Author Topic: Retrogame Plus Custom Firmware v1.0  (Read 2375 times)

ferriws

Re: RS97 Plus Custom Firmware
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 03:35:35 am »
Anyone with a retrogame plus want to try my cfw image but with no emulators your on your own unless someone tries to re port some  this is aimed at developers only
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qtk3fdpM3m4aheFel02Wdlfcs0-02LBs/view?usp=sharing

make sure you back your stock fw first

Do you have stock fw backup?

romanaOne

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 07:05:00 pm »
So the included emulators are in a pretty rough state?

I tried them and this is what I got:

gpsp does not work at all? Am I missing something? All I get is black screen.
gpsp works if you enable gmenu file selection dialog by pressing select on the gpsp icon and choose your ROM directory.
Looks tolerable, but colors are a little too bright.

fceux works well enough, sound is MUCH better than the ofw NES emulator.

ohboy works well enough, but you have to enable border image to stop horrible tearing. With this kludge, it works better than the OFW GBC emulator. (There doesn't have to actually be a border image, just enable it.)

Pocketsnes runs, but there is no way to select a ROM file. Is there a workaround?
Just enable the gmenu file selection dialog by pressing select on Pockectsnes and choosing the directory where your snes games are. Scaling does not work, but original snes resolution doesn't look too bad.

Picodrive runs roms, but file selection is difficult and the image doesn't fit, it's larger than 320x240.

File selection problem can be worked around as above, but I can't find the setting to change screen resolution (if there is one).

(Don't really care about PSX emulator; PS1 games are pretty but no fun.)

If SNES and GBA are working, really this console would do almost everything I need.

I really like the huge battery and stick.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:00:09 pm by romanaOne »

romanaOne

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2019, 06:08:21 pm »
Is there a git repo for this firmware or maybe someone has a virtual box image of a Linux system with the toolchain preinstalled? If not, what do I need to install to get this stuff built? (I mostly use Arch Linux.)

Did getting gpsp, fceux, ohboy,etc. to work require much porting  on RS97plus or was it just trivial Makefile editing? I wanna see if there is any more err, low-hanging fruit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:10:59 pm by romanaOne »

romanaOne

Re: Retrogame Plus Custom Firmware v1.0
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 04:30:31 pm »
Thankyou for getting ext_sd to automatically mount; it didn't work in the previous version.

ScummVM doesn't start. Not sure I would want to try to play Sierra games with no keyboard....

fceux crashes with a black screen after a short amount of gameplay. I don't think it was doing that before because I had enough time to get to the second level of super mario bros 3. The system is hung after the crash and you have to hit reset.

gambatte starts and then dies a few seconds after the titlescreen. Tried multiple games.

Other emulators seem fine. Commander file manager works ok, too.

ohboy (Not included, I copied it from the previous version) still works for GB/GBC games.

colem, vice (c64), and stella (atari 2600) binaries from Useless1.6 (for RG v3.0, I think) almost work: the resolution is not quite right and the bottom part of the screen is missing. Might be easy to fix?

btw, it is easy to read/write files from/to the .img files using Mac Mojave. Simply double click them and the disk image will mount.  You can also easily mount .img files in Linux if you have KDE (use dolphin file manager). I've forgotten exactly how to mount disk images on /dev/loopN from the command line but it is also possible. This can save a lot of time you would spend waiting for dd or windiskImagewhatsit to rewrite your uSD card, especially if all you want to change is just one file or folder.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:37:40 pm by romanaOne »

blackz1982

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 04:56:28 pm »
Thankyou for getting ext_sd to automatically mount; it didn't work in the previous version.

ScummVM doesn't start. Not sure I would want to try to play Sierra games with no keyboard....

fceux crashes with a black screen after a short amount of gameplay. I don't think it was doing that before because I had enough time to get to the second level of super mario bros 3. The system is hung after the crash and you have to hit reset.

gambatte starts and then dies a few seconds after the titlescreen. Tried multiple games.

Other emulators seem fine. Commander file manager works ok, too.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DhE_1xWonSsr3PszZJuvTJELhulDMmhS Try original version not repacked by jutleys.
Everything works for me.

romanaOne

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 07:19:22 pm »
Thank you! Your image works perfectly. It also has very nice gmenu backgrounds that change with the selected emulator.

Why are people "repacking" it?

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 07:00:14 pm »
Guys if you have trouble with emulators crashing or not starting try to clock down the cpu speed i set default to 666

riverinwoods

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 09:19:41 pm »
Hi Jutley Could the gpsp be ported to ldk or rs97 as ipk?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:21:37 pm by riverinwoods »

Stoofa

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 11:00:02 am »

I wouldn't hold out any hope for that. The hardware isn't powerful enough.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 11:02:22 am by Stoofa »

gameblabla

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 11:09:56 am »
That's a lot of shit though. GPSP certainly is doable. The issue is that it is completely utter crap compared to ReGBA.
However i need reGBA's newer fixed source for it to work on the RS-97 Plus firmware and Tony has refused to share the fixed source code with me again... (the older source code still crashes on JZ4760B)
There won't be any ports of either unless Tony provides me with a copy of ReGBA's source code.

riverinwoods

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 11:46:36 am »
That's a lot of shit though. GPSP certainly is doable. The issue is that it is completely utter crap compared to ReGBA.
However i need reGBA's newer fixed source for it to work on the RS-97 Plus firmware and Tony has refused to share the fixed source code with me again... (the older source code still crashes on JZ4760B)
There won't be any ports of either unless Tony provides me with a copy of ReGBA's source code.

That sux... keep hearing how bad it is, it?s just that gpsp was able to play games regba wouldn?t? I remember being able to switch between emus and was surprised that gpsp was doing that, because at the time like now we all wrote gpsp off....so did I, until I realised it ran some of these other games

Stoofa

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 12:40:32 pm »

Whoops, my bad. I focused on the PSP part without remembering its a GBA emulator. I'll go and stand in the corner and think about the stupid thing I've said :)

romanaOne

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 02:37:00 pm »
Whoops, my bad. I focused on the PSP part without remembering its a GBA emulator. I'll go and stand in the corner and think about the stupid thing I've said :)

"gpsp" is a confusing name for a GBA emulator. Yeah, yeah....history and whatnot.  I guess the name could be worse: "mednafen" and "higan"  are probably worse emulator names in that they give absolutely no hint of what they do.

ceratophyllum

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 11:59:27 pm »
I think all of ZX-81's dingux emulators will work with the RG plus. dingux-colem, dingux-2600, and dingux-ti99 work well enough.   I'm not ZX-81. I don't even know who ZX-81 is. Might help a few other people feel better and stop  kicking themselves for buying the RG plus....

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/categories/100-Emulators
Current-ish Handhelds: All (3)DS(i) (XL) models, OpenPandora
Classic Handhelds: All GB(A) models
Knockoff: retromini, Atgames "ultimate" atari2600, genesis, Revo K101+
----------
Should never have sold that GCW0...doh!

ceratophyllum

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 01:55:45 pm »
I found the source code to the dingoo A320 version digger laying around and compiled it for the RG Plus cfw.

Most of the dingoo binaries at openhanhelds are dynamically linked with uClibc and will not work with the current retrogame plus cfw which uses a different libc.  (ZX-81's emulators and games are statically linked, which is why they will work.)

Can't attach zips so I renamed it to PDF.

Current-ish Handhelds: All (3)DS(i) (XL) models, OpenPandora
Classic Handhelds: All GB(A) models
Knockoff: retromini, Atgames "ultimate" atari2600, genesis, Revo K101+
----------
Should never have sold that GCW0...doh!

Jutleys

• Retrogamers97-90
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 02:45:14 pm »
Thanks i will add this to the next release of firmware we need more releases so i hope i can get more devs interested in porting stuff. But your contribution is very appreciated and thank you keep the ports rolling in :)

Post a new topic