Author Topic: UselessRS97 - Custom Firmware for the RS97  (Read 70589 times)

Nikojiro

Re: UselessRS97 - Internal firmware for the RS97
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 04:33:46 pm »
Flashing went ok, I just tested a coupe things very quickly: SORR seems to run fullspeed, GnGeo also seems a lot faster (Metal Slug) and generally the display seems a lot clearer (no more flickering).

I need to test more stuff but obviously this CFW is performs much better than 97Next!

Kudos to gameblabla for this great release, and definitely hoping that CFW development efforts will converge on this project.

papapito

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 08:02:47 pm »
Is this software running the "old" gmenu2x or the new gmenuNext?

I'll give this a try either way!

VanZan

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 09:19:05 pm »
GmenuNext.

mr_boddy

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:55 pm »
Now that I've created my forum account, I want to first thank gameblabla for putting together this great release for the RS-97. Thanks!

Question: I can't seem to get selector aliases for rom lists to work. I'm creating text files in the format:

Code: [Select]
Adventure Island (USA, Europe)=Adventure Island
But in GMenuNext, I can't select the text file (browser doesn't see it). Is there a different file format I should be using? I tried XML.

xiongxioi

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2018, 03:22:01 pm »
Hi, gameblabla, sorry to bother you again, but, I just tested a bunch of emulators, genesis, pce, gb, gbc, gba all work really well. Maybe beside a few strange menu keys.

However, the nes emulator is just atrocious, sorry to use that word, but it is seriously kinda bad.
It seem to run at a low speed, there's a strange filter on screen when you set ratio anything other than original, it feels extremely choppy, and it can sometimes just refuse to work randomly (getting down to 10fps on Mario).
FCEUS just seems like a really terrible emulator.
GP2x's gpfce was really great, it doesn't have as many features, but it is really well optimized, and smooth. maybe we should switch to that.

PS: also, when the machine freezes sometimes (when I tried to launch adams family on Ohboy), can I somehow shut it down without resorting to battery removal? Power button seems to not be working in games.

VanZan

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 03:27:50 pm »
There's a reset hole in the bottom right corner. Couple of people have done reset mods.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2018, 04:28:47 pm »
It seem to run at a low speed, there's a strange filter on screen when you set ratio anything other than original, it feels extremely choppy, and it can sometimes just refuse to work randomly (getting down to 10fps on Mario).
That is very strange because it runs very smooth for me and mario runs at 60 FPS. Maybe something else is at play ?
(I even demonstrated the NES emulator in my first video)

PS: also, when the machine freezes sometimes (when I tried to launch adams family on Ohboy), can I somehow shut it down without resorting to battery removal? Power button seems to not be working in games.
Press L+R+Exit to access the menu in Ohboy.

Question: I can't seem to get selector aliases for rom lists to work. I'm creating text files in the format:
Can't help much sadly but pingflood made a post here about rom aliases on GmenuNext.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/gmenunext-(gmenu2x-fork)-new-releases/msg180134/#msg180134

Already guys, i admit that i'm busy working on a new version of SMSPlus and right now i'm making sure F-16 Falcon works properly on it.
Once i fix that game, i'll fix the emulators so they use the power button and then look around at porting a better NES emulator.

Nikojiro

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2018, 04:32:24 pm »
Great news!

I installed today the Service Pack #4, now I'm one happy bunny with a working FBA!

Would you consider porting snes9x so we can play Far East of Eden Zero (which has a RTC clock chip). Also Genesis Plus GX would be great, there was a GCW Zero port. This one can play Pier Solar! Ans yes as you may have guessed I'm a major JRPG junkie  ;D

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2018, 05:54:58 pm »
Would you consider porting snes9x so we can play Far East of Eden Zero (which has a RTC clock chip).
PocketSNES should be able to emulate it (except for the RTC clock chip...). I won't port a newer Snes9x because it's already slow as it is and even Snes9x Next was proven to be too slow on the GCW0 so imagine the RS-97...

Also Genesis Plus GX would be great, there was a GCW Zero port. This one can play Pier Solar! Ans yes as you may have guessed I'm a major JRPG junkie  ;D
Picodrive 1.92 (which is also featured in my firmware) should be able to run Pier Solar.

chevette

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 06:11:33 pm »
Just installed this new firmware. Thanks gameblabla for your work on this. So far the only problem I'm having is that dingux-2600 freezes when exiting the emulator. Have to push the RS97 reset button to restart the unit. Thanks for the new Stella emulator......it works very well and is faster than dingux-2600. Thanks again!

xiongxioi

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2018, 01:58:11 am »

That is very strange because it runs very smooth for me and mario runs at 60 FPS. Maybe something else is at play ?
(I even demonstrated the NES emulator in my first video)

Maybe something has screwed up my installation? Not sure, my pocket snes' menu is also behaving strangely.
I agree with you on the pocket snes thing, it's already working pretty well, don't see the immediate need to port anything to replace it.

The thing with the nes emulator is that even if it's telling me it's running at 60, its graphics is still very choppy, as if there's massive frame skips. Fire up contra, and do rapid fire, I can only see 3 bullets on the screen with the default weapon. Whereas on my pandora, there's about 7 to 8 bullets. SMB is the same, jumping doesn't feel right. Should I reinstall it?

Anyway, you should work at your own pace. I think it can work itself out eventually.
PS: the other GB emulator is really good, even though it doesn't have a ton of options. It's silk smooth.

Yan

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2018, 03:27:30 am »
I replaced the GMenuNext to the latest version, which was the 18/07/2018 build. Then the RS97 froze at the splash screen.

Am I the only one who had this issue?

Kaje

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2018, 03:33:23 am »
I replaced the GMenuNext to the latest version, which was the 18/07/2018 build. Then the RS97 froze at the splash screen.

I had the same issue, I thought I was just doing something wrong.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2018, 05:26:29 am »
I have released a newer service pack (Service Pack 5) with a performance fix for reGBA.
You can also trigger the menu in that one by pressing the Power button.
It also contains the newest update to GmenuNext.
It is recommended that you apply this service pack if you play GBA games.

Also, the newer GMenu2x is only compatible with firmware 1.2, forcing me to drop support for older versions. Please upgrade...
(Do let me know if you are stuck on an older firmware)

@Yan, @Kaje, guys, do not install binaries for the older firmware.

The binary is only for 97Next and it is incompatible with my firmware. The incompatibility is intentional and is due to UselessRS97 using musl rather than uclibc.
I am making sure that all the binaries are working fine on the firmware. Thus, it is not recommended that you use external binaries.

For the newer GmenuNext, download the service pack instead and apply it. Thank you

EDIT: Just realised my GmenuNext couldn't mount it as USB storage due to missing patches. I have reuploaded Service Pack 5 to fix this... More reasons to trust me
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:43:36 am by gameblabla »

HercTNT

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2018, 06:43:03 am »
I have installed service pack 5.1 and tested more stuff. Things of note to point out on my v.1 unit:
Temper will not load any cd or rom. Unlike jutleys firmware there is also no clear place to put the syscard files.

Picodrive will not load cd's same as temper. No clear place to put bios file. I have put them in the emulator directory but their is no .xxxx directory for either emulator which was the place to put these files before.   

Mame4all has got progressively worse. It loses rom directory after every attempt to play a game. It also now runs some roms upside down and they go into a loop. in particular mutant turtles in time.

ecwwolf requires search for game files upon every start.

chocolate files do the same.

C-dogs looks and sounds great. awesome fix.

Opentyrian is faster and smoother than ever.

Regba is noticeably smoother with service pack.

In all, getting better all the time. As before, i wonder if their is a difference between how different models peform as some emulators like mame run very wonky on my machine.

Yan

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2018, 07:04:15 am »
I have released a newer service pack (Service Pack 5) with a performance fix for reGBA.
You can also trigger the menu in that one by pressing the Power button.
It also contains the newest update to GmenuNext.
It is recommended that you apply this service pack if you play GBA games.

Also, the newer GMenu2x is only compatible with firmware 1.2, forcing me to drop support for older versions. Please upgrade...
(Do let me know if you are stuck on an older firmware)

The binary is only for 97Next and it is incompatible with my firmware. The incompatibility is intentional and is due to UselessRS97 using musl rather than uclibc.
I am making sure that all the binaries are working fine on the firmware. Thus, it is not recommended that you use external binaries.

For the newer GmenuNext, download the service pack instead and apply it. Thank you

EDIT: Just realised my GmenuNext couldn't mount it as USB storage due to missing patches. I have reuploaded Service Pack 5 to fix this... More reasons to trust me

I just patched the SP5, and it seems that FBA doesn't work. It crashes after launch and returns to the desktop.

Kaje

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2018, 12:20:24 pm »

Thanks, I just got my rs97 yesterday so I wasn't quite sure.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2018, 12:55:37 pm »
Alright, after finding many other issues with GMenuNext last version (such as hidden file extensions, seemingly breaking backward compatibility with link files), i have decided to revert to last version of GMenuNext for the time being for Service Pack 5.2.
It is sadly causing me a huge headache but hopefully i can put it back again in the future...

I also have fixed some issues with Temper & Picodrive .
Please upgrade to Service 5.2 if you have any issues with current firmware.

Picodrive will not load cd's same as temper. No clear place to put bios file. I have put them in the emulator directory but their is no .xxxx directory for either emulator which was the place to put these files before.
That folder should be created after you use a game with picodrive.
You need to place your bios files in /mnt/int_sd/.picodrive. (create it if it does not exist)
However i did notice that it cannot load CD games unless you use its internal CD loader again.
I fixed this for Service Pack 5.2.

ecwwolf requires search for game files upon every start.
chocolate files do the same.
Yup, it's intentional in case you have several games like Wolfenstein, Spear of Destiny, Doom 2, Doom, freedoom, any IWADS etc... and you want to play each of them.

Mame4all has got progressively worse. It loses rom directory after every attempt to play a game. It also now runs some roms upside down and they go into a loop. in particular mutant turtles in time.
Well that's surprising to hear because Since service pack 4 or so, i don't have this issue anymore. Does the power switch exit to the ROM selection menu for you ? Does anyone else have this issue with Mame4all as well ?

I just patched the SP5, and it seems that FBA doesn't work. It crashes after launch and returns to the desktop.
@Yan you need to reboot after applying a Service Pack. (It does this if you don't reboot) Then it will work again.
I haven't done any changes to FBA since then.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:00:48 pm by gameblabla »

Kaje

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2018, 02:46:48 pm »
I can't seem to get it to mount over usb on windows or linux.  It keeps popping up and disconnecting on linux and then just giving errors on windows.  Is there a trick to it?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2018, 04:11:50 pm »
I can't seem to get it to mount over usb on windows or linux.  It keeps popping up and disconnecting on linux and then just giving errors on windows.  Is there a trick to it?
The USB cables provided with the consoles are faulty and will randomly break like this. Grab one from a local store or something or a PSP cable, they are much better built...

Service Pack 5.0 also had broken USB mounting. I only made it available for like 10 minutes before i removed it and fixed it but it's possible that you still managed to download it...

Post a new topic