Author Topic: [S7800b] ScummVM Point and Click goodness!  (Read 7346 times)

Timber (OP)

[S7800b] ScummVM Point and Click goodness!
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:32:00 am »
Hey guys, I haven't heard anyone mention using this emulator, so I'd like to mention it, and for some of you
introduce Scumm point and click adventure games.

Surely you've heard of the classic series by Lucas Arts, Monkey Island, starring the hilarious Guybrush Threepwood?
Let me tell you, if you've never played these games before and enjoy a good laugh, try them out. Comic book style,
beautifully animated point and click adventure games. Mystery, puzzles, comedy. They're like interactive books, and did I mention the majority of them have full vocals? The Rom sizes are also pretty small considering the amount of dialogue.

I use ScummVM as my emulator, and it just works, beautifully. Below are some screenshots, I highly recommend giving this emulator and games a shot.

Here's the link for the emulator: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.scummvm.scummvm

Here's a link to the needed plugins for various game compatibility: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=ScummVM

Here's a very handy link to the full game list, and list of needed rom files required per game: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

You all know where to get the games. Thrift stores.

A few games installed and working 100%

A strange place to put the option, but check this box to enable direct touch which is awesome for these type of games.
Edit: After some testing, I prefer the default mouse movement, but try it out for yourselves.

Day of the Tentacle.

The Curse of Monkey Island.
Tips:
Double tap and hold for the Use/Talk/Examine menu.
Tap with two fingers to open your inventory.
Press and hold the JXD physical menu button for Keyboard shortcut.
Press the JXD physical back button to skip Scene.

Full Throttle.

Sam and Max

Hope you enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:19:01 pm by Timber »

Kev7112001

• !
Re: [S7800b] ScummVM Point and Click goodness!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:52:22 am »

Timber (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 01:15:00 am »
Hahaha, good one.

Bargaintuan

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 01:43:41 am »
I've heard nothing but good things about these games. It's too bad LucasArts closed down. Not they they were at the top of their game recently, but you always want to see a company like that come back with something spectacular, and it looks like they might have been on that road with the new Star Wars stuff they were working on. Sadly, we'll never know.

At least these games are still around to enjoy.

Pleng

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:48:56 am »

A strange place to put the option, but check this box to enable direct touch which is awesome for these type of games.

Umm are you sure that's the right box? AdLib and MIDI have nothing to do with input

Timber (OP)

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:50:45 am »
Yeah I'm certain, you're correct it's in the wrong section, but this is where the documentation for the android port says it is, and it works like a charm, lol.

Volcano

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 02:14:01 am »
yeah definitely a great addition. i have playedd and replayed and REPLAYed over and over most of lucasarts games, beautiful stuff. a must have.

and for those that didnt play grim fandango like me, they are making an emulator for it that im using and works great!. in the futureit will also play escape from monkey island (the 3d version) and myst 3.

http://forums.residualvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=222

also timber is correct, thats the box to enable touch, they just didnt want to waste time making it a separate box XD
S7800B. Webclaw

Timber (OP)

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 02:16:43 am »
Nice I'm gonna test Grim Fandango right now! I was hoping it would play on ScummVM but afraid not, thanks for the link. ;D

Pleng

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 03:01:47 am »
Yeah I'm certain, you're correct it's in the wrong section, but this is where the documentation for the android port says it is, and it works like a charm, lol.

??? Not only is it in the wrong section, it's labelled completely incorrectly. You would think the dev, if he knew about the issue, would fix it!

darklight1138

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 03:32:47 am »
These games work well with a mouse too.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was one of my first computer games. Man, that was a long time ago!
GP2X Wiz
GPH Caanoo
Yinlips YDPG16
JXD S7800b (WebClaw 116.5 ROM)
Sony PSP-3000

Pleng

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 03:42:25 am »
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was one of my first computer games. Man, that was a long time ago!

Haha me too. Before even we knew about running "mouse.com" to enable the mouse in dos games, so we played the whole thing moving the cursor with the keyboard. Made the Grail Temple seat-of-your-pants stuff :)

Got it in a double pack with Zak McRaken and the Alien Mind-benders

Volcano

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 07:49:31 am »

??? Not only is it in the wrong section, it's labelled completely incorrectly. You would think the dev, if he knew about the issue, would fix it!

heh, its not about them not knowing, scummvm for android is a port of scummvm for the pc, its not polished but gets the job done, they intentionally made the midi box work for touchscreen cause making a new section and adding the box is a lot of work when they only need to port the engine, not modify it XD
S7800B. Webclaw

Pleng

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 08:10:48 am »

heh, its not about them not knowing, scummvm for android is a port of scummvm for the pc, its not polished but gets the job done, they intentionally made the midi box work for touchscreen cause making a new section and adding the box is a lot of work when they only need to port the engine, not modify it XD

No... it's just lazy. There's plenty of ways they could have put it somewhere that would make sense. In fact it probably would have taken more time to attach the code to that tickbox than it would to have done to add a separate tickbox under 'misc'.

Timber (OP)

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 11:18:24 am »
It is weird and lazy imo, I agree Pleng, if I were to port it to android and add a touch screen feature, I would certainly label it correctly. Regardless, it's there and works.

Just to note, you can use the thumbsticks for movement but it's very slow and feels like drawing with an etch-a-sketch.

hippy dave

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 01:28:50 pm »
ScummVM is a masterwork, as are many of the games. Good shout.

Timber (OP)

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 04:11:10 pm »
Well after testing a lot of games, all with 100% success and full FPS for the most part, I have to say I'm very pleased. Also I'd like to mention the touch feature turns out to be not as good as the default mouse cursor, it's just easier to investigate things that way. Takes some getting used to but it's a lot of fun once you figure out the double tapping and controls for each game.

Grim Fandango runs awesome too on the s7800 using ResidualVM as mentioned above.

Here's an updated game list of mine, all are great.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:24:19 pm by Timber »

kristianity77

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 05:55:46 pm »
Not meaning to sound dumb here but am i right in thinking that you can normally get a few versions of each game.  I remember discworld being available which was much smaller in size and a bigger version available with speech.  Discworld 2 for example, does scumm run the full talkie version?
Gaming Stuff owned:

PSVITA (OLED) with 64GB
PS4

Timber (OP)

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »
You're right, most Scumm games were released on multiple platforms including, Windows DOS/CD, Amiga, Atari, Mac..
ScummVM will accept all formats for the most part, Discworld 1/2 in particular will accept these files:

Discworld
DOS Floppy
*.GRA
*.IDX
*.TXT
MIDI.DAT
INDEX

DOS CD
*.IDX
*.GRA (if exists)
*.SCN (if exists)
*.SMP
*.TXT
MIDI.DAT
INDEX

Discworld 2: Missing Presumed ...!?
DOS and Windows CD

*.BMV
*.CDP
*.MUS
*.SCN
GDATA
HOPPER
INDEX
SAMPLE.BNK
Rename ENGLISH.SMP on CD1 to ENGLISH1.SMP (English version)
Rename ENGLISH.TXT on CD1 to ENGLISH1.TXT (English version)
Rename ENGLISH.IDX on CD1 to ENGLISH1.IDX (English version)
Rename ENGLISH.SMP on CD2 to ENGLISH2.SMP (English version)
Rename ENGLISH.TXT on CD2 to ENGLISH2.TXT (English version)
Rename ENGLISH.IDX on CD2 to ENGLISH2.IDX (English version)
The aforementioned files can also be named FRENCH(.SMP/.TXT/.IDX) in French versions, GERMAN(.SMP/.TXT/.IDX) in German versions or US(.SMP/.TXT/.IDX) in US English versions

You can find this info here, by clicking the games. http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

EDIT: Yes, it runs the full talkie versions. ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:10:20 pm by Timber »

Volcano

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »
Yes scummvm runs full talkie, and honestly id rather have them spend more time making it run perfect, as it does, than polishing the looks
S7800B. Webclaw

Pollux

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:56 am »
Just one note:
If you haven't tried that, changing graphics to "Amiga" turns games like Sam & Max smoother.

Post a new topic