Author Topic: Universal Firmware Patcher for PAP KIII Plus 4 Gb, 16 Gb and Gopher 2.  (Read 39642 times)

blackz1982 (OP)

Here it is the automated Kernel patcher Firmware for PAP KIII Plus 4 Gb, 16 Gb and Gopher 2.
It is based on mix Custom Arcade Mini Firmware version 1.0 and 1.32 with my small addition.

Thank's to all the devs that made this possible Steward-fu, ping_flood, gameblabla, if i missed anyone sorry too many to list here.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bnmlSwa9l2yISQ0JpG8vx9T1ZNki5soh

How to use:

1. Download the universal patcher and unpack to your pc anywhere.
2. Read "how to use.txt" and follow instruction.

Fixpack for Gopher 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gpxcnTQC3KVFQp5sj_VdsdlH_hknjPVq
How to use: Unpack contents on internal Sd with replacement.

What's inside:

Emulators :
PocketSNES, Handy, Oswan, FCEUX, FBA-A320, SMS_SDL, GPSP, Picodrive, PCSX4ALL, Speccy, BK Elektronica, PokeMini and Vice.
Games :
Quake, Quake 2, ECWolf, Puzzletube, Snowman, Wizznic, Ganbare, Cannonball, Cave Story.
Apps :
Dingoo Commander, Mplayer.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:38:28 pm by blackz1982 »

gameblabla

Re: Universal Firmware Patcher for PAP KIII Plus 4 Gb, 16 Gb and Gopher 2.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:27:34 am »
2) Add roms for Cannonball.
There's a reason why the roms are not provided by default : They are copyrighted by Sega. I would suggest you remove them...

3) Add game resources Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein SOD in folder Ecwolf.
4) Add full game resource for Quake.
You need to be careful with those too. They have shareware versions (SOD has a demo available) so use those when possible.

5) PCSX4ALL it is used with own hand compiled from repo "senquack" (it is faster in my opinion) with mapped buttons L2, R2 on Volume down, Volume up(PAP K3 PLUS) and Z, C(Gopher 2).
Ah, interesting. I didn't know that the volume buttons were GPIO mapped to. What are they mapped to ?

Also, i didn't know the Gopher 2 was a thing until now. This is definitely interesting, i didn't know it was using an Ingenic SoC. Some said the resolution of this thing was 360x240 but looks like it's 480x272 just like the PAP.

Also, stock PCSX4ALL is not faster than steward's fork, although it is more accurate. The reason why is this :
https://github.com/arcade-mini/pcsx4all/commit/2518dd335168beff8d90ad99528301eaaa3ea08a

Btw, i am aware of the issues with the current firmware for the Arcade Mini. I am going to rebase it around RetroFW, as it supports automatic resizing of the FAT32 partition.
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

blackz1982 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:35:39 am »
5) PCSX4ALL it is used with own hand compiled from repo "senquack" (it is faster in my opinion) with mapped buttons L2, R2 on Volume down, Volume up(PAP K3 PLUS) and Z, C(Gopher 2).
Ah, interesting. I didn't know that the volume buttons were GPIO mapped to. What are they mapped to ?

Volume Down - SDLK_1, Volume Up - SDLK_2. 

Also, i didn't know the Gopher 2 was a thing until now. This is definitely interesting, i didn't know it was using an Ingenic SoC. Some said the resolution of this thing was 360x240 but looks like it's 480x272 just like the PAP.

Ingenic JZ4760, 480x272, 64 Mb RAM.

Also, stock PCSX4ALL is not faster than steward's fork, although it is more accurate. The reason why is this :
https://github.com/arcade-mini/pcsx4all/commit/2518dd335168beff8d90ad99528301eaaa3ea08a

PCSX4ALL from repo "senquack/pcsx4all" faster in branch "dynarec_work_part3" than "master" branch and faster than version in your firmware.
I checked in Carmagedon at identical settings.

gameblabla

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:01:47 am »
PCSX4ALL from repo "senquack/pcsx4all" faster in branch "dynarec_work_part3" than "master" branch and faster than version in your firmware.
I checked in Carmagedon at identical settings.
Yes, senquack's branches are faster but i'm sure you'll notice that save states are also broken.
At least they definitely were when i used this branch instead : https://github.com/senquack/pcsx4all/tree/dynarec_work_part4
Do they work on part3 ? If it does, then it's definitely something i need to try on the RS-97.
You might want to merge steaward's specific MIPS code to it as well as profile the code using the interpreter. (it won't work with the dynamic recompiler)
Doing so will improve the speed of C/C++ code.
TLDR; -fprofile-generate=/home/retrofw/profile if you wanna give it a try, then recompile with -fprofile-use with the gcda files in the makefile's directory

Volume Down - SDLK_1, Volume Up - SDLK_2.
Good to know. Thanks. Btw, share your source code on github or gitlab.

Aw, like the PAP K3 Plus, including the RAM amount.
⚠ WARNING ⚠
If you are using any of my forks, emulators or ports, you are being influenced by propaganda !

blackz1982 (OP)

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48:33 am »
Good to know. Thanks. Btw, share your source code on github or gitlab.

https://github.com/blackz1982/pcsx4all 
Yes in branch "dynarec_work_part4" broken saves but in "dynarec_work_part3" it works.

Aw, like the PAP K3 Plus, including the RAM amount.
No, in PAP K3 Plus 128Mb RAM.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:51:25 am by blackz1982 »

ravishankarrs

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 06:54:07 pm »
This image works fine in PAP KIII Plus 16GB.  Is it possible to play doom, doom 2 games in this device?  Can you please guide me on how to install these games in this device.

Appreciate your help and suggestions on this.

gameblabla

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:09 am »
This image works fine in PAP KIII Plus 16GB.  Is it possible to play doom, doom 2 games in this device?  Can you please guide me on how to install these games in this device.

Appreciate your help and suggestions on this.
I have not ported Chocolate Doom yet (nor Doom Legacy) so you can't play Doom on it yet.
I did port Quake 2 and an updated port of Quake for the arcade mini but he didn't update his CFW accordingly. Maybe he will though once he feels that the improvements are significant enough.
⚠ WARNING ⚠

blackz1982 (OP)

Update firmware to the almost version 1.32 arcade-mini

Jutleys

How to install this on a new gopher device ?

blackz1982 (OP)

Flash with official flasher or if in your gopher internal sd then disassembled gopher and flash on sd card.

Отправлено с моего LLD-L31 через Tapatalk

Jutleys

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 06:23:26 pm »
Is it easy to disassemble and video?and how to tell which models have internal nand or sd?

VanZan

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 07:23:48 pm »
Newer models are nand....mine is a nand. It's worth noting that the flash tool is also compatible with Windows 98, 2000 and XP.

What I did was install XP into Virtualbox and used that. Make sure you also install the correct driver. You need to connect the device by usb while holding down START. Then turn on the unit and then let go of START.

Be aware that the flash tool gets stuck at 91%.

Jutleys

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 10:30:06 pm »
I have windows 7 on virtual box when you say the correct driver you mean 32bit or 64bit yes and the drivers with the burn tool yes do you have a pic how to flash this latest image file in the burn tool what to select in it ?Also do you have a link to the flasher tool for gopher 2?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:36:22 pm by Bitboy »

VanZan

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:45 pm »
This link has the flashing tool and a pdf guide but it's in Russian....Google translate should help:

https://yadi.sk/d/0jkB_V64DYu3hg

Obviously you should ignore the bin file and use the img from the patcher instead.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 10:55:40 pm by VanZan »

cloudstr

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:16 am »
Dear blackz1982, I wonder if you have finished the Firmware Patcher for Gameta 2 ? I would be glad to provide a testing on my device and report the results back.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:07:43 am by cloudstr »

menancewhite

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 05:22:29 pm »
I tried this on a new pap K3+. It runs the JZ4760B and honestly, there is a lot that needs to be ironed out.

FBA doesn't seem to run better than the built in emulator from stock FW.
GBSP doesn't have any scaling mode or any options besides savestates. It has all the options if you run it without any rom loaded yet only shows savestates or exit when run with a gba rom.
One of the sega console emulators is straight up broken, the image is not centered and stretched oddly.
The Volume + and Volume + has been binded weirdly, vol+ increases brightness and vol - does nothing. They are bound as broken speedhack buttons or something in the emulator. There is no way to change the game volume when you launch a GBA game and you are hit with blearing ear rape because sounds is on 90% volume by default.
The power button could be bound to displaying menu like it is on the stock image.

gameblabla

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 07:42:13 pm »
FBA doesn't seem to run better than the built in emulator from stock FW.
And believe me, it does. It could run better but the stock emulator was completely awful in this regard.
What games are you trying to play ? CPS-1 games are running smoothly for me.

GBSP doesn't have any scaling mode or any options besides savestates. It has all the options if you run it without any rom loaded yet only shows savestates or exit when run with a gba rom.
Yes, the menu had to be downgraded as original menu would crash games and also because reGBA doesn't work on JZ4760B. Tony refused to give me the source code for his fixed reGBA version so i'm stuck.
Also scaling options for the GBA on the PAP K3 Plus, Arcade Mini and PAP Gameta II are COMPLETELY POINTLESS.
Sorry to point out that.

GBA's resolution is 240x160, K3 Plus and Arcade Mini's resolution is 480x272. This is almost a perfect match to the GBA's original resolution and trying to make it look different to that makes it look even worse. (In the case of the Gameta, it is exactly double the resolution)

One of the sega console emulators is straight up broken, the image is not centered and stretched oddly.
Are you talking about Picodrive or SMS Plus GX ? If you are talking about SMS Plus GX, then you can easily change the scaling options in the menu by pressing Select.
If you are talking about Picodrive, then it automatically upscales fullscreen.
Are you using Picodrive for Master system games ? If so don't, use SMS Plus GX.
Master System emulation on Picodrive is woeful.

Not sure what emulator you are talking about.

The Volume + and Volume + has been binded weirdly, vol+ increases brightness and vol - does nothing. They are bound as broken speedhack buttons or something in the emulator. There is no way to change the game volume when you launch a GBA game and you are hit with blearing ear rape because sounds is on 90% volume by default.
It's based on my Arcade Mini emulator so these buttons are only mostly used for L and R buttons in the PCSX4ALL emulators.
(They are also accidently mapped to other keys on other emulators)
I could add volume options for increasing sound volume via the +/- buttons in some emulators but honestly that would be a maintenance burden... It would greatly help if these devices had kernel source code but there's none.

The power button could be bound to displaying menu like it is on the stock image.
Yup, it's mapped by default as some emulators are also used on the RS-97. Should this be even addressed still given that we have no kernel source for the PAP ? (on Arcade Mini, this does nothing)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 07:49:31 pm by gameblabla »
⚠ WARNING ⚠

menancewhite

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:30 pm »
Thanks for the quick replies.

For the GBA I just wanted to play it on original res.

I can't check which emulator I was talking about on sega systems as I went back to stock image and reassembled the device. Ill check it later when I get time.

furythepro

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 10:48:59 pm »
FBA doesn't seem to run better than the built in emulator from stock FW

To be honest, I find it waaaaaaay smoother compared to the stock one.
Even big roms like Art Of Fighting 3 run with no lag, and they look super.

My big problem is that I can't find a way to play fullscreen with Neogeo games.
When I launch them using FBA, it runs with the original resolution, and it's so tiny it's almost impossible to play.

Is there a way to play FBA games in fullscreen mode?
It's the only emulator with this problem, so I tought maybe I'm missing something?

I even tried with a mame rom (Snow Bros) and it works on the FBA, but still, super tiny resolution... :(

Help :D

Edit: another problem I had today was that the menu went randomly from a normal "full screen" size with the big bar on the bottom, to a "only top left of the screen" (with the big bar on the left), half the size of the "full screen" that I had before.
I tried every setting, it won't come back to normal.
Any guesses? :)

I'm attaching 2 pics, one of the Neogeo problem, and one of the small menu screen.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:08:19 pm by furythepro »

gameblabla

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 12:36:03 am »
I'm attaching 2 pics, one of the Neogeo problem, and one of the small menu screen.
The small menu screen is an error specific to the PAP KIII port, i don't know what blackz did...
This would require both changes to the config file and source code wise too. My arcade mini port did not have this issue,
i'm surprised that blackz did this.

As for FBA's scaling issue, damnit guys i am aware it...
There's no way for now to fix it as i have not added it : this is intentional as scaling it as such would make it run slower.
I have a solution for that but unfortunately this emulator makes it much trickier by having support for 20+ different resolutions.
So wait
⚠ WARNING ⚠

Post a new topic