Author Topic: RS-97 Neogeo emulation with V15 firmware  (Read 1120 times)

orinoco77 (OP)

RS-97 Neogeo emulation with V15 firmware
« on: October 25, 2018, 11:36:57 pm »
Hi,

I've just got myself an RS-97, and installed the V15 firmware from https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90. Before I did this, I was careful to copy the roms off the old SD card so I could put them back once I'd got the new firmware up and running. So far so good, the new firmware is awesome, and runs SNES and Megadrive stuff much better than the stock firmware. Big tick.

What's not so good is the Neogeo games from the stock firmware now don't work at all, not in Final Burn Alpha, nor Final Burn Alpha GCW0 (??) , nor gngeo. I did some googling, but I can only assume that I'm not googling the right terms somehow, because nothing I've found seems to relate to my situation. I have a bunch of .fba files, from the original rs-97 firmware, that worked perfectly with that firmware, and now aren't even recognised by the available emulators. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction and let me know what, if anything, I can do to these to make them playable. From what I've read, it seems I might possibly need a neogeo.zip file (which I managed to get, but which didn't seem to help), and I might possibly need specific versions of roms, in zip files, rather than this lot of .fbas I've got now. I also found some roms that were in .mvs files. I have no idea what they are or what they're for, but they were claiming to be neogeo roms. Neither .fbas nor .mvs files were recognised by any of the emulators on the rs-97.

If there's a doc somewhere I can read about this stuff, that would be great. Everything I've found seems to assume you already somehow know what you're doing.

Sorry to ask what must be complete newbie questions, but I've searched for 3 days now, and got nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.

sirdrak

Re: RS-97 Neogeo emulation with V15 firmware
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 12:40:30 pm »
Hi,

I've just got myself an RS-97, and installed the V15 firmware from https://jutleys.wixsite.com/retrogamers97-90. Before I did this, I was careful to copy the roms off the old SD card so I could put them back once I'd got the new firmware up and running. So far so good, the new firmware is awesome, and runs SNES and Megadrive stuff much better than the stock firmware. Big tick.

What's not so good is the Neogeo games from the stock firmware now don't work at all, not in Final Burn Alpha, nor Final Burn Alpha GCW0 (??) , nor gngeo. I did some googling, but I can only assume that I'm not googling the right terms somehow, because nothing I've found seems to relate to my situation. I have a bunch of .fba files, from the original rs-97 firmware, that worked perfectly with that firmware, and now aren't even recognised by the available emulators. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction and let me know what, if anything, I can do to these to make them playable. From what I've read, it seems I might possibly need a neogeo.zip file (which I managed to get, but which didn't seem to help), and I might possibly need specific versions of roms, in zip files, rather than this lot of .fbas I've got now. I also found some roms that were in .mvs files. I have no idea what they are or what they're for, but they were claiming to be neogeo roms. Neither .fbas nor .mvs files were recognised by any of the emulators on the rs-97.

If there's a doc somewhere I can read about this stuff, that would be great. Everything I've found seems to assume you already somehow know what you're doing.

Sorry to ask what must be complete newbie questions, but I've searched for 3 days now, and got nowhere. Any help would be appreciated.

You need the ones from 0.2.97.39 FBA romset

orinoco77 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:21:35 am »
Thank you. Do I have to look for them in a specific format? Do I need zip files, fba files or something else? I presume the files I've got at the moment are now useless, yes? Sorry again, the other emulators I've used just use rom dumps in their own particular format, and it doesn't matter what version of the emulator I'm using. I'm guessing the Neo Geo stuff is different because there's more going on in the "ROM" and less in the electronics (or emulator) around it.

Thanks for the answer! I'll see what I can find.

orinoco77 (OP)

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 12:12:26 am »
Thanks. Found and obtained the right romset and things are a lot happier.

jamesensor

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:39 pm »
On useless v16 somehow Neo geo emu started to give me this error:

Gneo couldn't init pbobblen:

Parent /mnt/int_sd/roms/neogeo/pbobblen.zip not found

Maybe the romset you're using is too old.

They used to work. I don't understand.. anyone knows what's going on?
PSP 3000 | PSP Go | Ps 2 | Xbox Original | Ireadygo Much i5 | Aurora II | Pipo w2f | Tonsmart Vega S-89h | Lenovo K3 Note | Tronsmart Draco H3 | Raspberry Pi 2

irdetocam

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:25:39 pm »
Hello ,I have the same problem , When i use Neogeo I only can read  the massage " Maybe the romset you're using is too old , I try different Romsets , but I can't fix it. Can anybody help? Thanks

Post a new topic
Post a new topic