Author Topic: UselessRS97 - Custom Firmware for the RS97  (Read 70585 times)

gameblabla (OP)

Re: UselessRS97 - Internal firmware for the RS97
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 09:08:14 pm »
Things that need work first: Mame4all loses its rom directory after closing a game.
I have already fixed that but you need to apply the Service pack 3 to it. I haven't updated the firmware images yet so they don't have the latest updates yet. See first post

]It also suffers the occasional black screen when exiting a game as well.
That's because it pauses the game (you pressed L+R). You need to press it again to unpause it.
L+R+Start is for quitting the game. I think we need better controls for Mame4all, like using the brightness button instead.
Anyone agrees with that ?

]Dumbsnes runs slower than pocketsnes, is less accurate (as stated) and has worse sound.
It does seem to run slower on Super mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Those games are blacklisted because people were constantly complaining to me about graphical glitches on those, even though i recommended them PocketSNES for them...
I'm still working on improving performance on SNES emulators so it's not over.

Uniracers runs much faster on DumbSNES but i think most people should use PocketSNES before trying it on DumbSNES.

]Psx4all does not save global settings for games
I don't think it did so on the old firmware ? I may have to check this.

Glad to hear it's more responsive. As we figure out IPU, it will be even more so !

pingflood

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:41 pm »
That's because it pauses the game (you pressed L+R). You need to press it again to unpause it.
L+R+Start is for quitting the game. I think we need better controls for Mame4all, like using the brightness button instead.

@gameblabla, if you plan to change the button press to open menu or exit games, I would like to suggest using the Power button instead of brightness button, due to the following reasons:

1. When there's a new user, they always get stuck trying to exit emulator. No one ever thought in using brightness button to pop up a menu. In case of panic, people always tend to press the power button instead. That would make people realize by it's own means how to exit an emulator.

2. In the future, if we get custom Kernel working, we may add system wide functions like brightness control. Then you don't have to patch all emus again.

My two cents.

HercTNT

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 10:19:54 pm »
Things that need work first: Mame4all loses its rom directory after closing a game.
I have already fixed that but you need to apply the Service pack 3 to it. I haven't updated the firmware images yet so they don't have the latest updates yet. See first post

]It also suffers the occasional black screen when exiting a game as well.

]Dumbsnes runs slower than pocketsnes, is less accurate (as stated) and has worse sound.
It does seem to run slower on Super mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Those games are blacklisted because people were constantly complaining to me about graphical glitches on those, even though i recommended them PocketSNES for them...
I'm still working on improving performance on SNES emulators so it's not over.

Uniracers runs much faster on DumbSNES but i think most people should use PocketSNES before trying it on DumbSNES.

]Psx4all does not save global settings for games
I don't think it did so on the old firmware ? I may have to check this.

Glad to hear it's more responsive. As we figure out IPU, it will be even more so !

I did install the service pack 3 so i'm not sure what happened. Mame4all had the new sound options as well although it did not seem to do much. that being said i cannot overstate how much snappier the overall gui is. if i have time i will run more stuff tonight.

Nikojiro

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 02:08:18 pm »
This looks really nice, and I'm tempted to flash it. I indeed have some stability and performance issues with 97Next.

Couple questions, though, before I start:

- Does CPS2Emu also play CPS1 games? I tend to use FBA quite a lot
- How do you apply the Service Pack? Simple file copy?

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2018, 05:34:54 pm »
- Does CPS2Emu also play CPS1 games? I tend to use FBA quite a lot
CPS2Emu only plays CPS2 games for now. The emulator it's based on however does support CPS1 games... However, i couldn't (for now) make CPS 1 games or even make it compile properly for that matter...
Mame4all plays most CPS1 games like Final Fight & Mercs, however they run a bit too slowly.... (even CPS2Emu runs faster)
Hopefully it's something i can look into.

- How do you apply the Service Pack? Simple file copy?
Yeah, you mount the FAT32 partition, you grab the files inside of the folder update_pack (that is found in the Service pack's zip) and you overwrite them over the existing files. Simple. (should be at least, i hope that's not too confusing)

I managed to compile Steward's kernel with his new enhanced driver and will report back. if it succeeds then we'll be able to support IPU. (and solve the many issues we currently have...)

dinosaw_act

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2018, 06:02:23 pm »
Ideally, we should port Alekmaul's stella or David Knight's port of Stella instead. No offense but the menu code for ZX81's stella port is pretty poor and prone to bugs... (Seems to be a common issue with his emulators, it's only mostly fixed in dingux-msx i think)

I've done an initial build of Alekmaul's stella port (https://github.com/alekmaul/stella) for the new firmware.

http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/rs97/stella-rs97.7z

Bob Fossil

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2018, 08:43:16 pm »
I've done an initial build of Alekmaul's stella port (https://github.com/alekmaul/stella) for the new firmware.
http://www.thefossilrecord.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/rs97/stella-rs97.7z
Bob Fossil
Thanks, however it doesn't to work, just the usual go back to the menu... Share the sauce maybe ?

dinosaw_act

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2018, 10:52:34 pm »
Well, it's working here. :)

You can grab the code from my github page.

Also managed to get FBA up and running. Again the source is on github.

HercTNT

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2018, 11:38:33 pm »

Amazing work, ty. If you guys could find a way to get srb2 working and fix openjazz i will create a statue in your honor ;)

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 12:52:29 am »
Alright, after recompiling both from source, they both work as they should.
Excellent job, Bob fossil ! FBA runs even slightly faster than it did on steward's firmware.
It also runs CPS2 games faster than CPS2Emu.

Stella-OD is not perfect but will suffice for now and is currently better than the 2600 emulator we have...

Also, since he used SoftStretch rather than double lining, it should work well over TV out as well.
I have updated a new Service Pack 4 that adds FBA, Stella-OD to the mix. If you wanna try those then grab it !

xiongxioi

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 02:26:23 am »
Hi, gameblabla, I love your build so far, much better emulators, and much much more responsive UI. Makes the console actually usable.
I have one request though, can you remap the nes emulator's buttons? I would much prefer to quick save with L, and quick load with R. Maybe you can map the menu button to the brightness button just like the pocketsnes emulator does.

Actually, doing a bit of universal control mapping would be wonderful, just mark the brightness button as the universal menu button for all emulators would be huge!

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 04:27:42 am »
I have one request though, can you remap the nes emulator's buttons? I would much prefer to quick save with L, and quick load with R.
I guess that could be done, i'll look into it.

Maybe you can map the menu button to the brightness button just like the pocketsnes emulator does.
It was suggested before that the menu button should be the power button instead. However on some consoles, i noticed it is kind of sensible... The brightness button is hard to reach. Should do that ?

Nikojiro

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 06:45:16 am »
I really like the brightness button used for calling the emulator menu on PocketSnes. The fact that it's a little harder to reach is actually good IMO, you won't press it inadvertantly in the middle of that hairy boss fight  ;)

Nikojiro

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 07:20:09 am »
One more question, is it possible to patch this firmware with the external drive loader? This would allow to load 97Next also.

xiongxioi

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:08 am »
It was suggested before that the menu button should be the power button instead. However on some consoles, i noticed it is kind of sensible... The brightness button is hard to reach. Should do that ?

thanks for the reply, that would massively improve the nes emulator.
as for the menu button, yes it's a bit out of reach,but you almost never have to call for the menu unless you are in the game setting up phase. putting it out of reach can actually reduce mis-clicks.

anyway. so far so great, keep up man

Yan

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 08:39:50 am »
I was trying to flash this firmware to the original tf card by using etcher. However, it noticed me that the drive had "Insufficient space, additional 46.14 MB required".

What am I suppose to do?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:41:44 am by Yan »

xiongxioi

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 08:58:01 am »
I was trying to flash this firmware to the original tf card by using etcher. However, it noticed me that the drive had "Insufficient space, additional 46.14 MB required".

What am I suppose to do?

Thanks!

you should probably get a larger card. RS-97 can take cards up to 128gb, but they have to be in fat32 format.
my setup is: an old 8gb card to install the firmware, and a 128gb external card for storing the roms.

gameblabla (OP)

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 11:45:51 am »
What am I suppose to do?
Thanks!
Use Win32DiskImager instead. I guess Etcher cannot handle this corner case.
I'll remove it from my recommendation...

One more question, is it possible to patch this firmware with the external drive loader? This would allow to load 97Next also.
Yes, it is possible but patching it on Windows is almost impossible. I'll release external images for both versions.

Nikojiro

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 01:05:31 pm »
Yeah, you mount the FAT32 partition, you grab the files inside of the folder update_pack (that is found in the Service pack's zip) and you overwrite them over the existing files. Simple. (should be at least, i hope that's not too confusing)

Thanks for this kind reply! It's not confusing at all, no worries. Just asking questions as spare time is scarce, so ... Anyways I'm currently flashing your cfw, just couldn't resist because SORR seems so fluid on your showcase video, when it runs like cr*p on 97Next (no offence to jutley  :P).

Nikojiro

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 01:08:34 pm »
Use Win32DiskImager instead. I guess Etcher cannot handle this corner case.

Etcher is a very reliable tool though, and if you're running Linux as I am, I'd say it's probably your best choice these days. You'll just have to format your SD card to a single FAT32 partition beforehand (I use GParted for that), then flash the cfw image with Etcher.

Post a new topic