Author Topic: RS97 always crashing  (Read 265 times)

greasehoot (OP)

RS97 always crashing
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:15:16 pm »
Hi there. I have the RS97 2.1 old model with latest Useless cfw. I have had this problem on every release of Useless: Game boy games crash to black screen while playing from time to time, usually at a boss fight lol. When this happens I always have to remove the battery as it becomes unresponsive.
My other problem is with GBA roms. It doesn't matter which emulator I use, eventually it will crash back to the main screen. So annoying! I've been using my PAP and Retro Arcade in the meantime for GB and GBA games because it's just so frustrating when it crashes midgame  without warning.
Does anyone know what I should do? Is this a problem on anyone else's device?
Thanks!

beldandy561

Re: RS97 always crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 03:35:11 am »
im sorry your having issues

I only have some theories to offer as too why this is happening no concrete proof.

a couple thoughts, first is that i know the 2.1 models have issues running GBA under REGBA, from what ive read it just doesnt work.

as for the GB stuff i have not read any issues on that system randomly crashing. 

My second thought would be a 2 part thought.  1st its possible that your file system on the Micro SD card being used for the firmware 1.6 is corrupted and/or was not flashed correctly and using another Micro SD card flashed with 1.6 would be my first suggestion.

2nd thought is that the Pack-IN Micro SD card that came with the unit is cheap Chinese Crap and NOT reliable I would NEVER use it as my primary source for the CFW for the RS97.  when i purchased mine and recieved it i immediatly took out that card and saved it as an original firmware backup and purchased some reliable 32gb SanDisk cards from Best Buy to use internally and externally.

so i would try flashing a reliable quality Micro SD card with FW1.6 and try that first and see how that goes for you and not use the pack in cheap memory card that came with it. once that is done re-evaluate your issues if there are any or new ones appear.

let me know how it goes.

riverinwoods

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 04:15:57 am »
Yea only thing I can think of and adding to beldandy561 comments..the firmware/sd flashing are very temperamental...I also have the old version 2.1 and had various problems with crashing, standby not prompting back on with power button, emulators not running, black screening etc.. I found that the corruptions would eventuate while transferring roms or files from pc to device, either the USB might get slightly bumped or the drive is not thoroughly and properly ejected, files not transferring properly, then other times it seemed to be just the flashing itself. However by sheer persistence after maybe 3 or 4 image flash retries I can get it running smoothly, how? I dunno, temperamental I guess (not exactly top o the line quality hardware lol)....so possibly a reflash on next update or something like that...also don?t forget to save your game save folders somwer before reflashing....got to disk 3 of 4 in ff iv and well yea just don?t forget to save anything u wanna carry over...also try different rom set of gb?s as well maybe?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:17:53 am by riverinwoods »

beldandy561

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 04:28:11 am »
one other thought that popped in my head is that i am running my roms unzipped except for the MAME titles.  I know it uses up more space but you may want to try running your games unzipped if you are usually running them zipped.  this can cause random issues on some emulation devices that dont expressly mention running zipped roms. 

just another thought

greasehoot (OP)

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:39:37 pm »
Wow thanks for the responses people! I have flashed using etcher, an old 3ds 4gb SD. I have flashed this latest time only once so maybe I'll try reflashing. Maybe I'll also try unzipping as was mentioned and see if that lends any stability.
I'm waiting for Useless on the RS97 pro so I can move on from this buggy little 2.1
Thanks again and will update if I find any of the suggestions get me anywhere!

beldandy561

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »
when flashing CFW 1.6 note that a 4gb Micro SD card is the smallest card recommended for holding both the CFW and some roms.

I would also NOT fill up this card as the software generally needs some space for caching files when running emus and games.  If at all possible Leave AT LEAST 500MB free for caching space.  preferebly 1gb.

I suggest using that old 3ds 4GB card as a test basis for your new flashing experiment.  Once you have confirmed that this is working i would upgrade to a larger card based on what you plan on storing on the card.  Like a 16gb or 32gb of BRAND quality.