• HomeBoards
  • RulesRules
  • HelpHelp
  • WikiWiki
  • Donate

Author Topic: Showing previews/screenshots in GMenuNext  (Read 5996 times)

m1024 (OP)

Showing previews/screenshots in GMenuNext
« on: June 29, 2018, 11:01:38 am »
Hi everyone,

I noticed that the preview feature (split view) of GMenuNext is a bit hidden and that there is no standard or tutorial people can follow easily. So I wrote a short guide on how to download rom screenshots and show them in GMenuNext:

ROM preview guide on GitHub

The result should look like this:
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

VanZan

Re: Showing previews/screenshots in GMenuNext
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:26:21 pm »
Is also possible to get cover art rather than screenshots using this process? Also will this work for the PyMenu firmware?

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:20 pm »
Yes! You can get previews like the attached one, if you simply set 'Options' > 'Visual' -> 'Visuel type' to 'MIX'
If you just want 2d box art, select simple visual type first and then 'Options' > 'Visual' -> 'Default visual' -> '2D Cover'

If you want a completely different layout, you will have to play with the RS-97.xml file. It's a stripped down version of the Recalbox.xml file to prevent UXS from downloading and writing all the metadata (rating, description etc.). You could create a copy of RS-97.xml and try out different options.

Edit: If you don't need some crazy custom layout, you don't need to mess around with the profile xml or the mix profiles!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:23:49 pm by m1024 »
Make sure to update your skins (PS4, PSNext, PSNextDark, OldBoy and Zelda) with the latest version from time to time:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/low-res-skins-for-gmenu2x-oldboy-zelda/

VanZan

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:55 pm »
Great thanks!

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:32 am »
Here is a updated mix template, where the screenshot has full width.

How to use it:
- copy 'RS-97 (3img).zip' file into the 'Mix' directory
- go to Configuration -> Mix -> Change your mix image profile
- select RS-97 (3img)

Just found out, that you can download other mix profiles directly from UXS:
- Configuration -> Mix -> Download...
- my favorites: ComicBook, New Standard, Standard (2img)
- after changing the mix profile, you must set the image size back to 128x128
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:25:55 am by m1024 »

VanZan

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 07:11:00 pm »
I spent a bit more time with this today and figured out why the handful of roms I had couldn't scrape a preview. It seems the Univeral XML Scraper is a bit fussy when it comes to game names with subtitles. For example "F-Zero" for the GBA wouldn't scrape a preview pic until I named it "F-Zero - Maximum Velocity".

So if you're having trouble getting the art for a particular game, check Google to see if it has a subtitle and use a hyphen to add it.

Now if I could only solve "Zelda 4 Swords & Link to the Past" AND "Final Fantasy Adventure" preview pics I'd be complete!

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 07:28:37 pm »
You can choose how the roms are matched to the games: There are options to use CRC, filename and both. Not sure if CRC+filename is implemented as AND or OR, but each option can give different results: Correct CRC and different filename vs. different CRC and similar filename...

ace9094

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 06:16:54 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the tutorial...

I am having a few issues, when I scrape for covers it hangs on the first title it finds, when I cancel it the software says "Found no roms"

I have followed the guide to the letter... I already have a bunch of Boxart and screenshots etc, however I have no idea where they go.

I tried ROMS\Megadrive\ Previews for example...

I also tried to placing a preview folder in the ROMS\.picodrive for example.

Could someone please advice where the artwork would go ?

Many thanks
ace 

Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 07:46:32 am »
Hi, please try the following:

1) When no roms are found, you should check the list of file extensions in the config:
If you have bin files in your /Megadrive folder, you should add "*.bin" to the list. Even some common ones are missing in the default config.

2) You can place the previews wherever you want, as long as you select that folder in the link settings of GMenu (I prefer a subfolder in the rom folder to keep everything separated, but it can also be the rom folder itself).
The file names must match exactly, which is not always the case, if you didn't scrape your boxart from you own set of roms.
"alex kid.bin" and "alexkid.png" will not work
"alexkid.bin" and alexkid.png" obviously will  :)

ace9094

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:42:36 pm »

1) When no roms are found, you should check the list of file extensions in the config:
If you have bin files in your /Megadrive folder, you should add "*.bin" to the list. Even some common ones are missing in the default config.

2) You can place the previews wherever you want, as long as you select that folder in the link settings of GMenu (I prefer a subfolder in the rom folder to keep everything separated, but it can also be the rom folder itself).
The file names must match exactly, which is not always the case, if you didn't scrape your boxart from you own set of roms.
"alex kid.bin" and "alexkid.png" will not work
"alexkid.bin" and alexkid.png" obviously will  :)

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate  it... I have all the box art and arcade flyers etc. I will look at the GMenu Config and try to start putting something together :)
Dingoo A320, GCW0, RS-97 x2, Revo-K101, RS-90, PSP, GameGadget, New 3DS 128GB, PS Vita 200GB, RS-45, Gamebox Advance and a few other obscure devices

ace9094

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 11:38:05 am »

You can place the previews wherever you want, as long as you select that folder in the link settings of GMenu :)

Hi m1024,

Sorry to bother you again... I have created a folder called "Boxart" on my SD Card My Paths are for example:

D:\Roms\Snes\Mariokart.smc
D:\Boxart\Snes\Mariokart.png

I have been trying to find the "Link Settings" for GMenu so I add paths for the preview folders which I have created.

I assume its based on this http://wiki.gp2x.org/articles/g/m/e/GMenu2X.html but must be blind as I cannot see the "link Settings" section  :o :-X :-[

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 02:58:02 pm »
@ace9094 It's a lot easier than you think  :)

- select an item in GMenu
- press SELECT to bring up the link context menu
- confirm 'Edit ...' with A
- go down to 'Selector Screenshots' and press A
- select your directory of choice  8)

ace9094

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 12:42:29 pm »
@ace9094 It's a lot easier than you think  :)

- select an item in GMenu   
- press SELECT to bring up the link context menu
- confirm 'Edit ...' with A
- go down to 'Selector Screenshots' and press A
- select your directory of choice  8)

- select an item in GMenu   PEREFCT
- press SELECT to bring up the link context menu PERFECT
- confirm 'Edit ...' with A PERFECT
- go down to 'Selector Screenshots' and press A PERFECT
- select your directory of choice I PRESS A to confirm and it goes back to previous directory :( 

DOH.... Press START to confirm the new directory and START again to exit editor, if you press B the changes are not saved  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

You my friend are a STAR !!!  Thank you very much indeed
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:25:21 pm by ace9094 »

jamesensor

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 07:33:29 pm »
Does it work for mame or fba?
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

m1024 (OP)

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 11:05:18 am »
@jamesensor It should work for mame and fba.

Just tried it with my fba folder and it found 100% of the first 100 roms before I cancelled it. I think the fba emulator requires bmp previews instead of png in order to show them in the file list (configuration/advanced/pictures).

Post a new topic