Author Topic: Bricked S7800  (Read 10866 times)

kristianity77 (OP)

Bricked S7800
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:44:12 am »
So I've now got me what looks like a nice paperweight.  I went to flash one ofWebclaws firmwares and it failed along the way.

Now I have a device that will not turn on.  If i connect it to the PC and turn on Rockchip batch tool nothing happens.  If I hold down the power button then Connected Device 1 will turn blue for about 5 seconds and then go back to not connected.  Power with either volume up or down does nothing. Anything I can do with this or is it destined for the bin? ???
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

Re: Bricked S7800
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 04:18:01 am »
im not sure what a blue square means..

So if you do power+vol up for about 3 seconds while connected and batch tool up you don't get anything?
normally you should get a green square.

I had read about there being a problem changing boot loaders between firmware and that the old boot loader needs to be cleared out first when flashing.
Did you use upgrade or recover?

I think recover is needed in a case like this because it wipes out the flash before writing.
Where as upgrade does a dirty flash (just flashes over whats there)

To be honest im not 100% since im going off what i've read, This is my first android device and haven't tried the new kit kat FW's yet so I've not had to run into that problem.

I had read about fast boot it's suppose to work on the lowest level, a bit of rom, or perhaps a protected space on flash.
In fact I think that's what RKbatchtool uses on the backend, If that's not working I don't know what else there is.

EDIT:
OK so a quick google search shows that Blue square in rkbatchtool basicly means "hey im fucked up"
But apparently is still recoverable.

here's what you do.. open rkbatchtool, load up the firmware.

do what ever it is you're doing to get a blue square.. AS SOON as that happens, hit switch button.. then hit recover.
Hopefully that will start flashing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:28:05 am by Joe Sixpack »

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:24:39 am »
im not sure what a blue square means..

So if you do power+vol up for about 3 seconds while connected and batch tool up you don't get anything?
normally you should get a green square.

I had read about there being a problem changing boot loaders between firmware and that the old boot loader needs to be cleared out first when flashing.
Did you use upgrade or recover?

I think recover is needed in a case like this because it wipes out the flash before writing.
Where as upgrade does a dirty flash (just flashes over whats there)

To be honest im not 100% since im going off what i've read, This is my first android device and haven't tried the new kit kat FW's yet so I've not had to run into that problem.

I had read about fast boot it's suppose to work on the lowest level, a bit of rom, or perhaps a protected space on flash.
In fact I think that's what RKbatchtool uses on the backend, If that's not working I don't know what else there is.

When i initially did the firmware upgrade i did it with Recover.  But it crashed half way through.  My device now will not switch on at all.  Power button with vol up or down does nothing at all.  If I connect to PC and turn on Batch Tool then hold down the power button I get a blue square.  Soon as I let go of the power button it disconnects.  But even if i hold on to the power button, it disconnects anyway within about 5 seconds.  I fear this has been one flash too far lol
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:29:39 am »
computer crashed, rkbatchtool crashed? or simply reported back an error?

Looks like we cross posts while I was editing my first post so try what I wrote.
From what I'm reading blue means it's still alive.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:30:11 am »
I saw the blue square thing when I did a quick google.  But it seems that the JXD when in this state cuts off after about 10 seconds regardless.  I can connect it up, switch it to green and start an update, but within 5 seconds it will switch off again.  There doesnt appear to be a way of making it stay on.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:36:21 am »
hmm.. what was your battery level when you flashed is it possible a flat battery?

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 04:39:15 am »
It was fully charged.  From what I can gather, looks like if its getting a blue square, on RK3188 devices the only way around it cutting off after a few seconds is to short a couple of pins on the mainboard to enable it to flash.  Way out of my comfort zone.  Sigh!
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:40:33 am »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:46:49 am »
sounds promising, for a different device but probably applicable if since it's also a rockchip.
sounds like a pita to take it apart and do this though.. I wonder if there is'nt another way.

btw what exactly happen on your first flash, details would be good, I don't think it'll really help us fix your problem but im curious and it might be useful as a warning to others.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:36 am »
Thing is i didnt pay any attention to it when it was flashing as ive done loads so just thought it would succeed like all the others.  It was doing the flash part, got to about 90% and bombed out.  I didnt make note of the error message.  I coud still connect to the device at that point and attempted to write it again but it didnt even start.  I then powered off the device and that was that. 
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 04:57:02 am »
Got it apart finally!

Anyway, for anyone else who totally screws their S7800 up, this is the NAND chip in the RK3188-T

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/58072-locate-tf-boot-pins-29f64g08cbaba-nand-flash-memory.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:22:37 am by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

death-droid

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:23 am »
Got it apart finally!

Anyway, for anyone else who totally screws their S7800 up, this is the NAND chip in the RK3188-T

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/onda-tablet-forum/58072-locate-tf-boot-pins-29f64g08cbaba-nand-flash-memory.html

Hey mate is there  a chance you can give me a run down on how to do this? Sounds like my best bet to get my device fixed since I think ive completely bricked mine :\

EDIT: Well ended up getting into that mask mode :( but however my device still seems completely dead and wont flash any new rom still
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:41:44 am by death-droid »
http://sicktechstuff.com - Android gaming tablet reviews, guides and more

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:14 pm »
Got it apart finally!

Hey mate is there  a chance you can give me a run down on how to do this? Sounds like my best bet to get my device fixed since I think ive completely bricked mine :\

EDIT: Well ended up getting into that mask mode :( but however my device still seems completely dead and wont flash any new rom still

Im pretty much in the same boat at the moment.  I have located the 2 pins that need to be shorted so that it shows up correctly in Masked Mode.  This will allow me to wipe the NAND, but the device wont stay "connected" to the PC long enough to allow me to write anything to it.  I have to hold the power button down for it to connect, but as soon as i let it go it switches off.  Even if i hold the button down, it will switch off within 10 seconds anyway.  So my device is "alive" as it were, but I fear its ready for the trash  >:(

EDIT:

Hooray, somehow, its worked this morning (no idea, I didnt do anything different to last night)!!  :D

Only issue I have now is that I had no idea about how to go from RileyRom 1.2 back to something more stable like Webclaw without bricking my device again. :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:03:03 pm by kristianity77 »
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:25:28 pm »
hey Kris if you still have your unit apart could you take a picture and mark the pins?
might help others in the future I sure hope I never get into this situation.

So I take it you loaded back up the KitKat firmware then?

Well.. take a breather, hopefully the KK's JXD is putting out will improve and you won't need to go back to JB.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 03:36:53 pm »
hey Kris if you still have your unit apart could you take a picture and mark the pins?
might help others in the future I sure hope I never get into this situation.

So I take it you loaded back up the KitKat firmware then?

Well.. take a breather, hopefully the KK's JXD is putting out will improve and you won't need to go back to JB.

Cut a long story short im still having issues.  I can quite easily put the kit kat rom back on it, but In no way is it letting me flash any firmware back on other than this one.  So no Webclaw, no Tans, nothing. 

Your supposed to use the tool Rileyrom comes with (Finless Rom tool V1.37) and erase the nand using this tool.  Then you load up RKBatchTool and flash desired ROM like normal. Except it fails every time (it writes over the firmware to 100% then fails at the last moment and I have a brick all over again.)  So currently, unless I can figure it out, im stuck on KitKat, which is more or less useless.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Joe Sixpack

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:24 pm »
If anyone on this board knows what's going on I bet it's seklton, try sending them a PM.
Short of me duplicating the problem (and Im not even sure it's not just a fluke and can't be duplicated) and trying to work off a solution on my end im not sure how to help.

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:53 pm »
Its actually very easy to solve the problem of a brick in fairness.  The shorting of the NAND is extremely easy.  It wasnt working for me for quite a while but then I figured out that on my device anyway, even with a full charge of battery, it wouldnt work properly unless the AC adapter was plugged in. 

To be fair, the kitkat rom on a basic level is very nice.  The problem is, is that JXD have changed the screen refresh to 66hz (according to retroarch and another app i use)  which causes all emus to be jumpy again.  Why on earth they would change this is beyond me.
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Vimtoman

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »
I think this may be the same solution as posted but here it is anyway. Hope it helps.

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?1892-fix-corrupted-nand-flash-10B-G3-8-gig-version

kristianity77 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:11 pm »
Right, for anyone else that has this issue where you find you are near enough bricked, I've finally managed to get it all working again.

For my device anyhow, it would NOT let me Roll back from Kitkat 4.4 (RileyRom 1.2) to any other firmware without bricking.  They way around it is however quite easy.  Just go from Rileyrom 1.2 to Rileyrom 1.1 (which is Android 4.3 based).  This will then allow you to flash whatever you want as normal with RKbatchtool.

If anyone else ever gets into a near enough total brick and wants to recover.  This is a picture of the inside of my S7800:

http://postimg.org/image/oentwhfnj/

Labelled are the pins you need to short in order to be able to bring your device back from the dead and allow a NAND erase and reflash
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Vimtoman

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 09:47:04 pm »
Well done Kris and thanks for the pic.

Post a new topic