of S7800b (check files, on new or freshly formatted microSD there is no single file). Then put update.img right on microSD's root (in other words, just drag it directly to the SD card in "My computer").
6. On S7800b screen tap again on same button from step 4. When Android mascot changed its color you may unplug USB-cable from your S7800b. Plug in charger.
7. Now system will detect firmware update and will ask you if you want to update. Tap on Yes and just watch the process - it will reboot with animation of Android robot with cog-wheels in its belly and update indicator below. It will take few minutes to finish the process and after it's done, S7800b will reboot as usual and then you may enjoy your new firmware. System will ask you if you would like to delete update file from SD, agree.

This broke my JXD :C, Only boots up to the JXD logo and nothing works even when resetting the device to factory new. Would like any help with this

Post a new topic