Author Topic: 7800 firmware update procedure?  (Read 6946 times)

Joe Sixpack (OP)

7800 firmware update procedure?
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:21:35 pm »
Apparently JXD has released a new firmware 1.14, they sent Skelton a link
Firmware 1.14:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1g8TZ#dir

No idea what's new. Just ogt the link into my mail (and no idea why they sent that to me)

Being new to android I've got a few questions.

1. what is the best way to update the firmware on the 7800?
.. Failrunner has suggested that SD update method can lead to problems
.. http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800-do-not-use-sd-card-flash-method-for-firmeware-upgrades/

2. Does this also update the recovery firmware? so If I recover later It will revert back to 1.08?

3. How does this effect the Internal SD card partition?

4. What happens to apps? Im guessing playstore apps will reinstall (it seems to keep a list?)
and near as I can tell app sync their data online? is this all play store apps or just those that support sync?
What about sideloaded apps.. Im assuming I'll have to start fresh?

5. What happens to system setting? I have pretty much crawled thru every setting page I can find I'd hate to loose all my settings.

6. How can I backup my current firmware 1.08? I don't think there is a download fo 1.08 since it was what shipped or is there?

EDIT:
BTW here is a full revision history (according ot google translate)
Quote from: readme.txt
tp_1024_update.img as tp 1024 * 600 firmware upgrade
tp_4096_update.img as tp 4096 * 2160 firmware upgrade
Version update:
1 , the latest version of the synchronization
2, update the virtual joystick buttons
3 , update lcd refresh rate
4 , cpu frequency update to improve stability
5 , repair Standby Power
6 , add the boot logo and boot animation
7 , modify the settings icon
8 , curve battery repair
9 Update rocker
10 with the new simulator
11 to improve stability

2013-08-28
12 updates rocker bug
13 headphone detection
14 Delete tf mount
15 update version number

2013-08-30
1 , the update task management display bug
2, update headphone detection bug

2013-09-02
1, the system updates
2, ui dynamic scanning
3 , the navigation bar is hidden functions

2013-09-03
1 , boot animation
2, update ui layout

2013-09-05
A repair screenshot preview is inverted
2 , change the version number is S7800-b-01-V1.00
3 , delete contacts , Speech Recorder, game Emulators, apk
4 , modify the default wallpaper

2013-09-06
1 , remove the camera's flash options
2 , delete the settings location information access
3 , update keymapping.properties
4 , update the battery curve

V1.0.0-0906
1 , restoring people applied
2, modify the button mapping remote synchronization

V1.0.1-0911
1 , corrected camera is the flash icon
2 , Fixed camera cameras , as well as flash options
3 , Fixed panorama shooting , the image is reversed
4 , add YouTube.apk

V1.0.2
1 , delete " urgent request for help can dial the phone ," delete " flight mode "
2 , home to the right of the first screen : the map icon replaced Gamil
3 , the model is set to S7800, is set to disk drive
4 , delete the shortcut GPS switch
5, the system default font size is set to "Large"

v1.0.2-0926
1, the system updates
2, modify the LCD refresh rate of 60Hz

V1.0.3
1 , optimizing the left stick
2, add hide the status bar
3 , updating key update apk
4 , updated dynamic scanning apk name

V1.0.4
1 , shut down the power to solve the charging icon is not displayed bug
2 , changing the direction of the charge off icon
3, delete contacts make calls and send text messages widgets
4 , the production version of the firmware neutral

V1.0.5
1, the system updates
2 , the left stick to optimize speed
3 , the brand name was changed to JXD

V1.0.6
1, the system updates
2 , optimizing the right stick
3 , the fixed position of the right stick to adjust the button mapping perspective
4 , updated version control key update

V1.0.7
1 , modify the headphone detection

V1.0.8
1, update the joystick and button mapping
2 , optimizing the switching speed of the animation default
3 , updated battery curve
4 , updated for the first time only slow charging logo bug

V1.0.9
1, the system updates
2 , remove and use the key mapping Launcher Settings
3 , adjust the rocker blind 20%
4 , add customer needs Russian translation
5 , updates the value of the right stick 2 / 3

V1.1.0
1, the system updates
2 , fix translation errors
3, delete RK System Update
4 , delete format internal storage space options

V1.1.1
1, update the charging curve

V1.1.3
A repair SuperSU can not install su library
2 , optimizing the sound effects
3 , optimization otg
4, the system updates

V1.1.4
1 , a result of bug fix update otg
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:43:09 pm by Joe Sixpack »

Magnus72

Re: 7800 firmware update procedure?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:38 pm »
I successfully updated to 1.14. Haven?t tested a lot yet though.

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 09:05:01 pm »
Well that's good, But can you answer some of my questions? the 78 is my first android.
I wanna make sure I don't F'up the update since SD card update would be easy but seems like might be a problem with that method.

I really don't wanna start from scratch I've spent hte last week tuning my 78's settings and apps.

acid

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:45:32 pm »
Well that's good, But can you answer some of my questions? the 78 is my first android.
I wanna make sure I don't F'up the update since SD card update would be easy but seems like might be a problem with that method.

I really don't wanna start from scratch I've spent hte last week tuning my 78's settings and apps.

Joe I can't answer all your questions but I already updated through the sd card method twice without any problem whatsoever. Your stuff will also remain intact AFAIK.

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 09:42:43 am »
I went a head and updated, It seemed to work have'nt noticed any new problems yet.. but hav'nt tested enough yet.

I can say however that SU / Root is fixed.. you can update the SU from both playstore and inside the app neither give an error now.

I seem to have all my settings not sure if I do a recovery if 1.08 will reinstall or if 1.14 will..

Im hoping this fixes my battery guage that was the primary motivator in updating.

I'll report back any problems / improvements I find in 1.14

Questions above (1st post) remain mostly unanswered though if anyone knows.

stpat

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:39:00 pm »
1. what is the best way to update the firmware on the 7800?
.. Failrunner has suggested that SD update method can lead to problems
.. http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800-do-not-use-sd-card-flash-method-for-firmeware-upgrades/

I've used the SD card method and had no issues. Should be fine doing it this way.

2. Does this also update the recovery firmware? so If I recover later It will revert back to 1.08?

Hmm... not sure. I don't know if the stock recovery is altered by the upgrade method. I believe the updates JXD has been providing are just kernel changes impacting the system partition. To go back to 1.08, you'd have to flash a 1.08 update, or you'd need to make a backup of your system (ie: CWM NANDROID) prior to upgrading.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about ever rolling back to 1.08. Although there's possibly new bugs in the firmware updates, I don't think 1.08 was gold by any means (in *theory*, these should be incremental improvements). I think a lot of concern stems from the fact that people reported that the firmware upgrade to 1.09 resulted in problems for them (for example, people reported not being able to charge after updating), but we don't know for sure it was the upgrade that caused it, I suspect it was coincidence, or some nasty side effect of not having proper root access at upgrade time).

3. How does this effect the Internal SD card partition?

I don't think there's any impact whatsoever.

4. What happens to apps? Im guessing playstore apps will reinstall (it seems to keep a list?)
and near as I can tell app sync their data online? is this all play store apps or just those that support sync?
What about sideloaded apps.. Im assuming I'll have to start fresh?

5. What happens to system setting? I have pretty much crawled thru every setting page I can find I'd hate to loose all my settings.

As you've already discovered, no impact in this case. These updates seem to be dirty flashing kernel fixes, so apps aren't impacted (the upgrade does not wipe the data partition). For the most part, I would say system settings should be preserved as well, but given that it's over writing system data, that may not always be the case.

If you are concerned about this, check out Titanium Backup, it allows you to backup apps+data after full system wipes have been performed.

6. How can I backup my current firmware 1.08? I don't think there is a download fo 1.08 since it was what shipped or is there?

I don't know if there was ever a downloadable update for it. Someone posted in another 7800 thread a link to show how to install CWM. You could install that, and then do a NANDROID backup of your system. That would allow you to roll back to your current state (although you've lost your 1.08 state since you already upgraded).  Again though, I wouldn't personally worry about 1.08. I upgraded to 1.09 immediately, and it has been really solid for me. No issues, no reboots.

Darkhope

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »

Joe Sixpack (OP)

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 09:31:55 pm »
2 new problems i've noticed since updating to 1.14

the notification bar icon for the battery info app sometimes reports 0 on boot, and on waking up from screen off.
I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled and will see if that solves.

WIFI keeps cutting out.. apparently the radio must get switched off when ever the screen is off (I've verified by trying to ping the tablet, it times out when ever screen is off)

The problem is when waking the tablet back up by hitting power button often times the wifi does not return.. or it will take a minute for it to return (even though it says it's connected you can't go anywhere with a browser for example)

Also i've noticed a few times it just drops the wifi completely.. and it will say the AP is not in range.. usually this happens about 1-2mins after waking up from screen off.

turning wifi off and then back on fixes but it's VERY annoying and I did'nt have any wifi problems in 1.08 so this makes me think this is a new issue.

I have my screen set to 2min shut off.. I don't think that's unreasonable but that means if I set it down for 5mins and pick it back up which I often do this leads to a lot of headache.. it does not do it all the time but often enough maybe 10% of the time.

stpat

S7800 FW v1.1.4 wifi disconnects
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 05:19:51 am »
2 new problems i've noticed since updating to 1.14

the notification bar icon for the battery info app sometimes reports 0 on boot, and on waking up from screen off.
I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled and will see if that solves.

WIFI keeps cutting out.. apparently the radio must get switched off when ever the screen is off (I've verified by trying to ping the tablet, it times out when ever screen is off)

The problem is when waking the tablet back up by hitting power button often times the wifi does not return.. or it will take a minute for it to return (even though it says it's connected you can't go anywhere with a browser for example)

Also i've noticed a few times it just drops the wifi completely.. and it will say the AP is not in range.. usually this happens about 1-2mins after waking up from screen off.

turning wifi off and then back on fixes but it's VERY annoying and I did'nt have any wifi problems in 1.08 so this makes me think this is a new issue.

I have my screen set to 2min shut off.. I don't think that's unreasonable but that means if I set it down for 5mins and pick it back up which I often do this leads to a lot of headache.. it does not do it all the time but often enough maybe 10% of the time.

I haven't noticed the battery issue (might be happening and I just haven't noticed), but I'm experiencing the same wifi problems. I can be sitting on top of my wireless router and sometimes it will disconnect reporting it's out of range. I'm considering rolling back to 1.0.9 if it gets to be too much of a pain (we should report the problem in the "S7800 feedback thread" started by willgoo.)

For the record, my experience with 1.0.9 was that it never turned off wifi. Anytime I'd turn the screen on (via the power button), I'd find the wifi fully enabled and connected. I played with the wifi settings to make sure I had it set to never stay connected when sleeping, but it made no difference. I used "better battery stats" and it reported that wifi was staying active all the time, so I downloaded the app "better wifi" and was using that. In conjunction with 1.0.9 things were working great.

Given that we're seeing wifi disconnects with 1.1.4, it leads me to believe they've been tinkering with the wifi code (perhaps trying to address the fact that wifi wasn't sleeping in 1.0.9?)

Can someone still running 1.0.9 check to see whether their wifi is turning off when their tablet sleeps?