Author Topic: RS-97 Mod Factory  (Read 10878 times)

bartimeaus (OP)

RS-97 Mod Factory
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:25 pm »
This is a collection of links to mod ideas with status etc etc. Perform these hardware mods at your own risk. There may or may not be any documentations as to how to perform the mods. For most mods you will need to be good with your hands. There will be overlaps since some of us have posted about multiple mods done.

Last updated: 18/04/2018 (PM me if I left out anything)

List of Mod Ideas
#1) Dual Speakers (there might be solder points for a second speakers under the DPAD)
#2) EXT to micro usb or USB-C (either charging only or with data connection as well)
#3) Add a battery life LED indicator that is toggled with a button press
#4) Battery capacity increase (requires case to be modded)
#5) Button swap with N3DS
#6) Button complete tactile overhaul with electro pads (makes buttons clicky)
#7) Magnetic battery door to facilitate easy default battery swapping
#8) Wireless QI charging
#9) LED trigger buttons (will require tiny soldering of SMD LEDs to the audio jack, by default will be bright therefore a resistor is suggested)
#10) Pulsing led indication when charging (Requires the addition of a PWM circuit board connected to the default charging LED points, Mylar film/sheet for diffusal)

List of Current Mods done
#1) Button reset mod
jutley's mod
Localhorst86's mod

#2) Button silicone conductive pad mods
jutley's mod
C0unt_Zer0's mod

#3) Shoulder buttons tactile feel mods
C0unt_Zer0's mod

#4) Battery capacity mod
Steward's insane 4220mAh mod
C0unt_Zer0's 4000mah mod
Bartimeaus's 2400mah Battery mod with intact housing

#5) Internal SD card redirect to GBA "cartridge" slot mod
Stewards redirection mod

#6) EXT port to UART mod
Steward's UART mod

List of mod resources
#1) Battery (Baidu forum battery solder points, Possible dimensions and notes)

#2) Hardware LED battery level indicator (Youtube simple circuit tutorial)

#3) Amplifier board for stereo speakers (eBay Amp Board)

#4) Shoulder button LED mods (PS Vita LED Video, PSP Sound Reactive LED,Solder resistors to LED, Determine LED polarity)

#4) Teardown reference by steward
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 06:14:20 pm by bartimeaus »

s0ren

Re: RS-97 Mod Factory
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 03:23:02 pm »
One of the screen protector "mods" could also be useful:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/rs-97-screen-protector/

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:25:23 pm »
One of the screen protector "mods" could also be useful:
https://boards.dingoonity.org/ingenic-jz4760-devices/rs-97-screen-protector/

Yeah but it's more of an accessory than a mod

hiei

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 05:10:09 pm »
Indispensable thread! I am going to add in the "Ultimate" RS-97 Guide.

However would be interesting to add more content, let me explain: for every mod is needed a guide and/or video-guide.

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 05:22:19 pm »

However would be interesting to add more content, let me explain: for every mod is needed a guide and/or video-guide.

It will really depend on the person doing the mod though. When I do perform mods, I'm just going to include pictures only.

Equim

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 05:43:38 pm »

It will really depend on the person doing the mod though. When I do perform mods, I'm just going to include pictures only.
In my opinion, detailed pictures with some explanation of what you did, taken along the way are usually better than video.
Unless you have the ability to produce a good video. Videos have the problem of either a clumpsy/shaky camera, bad resolution, bad sound and possibly an accent to deal with. Can get hard to follow. And if you have to go back 3-5 seconds to repeat something constantly, it's just much easier to use images and text :p

hiei

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 05:52:44 pm »

In my opinion, detailed pictures with some explanation of what you did, taken along the way are usually better than video.
Unless you have the ability to produce a good video. Videos have the problem of either a clumpsy/shaky camera, bad resolution, bad sound and possibly an accent to deal with. Can get hard to follow. And if you have to go back 3-5 seconds to repeat something constantly, it's just much easier to use images and text :p

Sure, an image-driven guide per mod would be enough :)

s0ren

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 06:59:43 pm »
+1 on image/text based guides. Video tutorials are frustrating :'(

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 08:47:01 pm »
Yeah, I really hate video tutorials or reviews.

I won't do a write up or a step by step. The images that I will take will have enough details for you to determine what's changed. When it comes to soldering and doing such mods, you need to have some basic electronics skills to complete the task safely. A walkthrough would bypass all the knowledge you would have otherwise obtained doing your own research.

However, there will be enough details such as parts used and the dimensions so that you can replicate the mod

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 11:23:42 am »
Parts came early so I've got some mod updates.

Regarding stereo output:

The good news on this front is that the DS-Lite speakers are exactly the correct size (and impedance). They slot in where the existing speaker goes perfectly. These must be a standard size or something. Now - there is also plenty of room for a left speaker beneath the d-pad. Some minor trimming of the select-button plastic is necessary, but it fits without issue and the button works just as it did before.

Disappointingly, it would appear that the solder pads I identified are not carrying a sound channel. I spent a few hours trying to identify some points that would carry a left-channel signal, but it would appear that the necessary components are not populated on the board (likely a cost-saving measure). Fortunately, as bartimeaus suggested, this can be solved by installing a small, cheap stereo amp, which should be quite easy (for someone actually considering these kinds of mods).

I went ahead and installed the left speaker on my device since I was in there and temporarily wired it up to the pads for the existing sound channel (so essentially it's dual-mono until the stereo amp I ordered arrives).

The keen-eyed among you might also spot another 'mod' (and my terrible, shameful drill-holes for the left speaker lol). I carefully applied black electrical tape around the edges of the display. This eliminates backlight bleed and just looks a lot cleaner (especially coupled with the rs-90 d-pad and the all black DS-Lite speakers).

Single-cell gigantic battery:

Inspired by steward's mod, I tried to find the largest single-cell I could find to cram into the rs-97. It took A LOT of doing, but I managed it (just barely). This is a 3.7v 4000mah "5044147" cell. I knew it would be tight, but I didn't think it would be THIS tight:

The shell needs heavy, heavy trimming to accommodate it, and multiple components will need to be removed/relocated on the mainboard. I removed the TV-out jack (never going to use it anyway) and moved the power button to where it was formerly located (since that stuck up too far in the wrong place). The old battery connector is a given, The EXT port may as well go (not in the way but I plan on relocating the ext-sd there in the future). Unfortunately the headphone jack had to go (though I will be relocating it later on as well) and the faux-gba cart had to be hollowed out.

But, It all came together in the end:

I'll answer any questions that haven't been answered already, but please, if you must quote this post, highlight everything and write --snip-- instead of quoting the full thing.

The stereo amp as well as a QI wireless adapter are on the way, I'll update again once I get those installed.

Cheers and happy modding everyone!  8)

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 11:36:35 am »
Parts came early so I've got some mod updates.

That looks amazing, do you have pictures of the power +/-ve solder points? That should help.

Also, which stereo amp did you purchase? The one I found requires replacing the default potentiometer

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 11:50:23 am »
Thank you! Shoot, I don't have any closeups of it, but when the old battery terminal is removed there are 3 large pads, + is left, middle is blank, right is -/ve. I just followed the label on the stock battery.

I just ordered the one you found. I was thinking about just desoldering and re-using the existing pot. If that ends up being too much of a cluster I'll just use the one it came with, but relocated to where the ext-sd slot is on the faux-gba cart (I need to find a way to cram the headphone jack in there anyway).

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 11:54:30 am »
Thank you! Shoot, I don't have any closeups of it, but when the old battery terminal is removed there are 3 large pads, + is left, middle is blank, right is -/ve. I just followed the label on the stock battery.

I just ordered the one you found. I was thinking about just desoldering and re-using the existing pot. If that ends up being too much of a cluster I'll just use the one it came with, but relocated to where the ext-sd slot is on the faux-gba cart (I need to find a way to cram the headphone jack in there anyway).

Nice, rather curious as to how you are going to fit in more parts. Do you have any theories why the current pot doesn't scale properly with actual volume?

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »
Its interesting actually, its still scaling improperly even when driving two speakers, so if I had to guess I'd say that there's not enough resistance. Wish I had some probing tools, its probably a simple fix.

As for the additional parts, the battery is actually pretty thin. There should be space above it for the (very thin) QI coil, and there is definitely room underneath it for the amp and ext-sd board. Real challenge is going to be the headphone jack, it's too long and tall, but I'm not apple so I want to keep it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:14:08 pm by C0unt_Zer0 »

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 12:18:51 pm »
Its interesting actually, its still scaling improperly even when driving two speakers, so if I had to guess I'd say that there's not enough resistance. Wish I had some probing tools, its probably a simple fix.

As for the additional parts, the battery is actually pretty thin. There should be space above it for the (very thin) QI coil, and there is definitely room underneath it for the amp and ext-sd board. Real challenge is going to be the headphone jack, it's too long and tall, but I'm not apple so I want to keep it.

Makes sense. That means replacing the pot is a good idea too.

With wireless charging, heat is going to be a concern though.

The headphone jack, you could add it horizontally instead of vertically.

C0unt_Zer0

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 12:32:46 pm »
This is true, now that I think about it, it's not worth the trouble to keep the original position of the pot.

Yah my phone gets pretty toasty using QI but it should be alright. I did a similar mod to the a320 years ago though (except using the proprietary palm pre wireless charging coil/puck).

Hmm... I can't really find space for the headphone jack to go horizontally since it's too tall to go under the battery. I have an idea, and it's weird, but the least janky thing I can come up with... I'll have to play around with it next time I've got it open.

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 03:16:29 pm »
I replaced mine with a 2400mah battery, fits snug. I've got space left over on the right and left side to include my hardware battery level indicator and maybe an amp.

Also modified the case by rewiring the "GBA cart" directly onto the board using 0.1mm magnet wire.

Overall, exterior appearance is unchanged though will need some minor refining to make everything neater

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 05:15:49 pm »
Probably going to do a quick charge mod instead an alternative micro usb connector.

Will keep the mini USB port for data transfer (though I don't think I will ever use it).

Will replace EXT with a micro usb port connected to a 2A quick charging mod to charge the battery directly.

bartimeaus (OP)

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2018, 06:13:05 pm »
Here's a picture of my 2400mah battery upgrade with case modding.